• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I don't get how this is confirmation for chun-li at all, really. A tales character I can get (even though I really absolutely do not want one), but this isn't confirmation for Chun-Li any more than it is for Alucard or Decidueye.
Yeah, I agree. Chun-Li's deal had closure; Being replaced by Ken. The reason we're looking into characters who missed their mark is that it's pragmatic to make use of the deals while you still can, but Chun-Li's deal was probably scrapped after they switched gears to the OG shotoclone, most likely because of time constraints. The main takeaway for me is the possibility of a Tales rep, but everyone's zeroed in on Chun-Li already. I can't control the flow of the conversation, so I guess Chun-Li's our new hot topic character now :drshrug:

SpecterFlower

Smash Ace
To think you'd say because I don't find Chun-Li as cool as some of other male candidates is crazy. Make of that what you will. But yeah cool people don't jump around like that after winning, unless you're gonna say thinking that is somehow sexist too.
I'm still 5 pages behind so maybe it's a bit early to say, but cool people can be anything as long as others and themselves see them as cool, chun is cool and jumping doesn't make her less any less cool. seeing as most people here think she is "cool" maybe you should reassess your definition.

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
Regarding "Pokemon", What does everyone think is more likely to be announced next year for Pokemon's 25th Anniversary?

"Let's Go Johto" ? or "Diamond and Pearl" Remakes?

I personally would be really excited for either of them, Really enjoyed Let's Go Pikachu and I haven't played Pearl in awhile, Grew up playing both as kid, But I hope we do get both eventually.

Last edited:

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
I got a hottake for MonHun that no one will agree with due to the nature of it but since we're tossing out hot takes....

We ain't getting MonHun, because including them as a series is effectively removing content in a weird way.

You're adding Monster Hunter as a franchise, but you're removing what, 30 something stage's abilities to play the 2 tracks already in game? Coupled with the fact that so far nothing about Monster Hunter being in Smash was found in the Giga Leak(Though at the same time, nothing about Smash period, not even the Mii costumes so it's inconclusive at best), I just don't expect it.

Sure, they could do it, but I doubt it IN MY OPINION.
I don't feel like there's any issue, they could easily move them.

The issue is you're relocating content into a different area, so now the old content that 'could' do it now cannot.

That's my main hangup with MonHun. It's an easy fix yes, but then 30~something stages lose 2 music tracks.
But by that logic isn't giving Cloud a new final smash that replaces his old one for one of his alt also considered "removing content" since you can't use his old final smash on one on his alt now? Me thinks you're putting too much thought into this argument. I doubt Sakurai and his team would think this hard on just two songs, especially since they're a non-factor when it comes to choosing the character.

7NATOR

Smash Master
Yeah, I agree. Chun-Li's deal had closure; Being replaced by Ken. The reason we're looking into characters who missed their mark is that it's pragmatic to make use of the deals while you still can, but Chun-Li's deal was probably scrapped after they switched gears to the OG shotoclone, most likely because of time constraints. The main takeaway for me is the possibility of a Tales rep, but everyone's zeroed in on Chun-Li already. I can't control the flow of the conversation, so I guess Chun-Li's our new hot topic character now :drshrug:
I Agree. Tales of Character, like with Sephiroth and Steve, Disappeared according to this leak, and even more in it's favor is unlike Steve or Sephiroth, there wasn't a Namco character that got in first this game

Plus, I think with how the Mii Costumes are spread out and the interviews, there's some suggestion we'll get another RPG Character, perhaps an ARPG in Particular.

Now depending on what Sephiroth's DLC Tourney is, it might mean certain things, because if his DLC tourney is based of his Sword, than I Imagine that Lloyd and Yuri, the characters implicated in this leak, might not be in, or I'd at least be more apprehensive. Your Velvet theory might Put into place some things however, that lines up with some of the other theory crafting

Shroob

Sup?
But by that logic isn't giving Cloud a new final smash that replaces his old one for one of his alt also considered "removing content" since you can't use his old final smash on one on his alt now? Me thinks you're putting too much thought into this argument. I doubt Sakurai and his team would think this hard on just two songs, especially since they're a non-factor when it comes to choosing the character.
I mean, I'd consider Cloud's new final Smash an upgrade all things considered from all aspects, including visual and just spectacle.

You'd literally be unable to play Vs Rathalos on a lot of stages.

I'm not one to ignore the possibility of it happening, but I never had much faith in Monster Hunter despite how much I jokingly pushed for them.

kylexv

Smash Master
Regarding "Pokemon", What does everyone think is more likely to be announced next year for Pokemon's 25th Anniversary?

"Let's Go Johto" ? or "Diamond and Pearl" Remakes?

I personally would be really excited for either of them, Really enjoyed Let's Go Pikachu and I haven't played Pearl in awhile, Grew up playing both as kid, But I hope we do get both eventually.
This kid in me wants Gen 4 remakes since Pearl was my first Pokemon game. Although, after Sword and Shield, I don't have high hopes.
The chaotic energy in me, however, wants Let's Go Pichu so I can sweep through a Pokemon game with Pichu.

Strife

Banned via Warnings
I'm still 5 pages behind so maybe it's a bit early to say, but cool people can be anything as long as others and themselves see them as cool, chun is cool and jumping doesn't make her less any less cool. seeing as most people here think she is "cool" maybe you should reassess your definition.
Maybe I missed it, but I don't think a single person claimed she was cooler than Ryu or Heihachi

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
I don't feel like there's any issue, they could easily move them.

The issue is you're relocating content into a different area, so now the old content that 'could' do it now cannot.

That's my main hangup with MonHun. It's an easy fix yes, but then 30~something stages lose 2 music tracks.
Eh, it's in 30 stages, but among a whole slew of other tracks that it's easily lost among. Plus, with how My Music works many may not have even heard them on those stages, or even have turned them off entirely if they had. The only one where it may be noticable would be the Mii stage, and even then the preferred track is the Dark Lord music.

D

Deleted member

Just wondering, did the Capcom gigaleak contain any information about future crossovers or anything like that. I know about future games being leaked, but I don't think I heard anything about future crossovers through.

Shroob

Sup?
Eh, it's in 30 stages, but among a whole slew of other tracks that it's easily lost among. Plus, with how My Music works many may not have even heard them on those stages, or even have turned them off entirely if they had. The only one where it may be noticable would be the Mii stage, and even then the preferred track is the Dark Lord music.
And that's the thing. I am fully aware it's possible to do.

I just don't think it will personally.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
I mean, I'd consider Cloud's new final Smash an upgrade all things considered from all aspects, including visual and just spectacle.

You'd literally be unable to play Vs Rathalos on a lot of stages.

I'm not one to ignore the possibility of it happening, but I never had much faith in Monster Hunter despite how much I jokingly pushed for them.
Upgrade or not it still fits the description of removing content. You no longer can use Cloud's old FS on the advent alt, so if you're a fan of the old FS and the advent skin then tough luck.

Hell, even assuming Sakurai is this nitpicky about songs, he can just.....keep the two songs available to play on those stages while at the same time making them play in the MH stage. It's not like Min Min appearing as a fighter meant her spirit had to be removed :drshrug:

If you still wanna believe this is a problem then more power to you, but I do think you can maker stronger arguments against Monster Hunter instead of these two songs.

Just wondering, did the Capcom gigaleak contain any information about future crossovers or anything like that. I know about future games being leaked, but I don't think I heard anything about future crossovers through.
Not that I'm aware of.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Yeah, I agree. Chun-Li's deal had closure; Being replaced by Ken. The reason we're looking into characters who missed their mark is that it's pragmatic to make use of the deals while you still can, but Chun-Li's deal was probably scrapped after they switched gears to the OG shotoclone, most likely because of time constraints.
To be fair, the same text suggests that Sephiroth was passed over entirely for Hero. There's nothing stopping them from returning to Chun-Li if they wanted to, the main question is where their priorities lie at this point. I'm pretty sure we'll be getting a Capcom character, so they may feel it's more reasonable to promote Monster Hunter now instead of falling back on more Street Fighter content... or they'll add Chun-Li because she's a big marketable character with mass appeal.

Or something entirely different, who knows - but hopefully you understand what I mean. If Chun-Li was ever up for discussion I'd have a hard time believing they outright abandoned one of the most iconic fighting game characters of all time and one of the most culturally significant characters missing from the game in general without at least a little possibility of revisiting her later.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
Upgrade or not it still fits the description of removing content. You no longer can use Cloud's old FS on the advent alt, so if you're a fan of the old FS and the advent skin then tough luck.

Hell, even assuming Sakurai is this nitpicky about songs, he can just.....keep the two songs available to play on those stages while at the same time making them play in the MH stage. It's not like Min Min appearing as a fighter meant her spirit had to be removed :drshrug:

If you still wanna believe this is a problem then more power to you, but I do think you can maker stronger arguments against Monster Hunter instead of these two songs.

Not that I'm aware of.
But, you're not removing content. At the end of the day, Cloud still has a Final Smash.

If you add MH, you're minus 2 songs on like 30 stages, while putting them all onto a single stage.

You're relocating content from a majority into a single space. Yes, the songs still exist in the game, but they're now consolidated onto a single stage instead of 30~ That's effectively removing content, which is what I do not expect.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Mario (including Wario and Yoshi): Practically everyone noteworthy is here. The only significant Mario staple who isn't on the roster is Waluigi
A... Toad? Yeah Waluigi is more popular, but Toad is clearly more iconic and has been in the Mario games since the original Super Mario Bros. on the NES. Toad is literally the biggest missing Nintendo character in the roster.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
But, you're not removing content. At the end of the day, Cloud still has a Final Smash.

If you add MH, you're minus 2 songs on like 30 stages, while putting them all onto a single stage.

You're relocating content from a majority into a single space. Yes, the songs still exist in the game, but they're now consolidated onto a single stage instead of 30~ That's effectively removing content, which is what I do not expect.
They could just have those songs be in both"Other" AND "Monster Hunter."

Last edited:

SvartWolf

Smash Champion

i feel that you are asuming the team is overcomplicating an extremely easy to resolve issue... just give thos 2 song both tags, teh new monster hunter tag an d teh old one.

They didnt even bothered removing chrom from robin final smash... i don't see why this would be an issue.

Shroob

Sup?
They could just have those songs be in bother "Other" AND "Monster Hunter."
i feel that you are asuming the team is overcomplicating an extremely easy to resolve issue... just give thos 2 song both tags, teh new monster hunter tag an d teh old one.

They didnt even bothered removing chrom from robin final smash... i don't see why this would be an issue.
And do we have any precedence at the moment for that? We could, no doubt, but until that happens, call me skeptical.

And again, this is just my opinion. If I'm wrong, hey, who cares? I just don't see it happening.

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
A... Toad? Yeah Waluigi is more popular, but Toad is clearly more iconic and has been in the Mario games since the original Super Mario Bros. on the NES. Toad is literally the biggest missing Nintendo character in the roster.
Toad... I absolutely despise Toads. They are the bane of my existence. You do make a very good point about something I overlooked but... **** Toads!

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Honestly, it should have been Toad instead of Piranha Plant as the bonus character at the beginning of Ultimate's DLC cycle. Nothing against Plant, but I think Toad and the Wah should have gotten in before the Plant was added.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
It bears repeating that nobody is saying Chun-Li is confirmed. It’s simply that the text suggests some things that are quite interesting.

I know a few folks have mentioned, “Well what about Alucard?” And while they may seem the same I don’t 100% agree.

It comes down to, what did they plan to do? We know that Alucard was considered for the Castlevania character, but they went with the Belmonts. Alucard became an Assist Trophy. With Chun-Li, IF she was considered, like Sephiroth, like Steve, who were there at one point and then gone the next, what does this suggest? Well, instead of following with Alucard and making her an AT, she is a...spirit. Guile is the AT pick. Even if their process of selection was similar, the result wasn’t the same.

Its also worth noting that Decidueye, another pick that we know was considered, really only makes that much sense as a one and done pick being from the latest Pokémon game. Chun-Li does not have that same problem.

I think folks are making connections where there doesn’t need to be- the only characters that are in a potentially similar situation here would be Steve, Sephiroth, and Chun-Li...even Hero if you want to go that far. It’s not quite the same selection process, and as I always say I think these things should be taken in a situational, pick by pick basis.

Does it mean Chun-Li and Tales are confirmed? No. However, I think it’s crazy to write off either Chun-Li or a Tales pick when:

1) They’re both completely viable picks
2) there is missing content that could suggest they’re coming
3) It’s something interesting to talk about

This may seem a bit more on the conspiratorial side, but something to consider: Chun-Li is typically known to be a crossover star similar to Ryu when it comes to Street Fighter. One would think that, if they had no plans to further explore an idea of a character, they would place them in an NPC role. So, thinking about it, why is Guile the AT and not Chun-Li, assuming they had no other plans to explore her in Smash? If they didn’t have spirits for her, that would come off as extremely sus, so that doesn’t mean much to me either.

This also fits a bit of a narrative on Sephiroth. This suggests they had the materials to add costumes and music to base game of Smash, if Sephiroth was in the mix, but...they didn’t. They didn’t add new music or anything to base game, because they added it in his pack.

Obviously, Street Fighter has plenty of music, but it all comes from the same game. Chun-Li has absolutely no shortage of content to bring with her so I don’t think it’s a problem. Of course, I WOULD love content from a different series but Chun-Li is a great pick imho.

Anyway, before I ramble again, it’s good to keep in mind. Don’t claim it as gospel yet, but I think it’s good to keep as part of the discussion.

7NATOR

Smash Master
I will say

While Sephiroth has his quirks, he mostly Plays like a Regular Smash Character, which is a great Contrast to Min-Min and Steve who change the game alot, perhaps too much in some cases

It at least Shows that not every character has to Change the game massively

SharkLord

Smash Hero
To be fair, the same text suggests that Sephiroth was passed over entirely for Hero. There's nothing stopping them from returning to Chun-Li if they wanted to, the main question is where their priorities lie at this point. I'm pretty sure we'll be getting a Capcom character, so they may feel it's more reasonable to promote Monster Hunter now instead of falling back on more Street Fighter content... or they'll add Chun-Li because she's a big marketable character with mass appeal.

Or something entirely different, who knows - but hopefully you understand what I mean. If Chun-Li was ever up for discussion I'd have a hard time believing they outright abandoned one of the most iconic fighting game characters of all time and one of the most culturally significant characters missing from the game in general without at least a little possibility of revisiting her later.
I know, but Chun-Li and Ken are from the same series, and said series already has a boatload of content from the most popular game in the series. Sephiroth and Hero are from different franchises entirely, and Final Fantasy had the most pitiful representation of any third-party with playable representation. I feel like she wouldn't get as much priority. I just feel like we're hopping on the Chun-Li train a bit too soon, especially after Sephiroth became the first DLC from an already represented third-party and we started doing the whole "The next characters will be just like the last one!" thing.

Shroob

Sup?
I know, but Chun-Li and Ken are from the same series, and said series already has a boatload of content from the most popular game in the series. Sephiroth and Hero are from different franchises entirely, and Final Fantasy had the most pitiful representation of any third-party with playable representation. I feel like she wouldn't get as much priority. I just feel like we're hopping on the Chun-Li train a bit too soon, especially after Sephiroth became the first DLC from an already represented third-party and we started doing the whole "The next characters will be just like the last one!" thing.
Not like Fire Emblem cared about that :4pacman:

Joking aside though, does the amount of content in the game really matter, or are we as fans just applying that mentality arbitrarily?

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I dont know why but i homestly dont see dante happening. Its not based on anything, just my gut feeling
I think Dante could still happen. But after seeing Sephiroth get in, I put more stock in Chun-Li now not just because of my biasness for her over Dante, but because of Sephiroth getting in and what I heard from xenother xenother and his source about her being originally planned for base game.

Last edited:
So what we should be saying is, he's in.
k72c15lb3d601.jpg

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Not like Fire Emblem cared about that :4pacman:

Joking aside though, does the amount of content in the game really matter, or are we as fans just applying that mentality arbitrarily?
The main focus isn't just amount of content so much as the lack of it, at least in Final Fantasy's case. It just feels like that would take priority when all the other series have some combination of Assist Trophies, 30+ songs, Echo Fighters, and boatloads of Spirits while Final Fantasy is just Cloud, a stage, two songs, and two Spirits.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom