• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ivander

Smash Legend
Touhou's niche as hell to most of the world, but it's enormous in Japan. Same could be said of Fate, really. Fate started as just some visual novel, now it's arguably one of Sony's most profitable IPs.
Grand Order only. Sony gets nothing from the other Fate stuff.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
I strongly disagree. She’s far too unique to fit any of the Mii types - her rapid fire doesn’t fit Gunner, they wouldn’t limit her to her gōhei for Swordfighter, and Brawler... yeah no
Well Bomberman is a Mii Brawler and that doesn't really fit particularly well either, so I don't think "too unique to be a Mii" applies all that much in any situation. If they wanna throw a bone to a series, they'll usually just do it anyway.

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I strongly disagree. She’s far too unique to fit any of the Mii types - her rapid fire doesn’t fit Gunner, they wouldn’t limit her to her gōhei for Swordfighter, and Brawler... yeah no
Yeah, they would never take a character known for using knives, crossbows, swords, fists, and the hidden blade and relegate him to a simple Mii.

cries in Altaïr

Last edited:

Technomage

Smash Champion
Why can I totally see Sakurai doing this?
Maybe if he were to seriously implement it, he'd probably have it be a special move that activates a temporary buff (a la Wii Fit Trainer) that has Reimu automatically dodge projectiles while it's active, and give it a cooldown that extends past the buff's duration (so it doesn't become too close to broken)?

7NATOR

Smash Master
I think she has a SOLID chance of being a Mii costume. Just like all the other indie characters.
Gotta agree if Reimu is getting in she'll certainly be a Mii.
I will say that we haven't gotten a Indie Mii Costume at all in FP2, unless you want to Count Travis as indie (or if you count Minecraft as indie, since we had Minecraft Mii Costumes), but I know some don't

Though to be fair, the Mii Costumes have been kind of annemic, and they heavily re-using assets for the Miis. Since a Majority of Indies only exist in 2D form, there be more effort in adding in Miis than regular characters, and it depends on if they do that or not, especially if you go with the theory that they are focusing mainly on Re-using negotiations made during Base game time/FP1 time. In any case, we should get a Shovel Knight Mii Costume soon, there's assets already in Smash to re-use and everything, unless they actually make Shovel Knight playable.

On Reimu specfically, I do got to kind of agree that I don't think she may be playable. she certainly as her merits, but I'm not feeling her being one of the last 2

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
If we get more indie costumes with music please don’t let it be limited to Gunners only give Swordfighters and Brawlers a chance

I can think of some:
The Knight from Hollow Knight (Swordfighter, any song will do but if that one rumor is true, Sealed Vessel remix would be sick)
Ori (Brawler; either Light of Nibel or Restoring the Light, Facing the Dark)

BernkastelWitch

Smash Ace
Admittedly I can't see how Reimu would be if she got Mii'd. Maybe a Swordsman, I guess with her gohei? No matter how you spin it she wouldn't look natural. At least with the other Mii's in the game, they all felt like they made some amount of sense on what Mii type they were but there's too many variables for me to imagine what Mii Reimu could be.

And bizarrely we haven't had an Indie Mii in a while. I was pretty sure we'd get a Hollow Knight Mii Costume. We haven't even had a Premium Mii Costume with a song either.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Heck with expectations

Peck logic

Y'all ain't gonna be ready for when it's Reimu Teimu

Yeah no Touhou getting in Smash is a pipe dream.

But it's a pipe dream that gets me Bad Apple and UN Owen so HECK YEAH GIMME THAT TOUHOU IN SMASH.
that gif lmaoooo 🤣

Bad Apple and UN Owen tho? That’s entry level, give me Solar Sect of Mystic Wisdom ~ Nuclear Fusion! GIVE ME #$&%ING NECROFANTASIA!

in all seriousness I do like Bad Apple and UN Owen but those other two I mentioned, HNNNNNNG I NEED

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Who do you guys think would be the most controversial character to end Ultimate's run with?

Ones I can think are is Jonesy and a 9th Fire Emblem character.

Paraster

Smash Lord
If we get more indie costumes with music please don’t let it be limited to Gunners only give Swordfighters and Brawlers a chance

I can think of some:
The Knight from Hollow Knight (Swordfighter, any song will do but if that one rumor is true, Sealed Vessel remix would be sick)
Ori (Brawler; either Light of Nibel or Restoring the Light, Facing the Dark)
Another Brawler: Zetterburn (or Orcane?) from Rivals of Aether. If you're doing indie Mii costumes, grabbing one from an indie platform fighter makes too much sense.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
Admittedly I can't see how Reimu would be if she got Mii'd. Maybe a Swordsman, I guess with her gohei? No matter how you spin it she wouldn't look natural. At least with the other Mii's in the game, they all felt like they made some amount of sense on what Mii type they were but there's too many variables for me to imagine what Mii Reimu could be.

And bizarrely we haven't had an Indie Mii in a while. I was pretty sure we'd get a Hollow Knight Mii Costume. We haven't even had a Premium Mii Costume with a song either.
Real talk, PreMiiums have been such an underutilized concept. They just gave us this cool idea with Sans and Cuphead and then...Nothing.

In true Nintendo fashion, I suppose. :181:

BernkastelWitch

Smash Ace
Who do you guys think would be the most controversial character to end Ultimate's run with?

Honestly speaking, every character is gonna be controversial in some way, even if it is someone commonly discussed here. At least that's if we look at how people reacted to the past fighters.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

Another Xenoblade character in a row. For me it depends, I’ll be celebrating if it’s Elma or Fiora but mark my words I will be “wtf m8?!” If it’s a Nopon

tbh tho I think almost anyone will be controversial, it depends on who you ask
Another Brawler: Zetterburn (or Orcane?) from Rivals of Aether. If you're doing indie Mii costumes, grabbing one from an indie platform fighter makes too much sense.
Got some more:
Shantae if she can’t be playable (Brawler, idc what song really they’re all bops)
Gunvolt if he can’t be playable (yes, a Gunner. He’s the exception here I need my Lumen jams. Or even Lola if you have a Copen costume point is I heckin love Gunvolt)

Last edited:

MooMew64

The one I want:

It would be a blaze of fury that would make Byleth and Corrin's reactions look tame.

I'd just be too excited that my favorite 'Mon got in. :139:

SKX31

Smash Master
Imagine if Reimu had this in Smash:
View attachment 307052
She would become the Quickplay favorite instantly because of that alone.

Honestly speaking, every character is gonna be controversial in some way, even if it is someone commonly discussed here. At least that's if we look at how people reacted to the past fighters.
While it's true, there are some characters that would be incredibly hotly debated no matter what. Complete ? marks in Nintendo's major regions like Garena Free Fire for example (while that would make its fans in SEA, LatAm and India happy because, hey, validation, it would elicit cries of "Wasted Slot!" and "Literally Who?" in JP / NA / EU). A Pokemon tied specifically to Pokemon Unite or an EA character would also be incredibly controversial because of their indirect associations.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
The mainline/official Touhou games do seem to be exclusive to Japan aside from fanmade patches that sound a bit confusing to apply iirc; I think only the newest game has an official localization if I remember right.

I think it’s cool and stuff, but yeah I also only know about it from here and Undertale inspirations/discussions and a soundfont or something lol, I think only actually knowing it for more than its genre/title (and Battle Against a True Hero using Touhou horns) after seeing Reimu discussed here.

Although, I could see it being treated similarly to Mother 3 in Smash, seemingly getting more stuff because the West got a hold of it and stuff themselves/it was popular (I’m not fully aware of Touhou’s western popularity though, but it seems decent).
Actually, they're not Japan-exclusive. There's a wide selection of Touhou games available for purchase on Steam. It's just that the one guy who makes the games leaves the translation to the fans, so with the exception of one fighting game, you'll need to download a patcher. Basically, you can play it worldwide, but it's a bit more complicated than just buying it off the store. At the very least, you don't have to jump through all the hoops for the fangames and music covers.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
As far as most controversial yeah another FE fighter or Fortnite one would top the list. A Pokémon character would be close, though I suspect there's enough cynical expectation of it that the antipathy would be blunted by more apathy than anything else.

As far as dark horse choices, another gaming mook like Piranha Plant would probably get some heated reactions I'd bet. Zelda finally gets another rep in and its a Moblin? Oomph, would not want to see the fallout from that.

Last edited:

MooMew64

Honestly I'm not so sure about that.
Nah it would be a dumpster fire IMHO.

There are a good number of people in the Smash community especially who have pretty much decided a Pokemon is the "Worst case scenario" and SwSh is still a sore spot for a lot of people: It'd definitely spark some tempers from those with strong opinions on both the amount of Pokemon reps and SwSh drama.

I'd love to be wrong and see excitement for one of my all-time favorite Nintendo characters, but unfortunately if we get something like Cinderace I'm expecting a lot of salt.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334

My boy Sgt. Cortez going to make people play that "literal who?" card in challenger pack 11.

Time to Split

I'm ready to go compressed.gif

7NATOR

Smash Master

I actually think if we got a 9th Fire Emblem character, it wouldn't even be controversial at that point, it might just be straight up majorly hated, unless maybe it was Lyn, and maybe Tiki and Black Knight

In any case controversial characters

-Jonsey
-Pokemon
-EA Characters
-League of Legends
-Falcom characters
-Overwatch characters
-Mobile game characters
-Isaac
-Waluigi (Maybe?)
-Shadow
-Five Nights at Freddy's
-Among Us
-Saber
-Granblue (or Dragalia Lost) (Also goes with Mobile gaming)
-Sylux
-Porky
-BOTW Zelda (Might just be straight up hated)

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
A Gen 8 Pokemon to close things out would definitely generate a lot of salt but I don't think they'd be received as badly as another FE character just because they wouldn't be another "generic anime swordsman" that the Smash community loves so much and the stigma against the series' representation in Smash already.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I actually think if we got a 9th Fire Emblem character, it wouldn't even be controversial at that point, it might just be straight up majorly hated, unless maybe it was Lyn, and maybe Tiki and Black Knight

In any case controversial characters

-Jonsey
-Pokemon
-EA Characters
-League of Legends
-Falcom characters
-Overwatch characters
-Mobile game characters
-Isaac
-Waluigi (Maybe?)
-Shadow
-Five Nights at Freddy's
-Among Us
-Saber
-Granblue (or Dragalia Lost) (Also goes with Mobile gaming)
-Sylux
-Porky
-BOTW Zelda (Might just be straight up hated)
Why would Falcom be controversial?

with that in mind, I GUESS also Reimu would be controversial to the typical Western gamer unfamiliar with Touhou. Maybe KOS-MOS too cause Xenosaga’s last game was 2006 and the remaster was shot down due to lack of interest

I’d welcome both tho

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Why would Falcom be controversial?

with that in mind, I GUESS also Reimu would be controversial to the typical Western gamer unfamiliar with Touhou. Maybe KOS-MOS too cause Xenosaga’s last game was 2006 and the remaster was shot down due to lack of interest

I’d welcome both tho
Who was the guy who said they weren't interested in a Xenosaga remaster again? I've heard Bandai Namco is in a bit of an... awkward position, mostly because not putting the new Tales game on Switch is apparently going to doom it for Westerners, but I don't know any specifics.
From my time in one Discord server... Yeah, Euden would be like blasting a %$#@ing flamethrower on a gas station

As such, I now want him because %$#@ you, that's why
The BEST reason to want a character.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Something I think is worth noting is the difference between salt over a personally unknown character (like a League of Legends fighter might be a to a lot of people) and one that's related to characters/franchises that are quasi known but not appealing to specific people (basically a decent portion of the Fire Emblem cast in Smash as one example). In my experience the latter will get far more hate the former. "Literally who?" is often accompanied by some distaste or slight bitterness about wasted slots, but at least is mitigated by its very unknown status meaning that there might be a hint of potential to it.

A Fortnite fighter is going to get some real hate because there's a chance that many are familiar with it and actively are not interested (either do due to gameplay, design, or just plain overexposure) in having it be featured in Smash.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom