• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Yikes. Dude, Chun-li is a little girl at heart. If you think Ryu and Heihachi are going jump around like a giddy school girl after winning https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ha5ldhp2v8s then you are out of your damn mind. Don't play the sexism card. Chun-li isn't bad ass like they are. In fact the reason she gets so much woman is because she's a woman, not depsite it.
Idk man if your standards of coolness are a bland humorless dude who goes around picking fights and an old fart who's tried to kill his kids several times I think there might be a disconnect between you and most people.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
If we're talking female antagonists, there's a %$#@load of Touhou characters. Granted, the majority aren't really evil and become Reimu's friend afterward, but there's still some truly evil ones left.

1608578212506.png

Pictured above is Junko, one of the few unambiguously villainous Touhou characters. Originally, she was Chun Hu, the wife of the Xia Dynasty ruler Hou'yi (Who, according to Touhou lore, is now the same as the Hou'yi who shot down the Nine Sunbirds in Chinese Mythology). However, her husband killed her son and left her for the Lunarian Chang'e.

An important thing to mention is that Junko has the ability of purification; That is, to refine something and remove it of impurities. Due to the way Touhou powers work, this includes concepts. In fact, Junko used this ability on her grudge towards Hou'yi and Chang'e, becoming a spirit of pure resentment. Apparently killing Hou'yi before the events of the game, she staged an invasion on the Moon out of spite towards Chang'e, kicking off the plot of Legacy of Lunatic Kingdom... Which is also considered the hardest game in the series.

Yeah, it's that bad.

To pull off the invasion, she allied with Hecatia Lapislazuli, a Goddess of Hell, the single most powerful character in the franchise, and a literal Hot Topic goth. While Hecatia isn't actually evil, she hates Chang'e as well and so she gave Junko one of her fairies. Now, fairies are the weakest beings in Touhou, but they're made of pure life force.
Since the Lunarians are pure beings with no concept of life or death, fairies are considered poison to them, especially after Junko purified the fairy into Clownpiece... Who also becomes America Incarnate, just to tick off the Moon people more (They thought the Lunar Landing was an invasion so they don't like America).

Since the Moon is now becoming uninhabitable for the Lunarians, they then start an invasion in Gensokyo using Occult Orbs, starting up the plot of the previous game, Urban Legend in Limbo... But that's a story for another day. Anyways, now we must stop the Lunar Capital from manifesting in Gensokyo, and so your player character of choice goes to beat up the Moon People, culminating in the defeat of the Lunarian Goddess Sagume Kishin (Who is also a one-winged angel like Sephiroth for some reason). Then they find out about Junko, so they go and beat up Murica Fairy and then her.

Notably, Junko's boss fight goes against the spell card rules by actually trying to kill you. Her purification gives all her attacks an element of minimalism. It's basically the Touhou equivalent of bringing a shotgun to a game of dodgeball.

And that's your Touhou lore dump for today. Went on for way longer than I expected, but Touhou's a pretty complicated series in general so I probably should've seen this coming. You're probably completely lost right now, and honestly I don't fully understand what the %$#@ is going on either.

So yeah. Junko's a pretty cool female villain. Really really unlikely but I think she fits the topic.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
If we're talking female antagonists, there's a %$#@load of Touhou characters. Granted, the majority aren't really evil and become Reimu's friend afterward, but there's still some truly evil ones left.

View attachment 296654
Pictured above is Junko, one of the few unambiguously villainous Touhou characters. Originally, she was Chun Hu, the wife of the Xia Dynasty ruler Hou'yi (Who, according to Touhou lore, is now the same as the Hou'yi who shot down the Nine Sunbirds in Chinese Mythology). However, her husband killed her son and left her for the Lunarian Chang'e.

An important thing to mention is that Junko has the ability of purification; That is, to refine something and remove it of impurities. Due to the way Touhou powers work, this includes concepts. In fact, Junko used this ability on her grudge towards Hou'yi and Chang'e, becoming a spirit of pure resentment. Apparently killing Hou'yi before the events of the game, she staged an invasion on the Moon out of spite towards Chang'e, kicking off the plot of Legacy of Lunatic Kingdom... Which is also considered the hardest game in the series.

Yeah, it's that bad.

To pull off the invasion, she allied with Hecatia Lapislazuli, a Goddess of Hell, the single most powerful character in the franchise, and a literal Hot Topic goth. While Hecatia isn't actually evil, she hates Chang'e as well and so she gave Junko one of her fairies. Now, fairies are the weakest beings in Touhou, but they're made of pure life force.
Since the Lunarians are pure beings with no concept of life or death, fairies are considered poison to them, especially after Junko purified the fairy into Clownpiece... Who also becomes America Incarnate, just to tick off the Moon people more (They thought the Lunar Landing was an invasion so they don't like America).

Since the Moon is now becoming uninhabitable for the Lunarians, they then start an invasion in Gensokyo using Occult Orbs, starting up the plot of the previous game, Urban Legend in Limbo... But that's a story for another day. Anyways, now we must stop the Lunar Capital from manifesting in Gensokyo, and so your player character of choice goes to beat up the Moon People, culminating in the defeat of the Lunarian Goddess Sagume Kishin (Who is also a one-winged angel like Sephiroth for some reason). Then they find out about Junko, so they go and beat up Murica Fairy and then her.

Notably, Junko's boss fight goes against the spell card rules by actually trying to kill you. Her purification gives all her attacks an element of minimalism. It's basically the Touhou equivalent of bringing a shotgun to a game of dodgeball.

And that's your Touhou lore dump for today. Went on for way longer than I expected, but Touhou's a pretty complicated series in general so I probably should've seen this coming. You're probably completely lost right now, and honestly I don't fully understand what the %$#@ is going on either.

So yeah. Junko's a pretty cool female villain. Really really unlikely but I think she fits the topic.
yooooo that's sick i have to go watch some vids

also has anyone drawn crossover fanart of her with Junko Enoshima from Danganronpa? Important question cuz i think those two would get along really well

Strife

Banned via Warnings
Idk man if your standards of coolness are a bland humorless dude who goes around picking fights and an old fart who's tried to kill his kids several times I think there might be a disconnect between you and most people.
Make whatever passive aggressive jab you want I guess. but you look foolish because you're implying most people don't think Ryu or Hiehachi are cool, and common knowledger will tell you that is false.

And I guess more to the point I'll ask. Do you think jumping around like a teenager like that after winning is cool?

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
To think you'd say because I don't find Chun-Li as cool as some of other male candidates is crazy. Make of that what you will. But yeah cool people don't jump around like that after winning, unless you're gonna say thinking that is somehow sexist too.
I’m just gonna say “cool” people don’t care about what other people think of them (to a fault), nor do they let trivial or arbitrary measurements of “coolness” determine what they do, say, or think.

So in this case I’d say Chun-Li is pretty cool.

Last edited:

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
Yikes. Dude, Chun-li is a little girl at heart. If you think Ryu and Heihachi are going jump around like a giddy school girl after winning https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ha5ldhp2v8s then you are out of your damn mind. Don't play the sexism card. Chun-li isn't bad ass like they are. In fact the reason she gets so much woman is because she's a woman, not depsite it.
uhm.. maybe you are mixing cool with stoic? A stoic character can be cool.. but also a non stoic character can be cool.

Strife

Banned via Warnings
I’m just gonna say “cool” people don’t care about what other people think of them, nor do they let trivial or arbitrary measurements of “coolness” determine what they do, say, or think.

So in this case I’d say Chun-Li is pretty cool.
Just because someone does something stupid or cringeworthy in public doesn't mean they do not care what people think of them.

I mean are you really gonna sit there at your computer and tell me that Chun-Li cares less about what people think of her than Ryu or Hiehachi do?

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Make whatever passive aggressive jab you want I guess. but you look foolish because you're implying most people don't think Ryu or Hiehachi are cool, and common knowledger will tell you that is false.

And I guess more to the point I'll ask. Do you think jumping around like a teenager like that after winning is cool?
Hell yeah, being cheerful and **** without giving a single **** about what other people think about you is incredibly cool. The only uncool thing here is you

Also I spent all day playing Hades and ngl I'm on the Zagreus boat even though he isn't happening lmao

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
Chun-Li is an Interpol officer who fist-fights international super-criminals while wearing a qipao. She's a bad b****.

Last edited:

CodakTheWarrior

Smash Ace
I’ve returned from my lurking to just honestly, sincerely say;

Stop being such a baby. For someone who seems to know everything about being cool you sure don’t know how to be it yourself. Jesus

I’m not even the biggest fan of chun-li but she’s epic. No denying

People just like Chun-li, and have ever since she's been around. Honestly, characters that have traits that both go with and against stereotypes are pretty interesting imo. Chun-li has that. She can be both girly and tough. As someone else said, she's a police officer. That takes guts.

My personal hot take is that "cool" is a lot like the word "cute." They both have a meaning, but it's very broad and basically means "this thing/person is attractive to me in some way." There's a bit of a focus in the way that thing/person is attractive, but there isn't much to it beyond that.

Last edited:

Lyncario

Smash Ace

View attachment 296654

Yeah, it's that bad.

Junko would absolutely be a sick female vilain for Smash. She really is one of the best vilains in Touhou in my opinion, especialy since she has one of the best backstory, motives, and theme of the series.

Strife

Banned via Warnings
uhm.. maybe you are mixing cool with stoic? A stoic character can be cool.. but also a non stoic character can be cool.
Nah, being cool and stoic certainly ain't the samething. An example of a non-stoic character who is cool is Captain Falcon. And example of a stoic character who isn't cool is Byleth

Strife

Banned via Warnings
Chun-Li is an Interpol officer who fist-fights international super-criminals while wearing a qipao. She's a bad b****.
Dude. I'm not even saying Chun-Li is boring (Police officers really aren't cool in 2020 btw), I like her. I'm just saying there are cooler options to pick from. Being in interpol ain't cool, what was cool was her being the strongest woman in the world. And she lost that title to Juri.

Shroob

Sup?
Dude. I'm not even saying Chun-Li is boring (Police officers really aren't cool in 2020 btw), I like her. I'm just saying there are cooler options to pick from. Being in interpol ain't cool, what was cool was her being the strongest woman in the world. And she lost that title to Juri.
Don't you dare bring politics into this goddamnit.

Strife

Banned via Warnings
I’ve returned from my lurking to just honestly, sincerely say;

Stop being such a baby. For someone who seems to know everything about being cool you sure don’t know how to be it yourself. Jesus

I’m not even the biggest fan of chun-li but she’s epic. No denying
Yes she is epic.....but not cool.

I think I am being misconstrued here. I like Chun-li, and giving the options we have left she makes sense. I'm just saying there are cooler options. Akuma/Mortak Kombat/Heihachi, etc.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
so what exactly is this chun-li leak
Long story somewhat shortened:
We're really calling it the Chun-Leak now, aren't we? I feel like that name's kinda misleading, but okay then.
Anyways here's a link to the thing, which will probably get buried pretty soon anyways.
https://smashboards.com/threads/newcomer-dlc-speculation-discussion.453424/page-4813#post-24211016

Since there seems to be some confusion on what it's about, here's the takeaways:
  • The post was made about ten days after SSBU released.
  • Erdrick and Steve were being worked on for the base game, but were scrapped.
    • Hero was already rumored to have been pushed back, and we know Steve was in the works for a long time.
    • Steve apparently had his model working already, which would've sounded pretty unrealistic if he wasn't just six static rectangles.
  • Chun-Li was allegedly replaced with Ken. This would put her in line with the likes of Alucard and Decidueye, who were considered but dropped for the Belmonts and Incineroar, respectively.
  • Both Lloyd AND Yuri were being considered in the planning stages, but were dropped. This would make them more like Steve and Hero. No reason was given, but I have some theories:
    • Nintendo though Bamco was getting a large-enough cut of the base game's sales, an thought it best if a Tales character was confined to a DLC pack.
    • They were holding off to see how well Tales of Berseria and/or Vesperia DE did. Keep in mind the roster was finalized in 2015, so they wouldn't have known at the time.
    • Bamco got Nintendo to hold off for the 25th anniversary. Usually this would mean jacksquat, but seeing as Bamco is also working on the game, they might have more pull over the matter.
  • Sora was a candidate, but he was dropped on the basis that he wouldn't feel right without Disney content (Which is a bit of a hot topic on this thread, so grab a fire extinguisher, just in case).
  • Sephiroth was considered, but conceded to Hero. Seeing as he didn't have a reason for being dropped beyond DQ, which is an entirely separate franchise, it's not surprising that Nintendo went back and gave him a second chance.
  • Geno was stated to have a sensitive position. Squeenix thought he was associated with Smash more than anything, as almost all his requests are for Smash and not a new game. Allegedly, they were "unsure of the fan's real intentions."
And that's the gist of it. Anyways I'm going to put this in my signature so I don't have to keep repeating myself.

Shroob

Sup?
so what exactly is this chun-li leak
tl;dr

10 days after the game launched in Japan, anonymous 5ch poster dumped a lot of stuff including Erdrick, Sephiroth, Steve, Sora's Disney talks falling through, and Geno being a Mii. Said Chun Li was swapped out for Ken due to time constraints and that a Tales of character was planned.

Considering the leak appeared a meager 10~ days after the game launched, people are just watching it right now, since it hasn't gotten anything wrong, and people are kinda expecting Capcom as the next fighter inherently.

Strife

Banned via Warnings
Man

The amount of subjective opinion here is staggering.
Captain Falcon has always been talked about as one of the cooler characters in the game. its why he is played so much in casuals(this is more true in earlier smash iterations than ultimate though). Byleth is often thought of uncool, which is why there was such a huge backlash when he was revealed. People hated him/her for it.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Nah, being cool and stoic certainly ain't the samething. An example of a non-stoic character who is cool is Captain Falcon. And example of a stoic character who isn't cool is Byleth
-Power Rangers aren't cool.
-Captain Falcon is cool.

-Jumping for joy makes you uncool.
-But this doesn't.

Wat?

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero

View attachment 296654

Yeah, it's that bad.

I know nothing about Touhou, but I feel like this bit alone would take up at least three anime seasons...

Also, I was gonna make a Danganronpa joke, but Rie Sonomura Rie Sonomura beat me to it.

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
Mini version.png

So, this is not a prediction list (I am very confident Heavy is not happening for a while, although leaks notwithstanding I think Arle and Hayabusa have a shot, I am very unconfident in a second western third party, and I don't think Min Min will be our only Nintendo rep) nor a true wishlist (I do want Arle, and I would be happy to see Heavy or Hayabusa, but the latter two aren't exactly who I want). Instead, I went in the direction of "what is the pass that I think would appeal to the most people, be the most surprising but also make the most sense in hindsight?" (Yes, I know Hayabusa is commonly speculated. But if it weren't for leaks, I don't think people would be considering him a frontrunner.) The theme here is "difference": I attempted to have minimal connections to previous characters as much as possible.
  1. Genre: All fighters come from a different genre of game, with one psuedo-exception. Aside from the represented Fighting/Sandbox/JRPG, we have Puzzle, First Person Shooter and both Beat em Up (or Hack and Slash, its weapon wielding brother) and Platformer. While Arle herself is from a JRPG, not only is Madou Monogatari very different from Final Fantasy, that's not the series that's being added to Smash.
  2. Moveset: Obviously. Every character has to play differently.
    1. We already know how Min Min, Steve and Sephiroth play.
    2. There are many ways to incorporate a character like Arle, but I feel like a high risk, high reward combo focused rushdown character is the most appropriate. Not here for render reasons, but Carbuncle would be alongside her to give her attacks that extra push in power.
    3. Heavy is obviously a tank. Slow, but lethal if you're too close to him. Most likely some sort of semi-zoner who keeps opponents out by having a ridiculous threat zone up close
    4. Hayabusa might seem a lot like Sephiroth, but his swords would have much less range. Like his games, precision is required to use him effectively.
  3. Reasoning: Fighters pair in twos here.
    1. Iconic to Nintendo: Min Min and Hayabusa. The former is a special case as she was outright a developer request. The latter, through Nintendo history and a very popular resurgance in the 2000's, appeals to an older audience as a sort of psuedo-retro character.
    2. Western Favorites: Steve and Heavy, with all data I can find pointing to Team Fortress 2's Heavy Weapons Guy as THE most currently wanted character in the west (going off of sample size as the most accurate indicator). Minecraft and TF2 are heavily intertwined with the internet, to the point I imagine most people here have heard of both shortly after their initial release, let alone by now. Their histories are distinct, but similar, and it's hard to imagine otherwise.
    3. Eastern Favorites: Sephiroth and Arle, who were both at one point icons in their own right. Sephiroth still is, and in fact he is in the west too (which is why he was considered TGA worthy), but from what I understand he was only a massive request in Japan, where I noticed he was a common prediction among Japanese fans on Twitter (but that's just my experience, the western fandom tends to hold likeliness against characters more often). Arle, from what I understand, is a series popular among not just Japanese fans but also among women, who I can't think of having any major draws during Volume 1 (Byleth?).
  4. Cool/Cute: This concept is mentioned here as an actual factor. Each of these are somewhat subjective, especially in how they're defined, but I feel like it's something to take note of. My understanding is that "cute" characters are for all ages, and "cool" characters are for mature audiences, but it gets more complex than that.
    1. Steve and Arle occupy cute. They're characters for all ages, but somewhat favor the younger crowd. Steve is a much more modern character than most others, and his simple and cutesy animations and series reflects that. Arle's series has a unique artstyle that resembles nothing else, focused on popful colors and silly presentation, with an emphasis on humor in her series.
    2. Sephiroth and Hayabusa occupy cool. They're mature characters more appreciated by older gamers. Sephiroth is an intimidating force that few can hope to stand up to. The Ninja Gaiden games were drastically more cinematic than your average NES title, and from what I understand, the games are mostly very serious.
    3. Min Min and Heavy enter a grey area. Min Min mostly evokes cute, but has elements of cool such as a realistic frame (ARMS and eyes notwithstanding), a more traditional "battle" character and being much more complex than others. Heavy... Heavy is an anomaly. He fulfills cute, with his memetic moments, iconic art style and endearing nature to most players (like eating a sandwich in the heat of battle). He also fulfills cool, being a character from an M rated game using a minigun to turn his enemies into a pile of flesh covered in ketchup.
  5. Owning Party: Considering the trend set by the first pass, Smash 4's DLC and basically anything.
    1. Nintendo, Microsoft (representing Mojang), Square-Enix (Squaresoft), SEGA (Sonic Team/Compile), Valve and Koei-Tecmo (Tecmo)
  6. Reveal order would hypothetically be: February 2021 for Arle (April 2021 Release) - June 2021 for Heavy (September 2021 Release) - October 2021 for Hayabusa (December 2021 Release). [Arle and Heavy use Twitter renders: gengen7210 for Arle, Legoformer1000/Lazersofa for Heavy.]
  7. Yes, I put far more thought into these inclusions than Nintendo or Sakurai did.

Now as for the current topic... I don't really have anything to add. But if the pass did turn out like this, what would you guys think?

I'll post predictions in the future. Wants are the same as ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom