• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Absolutely. Donkey Kong, Kirby, Xenoblade, and Street Fighter are all viable candidates. Mario could also get another DLC character.
What about Sonic? After Shadow got screwed out of Echo status by being an Assist Trophy again, I see lots of other Sonic characters (especially Eggman) as viable candidates.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Absolutely. Donkey Kong, Kirby, Xenoblade, and Street Fighter are all viable candidates. Mario could also get another DLC character.
How about Splatoon, with Octoling after the success of Octo Expansion?

hell, if they really wanna surprise us: F-Zero comeback with Black Shadow added to Smash

SKX31

Smash Master
Something that's been on my mind for the past few days:

If we ever got a Sony rep, I think it's relatively safe to say that the current general consensus seems to be that Kratos would probably be the one picked. Big and popular series, has been kind of a mascot for Sony since the PS2 era, got a new game a few years ago and another seems to be in production.

Question is: what about after him? Imho it would be Kat, Ratchet or Sackboy. Maybe Nathan Drake, but I don't know enough about Uncharted to have an informed opinion about that.

(I dunno, I just wanted to bring up something new.)
Nathan Drake looks like the "obvious" second pick at first glance, but given how earthshattering practically any Sony character would be just by the precedence and enourmous amount of obstacles, I'm not so sure he'd be an automatic frontrunner. Ratchet and Clank for example have a strong argument since they've been a consistently running series and might be easier to fit in than Nathan (or harder, depending on how their weaponry would interact with Smash's aerial focused). One can make similar arguments for other characters like Jak / Daxter, Sly, Sweet Tooth, Kat, Sackboy...

The list goes on, really. If I had to choose the second Sony character, I'd probably say Rachet / Clank, but it's close.

Staarih

Smash Master
Last edited:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Here we go:

Who said Directs were dead?
Well I'll be damned.

I'll fully take the L on this one, I genuinely thought they wouldn't be doing full blown Directs again, and would be doing week to week announcements.

Very happy to be proven wrong.

Last edited:

Otoad64

Smash Lord

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
After Sephiroth, anyone else think they could just double dip into an already series franchise in Smash?
They could but I don't think Nintendo would. I chalk up Sephiroth's inclusion to Nintendo not being satisfied with the amount of Final Fantasy 7 content in Smash. I doubt Chun Li's chances for this reason. I mean sure Nintendo could give the newer Street Fighter games more attention but Street Fighter 2 is the most iconic game of them all so I don't think Nintendo would break their backs over it. Besides Capcom isn't short of other franchises that Nintendo could go for instead like Devil May Cry, Ace Attorney, Ghouls n Ghosts, etc.

Here we go:

Who said Direct's were dead?
Smash Ultimate huh? That sounds like we could get another announcement for another Fighters Pass and... probably another guessing game heaven forbid.

zumaddy

Smash Ace
Let's GOOOO

Man, it's been so long since a full direct, and we're getting Smash news with it to boot! This place is going be crazy for the next day and a half and I can't wait :)

D

Deleted member

Here we go:

Info about games already available and Smash is named specifically? Awesome, looks like we may be getting our reveal for the next fighter. I honestly kind of hope that we don't get the reveal of a third fighter's pass. For Sakurai's sake. Just let the man rest already!

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276

I.D.

Smash Lord
an actual nintendo direct AND they flat out say it'll have smash bros in it

Nintendo: 2020 was a ****ing mistake
I mean

Direct Mini March - 4.7m views
Partner Showcase July - 3.2m views
Partner Showcase August - 1.5m views
Partner Showcase September - 1.1m views
Partner Showcase October - 410k views

Seems fair to say the experiment wasn't particularly successful

Dr. Jojo Phantasma

The Chessmaster
Yaaay, finally. I do feel CP9 will be a 'smaller' character so I wouldn't be surprised to see Sol Badguy or Arle revealed tomorrow.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
I mean

Granted we don't know if Nintendo won't venture into these waters again, but it was a potentially interesting idea just executed dubiously. Those first two Partner Showcases did some real damage to the reputation of the concept and probably led to far less people inclined to check them out after.

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Here we go:

YYOOOOO 50 Minutes! And Smash! This is hype. I was not expecting much until March. Let's gooo!!

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Here we go:

LET'S ******* GOOOO!

The fact that they straight up namedrop Smash tells me that at the very least we're getting an annoucement for a "Sakurai Presents ???". So even if we don`t know who CP9 is, we'll probably know when we'll know.

Inb4 I'm wrong and it's just Smallest Battlefield. :4pacman:

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I mean

They may have gotten the views, but how was the consumer perception on it? Plus, for a major console company, most of those view counts are kinda low when compared to some YouTubers who can crack those numbers within a couple of weeks as opposed to 6 months to a year.

I can tell from Twitter's Google Translate tier-translation that Sakurai is laughing and I don't know if I should be excited or scared.
It's a clue! Analyze it til we're sick of this new 'Sakurai Laugh Theory!!!'

zferolie

Smash Hero
So another direct with smash news where we are basically going in blind, i like that. It seems like for most of this dlc sakurai and nintendo have been really good at keeping the surprises, when most other games get everything spoiled.

As far as i am aware, any possible hint are just the 2 5chan lists, one showing off a bunch of characters from a list, and the other sayong reimu, crash, and KOS-MOS are the final ones yes? Only ones that havent been debunked.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
We might not get a new reveal here. It might just be a Sakurai Presents announcement or even the reveal of a third Fighter Pass.

Powerman293

Smash Ace
I can feel in the pit of my stomach it's a Pokemon. Nintendo and Game Freak would be dumb enough to push a Gen 8 pokemon on us as the Gen is on the way out.

D

Deleted member

PK-remling Fire

Smash Ace
Here we go:

A surprise to be sure, but a welcome one.

Though I'm not sure if they're going to be full-on revealing a character. I'm leaning more towards Nintendo saying that the next fighter is from a certain series, like with ARMS and Min Min. But with the presentation being tomorrow, it won't take that long to find out one way or the other.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I can see either of those 3 things happening. A third pass could happen honestly goven their numbers
But the questions are would Sakurai want to do a third pass, and would Nintendo do a third pass without Sakurai?

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Incidentally if we were to get a fighter reveal here (with the Sakurai presents coming later) it would be the first proper Smash character (not just franchise but the individual character) to be shown off in a general Direct since Terry in September 2019.

D

Deleted member

Hey time zone please for Nintendo Direct!
What's your time zone? I'll look up what time it should be for you.

I can feel in the pit of my stomach it's a Pokemon. Nintendo and Game Freak would be dumb enough to push a Gen 8 pokemon on us as the Gen is on the way out.
We've got another 2 years at least that counts as 'Generation 8', you now. They've heard fans loud and clear and know we want a little more time to develop these games. Also, the heavily rumored Gen 4 Remakes would be considered 'Gen 8' just like how Heart Gold & Soul Silver were considered Gen 4.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

I’m personally betting on an announcement of a Sakurai Presents rather than a straight up reveal.

As for the character, I’m just gonna assume it’s not one of my most wanteds because unless Bandai wants a piece of that DLC pie most of my wants are dubious at best.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I’m personally betting on an announcement of a Sakurai Presents rather than a straight up reveal.

As for the character, I’m just gonna assume it’s not one of my most wanteds because unless Bandai wants a piece of that DLC pie most of my wants are dubious at best.
Yeah. Same here. My personal most wanted at this point is Monster Hunter because of Rise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom