• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
The Min Min-Steve gap seems to reinforce that COVID wasn't mostly the reason for the huge gaps but that Steve was a nightmare to program and design.

So if the next character takes a while to release, then i bet they are going to have a unusual gimmick.
Not even that. The long wait for Min Min makes sense considering how we jumped from one pass to another. I'm assuming there was some type of gap between her and Byleth.

Last edited:

dream1ng

Smash Lord
I mean, owning all the rights to SE part of Super Mario RPG stuff must be pretty cheap for a huge company like Nintendo, and they still don't care? I thought companies were obsessed with trying to get as much stuff back in house as possible coughMarvelcough.
Yeah, Marvel wants to get its own properties back that it only sold off in the first place when facing bankruptcy. The properties, btw being Spider-Man and X-Men and some of the most valuable IP out there, not... Geno.

Nintendo, on the other hand, is not Marvel or Microsoft or Sony, or even Disney. It doesn't care about saving its own development partners, and hasn't made an acquisition in what, fifteen years? They don't even want to use the existing stable of Mario characters to which they have access, and many have fallen victim to the Wahoominati.

I'm not sure how much they'd care about the supporting cast of SMRPG even if they owned them, let alone with them under Square.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
Not even that. The long wait for Min Min makes sense considering how we jumped from one pass to another. I'm assuming there was some type of gap between her and Byleth.
Heck, Min Min's gap was pretty on par with the time between the game coming out and Joker's release. Only like what, a month longer?

People point to the "We need a little more time!" in the ARMs presentation as a cry for help from COVID delays, but maybe it really was just a teaser to hold us over after all, and we really should have believed Sakurai when he said development was going smoothly.

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master
We haven't had a Online tourney based on Women yet (like a Super Smash Sisters Tournament), so Perhaps They saving that for the another Female character in this pass, since People want to bring up Chun-Li alot these past days

Phoenixio

Smash Apprentice
So what's the point of making a new thread? 4837 pages seems really arbitrary...

Still hoping for an Astral Chain rep, especially since the "leak" about potential male-female voice set!

Shroob

Sup?
So what's the point of making a new thread? 4837 pages seems really arbitrary...

Still hoping for an Astral Chain rep, especially since the "leak" about potential male-female voice set!
Threads that hit a certain page threshold sometimes get real ****y, **** like pages disappearing, etc. It's just a precautionary thing afaik.

Faso115

Smash Lord
I guess i should refresh the memory that the leak only claimed Chun-Li was replaced by Ken. The only reason we are speculating her as a potential choice is that this pass has a patern of going back to cut or scrapped content and repurposing for this pass (Sephiroth and Steve going missing and suddenly here they are, the mentions of Erdrick considered for DLC which is somewhat true)

Also, the leak mentioned two of the Tales of series that i forget but that doesn't guarantee Lloyd.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Yeah, Marvel wants to get its own properties back that it only sold off in the first place when facing bankruptcy. The properties, btw being Spider-Man and X-Men and some of the most valuable IP out there, not... Geno.

Nintendo, on the other hand, is not Marvel or Microsoft or Sony, or even Disney. It doesn't care about saving its own development partners, and hasn't made an acquisition in what, fifteen years? They don't even want to use the existing stable of Mario characters to which they have access, and many have fallen victim to the Wahoominati.

I'm not sure how much they'd care about the supporting cast of SMRPG even if they owned them, let alone with them under Square.
To be blunt, there's not a whole lot of benefits to acquiring the rights for Geno and other SMRPG characters outside making a sequel, which is almost redundant in this century now that Paper Mario and M+L exist. They could add Geno and Mallow to various spin-offs like Smash and Mario Kart, but...is that really worth it to them?

SMRPG is a classic, and while I'm sure Nintendo considers it to be a staple SNES game of theirs, there's really nothing I can see as of now that would motivate them to go through the trouble.

Heck, Min Min's gap was pretty on par with the time between the game coming out and Joker's release. Only like what, a month longer?

People point to the "We need a little more time!" in the ARMs presentation as a cry for help from COVID delays, but maybe it really was just a teaser to hold us over after all, and we really should have believed Sakurai when he said development was going smoothly.
After Steve was released, I knew things weren't as bad as people were thinking. I figured F8 would be released around January, but Sakurai did it even sooner than that.

The "long" delays probably didn't amount to much in the long run, and outside potentially not being able to reveal Steve at E3, I think most of these dates were close to the initial plan.

SirBillyBob

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5257-9274-9505
So this isn't related to the topic at hand but since I see the issue of Music being a potential detriment to Fortnite's inclusion in Smash, I wanted to share some tracks from the game itself. And since the game is on-going, these likely won't be the last. I know how some can feel about Fortnite but I implore you to give these a listen, they're a genuine bop:

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master
Actually though, I got to ask

Which Capcom Character would appeal more to a bigger (Perhaps New) audience

Monster Hunter, Dante, Phoenix Wright, or Chun-Li

Shroob

Sup?
To be blunt, there's not a whole lot of benefits to acquiring the rights for Geno and other SMRPG characters outside making a sequel, which is almost redundant in this century now that Paper Mario and M+L exist. They could add Geno and Mallow to various spin-offs like Smash and Mario Kart, but...is that really worth it to them?

SMRPG is a classic, and while I'm sure Nintendo considers it to be a staple SNES game of theirs, there's really nothing I can see as of now that would motivate them to go through the trouble.

After Steve was released, I knew things weren't as bad as people were thinking. I figured F8 would be released around January, but Sakurai did it even sooner than that.

The "long" delays probably didn't amount to much in the long run, and outside potentially not being able to reveal Steve at E3, I think most of these dates were close to the initial plan.
I still just kinda disagree that Steve was ever intended to come at E3.

It makes perfect sense sure, but like, since Byleth, their pattern has been "Release trailer now, release character in a couple weeks." If Min Min was always going to drop in June, I just don't Steve being the exception.

Faso115

Smash Lord

The thing with Capcom is that, they have so many good choices that is hard to stick with one and that ultimately up to what Nintendo wants.

I feel Dante would get the most uproar and approval given how he has had a lot of backing ever since DMCV came out, not to mention it being a dream match-up to have Dante and Bayonetta in the same game.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
While I do expect Hayabusa to be 3rd character of my current predictions. There's a chance that the mii costume wave with no returning costumes will only have the company of the respective DLC character like the SE characters.

I could see Activision with this considering how stingy they are with Crash before. Or heck, Hayabusa himself only coming with Koei-Tecmo characters.

Last edited:

dream1ng

Smash Lord
I still just kinda disagree that Steve was ever intended to come at E3.

It makes perfect sense sure, but like, since Byleth, their pattern has been "Release trailer now, release character in a couple weeks." If Min Min was always going to drop in June, I just don't Steve being the exception.
Keep in mind that no character since Terry has likely arrived in the way they were first intended, including Byleth.

If any event was going to have a character revealed in advance, it would've been E3. Last year it had two. This year it would've only had... Min Min? From a series we already knew we were getting? I doubt that very much.

Shroob

Sup?
Keep in mind that no character since Terry has likely arrived in the way they were first intended, including Byleth.

If any event was going to have a character revealed in advance, it would've been E3. Last year it had two. This year it would've only had... Min Min? From a series we already knew we were getting? I doubt that very much.
But on the flipside, they gave themselves 2 years for this DLC. And yeah, I fully expect 1 character next year as well. Steve lining up with Minecon and Sephiroth lining up with TGA(And ironically a FF anniversary) feels way too planned to be a coincidence.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
I have mixed feelings on the Chun-Li/Tales leak.

On the one hand, both characters make a lot of sense. Chun-Li is the first lady of fighting games and one of gaming's biggest female stars after Peach, so she has that same star power Sephiroth did in being gaming's most iconic baddie that's not part of Mario's rogue gallery. Likewise, Tales is the next biggest RPG not in Smash yet and both Lloyd and Yuri could bring a fun and unique moveset.

On the other hand, I think we're biting a little too hard on what's essentially a greentext leak. Both Erdrick and Steve were already heavily discussed in Smash Ultimate's early DLC period because Vergeben had given his blessing to some kind of Dragon Quest and Minecraft content, so going "Oh yeah, those two were planned for the base game but fizzled because lawyers gonna lawyer" and being right wasn't a big jump. Similarly, I believe that post came after the Seven Squares leak, meaning that the post's author could have looked into the line-up and thought the Luminary and Sephiroth were the most practicable options and would make Square the happiest. There's also the issue of Min Min's kicks feeling like a deliberate attempt to make her more like Chun-Li, which raises the question of why this would be done if we're getting the real Chun-Li in the near future.

I also think it's worth noting that, even if Chun-Li and Tales were cut from the base game and Cut Content theory is true, that doesn't necessarily mean for a fact that those two are next. We already know that Alucard, Decidueye, and Rex were all considered for the base game and there are probably dozens more that we don't know about. For example, it's kinda taken for granted that the Chorus Kids were, if nothing else, heavily considered for Smash for Wii U and 3DS, as the community deduced this from the Gematsu leak's otherwise strong record and the fact that Rhythm Heaven is lumped with the series that have fighters in Smash for 3DS' code. Characters can come very close to making it into the game with Sakurai ever publicly acknowledging their existence. There's also the fact that Fighter's Pack 11 could very well be another promotional pick for a 2021 release, so that further reduces the possibility of both Chun-Li and Tales coming down the pipeline.

I don't know, I could definitely see it happening, but I think people are latching on to this way too quickly.

osby

Smash Obsessed
It feels weird that we're actually speculating over a believable "leak" for so long since forever. When was the last time, the Brave leak? Either way, this time it's refreshing and interesting for me, probably because there's no high stakes.

Also, yay, a new thread for us to fill with memes.

SNEKeater

Smash Master

That's a good question.

If you're asking that in general, that is: trying to attract players who aren't really into Nintendo or not really passionate about their IPs, and making headlines, I feel the best option would be Dante. I won't deny my bias here, but it is truly what I think.

But if the question is about bringing more Nintendo users who don't own Smash, then the answer would probably be Monster Hunter. MH has strong ties with Nintendo consoles in recent history and adding a character in Smash would improve that synergy between Nintendo and Monster Hunter.

Chun-Li is definitely a bigger name though, the thing is, if a Street Fighter fan hasn't bought Ultimate when it already has Ryu and Ken, I doubt Chun-Li would make a great difference or accomplish what Ryu and Ken didn't, even if she's a really well known character.

About Phoenix Wright, well, I'd love having him in Smash but in regards to this question, I don't think he would bring a lot of new audience. Ace Attorney as a series has strong ties to Nintendo, he's a popular request and would bring some new people to Smash, I think. Maybe more than Chun-Li, even if it's because we have 2 SF representatives and SF content, while Ace Attorney doesn't have anything in Ultimate.

dream1ng

Smash Lord
But on the flipside, they gave themselves 2 years for this DLC. And yeah, I fully expect 1 character next year as well. Steve lining up with Minecon and Sephiroth lining up with TGA(And ironically a FF anniversary) feels way too planned to be a coincidence.
There's also evidence for both that the in-game events surrounding them had to be reshuffled.

Out of all the venues for reveal - E3 is given the highest priority. Every year Smash is there, it always has a big reveal. And it'd be one thing if FP7 wasn't a big character. Or the character was too far off to have a trailer ready for E3. But neither of those things is the case.

I have little doubt that Steve was to be revealed there. When he was to be released is another story. But I suspect we're at an impasse.

Shroob

Sup?

On the one hand, both characters make a lot of sense. Chun-Li is the first lady of fighting games and one of gaming's biggest female stars after Peach, so she has that same star power Sephiroth did in being gaming's most iconic baddie that's not part of Mario's rogue gallery. Likewise, Tales is the next biggest RPG not in Smash yet and both Lloyd and Yuri could bring a fun and unique moveset.

On the other hand, I think we're biting a little too hard on what's essentially a greentext leak. Both Erdrick and Steve were already heavily discussed in Smash Ultimate's early DLC period because Vergeben had given his blessing to some kind of Dragon Quest and Minecraft content, so going "Oh yeah, those two were planned for the base game but fizzled because lawyers gonna lawyer" and being right wasn't a big jump. Similarly, I believe that post came after the Seven Squares leak, meaning that the post's author could have looked into the line-up and thought the Luminary and Sephiroth were the most practicable options and would make Square the happiest. There's also the issue of Min Min's kicks feeling like a deliberate attempt to make her more like Chun-Li, which raises the question of why this would be done if we're getting the real Chun-Li in the near future.

I also think it's worth noting that, even if Chun-Li and Tales were cut from the base game and Cut Content theory is true, that doesn't necessarily mean for a fact that those two are next. We already know that Alucard, Decidueye, and Rex were all considered for the base game and there are probably dozens more that we don't know about. For example, it's kinda taken for granted that the Chorus Kids were, if nothing else, heavily considered for Smash for Wii U and 3DS, as the community deduced this from the Gematsu leak's otherwise strong record and the fact that Rhythm Heaven is lumped with the series that have fighters in Smash for 3DS' code. Characters can come very close to making it into the game with Sakurai ever publicly acknowledging their existence. There's also the fact that Fighter's Pack 11 could very well be another promotional pick for a 2021 release, so that further reduces the possibility of both Chun-Li and Tales coming down the pipeline.

I don't know, I could definitely see it happening, but I think people are latching on to this way too quickly.
Oh, no, we're keeping a very skeptical stance no doubt. Like I said, it's very 50/50, like all leaks. It's just unlike a lot of leaks, this one isn't just "Gets one small thing right."- the leak, like the LoL leak or the 5ch leak that only predicted Sephiroth and literally nothing else.

Even if Chun Li does pop up in March, the leak is in no way confirmed yet, that would have to be when both Chun AND a Tales of leak are in game.

We got 71 days until March anyway, just something to discuss in the meantime to pass the time.

CureParfait

Smash Ace

I think Monster Hunter will appeal more to a bigger and new audience given how big it is on the popularity scale.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I said back in July that there was a decent chance Min Min was all they had planned even before COVID-19, but an overwhelming majority disagreed since Nintendo ALWAYS has two or more characters at E3. More fuel was added to the fire once we learned it was Steve. Min Min alone apparently wasn't big enough for E3.

There's no way to prove it one way or another, so I just list it as a possibility and let people think whatever they want. I doubt E3 2021 will have a double reveal anyway, so at least part of the argument could be made redundant by June.

Shroob

Sup?
There's also evidence for both that the in-game events surrounding them had to be reshuffled.

Out of all the venues for reveal - E3 is given the highest priority. Every year Smash is there, it always has a big reveal. And it'd be one thing if FP7 wasn't a big character. Or the character was too far off to have a trailer ready for E3. But neither of those things is the case.

I have little doubt that Steve was to be revealed there. When he was to be released is another story. But I suspect we're at an impasse.
Yeah, but that was in the middle of September, like, a week or 2 before Steve finally was shown off.

Last edited:

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
Thing is though for Monster Hunter is that if Nintendo always planned to have 2 seasons of DLC from the get go(and there's a bit evidence with that with Steve and Sephiroth) then that would hurt their chances in my eyes as the MH's music is already in the Misc section. Or at least that's my way of thinking that a playable Hunter was never in the minds of Nintendo to begin with if that's the case. Maybe Considered at least.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Thing is though for Monster Hunter is that if Nintendo always planned to have 2 seasons of DLC from the get go(and there's a bit evidence with that with Steve and Sephiroth) then that would hurt their chances in my eyes as the MH's music is already in the Misc section. Or at least that's my way of thinking that a playable Hunter was never in the minds of Nintendo to begin with if that's the case. Maybe Considered at least.
Is life no longer worth living if you can't play Rathalos' theme on Hanenbow?

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I guess i should refresh the memory that the leak only claimed Chun-Li was replaced by Ken. The only reason we are speculating her as a potential choice is that this pass has a patern of going back to cut or scrapped content and repurposing for this pass (Sephiroth and Steve going missing and suddenly here they are, the mentions of Erdrick considered for DLC which is somewhat true)

Also, the leak mentioned two of the Tales of series that i forget but that doesn't guarantee Lloyd.
Yeah, Chun-Li got replaced with Ken and Lloyd and Yuri were in the planning stages but disappeared. The main reason we're discussion them is the Second Chance Theory. It's also why I prefer to call it the Dropped Deals leak, since Chun-Lloyd implies that it's just "CHUN-LI AND LLOYD ARE COMING TO SMASH GUYS!!!"

osby

Smash Obsessed
On the other hand, wouldn't the same thing apply to ARMS? The base game stuff it got implied that this was all it was getting but if they knew a second season coming, they could have just add ARMS content later.

Clumsyzephyr

Smash Journeyman

The only thing here I can agree with is them just potentially being cut and not revisited. Although even then I find it hard to believe since the Tales characters were specifically stated to be in the planning stage, meaning that they had already licensed the characters and most likely everything with them. I also don't believe Min Min would hurt Chun-Li's chances for being "too similar" considering their home game mechanics would make them vastly different in terms of playstyle. The Seven Squares leak didn't travel very far at all and actually contradicts some of the info given in this leak too.

Again, I don't 100% believe it, and I'm sure nobody else here does, but I think there's good reason people are really biting hard on it compared to other recent leaks.

SharkLord

Smash Hero

Actually it was Erdrick that was listed, not Luminary.

But yeah, I agree. It's believable, but it could still be fake. it's just nice to have something to talk about, especially given that most leaks are pretty samey and/or unrealistic. Who knows when we'll find another good one like this.

It should also be noted that Alucard and Decidueye got closure, as they were dropped in favor of Simon and Incineroar. Chun-Li was allegedly replaced with Ken, so I have my doubts on her. Lloyd and Yuri, on the other hand, weren't really justified, so I'm more comfortable in predicting them. It helps that I was already leaning towards Lloyd before the Dropped Deals leak gave me an excuse to delve deeper into them.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Potentially, but we also have to consider that ARMs was in a similar position with content already present in the base game. Additionally, they likely wouldn't have been heavily considered for base game due to releasing late as the project plan was already in place and they couldn't shift time and resources to a franchise when the game's development was already in full steam. Yet despite all of that they still added Min-Min into the game and just expanded on the pre-existing content, rather then ignore her for another franchise that may've been considered instead.

Additionally, while we're currently making the assumption that all of the characters in this pass are going to be pre-planned ones, we can't ignore that plans do change and business shifts. A character being skipped over previously may get something that pushes things in their favor in the future, and conversely, something may happen that may make a character that was heavily considered before fall to the wayside. We've seen it both ways as characters like Chrom, Ridley, and Villager were characters excluded for one reason or another before Sakurai changed his mind on all three whereas we still have no signs that Chorus Kids, Dixie or Toon Zelda are ever coming to the game despite being in the planning stages before.

Also, it should be noted that Monster Hunter's music is listed differently in the game's code. Instead of being generically sorted like franchises such as Ever Oasis, the two tracks in the game are listed independently under its own franchise. So it being under Other probably doesn't mean much as it's already listed differently, and at worst it'd probably be a case like ARMs where they just make a category for the franchise and put the pre-existing content under it.

7NATOR

Smash Master
Here's some Theorycraft about the Following Next 3 Characters

-The Mii Costume spread still kinda suggests we might get another RPG Character in this pass. I guess Smash DLC really can't go without having more than 1 RPG Character (Whether that's a Bad thing or Good thing is up to you)

-I Also Imagine Ryu Hayabusa has to show up sometime, now whether he's playable or not is the question.

-Sega and Capcom currently have not had Costumes in FP2, though Sega has no Veteran Costumes left though.

-Tournament Theory would suggest we get another 2010 Character in this pass.

-Arc System Works does not have it's Flagship franchises despite having a Kunio Spirit Event. Guilty Gear and Blazblue are Fighting game franchises

-Around 15ish Hypothetical Mii costumes left, with Lloyd and Monster Hunter taking 3 Slots, meaning around 12 will have to be Completely new

Powerman293

Smash Ace
I wouldn't be surprised if Monster Hunter discussions went as far back as Steve did. After all, those games were defining of the 3DS era of Nintendo in Japan, right when Smash 4 was ongoing. Plus World in the works, plus Rise being worked on. There was always something to keep MH in the spotlight and talks going.

7NATOR

Smash Master
Also, by the way, Waluigi MIGHT (I Stress the Might) be Deconfirmed for FP2!

2:55

I Imagine Charles might not be able to speak like that if under NDA. Remember that Byleth's Old voice actor leaked that he was coming to Smash early and that was part of the reason why he was canned. Of course this might be looking into it too much

Edit: This was on October of 2020

2nd Edit: Apparently the Byleth actor got canned for spoiling role in Three Houses, not about Smash apparently, but he joked about Smash, but yes

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend
I Imagine Charles might not be able to speak like that if under NDA. Remember that Byleth's Old voice actor leaked that he was coming to Smash early and that was part of the reason why he was canned. Of course this might be looking into it too much

Edit: This was on October of 2020
No. The actor leaked that he was doing Byleth in Three Houses while under NDA. He did joke about Smash Bros, but he wasn't supposed to reveal his role in doing Byleth for Three Houses. That was the reason why he was canned, not because of talking about Smash Bros.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom