• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

SKX31

Smash Master
Re-reviewing the footage, the attacks shown were (probably, judging by animations. This may not be final, there might be some additional tweaks done to the two before release):

Pyra:

• Down Air: Sword swing downwards in a 180 degree arc. Does not stall n fall.
  • Up tilt: Overhead slash, like Cloud's. Appears to have some endlag attached.
  • Forward Tilt?: Looks animation-wise like Byleth's Areadbhar (Side B), sends at a roughly 45 degree angle.
  • Back Air: Quick slash behind her, Has some endlag apparently because she spins 360 degrees herself.
  • Smash Flare!! (F-Smash): Overhead swing, really strong knockback but noticeable endlag. Can seemingly be performed pretty shortly after touching ground.
  • Flame Nova!! (B?): Visually Toon Link's spin with fire effect. One can notice a charge up period. Sends at a roughly 45 degree angle, seemingly like Toon Link's.
  • Prominence Revolt!! (Up-B maybe?): Dragoon jump / Mii Swordfighter's Stone Scabbard move. Has an AoE impact on the ground, so probably best used as a call out option outside of recovery. Can in some situations likely be used to surprise people at the edge.
  • Blazing End!! (Side B likely) : Tosses the sword like a chakram. The sword travels to a spot and spins in place. Not the typical projectile move - might be best used to force opponents to shield or jump if one doesn't connect. Might be a really good edgeguard tool.
  • Neutral Air: Spins the blade quickly. Does not last long, but has wide range (I'm reminded of :4cloud: 's N-Air). Might have some endlag though.
  • Forward Air: Underhand slash. Travels in an 180 degree arc in front of her. Does have relatively little endlag seemingly.

Mythra:

• First attack shown has a similiar animation as Smash Flare!! (except the effects of course). Might be a bit faster, but we'll have to see.
  • She then N-Air's (seemingly) Byleth and gets a grab. The gemstone sparkles just before the grab gets active. Back-throw is a kick behind her, doesn't send the opponent far.
  • Lightning Buster!! (B?): Charge move. She holds her sword up high before unleashing a flurry of attacks. Has seemingly a "Trapping" first hitbox, where if the opponent gets caught (s)he's taking the entire thing. Doesn't have huge horizontal range, but can hit a short hopping opponent.
  • Photon Edge!! (Side B?? The DBZ move): Performs several rapid-fire Dimensional Capes in an area. Can likewise trap the opponent hit and thus ensue that (s)he gets hit multiple times.
  • Ray of Punishment!! (Up B perhaps?): Shulk's Air Slash followed by a beam fired diagonally downwards. The move to use out of shield perhaps?
  • Chrome Dust!! (?): Fires shots diagonally downwards. Can hit multiple targets simultaneously, so perhaps useful for crowd control or general bombardment.
  • Foresight!! (?? Is this Down B?): Vision combined with the "Teleports behind you" meme. As with any Counter, probably going to be used for the mindgames. Might be a really good disrespect move. S-tier move casually.
  • She then Up-Tilts, which again looks like Pyra's Up-tilt and might be a major clue that the two share normals. Might be, could be wrong.

• Pyra then Down Smashes, which looks like a smaller but slightly quicker Shulk Down Smash.
  • After Pyra uses F-Air, Mythra shows off Down Tilt, which is a scoop with the sword. Probable combo starter.
  • Mythra's Up Air is the final move shown, a Sephiroth-esque swing. Of course, Mythra does not have Sephiroth's range, but that Up-Air looked fast.

I think Lloyd and MH are gonna be in this pack. Probably one or two new Xeno costumes too.

Also, the Hayabusa stuff with the trilogy? Yeah, if I wasn't predicting him already, I certainly would now.
I'm also expecting a complete surprise Mii Costume, whether it's a Vault Boy situation or a Bomberman one.

(Mii Swordfighter could really use a PreMiium...)

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Copypasted off of RTC, my more detailed thoughts on the direct

Pyra and Mythra
  • I had a feeling that would be Smash. I also thought of a sequel or DLC, but I've been trained to just expect Smash now,
  • Blades without a Driver. That was a shocker, for sure. It'll be pretty odd not having Rex working alongside them outside of the Final Smash (And maybe a couple taunts?).
  • Gameplay-wise, they look pretty cool. Swordfighters are my jam, and it's nice to have some more female fighters, too. The stance-swapping also looks pretty fun as well.
  • Crei-Mos is officially dead. I want Reimu a lot, but her chances don't hinge on an anonymous rumor, it would've been irritating to have to deal with it constantly being brought up. Glad that's over with.
  • 99% chance any other Xeno reps are dead. That would mean Elma, KOS-MOS, Fiora, Melia, and Lora, among others.
  • If I had a nickel for every time the main main character got the shaft in this pass, I'd have two nickels. It's not much, but it's weird that it happened twice. Regardless, this doesn't really help characters that have a major existing role already.
  • Guess Smash isn't afraid of retreading broken patterns. Kinda doubt it'd happen back-to-back, but maybe we'll see more Western fighters, indies, and repeat third-parties down the line.
  • We... Sorta called this fighter? On one hand, we weren't expecting the Aegis to go solo, but I highly doubt there was anyone who was expecting Rex to not come with them. I'm listing this as a partial win for the speculation scene like with Byleth; We had the right idea, but it didn't happen in the way we expected.
Everything Else
  • Famicom Detective Club sounds extra funny now because not only is it not on the Famicom anymore, it's also been ported to the West, so if anything it should at least be the NES Detective Club over in the English speaking world. Might check it out.
  • I was one of those who put stock in the Golden Sun trademark, so the Mario Golf announcement was... Kind of an oof moment. I'm not extremely invested in Isaac like others are, but it is kinda disappointing.
  • Neon White looks pretty cool aesthetic-wise, partially because I have a somewhat similar game idea. First-person games aren't something I'm used to, but I think I'll give it a shot.
  • Not that interested in Miitopia, but the horse has me in shambles. MAN
  • Triangle Strategy looks pretty cool. Still, the name Saltiron War is hilarious, partially because of the modern definition of "salt."
  • Knockout City doesn't interest me that much, but the trailer is actually pretty good. It's fun to see people from different franchises just casually messing around together.
  • Oh hey, Ninja Gaiden. Guess I'll die, 10000 times in a row.
  • Huh, Skyward Sword HD. Might try and get back into Zelda with that.
  • And lastly, Splatoon 3. Guess I'll have to go through Octo Expansion in anticipation. Also, welcome to the apocalypse, Marina. Hope you like leather.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Re-reviewing the footage, the attacks shown were (probably, judging by animations. This may not be final, there might be some additional tweaks done to the two before release):

Pyra:

• Down Air: Sword swing downwards in a 180 degree arc. Does not stall n fall.
  • Up tilt: Overhead slash, like Cloud's. Appears to have some endlag attached.
  • Forward Tilt?: Looks animation-wise like Byleth's Areadbhar (Side B), sends at a roughly 45 degree angle.
  • Back Air: Quick slash behind her, Has some endlag apparently because she spins 360 degrees herself.
  • Smash Flare!! (F-Smash): Overhead swing, really strong knockback but noticeable endlag. Can seemingly be performed pretty shortly after touching ground.
  • Flame Nova!! (B?): Visually Toon Link's spin with fire effect. One can notice a charge up period. Sends at a roughly 45 degree angle, seemingly like Toon Link's.
  • Prominence Revolt!! (Up-B maybe?): Dragoon jump / Mii Swordfighter's Stone Scabbard move. Has an AoE impact on the ground, so probably best used as a call out option outside of recovery. Can in some situations likely be used to surprise people at the edge.
  • Blazing End!! (Side B likely) : Tosses the sword like a chakram. The sword travels to a spot and spins in place. Not the typical projectile move - might be best used to force opponents to shield or jump if one doesn't connect. Might be a really good edgeguard tool.
  • Neutral Air: Spins the blade quickly. Does not last long, but has wide range (I'm reminded of :4cloud: 's N-Air). Might have some endlag though.
  • Forward Air: Underhand slash. Travels in an 180 degree arc in front of her. Does have relatively little endlag seemingly.

Mythra:

• First attack shown has a similiar animation as Smash Flare!! (except the effects of course). Might be a bit faster, but we'll have to see.
  • She then N-Air's (seemingly) Byleth and gets a grab. The gemstone sparkles just before the grab gets active. Back-throw is a kick behind her, doesn't send the opponent far.
  • Lightning Buster!! (B?): Charge move. She holds her sword up high before unleashing a flurry of attacks. Has seemingly a "Trapping" first hitbox, where if the opponent gets caught (s)he's taking the entire thing. Doesn't have huge horizontal range, but can hit a short hopping opponent.
  • Photon Edge!! (Side B?? The DBZ move): Performs several rapid-fire Dimensional Capes in an area. Can likewise trap the opponent hit and thus ensue that (s)he gets hit multiple times.
  • Ray of Punishment!! (Up B perhaps?): Shulk's Air Slash followed by a beam fired diagonally downwards. The move to use out of shield perhaps?
  • Chrome Dust!! (?): Fires shots diagonally downwards. Can hit multiple targets simultaneously, so perhaps useful for crowd control or general bombardment.
  • Foresight!! (?? Is this Down B?): Vision combined with the "Teleports behind you" meme. As with any Counter, probably going to be used for the mindgames. Might be a really good disrespect move. S-tier move casually.
  • She then Up-Tilts, which again looks like Pyra's Up-tilt and might be a major clue that the two share normals. Might be, could be wrong.

• Pyra then Down Smashes, which looks like a smaller but slightly quicker Shulk Down Smash.
  • After Pyra uses F-Air, Mythra shows off Down Tilt, which is a scoop with the sword. Probable combo starter.
  • Mythra's Up Air is the final move shown, a Sephiroth-esque swing. Of course, Mythra does not have Sephiroth's range, but that Up-Air looked fast.

I'm also expecting a complete surprise Mii Costume, whether it's a Vault Boy situation or a Bomberman one.

(Mii Swordfighter could really use a PreMiium...)
i want a PreMiium Mii Brawler with a song too... 🥺

KillerCage

Smash Master
Welcome back, everyone. How bout that Pyra/Mythra?

Pleasantly happy :D

Sorry Rex fans, but yeahhh
well I thought it would be Rex & Pyra so I'm 50% right

doesn't change my predictions though

Rex and Elma fans in absolute shambles rn
I wouldn't be so sure.
I personally don't mind Rex missing the boat.
Oh thread is unlocked, nice.

My feeling summarized: Given the timing of the reveal I was pretty much expecting a 1st party character. While I'm not really a Xenoblade 2 fan, I'm happy it's Pyra and not Rex, Waluigi, or Cinderace so this is an absolute win for me.

With Rex off the table and Pokemon Day being so near, I'm also pretty confident we won't be seeing another 1st party character for the rest of this pass.
THANK GOD!
I didn't want see another Pokemon character get into Ultimate.
edit: Mai died for this?! lol

more thoughts

the three big "leaks" (Reimu/KOS-MOS/Crash, Ryu/Doom Slayer/Rayman, and Chun-Li/Tales) took a hit

Elma and KOS-MOS i think are done

"voice" theory technically came true lol

to be honest Pyra/Mythra are my 2nd favorite character from this pass so far

:ultsephiroth:> Pyra/Mythra > :ultminmin > :ultsteve:
Pyra/Mythra > :ultsephiroth: > :ultminmin > :ultsteve:
So with all this said. Who do you think had it worst? xD
  1. Chrom getting beaten up so badly by Captain Falcon that he had to wait an entire game just to get in.
  2. Spring Man getting humiliated by not just Min Min but the entirety of the Arms cast.
  3. Rex's Bladefus running off without telling him and just accepting it.
Spring Man

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I'll amend my previous statement somewhat. It's not that Pyra or Mythra look too similar to any one specific Smash character, it's that they look (to me) like they could have been plucked from literally any JRPG or anime phone game. Smash has lots of characters with an anime aesthetic (most the cast of FE, KI, FF7) , and lots of characters with big anime swords. It's not like I have anything against anime characters, or sword characters, either. I'm a huge fan of 2B's design, for example. It's just Pyra's design (and XB2 characters in general) doesn't look clean to me, and there's nothing visually interesting for me to be drawn towards. Perhaps if I was more familiar with XC2, I'd have a different opinion, but I am not.
Well if it's good designs you're looking for then why don't I introduce you to Ursula's New Groove! They'll do what they can.
1613611149197.png

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Ok so.

Chun-Li
Falcom rep
League of Legends rep
Monster Hunter
Tales rep

It'll be worth keeping an eye on these five then until further notice.
I'd throw Hayabusa in there personally but I can see if people aren't so confident in him.

I actually have a theory and it's not one I'm really proud of... I think the Lloyd costume is coming back with the release of Pyra/Mythra. Reason I say this is because I think we will get a KOS-MOS costume... Which is Namco... Which could mean we get more Namco costumes. I'm sure you see where I'm going here. Now it's just a theory, but it is something to look out for.

RoboFist

Smash Journeyman
As a few have speculated, Pyra confirms to me that FP2 is wrapping up loose threads from base game. (Arms & XC2 considered for fighters, Steve supposedly in the works since 2015, and Sephiroth finally giving us FF7 music/spirits/Mii costumes)

Imagine if Brawl had gotten that opportunity - we'd have had Toon Zelda, Dixie Kong, Plusle and Minun!
Honestly, I think this is why FP2 hits so different for me as opposed to FP1. Yes, B&K were in the first Pass and they were my end-all be-all character, but they were the only real standout to me. The others were very "Okay, I guess that makes sense" to me, y'know?

But finally getting an ARMS character made me genuinely happy. Seeing the impossibly-long-rumored Minecraft representation made me happy. Having Sephiroth bring in a proper amount of FF7 music, Spirits, and Mii costumes made me happy.

And now seeing Pythra get in, after seeing so many fans begging for more and with Rex having seemingly JUST missed the boat...I dunno, guys, it makes me happy. Like Sakurai is rewarding people for their patience. "I'm sorry I couldn't get them into base game, but before I wrap up development, I want to go back and fix those mistakes." To me, it feels legitimately satisfying.

No, they're not the bombshell "Crash, Master Chief, Sora, etc", but they feel more...I dunno, personal? Like Sakurai is looking at this second Pass as a responsibility to his vision rather than strictly fan service. And I love that.

Again, I've never played a Xenoblade game either. Still really weirdly happy about this reveal.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I really don’t see it from this.
The most diver thing I see is the harpoon. Why not put ship stuff on his clothes like an anchor or fish? All I see is a loli wearing blue clockwork style armor and pajamas.
I find it hillarious that you called Rex a loli.

Ayumi Tachibana

Smash Ace
Another welcoming addition to the roster for me.
Too bad for Rex but I always felt him and the girls with the bond mechanic wouldn't work flawlessly in Smash and takes too much developing costs so this outcome is very understandable.
I'm sorry for KOS-MOS fans too. I now want to see KOS-MOS color pallet swap for Mythra rather than Mii costume actually. I love girls with blue color.
Now the leaks are dead and this is why I love Smash speculation.

Eeeyah911

Smash Cadet
NNID
ArkGod123
Switch FC
SW-6879-3932-9767
Pyra and Mythra...

Oh well. Thank GOD that it wasn't a Fortnite character.

Oh yeah, I think Ayumi Tachibana might have a bit of a higher chance now since her games are getting redone.

Also, better luck next time Rex.

Last edited:

GothicSlenderman

Smash Journeyman
League?

As in League of Legends?
Yep, more specifically the rumor is that Ahri is the fighter along with a Hollow Knight costume and a Trials of Mana spirit event which has already happened.

In all seriousness LoL makes a lot of since. It's one of the biggest games in the world and now on Switch with Wild Rift. Riot was also announcing and making plans to expand League with new titles and collaborations in late 2019. Which is the same timeframe that Season 2 was being planned. It kind of lines up pretty well.

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
Hello everyone. I just wanted to share with you guys my reaction to Pyra and Mythra in Smash.

This is my first reaction to anything, as I'm pretty new to YouTube, and I noticed that the on screen audio was a bit louder than my mic. However I did add subtitles for my words. Hope you like it.

Goombaic

Smash Ace
Yeah, Steve and Sephiroth had all their alts shown before the Sakurai Presents. I assume in Steve's case, it was because the trailer revealed 4 costumes and then there were the pictures that revealed the other ones.

Pyra & Mythra don't have the option to switch costumes on the site and none of their pictures show any of their costumes, so I'm assuming there may be a big reason for that.
-I mean, there is one possibility of Pneuma being a costume. If not, both could also have Pneuma colors, same with their costumes where they are colored like the other, with Pyra having a blonde and green skin and Mythra having a red skin.
-The other possibility might be pulling a Shulk and having their Swimwear costumes be costumes in Smash. That is another possibility.
Considering they covered up their thighs with tights, it's doubtful we're seeing those outfits in their current form. I'll be shocked if none of the alternates are based on the DLC colors. Some of them are very pleasing palettes.

zferolie

Smash Hero
SO not sure if this was said, but it probably has. So far this Fighters pass has seemed to be all characters that missed the cut or have been planned for awhile. An Arms rep and now Pyra and Mythra, both characters/series Sakurai outright said they were just to late for the base roster. Steve and Minecraft were supposidly planned for 3 years, or talks have been going for 3 years, and correct me but I remember somewhere Sephiroth was in talks for for over a year or so they said.

So, if this keeps holding true, our last 2 fighters this pass may be characters that either just missed base game for either timing, or long negotiations...

rexfan53

Smash Apprentice
Damn look at this poor rex fan. He's so outraged he can't even post properly
no im so happy and excited that i couldnt post lol. They carry the same moveset rex would have anyways lol. though i will say Im a bit dissapointed that rex is only a taunt and not on the sidelines like pokemon trainer xc2 is still my favorite game of all time so i had a dopamine rush. Also Mythra reps torna and xc2 better than rex would and it would make sense if all the missing torna spirits and music came with her.
I always kind of saw this as a possibility anyways since pyra/mythra have always been the face of xc2 and are a lot more known outside the xenoblade and nintendo fanbase due to some questionable images on the depths of the internet.

I cant wait for the release in march and i was excited to the point where i didnt even finish the direct because i was busy replaying the trailer over and over again

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Since Pass 2 appears to be based on content missing out in Base game. I don't think we will be seeing characters like Crash tbh as I figured.

I think our E3 reveal will either be Chun-Li or Monster Hunter, leaning towards the former.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
See, I've never heard of this game(?) before but this is a design I can get behind.
They're a Blade. Bear and all.

Ursula's New Groove is her Merc. Group title, and at launch, there was no way to stop her from reminding you every 5 minutes, because she has to do a million billion of them, they all take about that long, and you couldn't skip the voice clip. It's still pain and suffering even though you can skip the voice clip now.

For a well designed Blade who doesn't cause pain and suffering with their personal quest, I can direct you to Perceval.
1613611813613.png

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend
They'll probably do a "this is based off of something we won't spoil" again, but I don't think they'll add the swimwear since.

Well. Not unless they slap sheer leggings on them. lol
I mean, if they are fine with Samus and Byleth(in her Sothis colors) showing their thighs...(I mean, we haven't seen them having an issue with swimwear yet).

That aside, I just remembered that Pyra had another costume, the disguise costume with the cat ears.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Yep, more specifically the rumor is that Ahri is the fighter along with a Hollow Knight costume and a Trials of Mana spirit event which has already happened.

In all seriousness LoL makes a lot of since. It's one of the biggest games in the world and now on Switch with Wild Rift. Riot was also announcing and making plans to expand League with new titles and collaborations in late 2019. Which is the same timeframe that Season 2 was being planned. It kind of lines up pretty well.
whoa whoa whoa wait

when was this confirmed?? i only saw Pythra in smash, famicom detective club and splat 3. i admit i skimmed

zferolie

Smash Hero
so which leaks got obliterated? guessing that dumb list leak got btfoed?
Every leak we had i think is dead. The Crash, Reimu, and KOSMOS, the chun li one, that large list of characters sakurai supposidly choose from(I don't think Pyra or mythra were there), and there was a doomguy Lloyd and Dante one as well I think. Not a single rumor or leak survived the 2 anime waifus

I.D.

Smash Lord
no im so happy and excited that i couldnt post lol. They carry the same moveset rex would have anyways lol. though i will say Im a bit dissapointed that rex is only a taunt and not on the sidelines like pokemon trainer xc2 is still my favorite game of all time so i had a dopamine rush. Also Mythra reps torna and xc2 better than rex would and it would make sense if all the missing torna spirits and music came with her.
I always kind of saw this as a possibility anyways since pyra/mythra have always been the face of xc2 and are a lot more known outside the xenoblade and nintendo fanbase due to some questionable images on the depths of the internet.

I cant wait for the release in march and i was excited to the point where i didnt even finish the direct because i was busy replaying the trailer over and over again
My post was sarcasm. There are some extremely sad individuals out there trying to pretend Xenoblade 2 fans aren't happy with this.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I'm glad this site is mostly reasonable, since Smash twitter seems to be entering its "actually no one likes Xenoblade" phase. Glad they've moved on from "no one likes Dragon Quest" and "no one likes Fire Emblem" 😂
now i actually want a pass 3 to happen, Elma to dodge the bullet this pack, and get confirmed next pass just to piss em off more LUL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom