• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
While I don't think it's necessarily real, the rumor of Chun-Li and a Tales of character is just fine. Nothing changed for it.

That is, assuming we don't get the Namco costume with the pack.

RoboFist

Smash Journeyman
SO not sure if this was said, but it probably has. So far this Fighters pass has seemed to be all characters that missed the cut or have been planned for awhile. An Arms rep and now Pyra and Mythra, both characters/series Sakurai outright said they were just to late for the base roster. Steve and Minecraft were supposidly planned for 3 years, or talks have been going for 3 years, and correct me but I remember somewhere Sephiroth was in talks for for over a year or so they said.

So, if this keeps holding true, our last 2 fighters this pass may be characters that either just missed base game for either timing, or long negotiations...
I don't necessarily like playing the Immediate Reactionary Game (Min-Min must mean more first-parties, Steve must mean more representation of games with enormous young audiences a la Fortnite, Sephiroth must mean more villains, etc), but this is one theory I've always secretly hoped was true.

We really don't have much more to work with here now. ALL leaks are dead and I sincerely believe that the Lloyd Mii costume is coming back, so who else could even possibly still be on the table?

...No, I'm actually asking, because I'm 100% back in full speculation mode and I'm excited again! Sakurai hasn't hinted at any other potential characters scrapped due to time, right?

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
When other taunt characters like Morgana and Slime (and even Mr. Saturn) get to be in the banner but you can't.
Also when the other done dirty characters either have gotten in the next game or are likely to get into the next game, but it would make 0 sense to have you as a separate character alongside the ones you got "lol nope"d for.

rexfan53

Smash Apprentice
I'll amend my previous statement somewhat. It's not that Pyra or Mythra look too similar to any one specific Smash character, it's that they look (to me) like they could have been plucked from literally any JRPG or anime phone game. Smash has lots of characters with an anime aesthetic (most the cast of FE, KI, FF7) , and lots of characters with big anime swords. It's not like I have anything against anime characters, or sword characters, either. I'm a huge fan of 2B's design, for example. It's just Pyra's design (and XB2 characters in general) doesn't look clean to me, and there's nothing visually interesting for me to be drawn towards. Perhaps if I was more familiar with XC2, I'd have a different opinion, but I am not.
Except for the fact that one of the problems with XC2s character designs are inconsistent. You have stuff like this
and then you have regular anime girls.

Shroob

Sup?
Every leak we had i think is dead. The Crash, Reimu, and KOSMOS, the chun li one, that large list of characters sakurai supposidly choose from(I don't think Pyra or mythra were there), and there was a doomguy Lloyd and Dante one as well I think. Not a single rumor or leak survived the 2 anime waifus
Chun Li ain't dead until the Mii costumes.

IF we see Lloyd, it's dead.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
I'm also expecting a complete surprise Mii Costume, whether it's a Vault Boy situation or a Bomberman one.

(Mii Swordfighter could really use a PreMiium...)
I want a Swordfighter PreMiium too... admittedly, for more than one reason. :roll:

I'm glad this site is mostly reasonable, since Smash twitter seems to be entering its "actually no one likes Xenoblade" phase. Glad they've moved on from "no one likes Dragon Quest" and "no one likes Fire Emblem" 😂
Real talk, I have no connection to Pyra/Mythra or XC2, but I'm really just glad that the franchise that's practically a step away from being called a major Nintendo IP now has more than one character and stage.

Now I just have to hope something similar happens with Splatoon. :p

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Gonna make my guess for the Mii costumes that will come with Pyra and Mythra.

Elma, Lorna, MH, Rathalos, KOS MOS, Lloyd. That's what my gut is telling me, even if I wish for a Fei Brawler.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Kinda doubt the LoL rumor. That was from back in January of 2019. I really, really doubt an anonymous poster on 4chan would somehow know about this stuff well over a year in advance.
coutnerpoint: Wild Rift literally got announced for Switch today. plus, COVID ****ed up the schedules last year BIG TIME, so...

UltimateCyborgOverlord

Smash Champion
Oh, I forgot to mention...

Who thought it was a good idea to give Mythra a DBZ spam attack?

If there's a DBZ spam attack, can there also be a DBZ spam VOICE CLIP as a result of being struck by it and being thrown across the stage?

"YOU DO WELL, HUH HUH HUH HUH YOU DO WELLLLLLLLLLLL"

The PERFECT thing to yell as a result of being kicked in the chest and rolling across the ground.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Keep in mind the Chun Leak isn't claiming we'll actually get those characters.

It is theoretically possible, if the info is accurate, that we get one and not the other.

Though leaks already get enough excuses made for them, so I don't savour contributing to that.

I.D.

Smash Lord
Since this is a big vindication day for me anyway I have one last grievance to air: looking at the characters models used in their stage it's very obvious that they reused Xenoblade 2 models just like I said they could do, I remember getting into a smaller argument about this (not as big as the PROTAGONIST RULE STILL INTACT thing but still) and someone actually arguing they couldn't do that because they made new models for 3 houses characters, as if there wasn't an immense difference between XB2 and 3H models in both quality and rigging.

Okay I'll try not to gloat anymore

Dan Quixote

Smash Lord
At this point when's the last time that a leak was really a super credible leak? Things get deconfirmed as heck with every bit of news. I think regular leak days might be gone till SSB6 lol

Shroob

Sup?
Keep in mind the Chun Leak isn't claiming we'll actually get those characters.

It is theoretically possible, if the info is accurate, that we get one and not the other.

Though leaks already get enough excuses made for them, so I don't savour contributing to that.
I mean, at this point, it's on a clock.

With how slap happy they are in returning Namco character costumes recently, if we see Lloyd, it's a goner.

TwiceEXE

Smash Ace
Looks like we'll have to wait until March to see the alt outfits. Give us Elma and KOS-MOS colors, Sakurai you coward.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Except for the fact that one of the problems with XC2s character designs are inconsistent. You have stuff like this
I don't think that's too big of an issue since most blades look like they make sense in the world. The actual problem is uh...
1613612503354.png
1613612550791.png
They're not even trying to have the same artstyle. These aren't even the worst offenders.

The one thing I'll say on the anime aesthetic thing is their designs draw from a different era of anime then the other "anime" characters. I want to say that kind of design was big around 2010, maybe 2000s? Something like that. It's a specific look we haven't had before, even if it's still anime. I think most of what we have is more 90s inspired or a style that's existed for a while but became more common in the late 2010s.

I just think that's neat.

Polan

Smash Lord
Every leak we had i think is dead. The Crash, Reimu, and KOSMOS, the chun li one, that large list of characters sakurai supposidly choose from(I don't think Pyra or mythra were there), and there was a doomguy Lloyd and Dante one as well I think. Not a single rumor or leak survived the 2 anime waifus
list leaker be like

zferolie

Smash Hero
I don't necessarily like playing the Immediate Reactionary Game (Min-Min must mean more first-parties, Steve must mean more representation of games with enormous young audiences a la Fortnite, Sephiroth must mean more villains, etc), but this is one theory I've always secretly hoped was true.

We really don't have much more to work with here now. ALL leaks are dead and I sincerely believe that the Lloyd Mii costume is coming back, so who else could even possibly still be on the table?

...No, I'm actually asking, because I'm 100% back in full speculation mode and I'm excited again! Sakurai hasn't hinted at any other potential characters scrapped due to time, right?
Thats my question right now too. I really feel like anyone else coming was planned for base, or talks started during base game(Steve is that latter one) So either we get a third party spirit from base that just missed the base cut(Shantae), or we get someone that has had very long talks for(crash maybe), but that latter is immposible to know beforhand

Chun Li ain't dead until the Mii costumes.

IF we see Lloyd, it's dead.
Ah right, I thought there was something else killing that leak... but I feel lloyd is coming with Pyra and Mythra(same with a KOSMOS and Monster hunter)

Game2018

Banned via Warnings
Bruh EVERY Character in ARMS is considered the Main Character, and Pyra/Mythra are still Main Characters.
In which case you can apply that to any fighting game. If we get a Mortal Kombat character, then let's use Kitana instead of Scorpion, Liu Kang, or Raiden.

The ARMS director simply wants to justify his reasoning for using Min Min, and even if what he says is true, you cannot deny that Spring Man has more attention than everyone else and should be considered the true protagonist.

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
So since Min Min dictated the pass would be low budget, modest first parties, Steve would be all recent third party characters popular among younger crowds and Sephiroth dictated the pass would be third party characters from represented series, does this mean Pyra & Mythra mean that the pass is obviously going to be about first party women getting in over the rejected protagonists?

Say hello to Jenna from Golden Sun and Sami from Advance Wars!

(/s if you thought I was serious.)

SharkLord

Smash Hero
coutnerpoint: Wild Rift literally got announced for Switch today. plus, COVID ****ed up the schedules last year BIG TIME, so...
That one leak got Sephiroth right, but not the Aegis. Old leaks got Hero (Not just Erdrick) and Banjo right, but not Terry and Byleth. Claiming that a characters is coming to Smash and their games are getting ported to the Switch go hand-in-hand. When a rumor is over a year old, it's time to let it go.

blackghost

Smash Champion
I guess, but it's just funny that naked thighs are not allowed, but clothed, but still clearly visible ones are. lol
CERO is more concerned about upskirt shots than anything else. thats the primary issue it has or did everyone making this comparison forget ZSS is in the game already?

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
At this point when's the last time that a leak was really a super credible leak? Things get deconfirmed as heck with every bit of news. I think regular leak days might be gone till SSB6 lol
The last fairly credible public leak that lasted for more than just a few days was probably that we'd get a DQ protag. Of course there have been other leaks since then, but they've had pretty short shelf lives, like the SNK leak.

I mean, at this point, it's on a clock.

With how slap happy they are in returning Namco character costumes recently, if we see Lloyd, it's a goner.
That is a fair position.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I'm not a big fan of Xeno 2 from what I've played, I own the game and have tried multiple times, but I'll be the first one to say that Pyra/Mythra are a great addition to the roster. I mean even taking away the fact that this might not be who everyone wanted we actually, in a sense, got an entire free character. Pyra and Mythra are 79 and 80 respectively; like how Squirtle, Ivysaur, and Charizard are 33, 34, and 35, and that's insane to think about. Two whole new characters in one slot is incredible. Sakurai has figured out ways to make each individual character seem wholly worth it and Pyra/Mythra are no exception.'

I am consistently impressed by their dedication to these character passes.

I.D.

Smash Lord
In-universe blades "evolve" by incorporating characteristics from their previous drivers (and sometimes current ones) at different points in their evolutionary life cycle. Therefore having them designed by completely different people is a stroke of meta-genius. Y'all just don't understand.

Last edited:

blackghost

Smash Champion
I'll amend my previous statement somewhat. It's not that Pyra or Mythra look too similar to any one specific Smash character, it's that they look (to me) like they could have been plucked from literally any JRPG or anime phone game. Smash has lots of characters with an anime aesthetic (most the cast of FE, KI, FF7) , and lots of characters with big anime swords. It's not like I have anything against anime characters, or sword characters, either. I'm a huge fan of 2B's design, for example. It's just Pyra's design (and XB2 characters in general) doesn't look clean to me, and there's nothing visually interesting for me to be drawn towards. Perhaps if I was more familiar with XC2, I'd have a different opinion, but I am not.
your last sentence says why your opinion is not informed.
at least come forward with another JRPG character that could switch between two personalities and movesets, AND has the move set potential to rival this. she has a speed form and a power form at first glance as well as two separate final smashes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom