• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I think we'll get at least one more. Most likely as Fighter 11, based on past precedent.
We also have "precedent" established by Smash 4 of a third party closing out DLC. Not to say we definitely will or won't close out with a first party, but I think it's arbitrary to expect it just because we did last time.

Last edited:

yeq

Smash Cadet
We also have "precedent" established by Smash 4 of a third party closing out DLC. Not to say we definitely will or won't close out with a first party, but I think it's arbitrary to expect it just because we did last time.
but i feel like the theories about byleth are true. like she probably was a different character.

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
Rising from the grave.

I think nintendo is done with 1st party reps this pass. Am I the only one?
Yeah, I think Pyra and Mythra are our last first parties. Unfortunate for characters like BWD, they got snubbed. Maybe if theres individual DLC or FP3. Otherwise he and others are probably gonna have to wait till Ultimate Deluxe or Smash 6 or whatever.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
While Bayonetta was the last character revealed, Corrin was still announced in the same direct and released in the same update. I think we can still count that as a first-party at the end.

yeq

Smash Cadet

Yeah, I think Pyra and Mythra are our last first parties. Unfortunate for characters like BWD, they got snubbed. Maybe if theres individual DLC or FP3. Otherwise he and others are probably gonna have to wait till Ultimate Deluxe or Smash 6 or whatever.
oh yeah speaking of which do you guys think fp3 is gonna be a thing

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Not really, no. Sakurai's stated this will be the end of development, which has been going on since as far back as Smash 4, the reveals seem to be speeding up, and the dev pictures for PotD are running out. I'd like for there to be another pass so we can have more fighters and get more chances to fulfill people's wishes, but I'm keeping expectations low until Sakurai actually announces it.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I’m not expecting it to be a thing but I would love to be wrong. On the bright side, I’ve been holding off modding the game until all the DLC is released so if it is, I’ll have an excuse to try getting some mods and maybe try making one myself eventually. Mods made Brawl last forever for me and made it way more enjoyable than it ever would have been otherwise. Ultimate doesn’t really have much a modding community compared to Brawl but there are still a few great looking mods already.

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
but i feel like the theories about byleth are true. like she probably was a different character.
I really doubt that, I think most people just want to believe that because they don't like Byleth. I personally don't like Byleth either, but showcasing a big new step forward for a series that has always used Smash as a means of promotion makes enough sense. The logic that Sakurai gave was that Nintendo wanted to add a character from a game that was fresh in people's minds. Three Houses was in the perfect spot for that to happen.

While Bayonetta was the last character revealed, Corrin was still announced in the same direct and released in the same update. I think we can still count that as a first-party at the end.
The point is that they can end on whoever they want. I can't really wrap my head around the idea that it has to be a first party because... I dunno, people think it needs to be underwhelming or disappointing in some way? That seems to be the mindset behind it for most, which is kind of nonsensical. I imagine that they do frontload these passes and we may end on a character smaller than Steve or Sephiroth, but that doesn't mean we have to get another Byleth... and I don't have much faith in any first parties without something meaningful to promote at the moment.

I think the precedent set by Byleth that people should pay more attention to is what I explained before, how Nintendo wanted a character from a newer game that people would be playing at the time of release. For FP1 that happened to be Byleth, for FP2 that could be someone like Monster Hunter who falls within a similar timeframe of six or so months between the release of MH Rise and the presumed release of our final DLC character. Nintendo doesn't have a whole lot of their own new content to prominently show off beyond series and characters that are already in Smash.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
Well, we're almost there.

CP4's presentation will be upon us soon, meaning we're effectively over the halfway point now.

DDay for Mii Costumes will be very interesting, and most likely, direct how speculation flows from hereon out.

I myself, am excited. A new character coming to Ultimate is always amazing, and XB2 was always one of those games which made me wish it had made the base game, alongside ARMs.... and lo and behold, we got both.

I'm extremely content with the roster, and we still got 2 more to go, so if I were to be greedy and ask for at least 1 personal pick.... plz, gib Crash.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Crackpot conspiracy theory of the night: The Monster Hunter Miis will come back with Pyra and Mythra's wave because there's two Miis from the same series, to go along with the two new fighters.

Illogical, I know. But hey, we're predicting Lloyd because of the two swords thing, so... :drshrug:

Shroob

Sup?
Crackpot conspiracy theory of the night: The Monster Hunter Miis will come back with Pyra and Mythra's wave because there's two Miis from the same series, to go along with the two new fighters.

Illogical, I know. But hey, we're predicting Lloyd because of the two swords thing, so... :drshrug:
We get both Lloyd and Monster Hunters.

Chaos reigns.

Paraster

Smash Lord
Okay, so for series that don't have Assist Trophies (DLC included), who would you like to see? For me:
  • :ultyoshi:: Kamek
  • :ultpikachu:: Pokemon Ranger
  • :ulticeclimbers:: Polar Bear
  • :ultgnw:: Manhole
  • :ultwiifittrainer:: Wii Balance Board
  • :ultlittlemac:: Bald Bull
  • :ultcloud:: Tifa
  • :ultjoker:: Futaba Sakura
  • :ulthero:: Jessica Albert
  • :ultbanjokazooie:: Mumbo Jumbo
  • :ult_terry:: Nakoruru
  • :ultsteve:: Creeper
  • :ultpyra:: Zeke & Pandoria
Most of these franchises I can't come up with ideas for (whether due to lack of familiarity or lack of options), but here's the ideas I did devise (skipping Pokemon since I consider Poke Balls the Assist Trophies of Pokemon).
:ultyoshi: : The Fuzzies from Touch Fuzzy, Get Dizzy. They float across the stage and reverse the controls of any opponents they touch.
:ultlittlemac: : Glass Joe. Runs around and punches people, though unlike other Assist Trophies, he gets KO'd in one hit (though if you wanted to balance him, you could take the Ultimate Pichu approach of making his attacks hit harder than other ATs).
:ultcloud: : A Dragoon, potentially Kain Highwind. Leaps into the air, then after a few seconds, a light appears on the ground following an opponent before the Dragoon descends to strike straight down on them (passing through platforms and surfaces). This repeats for several jumps.
:ultjoker: : Jack Frost. I'm not the most familiar with this character, having never played a Persona game, but I know he's iconic and you could probably give him some neat ice attacks.
:ultsteve: : Creeper's the obvious pick, but for the sake of discussion, I'll say a Witch. Poisons opponents and is more resilient than other attackable ATs during to an ability to heal themself.

Shroob

Sup?
Imagine though.

Knocking Monster Hunter out before a potential Rise spirit event would shake speculation up to its core.

I'd argue that atm, the two most discussed characters are Crash and MonHun, regardless of Concert BS. Knocking one of the big frontrunners out would shake everything up.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Okay, so for series that don't have Assist Trophies (DLC included), who would you like to see?
Sorry for not answering the prompt, it's fun and I'll address a few that I want to see, but can I highlight how much of an outlier Punch-Out is here?

Outside of DLC you pretty much have retro series with no other noteworthy characters (Ice Climber, Duck Hunt...), Wii Fit which is kinda self-explanatory (it doesn't really have characters), Yoshi which shares the same universe as Mario, and then Pokemon which has dozens of ATs in the form of Pokeballs anyway.

Punch-Out has (technically) about five games under its belt and an incredibly colorful cast of memorable characters and it kills me that not even a single one has been chosen to be an AT. Glass Joe would probably be my pick as a gag AT, but you've also got King Hippo, Bald Bull who could charge at opponents, Super Macho Man summoning a paparazzi, Aran Ryan swinging around his glove on a rope... I mean, so much potential here.

ATs are like, very basic series representation, let alone a series that has been in two games at this point and has SUCH a dynamic cast to select from. It really really makes me sad, genuinely just feels like they forgot.

To wrap things back around to the prompt though, give me a Poochy AT for :ultyoshi: please and thank you.
It's also fudging the prompt a bit but I'd love to see a Jack Frost AT, he technically qualifies under :ultjoker: at least.
And then uhhh Mumbo Jumbo for :ultbanjokazooie:, a Creeper for :ultsteve:, Helix for :ultminmin and I'll cheat again and say Marco and/or Fio for :ult_terry:.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Have we moved far enough away from the still-getting-ATs phase that people no longer take getting them as a slight and realize that something is indeed better than nothing?

Because I would love if Smash had the inclination and budget to have kept adding more through DLC, considering what kind of third-parties would've found their way onto the battlefield (as their actual selves and not a costume).

yeq

Smash Cadet
they might bring back the mh miis because theyre from an rpg. if they dont i feel like either a rep or spirit event is inevitable

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
Sorry for not answering the prompt, it's fun and I'll address a few that I want to see, but can I highlight how much of an outlier Punch-Out is here?

Outside of DLC you pretty much have retro series with no other noteworthy characters (Ice Climber, Duck Hunt...), Wii Fit which is kinda self-explanatory (it doesn't really have characters), Yoshi which shares the same universe as Mario, and then Pokemon which has dozens of ATs in the form of Pokeballs anyway.

Punch-Out has (technically) about five games under its belt and an incredibly colorful cast of memorable characters and it kills me that not even a single one has been chosen to be an AT. Glass Joe would probably be my pick as a gag AT, but you've also got King Hippo, Bald Bull who could charge at opponents, Super Macho Man summoning a paparazzi, Aran Ryan swinging around his glove on a rope... I mean, so much potential here.

ATs are like, very basic series representation, let alone a series that has been in two games at this point and has SUCH a dynamic cast to select from. It really really makes me sad, genuinely just feels like they forgot.

To wrap things back around to the prompt though, give me a Poochy AT for :ultyoshi: please and thank you.
It's also fudging the prompt a bit but I'd love to see a Jack Frost AT, he technically qualifies under :ultjoker: at least.
And then uhhh Mumbo Jumbo for :ultbanjokazooie:, a Creeper for :ultsteve:, Helix for :ultminmin and I'll cheat again and say Marco and/or Fio for :ult_terry:.
Punch-out is probably the first party franchise with the worst representation in Ultimate (not counting franchise who don't have playable representation). I don't get why there's only 5 music from that series when the Punch-out wii soundtrack is so great and would fit perfectly in Boxing ring even with no remix for most of the tracks.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
Have we moved far enough away from the still-getting-ATs phase that people no longer take getting them as a slight and realize that something is indeed better than nothing?

Because I would love if Smash had the inclination and budget to have kept adding more through DLC, considering what kind of third-parties would've found their way onto the battlefield (as their actual selves and not a costume).
I would probably like them more if there was a way to actually see them in demand outside of training mode. Let us summon them as backup in All Star Mode with taunts or modify rules to select which ones spawn. As they are they’re never going to be seen in any mode I’ll actually play.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Punch-out is probably the first party franchise with the worst representation in Ultimate (not counting franchise who don't have playable representation). I don't get why there's only 5 music from that series when the Punch-out wii soundtrack is so great and would fit perfectly in Boxing ring even with no remix for most of the tracks.
The monkey's paw to finally getting my MW in Smash 4 is that he has the most polarizing, fundamentally broken playstyle in the game and that Punch-Out would get dropped into the game and pretty much immediately forgotten about. Like, I'm very grateful that I have ANY of this but man it's really a shame.

For what it's worth, it was fine in Smash 4 when Punch-Out was first introduced. But Ultimate did nothing to remedy this, missing basic representation such as a single AT or simply porting over songs from a Wii game. Boxing Ring actually lost a song since the Captain Rainbow track was thrown into the Misc pile. I guess you could argue that they're all technically just variants of the Minor Circuit theme, but that didn't stop ARMS from getting its full soundtrack - about half of which uses the same leitmotif (and ofc it's all amazing). I'm certain that no Punch-Out fan would complain.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I would probably like them more if there was a way to actually see them in demand outside of training mode. Let us summon them as backup in All Star Mode with taunts or modify rules to select which ones spawn. As they are they’re never going to be seen in any mode I’ll actually play.
That's fair enough, I'd like to see their uses expanded as well, and I usually play with items off, but it's just nice to see more characters incorporated into the crossover. I mean, spirits don't even show up as part of the core gameplay, but it's still nice when they bring in new universes. With ATs, you at least have the option to see those characters on the battlefield, which I think is cool. Even if it is in the only context in which I don't want to see a puppy.

SpecterFlower

Smash Ace
huh so i know no one cares and this probably isn't the right thread for it but, im after the flooded part in NieR automata

2B is now my most wanted character and she has to to be a trio character with pod and 9S.

i really hope if they add her in, they don't do the bunker or ruined city or the factory, im honestly kind of sick of seeing the "it appears for 5 minutes in the game and then is never seen again but we can make a 3 minute background cinematic for it so screw actual important area's" stages in the DLC, heck they even just made up Joker's stage from persona's UI. the best stage would either be the apartment complex or the amusement park.

Last edited:

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
Okay, so for series that don't have Assist Trophies (DLC included), who would you like to see? For me:
  • :ultpikachu:: Pokemon Ranger
  • :ultjoker:: Futaba Sakura
  • :ult_terry:: Nakoruru
  • :ultpyra:: Zeke & Pandoria
Xenoblade has an Assist Trophy in the form of Riki from Xenoblade Chronicles 1, and I'm not going to count Pokémon as needing an Assist Trophy since it has an entire item dedicated to summoning characters from only its series that dwarfs the Assist Trophy roster entirely.
  • :ultjoker:: Aigis (Persona 3) (or Queen/Makoto Niijima if we're going with only Persona 5 reps)
  • :ult_terry:: Athena Asamiya

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom