• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Going to make the easiest soul read of my life.

We are getting a Kirby game this year. My gut says it will not be directly in the style of Star Allies, so probably a spin off. I have absolutely no evidence to support this, but it is the single easiest prediction I could make for something coming out this year.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
I honestly think Kirby's going to something a bit different for its next mainline title. We got 3 and half great modern games via returning to the Super Star formula, but it feels like its time for the franchise to try something new. Maybe its 3D or something else, I don't know; it just feels due.

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
General agreement is somewhere around March, perhaps a couple weeks earlier if we're lucky
You and I must be looking forward to the end of Smash DLC.

Not to mention Piranha Plant became playable without a support thread. So I still think the same could go for other characters.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Peer-to-peer is better for one-on-one fights, though. I mean, why would you bother connecting two players to a central server, when you could just connect them directly?
Peer-to-peer's issue is that you don't have the central server to compensate for the heavy lifting. Would also solves issue where two connection have compatibility issues, where Player A lags with Player B but not Player C, and Player B don't lag with Player C either but Lag with Player A for some weird reasons that often than not are not understandable, even after test through Sable Connects that shows that the two players are fine.
Smash's Netcode is trash from the core of it, P2P make it worst.

SKX31

Smash Master
I know it wasn't addressed to me, but I'll answer it anyway. A lot of Smash characters are like this for me. I was so sure I'd hate playing Terry, as I hate playing the Shotos, because I find the fighting game input thing to feel so awkward in Smash, but he ended up being my favorite DLC behind Joker so far. I also had a lot of qualms about the final pick for the base game being Incineroar, a pokemon I really didn't care for at the time (Owl was my SuMo choice) but the way he animates and moves in Smash is just fantastic.
That's honestly fully understandable. Whatever one winds up liking can be a bit counterintuitive sometimes. I did quite like how Ken played despite the command inputs messing me up and not really getting the hang of him. Conversely, there are some characters that should be second nature to me but doesn't really stick. Banjo-Kazooie would be my prime example, and I honestly think it's due to their frame data being just a bit too slow for my liking. Not helped by the fact that B-K's more in-depth stuff (their combos / strings starting from Eggs and the Grenegg's uses) feels a bit too unintuitive to me personally.

Then again, I play a character with a fast offensive toolkit, so that might be a main reason why in both cases.

She also voiced Ness 😮
ありがとう (Arigato), Ms. Ohmoto, for creating one of Smash's most enduring memes.

:4pacman:

(Seriously, kudos to her for continuously VAing those characters in particular. I can't imagine that Kirby nor Ness would be easy to voice at all due to how they're energetic in a specific way.)

Going to make the easiest soul read of my life.

We are getting a Kirby game this year. My gut says it will not be directly in the style of Star Allies, so probably a spin off. I have absolutely no evidence to support this, but it is the single easiest prediction I could make for something coming out this year.
Misread Kirby in that context as Kiryu Star Allies.

Now I kinda want that game. :4dedede:

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I feel like one of the only people who doesn't want Kirby to go 3D. It feels like such an outdated mentality that a platforming series should feel pressured to adapt or evolve into something it isn't created to be. The core design of Kirby heavily favors its 2D structure (inhale / spit straight ahead, straightforward directional inputs for copy abilities, etc) and I imagine this being kind of awkward and neutered in a 3D space. Not every series is intended to make this jump nor do I think there's any pressing need to do so (I mean hell, there are some series that did and I wish they didn't).

If they decide to go that route, I'll obviously support it and hope for the best. But I think Kirby belongs in 2D and it doesn't need to jump dimensions to create an innovative or interesting new experience.

They just need to not make RTDL for the fifth time in a row. Star Allies was a nice little game but a super bare-bones experience IMO, and the helper-based gimmick kinda just slowed the game down for me rather than enhance it (like the puzzle rooms that pretty much feed you exactly what to do, and you need to sit back and watch it happen half the time). The Dream Friends were really the saving grace that always has me holding back on criticizing the game further, because it was so nice to finally get to play as Marx - er well, see him back at all, really.

Last edited:

Otoad64

Smash Lord
I feel like one of the only people who doesn't want Kirby to go 3D. It feels like such an outdated mentality that a platforming series should feel pressured to adapt or evolve into something it isn't created to be. The core design of Kirby heavily favors its 2D structure (inhale / spit straight ahead, straightforward directional inputs for copy abilities, etc) and I imagine this being kind of awkward and neutered in a 3D space. Not every series is intended to make this jump nor do I think there's any pressing need to do so (I mean hell, there are some series that did and I wish they didn't).

If they decide to go that route, I'll obviously support it and hope for the best. But I think Kirby belongs in 2D and it doesn't need to jump dimensions to create an innovative or interesting new experience.

They just need to not make RTDL for the fifth time in a row. Star Allies was a nice little game but a super bare-bones experience IMO, and the helper-based gimmick kinda just slowed the game down for me rather than enhance it (like the puzzle rooms that pretty much feed you exactly what to do, and you need to sit back and watch it happen half the time). The Dream Friends were really the saving grace that always has me holding back on criticizing the game further, because it was so nice to finally get to play as Marx - er well, see him back at all, really.
personally I just want them to try to make a full 3D Kirby.

but ideally they make 2D and 3D Kirby games instead of only one

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I feel like one of the only people who doesn't want Kirby to go 3D. It feels like such an outdated mentality that a platforming series should feel pressured to adapt or evolve into something it isn't created to be. The core design of Kirby heavily favors its 2D structure (inhale / spit straight ahead, straightforward directional inputs for copy abilities, etc) and I imagine this being kind of awkward and neutered in a 3D space. Not every series is intended to make this jump nor do I think there's any pressing need to do so.

I think the main reason why people want it is because there is potential there, and the current formula is starting to grow a bit stale. It doesn't have to be 3D, but I do think the series needs a bit of a shakeup in how the game is structured. I can't imagine most people would want 3D to replace 2.5D though.

One thing that I've been thinking about is that while Kirby's inhale could easily be a bit awkward with an over the shoulder camera like most platformers (though the Copy Abilities would turn such a game into Kirby May Cry, which I would be all for), it would probably do really well in a game that's isometric, top down, or something in between. There's a lot of things they could do with it, and I'd be interested to see what they'd do.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
What's interesting is that between Blowout Blast and Battle Royale, there clearly have been tests to try a variation of Kirby in a 3D space. While I don't necessarily think that's the direction they're going next, I do believe HAL Labratory is at least curious about trying it and given that we went through a whole 8 year period (2001-2008) filled with various Kirby experiments, I wouldn't be surprised if the next game would be them taking the plunge either.

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I think the main reason why people want it is because there is potential there, and the current formula is starting to grow a bit stale. It doesn't have to be 3D, but I do think the series needs a bit of a shakeup in how the game is structured. I can't imagine most people would want 3D to replace 2.5D though.
I agree that the current formula is stale, and we could use something fresh. Like I mentioned I'd prefer they don't just make RTDL 5, even though I absolutely love RTDL. We've had the same game feel for nearly a decade now with not much variation compared to the distinction between other entries of the series between even shorter periods of time (Super Star -> Dream Land 3 -> Kirby 64 is pretty significant).

I just don't really feel that a 3D game is the way to go, but I'm open to seeing how they approach it if they really want to give it a chance. I'll still play it and probably enjoy it but I just don't think it's as overdue or necessary as a lot of people say it is.

"Kirby May Cry" is definitely an appealing pitch though, lmao. I have to agree that I'd see it taking more after similar hack n slash styled games over the more conventional 3D platformers like Mario, given that Kirby has usually been more about plowing through everyone with your super cool abilities rather than tight platforming and thoughtful level design.

Last edited:

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
For fans of the Monster Hunter series, if Monster Hunter is the next character coming to smash

1. What armor should they be wearing? Normally I'd say the regular Rathalos armor they're usually shown wearing is a given, but since they're almost certain to return as Mii costumes as well I feel there's room for some new stuff as well as alternate costume potential

2. Would you rather a stance / weapon change gimmick, or the Hunter just use different weapons for different moves like Byleth?
1. I cannot imagine them not wearing the Rathalos armor as its their iconic look. Maybe they could have the regular hunter armor or the Kamura armor, but the Rathalos armor is a good representation of what the character is: A monster hunter that slays or captures monsters then makes armor (and general gear) out of them.

2. When I imagine Monster Hunter in Smash, I just imagine them using different weapons for different moves. Bow or Bowgun for neutral special, insect glaive for aerials, side special for something like the lance, hammer, etc. I'm not sure how a weapon change mechanic would work without making the moveset overly complex. Maybe they could have two weapons be automatically assigned to side and neutral special (up special would obviously be the wire bug) while you could use down special to switch between weapons. Each weapon would just have their own normal and smash attacks. There are 14 weapons but it's not like they have to use them all. And while it sounds like a lot of attacks, I don't think that would be a big issue considering we have Hero and Steve. Or they could do something completely different and make you choose one weapon for the hunt battle right before the match, but I'm not sure how they would balance that.

For simplicity sake, I would be perfectly fine with a standard moveset. I believe they could incorporate most, if not all, of the weapons within just the normal moves, smash attacks, and specials, without any kind of weapon switching mechanic or something like that.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer

They just need to not make RTDL for the fifth time. Star Allies was a nice little game but a super bare-bones experience IMO, and the helper-based gimmick kinda just slowed the game down for me rather than enhance it (like the puzzle rooms that pretty much feed you exactly what to do, and you need to sit back and watch it happen half the time). The Dream Friends were really the saving grace that always has me holding back on criticizing the game further, because it was so nice to finally get to play as Marx.
Seems a little prematurely myopic. Nintendo isn't a company that forces its series to evolve, and often they are put on ice when sufficient innovation escapes the creative team, like with Metroid. And apparently F-Zero, and Advance Wars. But then when an idea is had, it's worth experimenting with just to not kill its potential before its even had a chance.

If the Kirby team wants to bring the game into 3D, I feel like that's due to genuine desire to try something new with the series, not for some mandate. Kirby has existed for nearly 30 years without making the jump. The games are still successful. I don't feel like anybody is being coerced here. I feel it's an instance of an idea that clearly has percolated within HAL for the better part of 20 years finally materializing.

And I think that's worth at least a shot. A chance. If it stumbles and falls, well then there's still the 2D games to fall back on. But stifling innovation inhibits evolution. We wouldn't have received some groundbreaking, seminal titles like SM64, OoT, and Metroid Prime were the status quo not challenged. And I'm not saying a 3D Kirby will become GotY, but it would certainly breathe fresh air into a series that can get a bit stale with its repetition.

The biggest hurdle to me would be Kirby's ability to fly indefinitely, but it doesn't strike me as a series that inherently can't function with a z-axis. To not give the team the benefit of the doubt to at least reserve judgment until I've seen the thing seems a bit close-minded imo.

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
That said, the Rathalos armor may be the picked armor over the Hunter armor just because it's one of the easiest armors to give alternate colors to
I'd say Rathalos is the most likely because that's the one Capcom already uses for fighting game crossovers.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Seems people on the RTC are still confident on Crash.

Don't know what it is but gut feeling is telling me we ain't getting Crash and people are really overconfident on his chances. Remember when folks back in Sm4sh were sure of King K. Rool? The same feeling I'm having here honestly.

Pillow

Smash Lord
Assuming we don't get different armors, it's a toss-up between the Hunter armor or the Rathalos armor.
View attachment 301498
View attachment 301499
That said, the Rathalos armor may be the picked armor over the Hunter armor just because it's one of the easiest armors to give alternate colors to, since they would do the Rathalos colors, the Azure Rathalos colors and the Silver Rathalos colors and then pick one of the other Rath monsters to get a color from, like Rathian, Pink Rathian, Gold Rathian, etc.

On the chance we get multiple Hunter armors for alternates, it can go any way. Like they could do the first two outfits for the Rathalos armor, than pick any other armors to use for the male and female alternates. Or they could pick 4 armors to use for both the male and female alternates. Or they could give the Rathalos armor to one of the genders only. I mean, with how many armors there are, there are many different possibilities for how they handle the alternate costumes.
Yeah I mostly asked because I know the Kirin armor set is also pretty recognizable, especially for the girl hunter. Ideally they'd have different armor sets instead of just different color variations for the Rathalos armor, imo.

For the moveset I think that just using different weapons for different moves is the best as well. Though I hope they integrate traps/tracking into the moveset as well somehow. They are hunters, after all.

Don't know what it is but gut feeling is telling me we ain't getting Crash and people are really overconfident on his chances. Remember when folks back in Sm4sh were sure of King K. Rool? The same feeling I'm having here honestly.
Eh, like any other frequently discussed character he's got stuff going for him and stuff against. I feel he's not coming, but I wouldn't be surprised if he does show up.

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master
I might sound crazy when I say this, And I don't really buy into this, but I was just thinking of the Chun-Li stuff...

If you look into the Spirit categories of Street Fighter, I think it might imply that Chun-Li might not be the First option for another Street Fighter character

List of spirits (Street Fighter series) - SmashWiki, the Super Smash Bros. wiki (ssbwiki.com)

Chun-Li is only a 2 star Spirit that could be upgraded into a 3 star Spirit

Meanwhile Guile, M.Bison, and Akuma are all 4 star Spirits, and Guile is an assist Trophy

If you notice, Alot of the more prominent characters, Characters that would likely be the first option for another character for their particular franchise, are 4 Star spirits, whether regular or through enhancements.

Though on the other side, alot of the 4 Star Spirits are also boss characters, and I believe the Stars are also related to difficulty. Just something I wanted to share though

Otoad64

Smash Lord
anyone know what he's saying?
google translate: Did you bother to make the demon scaffolding for this Airman stage? Up to the physical fitness gauge with a ladder!

Louie G.

Smash Hero
To not give the team the benefit of the doubt to at least reserve judgment until I've seen the thing seems a bit close-minded imo.
I'm certainly willing to give it a chance if, like you said, HAL finds the proper inspiration to bring the series to a new dimension. If they decided to do that I would still play it, my personal thoughts on whether or not I think it should happen won't prevent that and I wouldn't immediately shun the game for existing.

What's soured me on this concept to an extent is this weird sort of N64 - GameCube esque mindset that a lot of people seem to have about Kirby making this jump as if it's something necessary for the series to continue or survive moving forward. The fact that Kirby has survived over 25 years without going Mario 64 is something that proves to me the series is under no real pressure to change. Star Allies felt stale because it's felt like the last three games, which I think they should really try and stray away from next time, but innovation can be had in a 2D plane just as well as it can making a full jump into 3D.

It sounds like you got the impression that I'm not willing to give this a chance though, which couldn't be further from the truth. Kirby is my favorite series and I trust that they could handle a new take (I mean, they've done a ton of weird stuff before), I just don't really agree with the push for Kirby to drastically reinvent itself when it's managed to keep itself fresh with far less. It's not really something the team has ever expressed direct interest in outside of the aforementioned Blowout Blast, so I don't really see it as any lack of trust in them either - for all we know they feel the same way that I do. And if they don't then I'll see it through and hopefully it'll impress me. I'm not so close-minded as to wish it didn't exist altogether if the desire to make it is actually there.

Pillow

Smash Lord
I might sound crazy when I say this, And I don't really buy into this, but I was just thinking of the Chun-Li stuff...

If you look into the Spirit categories of Street Fighter, I think it might imply that Chun-Li might not be the First option for another Street Fighter character

List of spirits (Street Fighter series) - SmashWiki, the Super Smash Bros. wiki (ssbwiki.com)

Meanwhile Guile, M.Bison, and Akuma are all 4 star Spirits, and Guile is an assist Trophy

If you notice, Alot of the more prominent characters, Characters that would likely be the first option for another character for their particular franchise, are 4 Star spirits, whether regular or through enhancements.

Though on the other side, alot of the 4 Star Spirits are also boss characters, and I believe the Stars are also related to difficulty. Just something I wanted to share though
I absolutely do not see a scenario where we get another Street Fighter character and that character isn't Chun-Li, unless Sakurai really wanted to pad out the roster with some echoes and gave us a 2nd Ryu echo with Akuma. She's arguably more well-known than Ryu. The stars thing definitely seems like a reach.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719

Since the purpose of another SF character would be to help expand its representation beyond 2, we might actually get Alex since he's supposed to be 3's protagonist.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Chun-Li is arguably the co-mascot of the series alongside Ryu, and at bare minimum is the secondary protagonist.

I'm not saying it's absolutely impossible but I would be genuinely shocked if they chose someone else over such an obvious next step (Ken having taken precedent just because he's an echo fighter - and anyway, he's like the only character that even comes close to Chun-Li).

1612229861596.png

Since the purpose of another SF character would be to help expand its representation beyond 2, we might actually get Alex since he's supposed to be 3's protagonist.
I think the purpose of another Street Fighter character would be because that character is an important character by their own merit, and not particularly to expand representation. Chun-Li could still carry content from Third Strike (and the Alpha series - although yes she doesn't appear in New Generation or Second Impact, while Alex does) while being a more significant character altogether. The only reason Alex would be chosen is for "representation" points which... I don't think really matters in a series where Ryu and Chun-Li exist in most of those games already.

Granted I wouldn't be opposed to Alex, I just think the reason to add another SF character right now would be to add beloved gaming icon Chun-Li, not directly to add a third SF rep or expand on the non-playable content.

Last edited:

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team

But Crash has a lot going for him. Not only is he heavily requested, there have been two games for the Switch, Activision has been pushing Crash as one of their big I.Ps, and he has a legacy. My point is that there is a reason why so many people are predicting Crash. He has a lot going for him and the arguments against him are honestly weak. Plus no one is saying he is a lock and I don't think so either. And unlike K. Rool who was not featured in a mainline Dk game for a long time, Crash is currently back in the spotlight so I don't see how you are getting the same feeling.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
But Crash has a lot going for him. Not only is he heavily requested, there have been two games for the Switch, Activision has been pushing Crash as one of their big I.Ps, and he has a legacy. My point is that there is a reason why so many people are predicting Crash. He has a lot going for him and the arguments against him are honestly weak. Plus no one is saying he is a lock and I don't think so either. And unlike K. Rool who was not featured in a mainline Dk game for a long time, Crash is currently back in the spotlight so I don't see how you are getting the same feeling.
My point is one should still keep expectations low. Again everyone was so sure of King K. Rool making it into Sm4sh and look how that turned out. The same could happen here and honestly...I'm just not feeling it. Sadly I don't see Crash getting in and we're more likely to get characters that we won't expect or were being slept on. If any big character I feel has a chance it's more around the lines of someone like Dante and Chun-Li, arguably Ryu Hayabusa as well.

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend
Apparently, the main Pic-of-the-Day post is talking about how Feb. 2nd is Setsubun(in Japan, it's February 2nd), which is a festival about using roasted soybeans to drive out the oni or evil spirits. Sakurai's post asks if the post bothered to make the demon head platform from Air Man's stage of Megaman 2. Specifically, this.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I'm certainly willing to give it a chance if, like you said, HAL finds the proper inspiration to bring the series to a new dimension. If they decided to do that I would still play it, my personal thoughts on whether or not I think it should happen won't prevent that and I wouldn't immediately shun the game for existing.

What's soured me on this concept to an extent is this weird sort of N64 - GameCube esque mindset that a lot of people seem to have about Kirby making this jump as if it's something necessary for the series to continue or survive moving forward. The fact that Kirby has survived over 25 years without going Mario 64 is something that proves to me the series is under no real pressure to change. Star Allies felt stale because it's felt like the last three games, which I think they should really try and stray away from next time, but innovation can be had in a 2D plane just as well as it can making a full jump into 3D.

It sounds like you got the impression that I'm not willing to give this a chance though, which couldn't be further from the truth. Kirby is my favorite series and I trust that they could handle a new take (I mean, they've done a ton of weird stuff before), I just don't really agree with the push for Kirby to drastically reinvent itself when it's managed to keep itself fresh with far less. It's not really something the team has ever expressed direct interest in outside of the aforementioned Blowout Blast, so I don't really see it as any lack of trust in them either - for all we know they feel the same way that I do. And if they don't then I'll see it through and hopefully it'll impress me. I'm not so close-minded as to wish it didn't exist altogether if the desire to make it is actually there.
I agree Kirby doesn't need to change, but if you only change because your back is against the ropes, isn't that more emblematic of the "series feeling pressured to become something it wasn't meant to be" you were concerned about? That's like what happened to Chibi-Robo.

If the series is perfectly healthy and the team wants to innovate, that seems rooted in sincerity much more than necessity. Kirby ran against the grain in the era where series were indeed being pressured to contemporize in a 3D setting, and maintained its success. Then it did go dark on the more capable and demanding system, the home console, for basically an entire decade when HAL couldn't adequately bring a 3D vision to life.

I'm not sure if these are false memories born out of hearing the anecdote so many times, but I feel like I remember the trepidation around Metroid making the jump to 3D as well. And we saw how that went. I'm not saying 3D Kirby will be a Metroid Prime caliber game, but precedent like that should, hopefully, at least assuage fears, shouldn't it? At least enough to reserve judgment until something tangible presents itself.

And I don't mean to imply you won't give the game a chance, it was more about not giving the idea a chance to present itself prior to drawing conclusions on it. To me, it feels unfair to have preconceived notions that a certain direction is inherently lesser when it's yet to be realized.

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master
I don't mind Alex, but I'm not sure if he be in, even if he was the Sf3 Protag. Though to be fair he was the First DLC character of SFV, that's got to count for something right

Chun-Li is arguably the co-mascot of the series alongside Ryu, and at bare minimum is the secondary protagonist.

I'm not saying it's absolutely impossible but I would be genuinely shocked if they chose someone else over such an obvious next step (Ken having taken precedent just because he's an echo fighter - and anyway, he's like the only character that even comes close to Chun-Li).
I'd argue Akuma and M.Bison are also around the Level of Ken and Chun-Li

M.Bison was the Final Boss of SF2, and other Street Fighter games like Alpha and 5. He also was the main villain of the Street Fighter movie. People also say he's among the Most Iconic villains in gaming

Akuma was the Secret Boss of SSF2 turbo, when people were making those rumors of Shen Long. He's the Reason MVC exists in the first place crossover, and he got into SF3 before Chun-Li did as well. He also makes more Crossover appearances then Ken, who actually misses crossovers alot of the time. Smash I think is the first time that Ken got over all the other Street Fighter characters for crossover. Good Job Ken

But I do agree that especially nowadays, Chun-Li is treated as the Co-Mascot of SF5, So I think on that logic she has more merit to get in over the other competition.

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
My point is one should still keep expectations low. Again everyone was so sure of King K. Rool making it into Sm4sh and look how that turned out. The same could happen here and honestly...I'm just feeling it. Sadly I don't see Crash getting in and we're more likely to get characters that we won't expect or were being slept on. If any big character I feel has a chance it's more around the lines of someone like Dante and Chun-Li, arguably Ryu Hayabusa as well.
I get that it's a good idea to keep expectation low, trust me I've been burnt before multiple times. But Crash is one of those exceptions where I'm very confident in him. Plus K. Rool and Crash are in very different situations. I get your point, but I don't think using K. Rool is a good example as again Nintendo wasn't using him at the time of Smash 4 and he just had fan demand for the most part. Meanwhile, Crash got a successful revival with two games before the second pass was even announced. Again he is not a lock or anything and I will take the L if he doesn't make it in. But I think you are unfairly comparing Crash to another character who had different circumstances.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Apparently, the main Pic-of-the-Day post is talking about how Feb. 2nd is Setsubun(in Japan, it's February 2nd), which is a festival about using roasted soybeans to drive out the oni or evil spirits. Sakurai's post asks if the post bothered to make the demon head platform from Air Man's stage of Megaman 2. Specifically, this.
An artist I follow made a pretty good point, I don't know why they made Air man the focus of a "OMG this Robot Master is so hard" song when Quick Man was right there.
1612230101237.png

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
If the series is perfectly healthy and the team wants to innovate, that seems rooted in sincerity much more than necessity.
Sorry, I should make a caveat to this. When a Nintendo series is perfectly healthy and the team wants to innovate, that seems more rooted in sincerity than necessity. Because other companies can and do force their series to chase trends even when they really don't need to. Remember when almost every Japanese company tried to make their games dark, gritty, shooty-shooty and smeared in the overwhelmingly brown colour palette of the seventh gen so as to endear themselves to the bros overseas? Yuck.

But that's, thankfully, not Nintendo's MO. Often for better, sometimes for worse.

Ivander

Smash Legend
Yeah I mostly asked because I know the Kirin armor set is also pretty recognizable, especially for the girl hunter. Ideally they'd have different armor sets instead of just different color variations for the Rathalos armor, imo.
Ideally, it would be fitting for different armor sets, considering it's Monster Hunter and whatnot. But whether or not it happens if Monster Hunter gets in is another story.
And yeah, the female Kirin armor is heavily recognisable, but it also suffers from the case of the upskirt and thigh exposure(the male armor does too, surprisingly), which is an issue with CERO. And most of the Kirin armor designs that don't have an upskirt problem look heavily different from the most famous look.
An artist I follow made a pretty good point, I don't know why they made Air man the focus of a "OMG this Robot Master is so hard" song when Quick Man was right there.
View attachment 301524
Isn't Quick Man's counter a literal time-stop weapon? I mean, this video pretty much sums it up.
Man, I wish to find the more high quality version from Nico Douga at some point, as well the Final Fantasy 5 Rhythm Heaven video.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Sakurai's Tweet Translated: Did you bother to make the demon scaffolding for this Airman stage? Up to the physical fitness gauge with a ladder!

The tweet he's quoting translated: [Today's piece] February 2nd is Setsubun Day. The demon is outside and the fortune is inside. #Smash Bros. SP #Smash Bros. #Setsubun

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I get that it's a good idea to keep expectation low, trust me I've been burnt before multiple times. But Crash is one of those exceptions where I'm very confident in him. Plus K. Rool and Crash are in very different situations. I get your point, but I don't think using K. Rool is a good example as again Nintendo wasn't using him at the time of Smash 4 and he just had fan demand for the most part. Meanwhile, Crash got a successful revival with two games before the second pass was even announced. Again he is not a lock or anything and I will take the L if he doesn't make it in. But I think you are unfairly comparing Crash to another character who had different circumstances.
That demand only really surged and started kicking after the release of the N. Sane Trilogy which was 2017 not to say he wasn't heavily requested before but probably nowhere to the likes of Banjo, King K. Rool, and Ridley especially being they've been demanded for longer Banjo and Ridley for two decades and King K. Rool at least one. Smash Ultimate had been in development since 2015.

You may point out to Steve being negotiated for 5 years but this had mostly to due to Nintendo's and Microsoft's close relationship.

Because of this I kinda also feel its too late for him and he has a better shot for Smash 6.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom