• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I mean, wasn’t Sephiroth revealed on the anniversary of the FF series?
Even if characters are times with anniversaries, there's still a %$#@ton of games with anniversaries in February. We'll basically be in the dark unless someone has a comprehensive list of games with February anniversaries, and chances are we'll just use it to keep talking about characters we already talk about.

ZelDan

Smash Master
As a more casual Pokemon player, SwSh to me was basically like any other Pokemon game I played, but with a tacked on open world area with ****ty textures/graphics.

At the very least SwSh continued not having HM bull**** to deal with, and I did love its take on gyms, the elite 4/champion and how they made it all more sporty. Also the game has a damn good soundtrack.

Overall it was okay. Not "bad" but nothing really special impressive.

ahemtoday

Smash Ace
It might not matter to most people, but there is a distinction, and it matters to me. I didn’t really know that about the Sonic universe...tbh I sort of envisioned sonic and co living in their world that didn’t have any humans except Eggman.
Yeah, humans have been a thing since... well, there's Eggman, so they've been a thing since the very beginning. But they actually show up regularly in Adventure 1, Adventure 2, Shadow the Hedgehog, '06, and Unleashed. That's a pretty sizable chunk of the series, and some of their roles are pretty major besides that.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
I fully confess this is a major generalization, but to a lot of fans in the West, the anthropomorphic animal in a romance with a human just looks aesthetically weird. I don't think its a coincidence that was Sega of Japan and not the American branch that had the idea of Madonna as Sonic's girlfriend or that the originally Japanese OVA had a very human looking catgirl as a prominent character, something none of the US shows ever tried.

Jessica Rabbit is brought up, but much of her relationship with Roger in the film is largely played for laughs. The entire joke is that a sensuous human knockout like Jessica is with a wacky, very cartoonish rabbit like Roger. It has some heart yes, however its not really intended to be a serious pairing to get deeply invested in.

That's on top of for many Sonic fans, there's a general reverence for Western canon that has them either un-enthused or apathetic to non Eggman humans in the franchise to begin with.

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Running from the cops in Stardust Speedway.
I fully confess this is a major generalization, but to a lot of fans in the West, the anthropomorphic animal in a romance with a human just looks aesthetically weird. I don't think its a coincidence that was Sega of Japan and not the American branch that had the idea of Madonna as Sonic's girlfriend or that the originally Japanese OVA had a very human looking catgirl as a prominent character, something none of the US shows ever tried.

Jessica Rabbit is brought up, but much of her relationship with Roger in the film is largely played for laughs. The entire joke is that a sensuous human knockout like Jessica is with a wacky, very cartoonish rabbit like Roger. It has some heart yes, however its not really intended to be a serious pairing to get deeply invested in.
Don't take me the wrong way, I brought up Jessica and Roger Rabbit because I wanted to say that as an example to show that there are more human and animal couples out there.

Still, I would not take Sonic and Elise having a relationship as going as far as being sexual, like Brian and that one human in Family Guy,

D

Deleted member

I still love how the anniversary argument never dies no matter how many times we get a reveal that doesn't time with an anniversary.
In my opinion it's pretty pointless. I doubt Sakurai would go out of his way to tie a reveal togheter with an event that straight up gives it away, especially when you have to deal with numerous other fighters and demands and other things. Stuff like Steve being revealed next to minecon is just happy coincidence.

Pillow

Smash Lord
Yeah, humans have been a thing since... well, there's Eggman, so they've been a thing since the very beginning. But they actually show up regularly in Adventure 1, Adventure 2, Shadow the Hedgehog, '06, and Unleashed. That's a pretty sizable chunk of the series, and some of their roles are pretty major besides that.
Hm that’s a far point. In that case, I really just find the Sonic universe to be nonsensical and generally unappealing.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Sonic's setting does get really confusing. Like is it an alien planet like the 2020 film had shown or is it like some dimension connected to earth given human characters like Eggman and Maria?

Guess it depends on the version...

Last edited:

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
In my opinion it's pretty pointless. I doubt Sakurai would go out of his way to tie a reveal togheter with an event that straight up gives it away, especially when you have to deal with numerous other fighters and demands and other things. Stuff like Steve being revealed next to minecon is just happy coincidence.
Pretty much this. Where would the surprise be if everything lined up with anniversaries?

Plus, across the past two games, the only newcomer reveal that lined up with an anniversary was Little Mac, and even then, given that he was in a regular Direct with no Punch-Out news whatsoever rather than his own self-contained thing, that one time might have been a coincidence.

So I'm baffled to see that the argument never dies when it never had any credibility to begin with.

Last edited:

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Sonic's setting does get really confusing. Like is it an alien planet like the 2020 film had shown or is it like some dimension connected to earth given human characters like Eggman and Maria?

Guess it depends on the version...
I don't think SEGA really cares at this point.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Don't take me the wrong way, I brought up Jessica and Roger Rabbit because I wanted to say that as an example to show that there are more human and animal couples out there.
The key difference is tone. Its one thing to laugh at the obvious visual mismatch of a cartoon rabbit and human looking knockout; its another to look at the Final Fantasy looking Elise and anthropomorphic Sonic and be deeply invested in it.

Honestly between her and the misfire that was Chris Thorndyke, I think the bigger problem with human characters in Sonic (outside Tom in the live action movie oddly enough) is that they're just poorly conceived.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
The key difference is tone. Its one thing to laugh at the obvious visual mismatch of a cartoon rabbit and human looking knockout; its another to look at the Square Enix resembling Elise and anthropomorphic Sonic and be deeply invested in it.

Honestly between her and the misfire that was Chris Thorndyke, I think the bigger problem with human characters in Sonic (outside Tom in the live action movie oddly enough) is that they're just poorly conceived.
You bring up Chris and I remember everyone who cares too much about Sonic all agreeing that the girl in the wheelchair was more interesting and should have been the audience surrogate character, not to mention nobody hates the almighty Professor Pickle

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
What, because it has anthro characters and humans simultaneously? Is it really that much of a dealbreaker?
Plus, story aside, if that is what we are talking about in terms of nonsensical, isn't literally any cartoonish series of any kind able to be possibly classified as nonsensical?

The key difference is tone. Its one thing to laugh at the obvious visual mismatch of a cartoon rabbit and human looking knockout; its another to look at the Final Fantasy looking Elise and anthropomorphic Sonic and be deeply invested in it.

Yeah, but what did that have to do with what I said about the Roger Rabbit case being one example of many other possible such relationships?

Plus, in terms of the second part about humans in Sonic games, I liked Professor Pickle from Sonic Unleashed. He was good, in my eyes.

Pillow

Smash Lord
What, because it has anthro characters and humans simultaneously? Is it really that much of a dealbreaker?
No, but it is in part because it has that and doesn’t really bother to explain any of it. I know you could say the same for, say, Mario but Mario games don’t take themselves nearly as seriously as the sonic games do. It’s a matter of personal taste, I’m not trying to attack anyone.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Plus, if I remember correctly, Elise was the one who took the love seriously. Sonic did not seem to notice or be into it that much.
I'd have to play the game for full context, but that probably makes it worse.

I meant for future works, not so much for SwSh. Sure they had the 3D model from the 3ds games but many people have noted they sort of look like **** on the switch anyway, mostly because of how flat their animations are.
I was talking about future works as well. Going back to spritework for anything means they wouldn't have any assets to go off of unless they borrowed them from a 9 year old game, which means they'd have to do roughly 4 generations worth of work on top of doing a bunch of new moves, finding new ways to appeal without having the 3D models enhancing your connection to the Pokémon, doing the rest of the world, etc. I don't think it would be less work than just keeping the 3D look. They do know how to make it look good, they just need the time to actually do that.

I'd say that extends to the Pokémon themselves as well. The models look fine for the most part (poor Torkoal's smoke cloud is in a different artstyle), but they really needed separate battle and idle animations so that the amazing animations of Pokémon Black 2 and Pokémon White 2 could have been done.

So I'm baffled to see that the argument never dies when it never had any credibility to begin with.
Because it does in the sense that it's always a possibility.

No, but it is in part because it has that and doesn’t really bother to explain any of it.
iirc it does, but it only does so in the manuals of the older games, and the comics.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
That's true, but then there are people who think it's the only realistic spot a character can be revealed.

As an example, I could see Spikester completely ignore KOS-MOS if she'd not revealed in February since he's always riding speculation trends, which includes the hyperfocus on anniversaries (no offense, Spikester).

Last edited:

ahemtoday

Smash Ace
No, but it is in part because it has that and doesn’t really bother to explain any of it. I know you could say the same for, say, Mario but Mario games don’t take themselves nearly as seriously as the sonic games do. It’s a matter of personal taste, I’m not trying to attack anyone.
Does it... need explaining? There's humans, and anthro animals, and this is a world where they both exist. I'm not sure what needs explaining. It's not like we need an explanation of why exactly Gorons exist in the Zelda series, or why Pokemon exist. They just do.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Yeah, but what did that have to do with what I said about the Roger Rabbit case being one example of many other possible such relationships?
Because its explaining why one was better received and got much less flack by its audience than the other. That one example exists (and works well) does not automatically mean other ones are as good as that one or will be accepted as easily, especially when there is such a contrast in how they were executed. For example, the idea that the PS4 Marvel Avengers title is a live service game that does not work is not invalidated by the fact that Destiny is a live service game that does.

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Because its explaining why one was better received and got much less flack by its audience than the other. That one example exists (and works well) does not automatically mean other ones are as good as that one or will be accepted as easily, especially when there is such a contrast in how they were executed. For example, the idea that the PS4 Marvel Avengers title is a live service game that does not work is not invalidated by the fact that Destiny is a live service game that does.
To be fair, I did not say anything about any of those relationships, the Sonic one, the Roger Rabbit one, or any other one, were better than one another or getting more or less flack than another. Regardless of which was executed better, they are still there. That is my point to begin with.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I will say that Pokémon could use a stronger artstyle though. Imagine if they went full ArcSystem Works and made it look like the anime or official artwork.

Why? Don't get me wrong, that does make sense, but I don't know why.
'Cuz then it's not concentual.

That's true, but then there are people who think it's the only realistic spot a character can be revealed.
That I would disagree with.

It's not like we need an explanation of why exactly Gorons exist in the Zelda series, or why Pokemon exist. They just do.
It has to do with the setting. Hyrule has a ton of fantastical creatures, so Gorons aren't really out of place, and Pokémon are essentially stand-ins for animals, so they make sense as well. Conversely Mobius is basically modern day Earth with cartoon animals running around at the speed of sound. It's understandable for someone to find that pretty weird without context.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
What was that again? Completely forgot.
The one about how a Tales rep would have their reveal and/or Sakurai Presents timed to be before the Tales anniversary livestream, like with Steve and MineCon. The problem is that it keeps getting associated with the anniversary itself rather than the livestream, and I sorta feel responsible for pushing the anniversary-based reveal theories.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I will say that Pokémon could use a stronger artstyle though. Imagine if they went full ArcSystem Works and made it look like the anime or official artwork.

'Cuz then it's not concentual.

That I would disagree with.

It has to do with the setting. Hyrule has a ton of fantastical creatures, so Gorons aren't really out of place, and Pokémon are essentially stand-ins for animals, so they make sense as well. Conversely Mobius is basically modern day Earth with cartoon animals running around at the speed of sound. It's understandable for someone to find that pretty weird without context.
Consensual, you mean? I think I see what you mean. Given how serious the romance was supposed to be, I can see how Sonic possibly not making it consensual makes it worse.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
I think that the problem with human is Sonic's world is more the art style and general design problem, which lead to something that doesn't look cohesive. Eggman always make sense because he's humanoid, but his general body shape isn't actually realistic. It doesn't really work with Princess Elise because she looks like an actual human, there's nothing surrealist about her design, which contrast to the Sonic world too much. This can also be applied to both characters personnality. Eggman is evil, narcisstic, arrogant, intelligent but immature. He's not suppose to be relatable, because all those traits are exagerated too. Elise is sweet, kind-hearted, anxious. These are more relatable traits, and they're never extremely exagerated. While making a character relatable is positive in other game or other context, it doesn't really work to have a normal human in a world where everything else is surreal.

Pillow

Smash Lord
I'd have to play the game for full context, but that probably makes it worse.

I was talking about future works as well. Going back to spritework for anything means they wouldn't have any assets to go off of unless they borrowed them from a 9 year old game, which means they'd have to do roughly 4 generations worth of work on top of doing a bunch of new moves, finding new ways to appeal without having the 3D models enhancing your connection to the Pokémon, doing the rest of the world, etc. I don't think it would be less work than just keeping the 3D look. They do know how to make it look good, they just need the time to actually do that.

I'd say that extends to the Pokémon themselves as well. The models look fine for the most part (poor Torkoal's smoke cloud is in a different artstyle), but they really needed separate battle and idle animations so that the amazing animations of Pokémon Black 2 and Pokémon White 2 could have been done.

iirc it does, but it only does so in the manuals of the older games, and the comics.
I see your point, but I think that sprite work is still much easier to accomplish, especially given gamefreaks history. Every 3D game they’ve released, except the remakes, to me have felt distinctly incomplete. Not bad or anything, just incomplete. I think it’s reasonable to believe they have some issues adapting to newer hardware. Sure they may get there eventually, but their process is so slow.

Does it... need explaining? There's humans, and anthro animals, and this is a world where they both exist. I'm not sure what needs explaining. It's not like we need an explanation of why exactly Gorons exist in the Zelda series, or why Pokemon exist. They just do.
zelda isn’t really a good example. It’s a distinct fantasy setting with each race having their own culture and history. Sonic guys and humans coexisting isn’t a problem in and of itself, but like others have mentioned the tone feels really off to me. It’s not like Mario which feels distinctly cartoonish, the 3D sonic games kinda feel in between cartoony and realistic which really throws me off.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Welp, that's disappointing.

Anyway, did we ever get that POTD?
Yes, it was just a bit late

anyway, F in the chat for Bayo 3. There’s been rumored that MP4 is in development hell AGAIN so F for that too

D

Deleted member

Bayo 3 never
I've never really cared for the series (don't hate it; don't love it; just feel neutral) but that stinks. I wonder what happened. Were people pulled off other projects to help pick up the COVID slack? Was the game too niche a series and higher-ups demanded it be placed on the back burner? Or is she just too thicc for Nintendo?

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Well, if we wanna talk about rumors:

Place your bets, everyone. Who's gonna suddenly become a Microsoft rep?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom