• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
There's also CP10, when Rise will have likely brought in a lot of fans on the Nintendo side. After that, though, I'm not so sure.
Thats fair, though Smash Marketing normally avoids that kind of thing (If I remember correctly that is).
I think one thing we can all agree on is that Monster Hunter will get something come March. Those Mii costumes will be coming back with the next character, the question is whether or not a character will come alongside them, or if a Spirit Event will follow if it doesn't.
Yeah, theres no way we don’t at least get a Spirit Event or Mii Costumes.
Think they’ll randomly drop miis outta nowhere like they did with Lloyd’s in 4?
I feel like that ship has sailed. Hasn’t happened for the past 2 years, why start now?

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Thats fair, though Smash Marketing normally avoids that kind of thing (If I remember correctly that is).

Yeah, theres no way we don’t at least get a Spirit Event or Mii Costumes.

I feel like that ship has sailed. Hasn’t happened for the past 2 years, why start now?
Counterpoint; they DID randomly drop Small Battlefield on us out of nowhere. WITHOUT a character.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
...what do you mean? That happens in literally every update.

Edit: Oh, by randomly drop, did he mean outside of a FP release? Yeah, then you're right, that hasn't happened in Ultimate.

Last edited:

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
Counterpoint; they DID randomly drop Small Battlefield on us out of nowhere. WITHOUT a character.
C20F090C-C1F8-4EFF-AE90-46AD6CD4773E.png
New Mii Costumes are different, they require full scale modeling and acquired rights. Small Battlefield is just Battlefield with Pokemon Stadiums layout.
...what do you mean? That happens in literally every update.

Edit: Oh, by randomly drop, did he mean outside of a FP release? Yeah, then you're right, that hasn't happened in Ultimate.
Yeah, your edit is right.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
That was just a quick little thing based on an existing stage because the devs felt like the normal battlefield was too big.
I think it had more to do with the fact that the FGC doesn't like normal battlefield. And the whole point of it was to make it so the FGC could use every level(Nintendo WANTS them to show off all the levels at tournaments).

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
I have to be honest, I'm not sure why we're targeting March as the only time a Capcom character could come. Byleth didn't get revealed until 6 months after TH released in terms of characters, and for more minor content they didn't release spirits of Ring Fit or Astral Chains until months after their games released, despite being new IPs that could more readily benefit from Smash cross-promotion. To add, MH as a game can allow people to play for months after its release and no matter which Capcom character they go with they are characters from franchises that can definitely sell themselves on its own, so it's not like it needs to be immediately capitalized on before it fades away. A Capcom character doesn't need Rise to prop themselves up, they can be sold anytime after the game's release.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I will say that the combination of the fact that the Monster Hunter costumes haven't returned yet, and the fact that Monster Hunter only has ONE Spirit in the game, despite having a Boss, does lead me to believe that all this MH content was being held back because a MH character has been planned all along. And the only reason we already got Rathalos already is because they wanted all the bosses in the base game.

Similar to how Final Fantasy content sucked, but that may have been because it was being held back for Sephiroth.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I have to be honest, I'm not sure why we're targeting March as the only time a Capcom character could come. Byleth didn't get revealed until 6 months after TH released in terms of characters, and for more minor content they didn't release spirits of Ring Fit or Astral Chains until months after their games released, despite being new IPs that could more readily benefit from Smash cross-promotion. To add, MH as a game can allow people to play for months after its release and no matter which Capcom character they go with they are characters from franchises that can definitely sell themselves on its own, so it's not like it needs to be immediately capitalized on before it fades away. A Capcom character doesn't need Rise to prop themselves up, they can be sold anytime after the game's release.
I don't think that it's for Capcom as a whole, but specifically for Monster Hunter as Nintendo would most likely prefer Rise getting pushed more while it's exclusive to Nintendo instead of when it goes multiplat

7NATOR

Smash Master
Even without considering Rise's release date

Ryu's Amiibo being on the list of restocked amiibo along with Cloud, and the Mario and Zelda amiibos, could suggest the Next Challenger pack will have some type of Capcom content in it, whether it be through Mii's, or perhaps the Fighter themselves

So I think Monster Hunter costumes will return with this Challenger pack

Last edited:

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
I am once again asking you to shill for Sakura Shinguji.
When was the first time?

Anywho I'll do it.

"ahem"......mechs and cute girls.

What? you expected an essay?

Ok jokes aside Sakura Wars is a cool game. If anyone is into the idea of a RPG (Or action RPG with the reboot) that is also a visual novel dating sim, then play it people. It has a real good soundtrack and memorable characters. The first game also has some interesting history and was an ambitious title for its time. If anyone wants an introduction, then watch this. This video is a big part of why I became interested in the series.

And also this video which is shorter:

Pillow

Smash Lord
I will say that the combination of the fact that the Monster Hunter costumes haven't returned yet, and the fact that Monster Hunter only has ONE Spirit in the game, despite having a Boss, does lead me to believe that all this MH content was being held back because a MH character has been planned all along. And the only reason we already got Rathalos already is because they wanted all the bosses in the base game.

Similar to how Final Fantasy content sucked, but that may have been because it was being held back for Sephiroth.
I don't know if I necessarily agree that it'll be monster hunter playable characters, but I definitely think all signs point to a Capcom character coming - and of course the monster hunter costumes, and perhaps a spirit event coming alongside or shortly following that. With Terry we have precedent for characters bringing content from not just their base game, but from games from their company's whole repertoire.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I don't know if I necessarily agree that it'll be monster hunter playable characters, but I definitely think all signs point to a Capcom character coming - and of course the monster hunter costumes, and perhaps a spirit event coming alongside or shortly following that. With Terry we have precedent for characters bringing content from not just their base game, but from games from their company's whole repertoire.
Terry was a special case. SNK's works are a lot more connected than most, largely because of King of Fighters assimilating the bulk of their big series. Capcom does seem to have a shared universe going on with Street Fighter, but it still has a lot of other big games that are completely separate, like mega Man, Monster Hunter, and Resident Evil. I think the only scenario where we get a general Capcom pack is with Marvel vs. Capcom, which might be a bit of a copyrights issue.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
I don't think that it's for Capcom as a whole, but specifically for Monster Hunter as Nintendo would most likely prefer Rise getting pushed more while it's exclusive to Nintendo instead of when it goes multiplat
I've seen the argument used for other Capcom characters like Chun-Li as well, especially since the MH costumes are still absent and many feel they could be used for Rise promotion.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Plus I think it was generally accepted that Terry was likely the only real chance for a lot of SNK content, hence the blowout of songs and appearances.

(And that's not even mentioning Sakurai's love of the series to boot)

Pillow

Smash Lord
Terry was a special case. SNK's works are a lot more connected than most, largely because of King of Fighters assimilating the bulk of their big series. Capcom does seem to have a shared universe going on with Street Fighter, but it still has a lot of other big games that are completely separate, like mega Man, Monster Hunter, and Resident Evil. I think the only scenario where we get a general Capcom pack is with Marvel vs. Capcom, which might be a bit of a copyrights issue.
That's true, I'm just saying the possibility is there. This is specially true if the character is someone like Chun-Li, Sakurai might take it as an opportunity to bring other content to Smash instead of just SF stuff, which Smash already has some content of.

Plus I think it was generally accepted that Terry was likely the only real chance for a lot of SNK content, hence the blowout of songs and appearances.

(And that's not even mentioning Sakurai's love of the series to boot)
I'm not sure if Terry was their only pick. He was definitely the most obvious, but during the day or two before he was revealed and Nintendo spoiled the SNK thing there was a lot of debate over who the character could be. Plus, from what Sakurai implied, the amount of content had less to do with Sakurai and more to do with SNK saying yeah just take everything.

Last edited:

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
Monster Hunter’s in such a weird spot for me. It makes so much sense & it’s shocking that it hasn’t yet. But then there’s the rumors that the MonHun team still isn’t fond of the Hunter being the “face” of the series.

& that stuff Imran Kahn with Byleth being a replacement for a “similar character”, though that’s one of his less believable claims since even he wasn’t too confident in it. I know people get mad at that claim. But I don’t think the idea is that Byleth is 1:1 what MonHun could be; it’s more like Byleth being a replacement for the “multi-weapon character with slow but strong attacks” role. Though, I think MonHun could still get in & be different enough.

The character’s in a really weird spot IMO. Equally likely & unlikely.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
That's true, I'm just saying the possibility is there. This is specially true if the character is someone like Chun-Li, Sakurai might take it as an opportunity to bring other content to Smash instead of just SF stuff, which Smash already has some content of.
I don't think it'd really work out that way. Like I said before, SNK is a special case because King of Fighters tied together pretty much all of their major series, not to mention the fact that they're a much smaller company that evidently had a much smaller price tag, if the 50 songs are any indication. Maybe a couple Street Fighter-related series, but I feel like Chun-Li would end up representing SF3 and Alpha specifically based on her connections to those games, rather than just being the general Street Fighter rep for the sake of Street Fighter. Not sure how many crossovers there were in those games, but I think it would cut down the amount of non-SF content.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Monster Hunter in Smash is a matter of time, that's how I feel about it. I'd maybe doubt about it if the series entirely skipped Nintendo consoles after MH: World but this clearly is not the case. Monster Hunter is popular everywhere and while MH: World was clearly the peak of the series in terms of popularity, Capcom still knows there's enough fan demand among Nintendo users for Monster Hunter games. Rise might not be exclusive of the Switch but it was still developed with the Switch in consideration, meaning that Capcom believes there's still a significant market there.
They could have gone the "easy" way and develop the game for the same platforms MH: World was released on, but they didn't.

Certainly I thought the same about Resident Evil, but it might be true that what held back a potential RE character was the gory stuff and/or Sakurai not figuring out a moveset for the character at the time, which of course could change in the future.

Monster Hunter does not have that problem at all. Doesn't mean they will get in for sure but there's no gory/mature/sexual thing that could complicate their inclusion, and I don't think Sakurai would have a problem at all if he had to create a moveset for the Hunter.

And this is coming from someone who prefers Resident Evil over MH.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Monster Hunter’s in such a weird spot for me. It makes so much sense & it’s shocking that it hasn’t yet. But then there’s the rumors that the MonHun team still isn’t fond of the Hunter being the “face” of the series.

& that stuff Imran Kahn with Byleth being a replacement for a “similar character”, though that’s one of his less believable claims since even he wasn’t too confident in it. I know people get mad at that claim. But I don’t think the idea is that Byleth is 1:1 what MonHun could be; it’s more like Byleth being a replacement for the “multi-weapon character with slow but strong attacks” role. Though, I think MonHun could still get in & be different enough.

The character’s in a really weird spot IMO. Equally likely & unlikely.
MH is like a Gen 8 Pokémon; there's so many logical reasons for it to get in, yet its so easy imagine a scenario where they don't.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Ok so I've been playing Ys 7 and hey

I think Adol would be neat.
Ys SEVEN is really fun, enjoy it. It has some fantastic scenario themes in my opinion.

Coincidentally, I recently finished Ys 3 and well, it was great. The game's certainly a bit harder than the other ones I've played, but it's so good and I found it very well designed. Maybe my fave Ys game so far. After completing Boss Rush Mode now I'm playing it on hard difficulty and well, it's certainly hard lol

Oh and it obviously had a killer soundtrack as well:

My favourite boss fight was
Chester 2, I died like 20 times or so lmao but it was really fun and well done in my opinion

Pillow

Smash Lord
I don't think it'd really work out that way. Like I said before, SNK is a special case because King of Fighters tied together pretty much all of their major series, not to mention the fact that they're a much smaller company that evidently had a much smaller price tag, if the 50 songs are any indication. Maybe a couple Street Fighter-related series, but I feel like Chun-Li would end up representing SF3 and Alpha specifically based on her connections to those games, rather than just being the general Street Fighter rep for the sake of Street Fighter. Not sure how many crossovers there were in those games, but I think it would cut down the amount of non-SF content.
Again, I agree with you that SNK is likely a special case. I'm just saying I wouldn't be surprised if it turned out the opposite, given Smash's history for breaking expectations.

Monster Hunter in Smash is a matter of time, that's how I feel about it. I'd maybe doubt about it if the series entirely skipped Nintendo consoles after MH: World but this clearly is not the case. Monster Hunter is popular everywhere and while MH: World was clearly the peak of the series in terms of popularity, Capcom still knows there's enough fan demand among Nintendo users for Monster Hunter games. Rise might not be exclusive of the Switch but it was still developed with the Switch in consideration, meaning that Capcom believes there's still a significant market there.
They could have gone the "easy" way and develop the game for the same platforms MH: World was released on, but they didn't.

Certainly I thought the same about Resident Evil, but it might be true that what held back a potential RE character was the gory stuff and/or Sakurai not figuring out a moveset for the character at the time, which of course could change in the future.

Monster Hunter does not have that problem at all. Doesn't mean they will get in for sure but there's no gory/mature/sexual thing that could complicate their inclusion, and I don't think Sakurai would have a problem at all if he had to create a moveset for the Hunter.

And this is coming from someone who prefers Resident Evil over MH.
Yeah there are certain characters that feel like they'll inevitably come. The big difference is whether they come in the base game or in the theoretical Smash 6. While Smash still has tons of potential characters, there really are only so many obvious inclusions that aren't already in the roster. I think it's kinda funny though that a lot of the obvious inclusions, at least in my opinion, come from Capcom (Monster Hunter, Chun-Li, Resident Evil).

GillyGrime

Smash Journeyman
Yo, I don't think it's been ever mentioned before here, but did you guys know that Bowser's 8th alt is actually the character Bowser's brother from Super Mario Bros Lost Levels. Bowser's brother is the name given to the blueish Bowser clone in one of the levels. Source: https://www.mariowiki.com/Bowser's_Brother

So basically, Bowser's brother is like another Alph to Olimar.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Yo, I don't think it's been ever mentioned before here, but did you guys know that Bowser's 8th alt is actually the character Bowser's brother from Super Mario Bros Lost Levels. Bowser's brother is the name given to the blueish Bowser clone in one of the levels. Source: https://www.mariowiki.com/Bowser's_Brother

It is actually a different character, but it seems to have been retconed to just "Fake Bowser" since then, so it might not actually be his brother anymore.

TerminatorLOL

Smash Journeyman
This probably has been discussed a lot before, but I'm curious. Who is the most obscure/least discussed character that you want? In other words, who is your pipe dream want?

For me, it's my man Crypto.

Destroy All Humans! - How to Change Skin

He can summon meteors, throw people around with psychokinesis, has a weapon that is effectively a grenade launcher that ionizes humans and blows stuff up, he can summon an underground beast and a venus human trap, has a gun that shoots rainbows balls that pick people and objects up and bounces them around the place while dealing damage, and can combine objects into a ball and throw it.

Oh yeah, he also has a flying saucer of death and sounds like Jack Nicholson. What's not to love?
Here are some picks I know no one is talking about

1612219042397.png

1612219210439.png
Can you feel the storm? ...Its coming

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
I would really enjoy another SNK like pack, but honestly I don't really see it. I think if Adol gets in Smash they might add some music from Legend of heroes and Trails because they share the same genre and I could see Falcolm being easy to work with, but even Persona didn't come with Megami tensei music so it's not a guarantee.

As much as I would want it, I don't see Devil may cry music coming with a Monster hunter character, or Okami music with Phoenix Wright.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I would really enjoy another SNK like pack, but honestly I don't really see it. I think if Adol gets in Smash they might add some music from Legend of heroes and Trails because they share the same genre and I could see Falcolm being easy to work with, but even Persona didn't come with Megami tensei music so it's not a guarantee.

As much as I would want it, I don't see Devil may cry music coming with a Monster hunter character, or Okami music with Phoenix Wright.
Something I'd like to point out is that Falcom's songs are all made by the same sound team. That's a major reason I think a Falcom rep could bring songs from the company's entire catalogue; It's all owned by the same team, so they can easily snag some songs from other series while they're at it.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Yknow, with Monster Hunter I feel it's also kind of telling that the most significant content we've seen so far (Rathalos boss / AT, section in World of Light) are specifically elements of MH representation that would NOT come with a proper DLC pack. And then a couple songs because... well, why add the Rathalos theme for the battle and not make it a selectable track, that would just kinda be dumb.

But given how significant a part of the series Rathalos is, it would kinda suck if he was held off until they can eventually add the Hunter only to be a stage element rather than a full on true to form boss battle. Better to add what they could in the moment than have no Monster Hunter content at all, or miss out on a really important aspect of the series when they add it later.

Meanwhile we have MH spirits that were seemingly abandoned and the MH music lumped in alongside tracks from the playable series. And if we take into account the idea that additional DLC was probably planned from the getgo (to some extent, even if it wasn't a full pass) I think it's highly possible and quite likely that Nintendo would choose to hold off on this additional content when the opportunity for promoting a hot new Nintendo exclusive MH game revealed itself (considering Rise has been in development for some time now).

Last edited:

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
I'm curious; if the Hunter were to come as a fighter, what would happen to the Monster Hunter songs in the tracklist? Would they move to the respective series playlist, or would they stay in the Others tab, so they could still be played on the general stages? This is a serious question.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I'm curious; if the Hunter were to come as a fighter, what would happen to the Monster Hunter songs in the tracklist? Would they move to the respective series playlist, or would they stay in the Others tab, so they could still be played on the general stages? This is a serious question.
I imagine the tracks would be available on general stages for those who already enjoy them on a particular stage, and then just also available on the dedicated Monster Hunter stage with brand new tracks that are exclusive to that stage.

I think that'd be a pretty easy solution and wouldn't really disrupt anything significant.

Last edited:

Pillow

Smash Lord
For fans of the Monster Hunter series, if Monster Hunter is the next character coming to smash

1. What armor should they be wearing? Normally I'd say the regular Rathalos armor they're usually shown wearing is a given, but since they're almost certain to return as Mii costumes as well I feel there's room for some new stuff as well as alternate costume potential

2. Would you rather a stance / weapon change gimmick, or the Hunter just use different weapons for different moves like Byleth?

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero

Yup, I just learned that fact in JWittz's colors of Bowser video.

Ivander

Smash Legend
For fans of the Monster Hunter series, if Monster Hunter is the next character coming to smash

1. What armor should they be wearing? Normally I'd say the regular Rathalos armor they're usually shown wearing is a given, but since they're almost certain to return as Mii costumes as well I feel there's room for some new stuff as well as alternate costume potential

2. Would you rather a stance / weapon change gimmick, or the Hunter just use different weapons for different moves like Byleth?
1. Both the Hunter Armor and the Rathalos Armor are the most marketed Hunter armors, next to the Rathian and Kirin armors. So despite both being Mii costumes, they are almost certainly the guaranteed armors on the Hunter. That said, some other notable armors include the Yukumo armor, the Lagiacrus armor, the Zinogre armor, the Barioth armor, the Nargacuga armor, the Rajang armor, the Gore Magala armor and the Guild armor.

2. Preferably the different weapons for different moves like Byleth. For one, because the Hunter has way too many weapons to make a stance/weapon change gimmick not complicated. And two, it wouldn't be surprising if they took inspiration from the Hunter's moveset from Marvel Infinite.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Not a Monster Hunter fan, but I can still say it would almost certainly be the Rathalos Armour. Mii Costumes and the characters they're based on can coexist, it's just that for DLC, seeing the costume first means that the fighter isn't on the way.

Even barring that, I'd say it's more likely that they'd just not resell the pre-existing costume than not give the Monster Hunter the Rathalos set as the default.

Both the Hunter Armor and the Rathalos Armor are the most marketed Hunter armors...
Do you think those are the two armour sets we'd get then assuming the male and female variants don't have different armour sets?

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend
Do you think those are the two armour sets we'd get then assuming the male and female variants don't have different armour sets?
Assuming we don't get different armors, it's a toss-up between the Hunter armor or the Rathalos armor.
MH3_Hunter's_Armor_CG_Artworks.png

MH3-Rathalos_Armor_(Blademaster)_Render.png

That said, the Rathalos armor may be the picked armor over the Hunter armor just because it's one of the easiest armors to give alternate colors to, since they would do the Rathalos colors, the Azure Rathalos colors and the Silver Rathalos colors and then pick one of the other Rath monsters to get a color from, like Rathian, Pink Rathian, Gold Rathian, etc.

On the chance we get multiple Hunter armors for alternates, it can go any way. Like they could do the first two outfits for the Rathalos armor, than pick any other armors to use for the male and female alternates. Or they could pick 4 armors to use for both the male and female alternates. Or they could give the Rathalos armor to one of the genders only. I mean, with how many armors there are, there are many different possibilities for how they handle the alternate costumes.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom