• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

SirBillyBob

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5257-9274-9505
Also, by the way, Waluigi MIGHT (I Stress the Might) be Deconfirmed for FP2!

2:55

I Imagine Charles might not be able to speak like that if under NDA. Remember that Byleth's Old voice actor leaked that he was coming to Smash early and that was part of the reason why he was canned. Of course this might be looking into it too much

Edit: This was on October of 2020
I doubt most people thought Waluigi was seriously in the running, though I guess you could consider this a disconfirmation. Besides, it's on a video titled "Charles Martinet is a Joy-con boy!" (which is awesome by the way), I don't think it was that serious to begin with.

Also, people really didn't give my last post with Fortnite music a chance, oof.

Greyfox22

Smash Apprentice
So if I'm understanding correctly, the Chun-Li/Tales of rumors have more circumstantial evidence pointing towards a Tales of character while Chun-Li was considered during the development stages but ultimately may have been replaced with "Ken" as a secondary Street Fighter rep. Never played any Tales of games but from what I know about Tales it makes a lot of sense as a potential addition to Smash.

One thing I find interesting is that both waves of smash DLC so far have included a classic fighting game character; smash 4 dlc included Ryu and fighter pass 1 had Terry. I guess Min-Min might count as this pass's fighting game rep but ARMS is a very different kind of game than Street Fighter or Fatal Fury/KOF. I'm still counting on some character to appeal to Fighting Game fans and Chun-Li fits pretty well.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
So if I'm understanding correctly, the Chun-Li/Tales of rumors have more circumstantial evidence pointing towards a Tales of character while Chun-Li was considered during the development stages but ultimately may have been replaced with "Ken" as a secondary Street Fighter rep. Never played any Tales of games but from what I know about Tales it of makes a lot of sense as a potential addition to Smash.

One thing I find interesting is that both waves of smash DLC so far have included a classic fighting game character; smash 4 dlc included Ryu and fighter pass 1 had Terry. I guess Min-Min might count as this pass's fighting game rep but ARMS is a very different kind of game than Street Fighter or Fatal Fury/KOF. I'm still counting on some character to appeal to Fighting Game fans and Chun-Li fits pretty well.
One thing's for sure, it shows how tight the newcomer budget was for the base game. A unique fighter had to be replaced with a semiclone, while Tales has yet to get anything in Ultimate.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
If there's a Tales rep in Volume 2, maybe Namco wanted to push the Tales character deal back to be apart of the 25th anniversary celebration as Volume 2's schedule is during that time.

Last edited:

metalhydra273

Smash Apprentice
The leak says Chun was replaced due to time, not budget afaik.
Chun is nice and all, but am I the only one who feel she would be a kinda underwhelming dlc? It's a returning franchise but without any of the fanfare that Sephiroth was able to bring. Feel like she's one of those inclusions that would be cool for base game, but not a dlc slot with all the other possibilities that are speculated.

Shroob

Sup?
Chun is nice and all, but am I the only one who feel she would be a kinda underwhelming dlc? It's a returning franchise but without any of the fanfare that Sephiroth was able to bring. Feel like she's one of those inclusions that would be cool for base game, but not a dlc slot with all the other possibilities that are speculated.
No, not really. She, along like Samus and Lara Croft, is a pioneer for women in gaming. If Smash is slowly morphing into a gaming all-star, Chun makes perfect sense.

Greyfox22

Smash Apprentice
Underwhelming sounds kinda accurate but I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing. Fighter pass one and two (so far) are full of crazy out there picks that generated lots of mixed reactions and a wide range of emotions. Chun-Li probably wouldn't generate the same levels of hype, or rage, as someone like Steve or Joker but I think she would be a more moderate pick most everyone in the smash community can appreciate and be happy about.

Personally, I haven't been too overly excited for the majority of dlc characters so far (Steve and Sephiroth being exceptions) so I wouldn't mind a pick like Chun-Li at all.

Last edited:

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
Okay, Sakurai is unpredictable. This next fighter will be out of left field. This next fighter will not be a sword fighter. This next fighter will overshadow all previous fighters. This fighter has no style, he has no grace. This fighter—

HAS A FUNNY FACE!
They really need to bring back Lanky and others from DK64, that is easily one of my favorite games of all time thanks to its sheer scope for its time.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
So if I'm understanding correctly, the Chun-Li/Tales of rumors have more circumstantial evidence pointing towards a Tales of character while Chun-Li was considered during the development stages but ultimately may have been replaced with "Ken" as a secondary Street Fighter rep. Never played any Tales of games but from what I know about Tales it makes a lot of sense as a potential addition to Smash.

Specifically, it said:
"I don't know, Chun-Li was there, but somehow replaced with Ken. Bamco had both Symphonia and Vesperia protagonists in the planning stages, but they're not here as well."
So Lloyd and Yuri were both considered too, but didn't quite go through. My theories on why are:
  • Nintendo felt Bamco was getting a large enough chunk of the profits already and were best suited to getting their own DLC pack instead
  • They were holding out to see how well Berseria and/or Vesperia DE did
  • Bamco wanted to wait until Tales' 25th anniversary. Usually anniversaries wouldn't matter, but seeing as Bamco is working on SSBU they might have a bit more pull on the subject.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I get you.

It's not that I don't like Chun-Li. She's always been a favorite of mine. Heck, she was my 2nd vg crush.

But after Ken, a 3rd SF character just doesn't have the impact nor the surprise factor in me.
SF already has a buttload of representation.

Now, just because I feel indifferent towards her inclusion now, doesn't mean that when the trailer pops up, I won't be foaming at the mouth, cause... Those trailers tend to duplicate hype tenfold. I'll most certainly buy her.

But right now, I'm just not feeling it.

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I still strongly predict that if they are going for another Capcom character, it would be between either Monster Hunter or Chun-Li.
Yeah...but no. Arthur.

Stan Estelle Bright from Trails in the Sky and the greater Trails series as a whole.
And the greater greater Dragon Slayer series as a whole.

Welcome to the post-Geno era
"We're in the endgame now..."

I guess a Ganondorf moveset that isn't Falcondorf could be nice too, but that's wishful thinking.
For Ultimate at least.

Last edited:

zumaddy

Smash Ace
Please, please let the Tales character be Yuri if they're taking a slot. I can't stand Tales of Symphonia

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
Also, by the way, Waluigi MIGHT (I Stress the Might) be Deconfirmed for FP2!

2:55

I Imagine Charles might not be able to speak like that if under NDA. Remember that Byleth's Old voice actor leaked that he was coming to Smash early and that was part of the reason why he was canned. Of course this might be looking into it too much

Edit: This was on October of 2020

2nd Edit: Apparently the Byleth actor got canned for spoiling role in Three Houses, not about Smash apparently, but he joked about Smash, but yes
He started his sentence with "I can't tell you that because", if we're gonna play the NDA game then you could use this statement as a way of him trying to not answer the question directly and flubbing accidentally. Or another possibility is that he doesn't know if Waluigi is in since Smash reuses Mario voice lines that they already have in store.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Meh. Chun-Li is iconic, so I'd be okay with her in that sense. Other than that, she'd be another one of those characters who doesn't make me feel anything one way or another. I'd process her reveal and be ready for the next character.

Also doesn't help that most characters from Street Fighter, SNK, Tekken, and other similar fighting games personally don't intrest me very much. I guess it's because their games are really similar to Smash, so you could easily make a moveset for any of them. Characters like Steve have a lot of material to work with, but making it all work in a game like Smash requires more thought.

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
So we know that existing 3rd party series, at least base game ones, can expand. How would you build on the other base game series?
Metal Gear
Character: Raiden
Snake Echo: Liquid Snake
Boss: Liquid Snake piloting Metal Gear REX

Sonic the Hedgehog
Sonic Echo: Shadow
Boss: Eggman piloting Death Egg Robot

Mega Man
Character: Zero
Mega Man Echo: Bass
Boss: Dr. Wily piloting Wily Machine
Mii Gunner: Roll

Street Fighter
Character: Bison
Mii Brawler: Chun Li

Final Fantasy
Cloud Echo: Zach
Boss: Safer∙Sephiroth
Assist Trophy: Chocobo
Mii Swordfighters: FF1 Fighter + FF1 Ninja
Mii Brawler: FF1 Monk

Bayonetta
Bayonetta Echo: Jeanne

Castlevania
Character: Alucard

Dragon Quest
Assist Trophy: Slimes/King Slime

Fatal Fury
Character: Geese

Basically the ones i see are:
I agree with all those(including Raiden). But I wouldn't make Slime a character.

But yeah, you nailed the list.

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I feel that interview with Charles doesn’t necessarily disconfirm Waluigi; it’s possible they’d reuse voice clips from other games, or maybe even ask him to record voices without telling him they’re for Smash (do they do that?). He also said something about not knowing anything about something, though that may have just been about the process of getting and/or working on a character.

He was also asked who he’d like to see, not who he thinks would get in or if one is in, so he would probably be allowed to answer that as long as he doesn’t give anything away, and perhaps he made a tad bit of a mistake in his wording at first.

In conclusion: I don’t know seems okay though I just want the WAH.

Last edited:

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
I mean, owning all the rights to SE part of Super Mario RPG stuff must be pretty cheap for a huge company like Nintendo, and they still don't care? I thought companies were obsessed with trying to get as much stuff back in house as possible coughMarvelcough.
I mean, while the dollars to rights probably isn't huge and it doesn't cost much to license Geno out when relevant... most companies are pretty tight about owning their IPs and don't have any real desire to sell them off even if their inconsequential unless they get something significant out of it. And it's not like Nintendo is lacking IP, hell, they have a pretty big catalogue of IPs they currently own not in use. The problem is that there has to be some financial incentive to go buy Super Mario RPG content, and there just honestly doesn't seem to be any for Nintendo, particularly with the fact that they are currently all that interested in the more carefree interpretations of Mario these days and Super Mario RPG is by far the weirdest and furthest away from their more controlled version of Mario these days.

Like, it sucks for his fan base, but they don't even really seem to see that support enough of a financial motivator for anything beyond the occasional tacked on Mii Costume to existing Square Enix negotiations. It just unfortunately seems like the Geno fan base is going to have to start fresh and try different methods of pushing for his return/being more vocal in ways that will actually reach Nintendo's ears and specifically wallet. Which is why I find notions of them selling Geno's Mii Costume right now and then Geno later on to be wildly misplaced for Ultimate. Geno ain't exactly the character you pick to milk a fan base with TBH.

Last edited:

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
So we know that existing 3rd party series, at least base game ones, can expand. How would you build on the other base game series?
Sonic the Hedgehog
Character: Dr.Eggman
Echo: Tails
Stage: Death Egg

Megaman
Character: Bass
Echo: Protoman
Stage: Hidden Island (MM8)

Dragon Quest
Character: Zoma
Echo: Heroines (3, 4, 9, 10)
Stage: Alefgard

KOF / FF
Character: Mai
Stage: Shiranui dojo

Final Fantasy:
Echo: Zack
Stage: Abandoned Reactor (Nibelheim)

Castlevania:
Character: Alucard
Stage: Dracula's castle, upside down..?

Street Fighter:
Character: Chun-Li
Stage: China

Pacman:
Echo: Ms.Pacman
Stage: Pac Maze (3DS)

Metal Gear Solid:
Character: Raiden
Stage: _____

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
Damn, you guys have been talking about a lot these past couple days. I can’t keep up!

The Doom Slayer/Rayman/Ryu leak would be pretty awesome if it turns out true. But I really doubt it is. Just seems like another wishlist like that fan art from early last week.

As for the Chun/Tales info, I definitely believe that it’s real. It got a lot of stuff dead on. It doesn’t necessarily mean we’ll see those two, but there’s a decent chance now.

I’ve had my doubts about another Namco rep since it’s been 6 years since our last one. But I think this is a good sign. Maybe they couldn’t get it done in-time for base, so Namco just decided to delay it until 2021 since they’re doing a big 25th anniversary celebration. I know Smash doesn’t often celebrate anniversaries but hey Namco’s developing Smash so who knows.

I’d place my money on Yuri since he’s the most popular character in the series. I also think every Mii costume is returning at this point, so that’d rule out Lloyd. It’s a bit suspicious that they didn’t save Heihachi & Gil for this hypothetical Tales pack, but maybe it’s because the pack is Tales or focused. Or perhaps it’d include brand new Namco costumes like Chosen Undead, Nightmare, The Prince & KOS-MOS.

Chun-Li is a bit iffy since it seems like they straight up decided to replace her. It’s also a weird situation where I can see them wanting to finish what they started or choosing someone new from Capcom’s vast library. I’d prefer the latter but I’d still be super excited by Chun’s inclusion. She could represent SF 3/4/5 which are severely under represented.

Or they could go full madman & make her a Vs Capcom rep; similar to how Terry was a KOF/SNK rep despite being branded as Fatal Fury. Either way, I’d want her to play more like how she does in the Vs games. I looooved her in MvCi.

Here’s what they could do:

Chun-Li with Vs. Series Content:

Stage:
London (Capcom vs SNK 2)

Music:
This Is True Love Makin’
Morrigan’s Theme
Strider Hiryu’s Theme
Captain Commando’s Theme
Stage 01 (Ghosts ‘n Goblins)
Metro City Slums (Final Fight)
Devils Never Cry (Devil May Cry 3)
The Sun Rises (Okami)
Akuma’s Theme (Based on the X-Men vs SF version)
Plus all of the music I listed for the SF focused pack too. If this pack is like Terry’s in this hypothetical scenario then we can get that many songs lmao

Spirits:
Morrigan
Strider Hiryu
Captain Commando
Arthur
Mike Haggar
Dante
Vergil
Amateratsu
Viewtiful Joe
Frank West
Cyber Akuma

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
Hello folks, do you think it's possible to get a link to the OG post of the "Chun-Li/Tales Of" rumors i'm seeing here and there?

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

Me personally,

Sonic the Hedgehog
Character- Tails
Stage- Chemical Plant
Music Selection- Remixes and lots of them.
Spirits- Classic versions of Sonic characters

Mega Man
Character- Roll
Stage- Block Man's Level
Music Selection- Where the Wind Blows from MvC, tracks from Mega Man 11
Spirits- More robot masters

Pac-Man
Character- Ms. Pac-Man (figure out your legal crap already Namco)
Stage- Ms. Pac-Maze
Music and Spirit Selection- Everything for all the Pac-Man games Namco pretended didn't exist like Pac-Man World

Street Fighter
Character- Chun-li
Stage- Chinese Market
Music- Tracks from games other than SF2.
Spirits- More fighters from later games
I'll just do fighters and stages and do 3 uniques max for the franchises

:ultbayonetta: Rodin
Stage: Gates of Hell
:ultcloud: Terra
Stage: World of Ruin
:ulthero3: Slime
Stage: Charlock Castle
:ultjoker:Demifiend
Stage: Vortex World
Flynn
Stage: Tokyo
:ultmegaman:Zero
Stage: Central Highway
Bass
Stage: Ruined Street
:ultryu:Chun Li
Stage: Shopping District
Poison
Stage: Metro City
:ultsimon:Alucard
Stage : Clock Tower
Shanoa
Stage: Minera Prison
:ultsnake:Raiden
Stage: Africa (Where he fights the RAY specifically)
:ultsonic:Blaze
Stage: Dead Line
Omega
Stage: Grand Metropolis
:ult_terry: Leona
Stage: Ikari Warboat
Geese
Stage: Geese Tower

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
You know, no matter what Capcom rep we get, fans of other Capcom series won't be happy and would be upset.

Let's say we get Dante, others get upset or salty that it wasn't Phoenix Wright, Amaterasu, Monster Hunter, a Resident Evil rep, Zero, Frank West, Arthur, Morrigan... you name it.
(The 3 big requested ones are Dante, Monster Hunter and Phoenix Wright.)

It's insane how competitive the "Capcom slot" is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom