• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I think the issue was how the buttons work rather than how the movement works. Soul Caliber might not have the same issues if the buttons work differently.
So I did a quick lookup, and I couldn't find anything too conclusive. Tekken has 8 buttons, and they're color coded rather than named so I have no idea what anything is except punch. I couldn't find the button layout for SoulCalibur, but they do seem to have attack types such as kick, horrizontal, and vertical attacks. I could see this translating similar to how Byleth does things with Neutral inputs for kicks, Side inputs for horizontal attacks, and up or down inputs for vertical attacks.

Here's a Semi-Crackpot Idea: Similar to the other fighting game characters, dashing backwards has Heihachi do a backdash animation. Heihachi can cancel his dash by crouching, and input another backdash right afterward. Because this isn't Tekken, this is completely useless (and may already be universally possible, I dunno), but it's there.

EDIT: It's semi-crackpot because I could actually see them doing this.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I love how the KI reboot was handled, but I'm such a stickler for the original designs and sound effects, they just got that 90's crunch to 'em, but in a very very good and entertaining way.

View attachment 303494

The soul radiating in this picture is beyond words.

View attachment 303495

This is fine too but, y'know, nostalgia goggles and ****.
I like a lot of the classic designs as well. Fulgore and Glacius are best in the older games but some of the human characters were a little strange looking in the first two games. I think B. Orchid and Maya look better in the new game.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I like a lot of the classic designs as well. Fulgore and Glacius are best in the older games but some of the human characters were a little strange looking in the first two games. I think B. Orchid and Maya look better in the new game.
Oh for sure, the humans look better, but anyone who isn't human (Spinal's techncially different but eh) looks a bit better in their classic design IMO. I at least hope that, if they ever do Killer Instinct content in the future, that we get both modern and classic costumes.

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
im not sure honestly but do you think the limb mechanic could be possible in the future due to min min?
I don’t think Min Min helps much tbh. Since both her arms use the same attacks. Heihachis Limb mechanics would require different moves assigned to different limbs and the addition of feet as well.
Sakurai is a veteran in game design though. If anyone can make Heihachi work, its him.

rexfan53

Smash Apprentice
Has anyone ever talked about XC2 missing major spirits? It is missing spirits of Jin, Malos, Amalthus, Patroka, Akhos, Mikhail, Lora, Addam, Azurda, Vandham. Unless they were saving a spirit event, idk why these arent in base game

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Has anyone ever talked about XC2 missing major spirits? It is missing spirits of Jin, Malos, Amalthus, Patroka, Akhos, Mikhail, Lora, Addam, Azurda, Vandham. Unless they were saving a spirit event, idk why these arent in base game
Tokyo Mirage Sessions still has Tsubasa as its lone spirit. I wouldn’t look into it too much

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
We've talked about it many a time, in fact! I still think Rex is the most likely first party for reasons such as that.

Game2018

Banned via Warnings
I find split-headed Eyedol more creative than two-headed Eyedol.

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
For sure.

Now I'm imagining Steve fighting Isabelle while this ****'s playing and it's hilarious.
Killer Instinct also has some bangers from the classics but without a doubt the new game has an absolutely insane amount of originality.

One of the biggest reasons I support Doom Slayer is for some Mick Gordon music and Fulgore is no different.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
We still don't have Porky's spirit. It's just weird **** dude, I feel like those characters (Rex and Porky) might have been put on a backburner but were never fully developed for time-related purposes. But that's just my silly little theory that isn't really valid at all, it's just an idea on why certain Spirits are missing or barren.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
So I did a quick lookup, and I couldn't find anything too conclusive. Tekken has 8 buttons, and they're color coded rather than named so I have no idea what anything is except punch. I couldn't find the button layout for SoulCalibur, but they do seem to have attack types such as kick, horrizontal, and vertical attacks. I could see this translating similar to how Byleth does things with Neutral inputs for kicks, Side inputs for horizontal attacks, and up or down inputs for vertical attacks.

Here's a Semi-Crackpot Idea: Similar to the other fighting game characters, dashing backwards has Heihachi do a backdash animation. Heihachi can cancel his dash by crouching, and input another backdash right afterward. Because this isn't Tekken, this is completely useless (and may already be universally possible, I dunno), but it's there.

EDIT: It's semi-crackpot because I could actually see them doing this.
Unlike SF and Fatal Fury/KoF which use motion inputs, Tekken mostly uses button combinations. So different combinations of the 4 (not 8) buttons, say something like square, square, triangle, x if you were on PS might be a special move input. It'd be harder to do what was done for Ryu, Ken and Terry because Smash doesn't have as many attack buttons. I guess you could use combinations of the standard and special attack button but you'd probably have to do something like they did with Min Min where some of her would be specials are just more standard attacks.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
For sure.

Now I'm imagining Steve fighting Isabelle while this ****'s playing and it's hilarious.
Yeah, imagining a lot of the more kid friendly characters fighting to this music is really funny. The main songs I want are The Instinct, Inferno, Back to Rise, Village of Whispers, Hinamatoom, Herald of Gargos, and Orchid’s KI Gold theme

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Killer Instinct also has some bangers from the classics but without a doubt the new game has an absolutely insane amount of originality.

One of the biggest reasons I support Doom Slayer is for some Mick Gordon music and Fulgore is no different.
I want Smash team to remix his KI2 theme.

Bruh, imagine the orchestra, the geetar solo, the jams.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I don’t think Min Min helps much tbh. Since both her arms use the same attacks. Heihachis Limb mechanics would require different moves assigned to different limbs and the addition of feet as well.
Sakurai is a veteran in game design though. If anyone can make Heihachi work, its him.
I absolutely think he can make it work. DLC or base game. Min Min helps somewhat, since he has an idea of how to balance the concept. Smash's buttons are far more different, so he might opt to make him somewhat more simplistic, but still allow for cool unique controls. Then again, playable Master Hand does not have unique controls at all(and has many missing moveset commands as is), so who knows what his thought process on it is. He probably can't elaborate that much anyway, since saying any character is pretty much impossible could hurt company relations. He has to word things carefully.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Because that would put XC2 far above the average regarding game to spirit ratio, putting it above titles like Ocarina of Time, Awakening, and Street Fighter 2, and because not every game gets all their characters as spirits.

Shroob

Sup?
My expectations for tomorrow, in regards to Smash, are low.

Not because I expect the character to suck or anything like that.

It's more

How does anyone follow up the one, two punch of: :ultsteve: and :ultsephiroth:?

Like, even my most wanted, Crash Bandicoot, even I have to admit that he's NOWHERE near their level in terms of "OH GOD THE INTERNET'S BREAKING APART" factor.

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
If nothing else, I've enjoyed all the insane tinfoil hattery today.
It makes a nice compliment to the inevitable salt-storm that comes after every newcomer, doesn’t it? Even if I do just want to go off on some people sometimes, it’s still funny to see people think they’re on high horses, when in reality they’re just throwing childish tantrums.
Personally, a lot of the complaints and/or nitpicks I’ve heard are ultimately non-issues to me. I’m excited to see who’s next in line, partly because they’re definitely gonna be fun, partly to see the wide array of reactions.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
My expectations for tomorrow, in regards to Smash, are low.

Not because I expect the character to suck or anything like that.

It's more

How does anyone follow up the one, two punch of: :ultsteve: and :ultsephiroth:?

Like, even my most wanted, Crash Bandicoot, even I have to admit that he's NOWHERE near their level in terms of "OH GOD THE INTERNET'S BREAKING APART" factor.
It's pretty easy how.

"Hey, it's me, Goku!"

rexfan53

Smash Apprentice
We still don't have Porky's spirit. It's just weird **** dude, I feel like those characters (Rex and Porky) might have been put on a backburner but were never fully developed for time-related purposes. But that's just my silly little theory that isn't really valid at all, it's just an idea on why certain Spirits are missing or barren.
even if they were placed on a backburner, I feel like they would've just scrapped both of them due to them being super complex. Porky could've also been a boss that they never finished. Rex could've been a weapon switching character. Its kind of sad that we only find out about whats going on behind the scenes years after the game is finished

SpecterFlower

Smash Ace
Anyway, for anybody looking for some nostalgia, Good Vibes Gaming (the guys who left GameXplain) uploaded their predictions for the Direct:

Interestingly, they seem to think the new Smash rep will be a first party, specifically a Gen 8 Pokemon.
Interesting predictions but it's nice to have them back (seriously tho FF13 trilogy? really?)

Pillow

Smash Lord
You can choose not to believe me if you want, I don't care, but my dad is Masahiro Sakurai and this is how the character reveal for tomorrow will go down. Don't @ me. It'll open up where the Ridley trailer left off, with Ridley standing victorious over Samus. Just as he's about to land the final blow you hear a clicking sound...is it Master Chief? Doomguy? Nah it's neither, the sound is jail bars enclosed around Ridley. The next moment Ridley finds himself at the witness stand when Phoenix Wright reveals himself as his lawyer. The word "Phoenix Wright Preps his Defense" appears in the zoom-in shot and Cornered! begins playing.

Oh, and the last two characters after Phoenix are Crash Bandicoot and SirFetch'd with a Scrooge McDuck echo.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
If you guys wanna talk about missing spirits, let's talk about how Atlus has Tokyo Mirage Sessions and Persona 5 spirits and neither of them have Jack Frost, their goddamn company mascot.

This means 1 of 3 things:
1. They literally don't care enough
2. They're saving it for a Spirit Event
3. SHIN MEGAMI TENSEI CHARACTER PASS, BAY-BEEEEEEEEEE

Of course with my luck, it's going to be number 1.

RaintheCriminalWhirlwind

Smash Journeyman
Nah... nah... gonna stick with Fulgore.

This page is now dedicated to Fulgore appreciation.

MG can do no wrong after making this theme:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom