• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
I thought Imran was saying Byleth was intended for base.

I can buy Byleth maybe had some ideas from another weapon master user...

But Byleth being planned for base makes no sense.
No, he did say that.

Byleth has a decent bit of the moveset of a character that didn't make it due to negotiations falling through, but Byleth was supposed to be in the main roster and were moved to DLC well before the game came out, they weren't a late replacement
It sounds like what happened was that both the weaponmaster character and Byleth were planned at the same time, the former character's negotiations fell through and then got cut, Byleth absorbed their concept during development, then moved to DLC for one reason or another.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
Eh, I just don't see it. Byleth is so specific to FE's weapon triangle and FE3H. Nothing about the character feels like it could be mapped on from another character. Even the way Byleth's Up-B and Nair works are really specific to how the Sword of the Creator is depicted in FE3H, for example.
Again, I think you're missing the picture.

It's not a "Byleth is 1:1 copied from a Monster Hunter idea". It's a "We had an idea for a character that would use multiple weapons in their kit. We scrapped that idea, but then returned to it with Byleth and their weapons."

For all we know, the Hunter could have pulled out like, every ****ing weapon you can use for different moves.

I got no leg in this race, but this seems like an easy to grasp concept.

I.D.

Smash Lord
Why not? This isn't a malicious question or anything, I really wanna know why people think it's so impossible.
We know Nintendo already does this "spot reserved for future character" thing since they've already done it with Pokemon in Smash 4 (Greninja).
We know Nintendo had been giving Sakurai early builds of 3H to play in preparation to implement a character from the game.
We know 3H was intended to release in 2018, the same year as Smash Ultimate. It's no different at all than 3H releasing the same year of the first fighters pass, and since Nintendo's reasoning for Byleth was "a character from a game people were playing" it just makes sense that if 3H had never been delayed then Byleth would be in the base game.

Last edited:

TheTuninator

Smash Champion

It's not a "Byleth is 1:1 copied from a Monster Hunter idea". It's a "We had an idea for a character that would use multiple weapons in their kit. We scrapped that idea, but then returned to it with Byleth and their weapons."

For all we know, the Hunter could have pulled out like, every ****ing weapon you can use for different moves.

I understand it perfectly well. I just don't really agree with it. With the way Smash representation works in the modern era, trying to make characters as flavorful to their games as possible, I don't see the Smash team trying to reuse character archetypes across series, you know? It very much so seems like the approach to each character is to first figure out which characters are in, and then to decide how to represent them in as flavorful a manner as possible. Given this, why would they be looking to reuse broad concepts?

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Eh, I just don't see it. Byleth is so specific to FE's weapon triangle and FE3H. Nothing about the character feels like it could be mapped on from another character. Even the way Byleth's Up-B and Nair works is really specific to how the Sword of the Creator is depicted in FE3H, for example.
I think it could make sense if the thought process was something like:

"Monster Hunter? OK, let's give them a buncha weapons from throughout the series."
"No Monster Hunter? OK never mind."

"Byleth huh? And he's got a sword? There are quite a lot of swordfighters already...Oh he can use all weapon classes? And there are special weapons in swords, axes, and lances? Ooh let's give him those!"

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Ultimate released December 7th, 2018.
Three Houses released July 26, 2019... but was planned for release in 2018.

Melee released November 21, 2001.
The Binding Blade released March 29, 2002... but was planned to release before Melee.

He saw another Roy situation impending with delays and just pushed Byleth back to DLC since that's a thing that can be done now. What doesn't make sense?

SharkLord

Smash Hero

The Binding Blade released March 29, 2002... but was planned to release before Melee.

He saw another Roy situation impending with delays and just pushed Byleth back to DLC since that's a thing that can be done now. What doesn't make sense?
The main differences is that A: SSBU's base roster was finalized three years before Three Houses' original release date, and B: Byleth wasn't a low-effort moveset clone who could be slapped together really quickly.

Shroob

Sup?
I understand it perfectly well. I just don't really agree with it. With the way Smash representation works in the modern era, trying to make characters as flavorful to their games as possible, I don't see the Smash team trying to reuse character archetypes across series, you know? It very much so seems like the approach to each character is to first figure out which characters are in, and then to decide how to represent them in as flavorful a manner as possible. Given this, why would they be looking to reuse broad concepts?
Well does Byleth even use the Regalia in their game, or do the House leaders? And even if Byleth does, is Byleth famous for using those, or their Sword of the Creator? Yes, Byleth symbolizes the weapon triangle.... kinda. Except bows are thrown in too? Which is not part of the standard weapon Triangle? Byleth is frankly a weapon square, not triangle.

It's really not that difficult a concept.

Monster Hunter has what? 10 or so weapon types? The character would obviously pull from multiple to represent the series.

Except that deal fell through.

But as luck would have it, Byleth uses a sword, and the three House leaders all have different weapons. Let's incorporate that into Byleth to better represent 3 Houses as a whole.

Honestly, it's both taking an old concept and repurposing it, and also being a lucky as hell coincidence.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392

Because that would imply Byleth was chosen during Fates' development cycle.

And Three Houses wasn't even the FE team's next game. That was Echoes.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend

Roy was added late in development, and heavily uses Marth's assets. Byleth only uses a concept, and was planned from the very start. Regardless of the truth of the claim, the situations are quite different.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
Well does Byleth even use the Regalia in their game, or do the House leaders? And even if Byleth does, is Byleth famous for using those, or their Sword of the Creator? Yes, Byleth symbolizes the weapon triangle.... kinda. Except bows are thrown in too? Which is not part of the standard weapon Triangle? Byleth is frankly a weapon square, not triangle.

It's really not that difficult a concept.

Monster Hunter has what? 10 or so weapon types? The character would obviously pull from multiple to represent the series.

Except that deal fell through.

But as luck would have it, Byleth uses a sword, and the three House leaders all have different weapons. Let's incorporate that into Byleth to better represent 3 Houses as a whole.

Honestly, it's both taking an old concept and repurposing it, and also being a lucky as hell coincidence.
Please stop saying "it's not that difficult a concept". I understand it, I just don't agree with it.

This also isn't an intellectually consistent position. If Byleth was planned so far in advance that they were confidently going to be part of the base game, why would they have been concepted after Monster Hunter in such a way as to encourage reusing concepts from Monster Hunter when Monster Hunter wasn't even a lock, while Byleth, being first party, was? It just doesn't make sense.

Shroob

Sup?
Please stop saying "it's not that difficult a concept". I understand it, I just don't agree with it.

This also isn't an intellectually consistent position. If Byleth was planned so far in advance that they were confidently going to be part of the base game, why would they have been concepted after Monster Hunter in such a way as to encourage reusing concepts from Monster Hunter when Monster Hunter wasn't even a lock, while Byleth, being first party, was? It just doesn't make sense.
Like I said, I got no leg in this debate, I just thought it was silly that soo many people(Not you in particular), were confusing the idea between "Weaponmaster concept" and, "Byleth literally absorbed the MH moves."

:drshrug:

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)

Imma say it again:
If anything, the only FE characters I could realistaclly see being planned for base Ultimate are:
  • Corrin or Azura due to recency at the time (assuming the former wasn't DLC in Smash 4)
  • Alm or Celica, since
    • Echoes' development started in 2015, shortly after Fates released in Japan
    • Alm and Celica are both Famicom characters at heart, since Echoes is a remake of 1992's Fire Emblem Gaiden

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Can we just like

Have a thread dedicated to quarantining Byleth arguments

I want to enjoy fresh new discussions that haven't been done to death

Please

Commit Divine Pulse on the thread and go back to the Dropped Deals

We've milked Byleth for all they're worth and then some

Let them rest already

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
The main differences is that A: SSBU's base roster was finalized three years before Three Houses' original release date, and B: Byleth wasn't a low-effort moveset clone who could be slapped together really quickly.
Incineroar is also not a low effort clone, who's game came out a year after the project plan for Ultimate was finalized.

We're not saying Byleth was planned for base game, but "new Fire Emblem character."

Shroob

Sup?
Can we just like

Have a thread dedicated to quarantining Byleth arguments

I want to enjoy fresh new discussions that haven't been done to death

Please

Commit Divine Pulse on the thread and go back to the Dropped Deals

We've milked Byleth for all they're worth and then some

Let them rest already
It's too late. Imran's words have wormed its way in here.

And now with the Chun Leak being the only thing people are talking about since it's the only "Somewhat believable" leak atm...

Won't the wait until March be fun?

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Again, how does a man say, this could all be bull**** when he's said more confident things in the past and people are still bringing up "Imran" has a reputation? He's literally building in plausible deniability to a statement and he's pointed to the fact some of his Smash discussion is just speculation like other people. His word isn't some final all powerful idea and he himself isn't even like entirely convinced of the information, especially when less reputable people with much worse to literally non existent records have tried to pitch this idea before of Byleth being a base game character. Even if Imran is generally more reputable than you average joe claiming to be an insider or "knows people who say things" or whatever, it's not like he can't be led astray or have less reliable sources or whatever mind you.

Byleth does not make any sense for base game. Like none whatsoever. BOTW and Super Mario Odyssey were two of the biggest games of Nintendo's entire history and they barely got content with XC2, ARMS, and Splatoon 2 almost entirely overlooked in Smash Ultimate. That's just 2017 content, let alone late 2018 content like what Three Houses would have been to begin with. The furthest we've ever had Nintendo and Sakurai plan a character is a year after the initial project plan and it was twice, for Pokemon starters with early concepts and character ideas that can operate independently of an entire game. Not for a game and series like Fire Emblem that requires significantly more context for any character, and certainly not 3 full years before that character's game was slated to even be released. Corrin was started around the time Fates released sure, but DLC is an entirely different beast to a multi year project plan of Ultimate's caliber that was already hard pressed for development time it seems.

I honestly think if this was any other character than the Fire Emblem character that people associate with Nintendo "shilling in favor of XYZ character", this wouldn't be getting half the traction it is. A beta version of this game with an understanding of the character wouldn't even exist until like early 2018 at the earliest.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
It's too late. Imran's words have wormed its way in here.

And now with the Chun Leak being the only thing people are talking about since it's the only "Somewhat believable" leak atm...

Won't the wait until March be fun?
Don't know about you, but it doesn't look like we're talking about it anymore. Just looks like Byleth again. Same old, same old...

spicynun

Smash Journeyman

Only thing I can think of is that Byleth was originally going to just have a standard FE sword user moveset until MH was scrapped and they implemented some concepts to Byleth instead to make them more unique rather than just using the standard sword moves. This change might have been the reason why they became DLC instead of base. I don't know though, I still don't fully believe this but just trying to think of an explanation.

7NATOR

Smash Master
If Sakurai knew There be new Fire Emblem game on Switch, then I could see spot being saved for the main character of that game

Like with Pokemon, where even though a Slot was reserved, the actual Pokemon wasn't decided in at first till later.

as for Byleth taking concepts from Monster hunter, It's possible if Monster Hunter was still in the game as playable, Than Byleth would have taken a different Concept, like maybe more focus on Whipsword, the more tactical nature of Fire Emblem, something like that

Fire Emblem gets special treatment like Pokemon, Compared to Xenoblade and ARMS. ARMS is a new I.P, and it's possible Nintendo felt Xenoblade wasn't a Sure thing like Fire Emblem. After all, Elma would have been perfect character for Smash 4 DLC in Same vain as Corrin, but they went with Corrin instead

Of course, this is me just trying to make sense of something that might not make sense on the surface, and this doesn't mean that this Info was what happened, and could be fake

dream1ng

Smash Lord

A Roy situation is padding the roster with clones towards the end of development. Melee's development was 13 months, which means Roy was derived from an existing moveset sometime in 2001. His game came out early 2002. In 2001, his game would have the necessary assets for use (and even then Melee Roy doesn't reflect the design of finalized Roy), and Smash was in a stage where the original newcomers were already all added.

This situation is incomparable to adding an original newcomer four (or three) years before their game comes out. It is flawed to compare the two releases - you have to compare the date of the roster being created with the dates of the characters being put on the roster. Sakurai doesn't get to utilize content from as it is on December 7th, 2018, his perspective comes from the landscape of 2015, when the choices were being made.

In 2015, 3H probably just began pre-production. Even XC2 was too early in development to be included.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
When did Three Houses start development?
Well, given a normal development time is 3-5 years, probably also 2015. It would also make sense since the game uses Fire Emblem Warriors's graphical engine, and that game would have been 1-3 year(s) in development by that po-
2017, after Echoes.
Wait. The heck?!? How on Earth did they think they could get a game that large finished in a single year?

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
Then its actually impossible.
I mean, that doesn't make sense in general.

I don't care who they are, but I don't think it's realistic to expect to pump out a game in a single year for a console that you've never developed on before. 2017 sounds too LATE actually, because anyone with a brain can see "Huh, maybe 1 year dev time isn't enough..."

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I mean, that doesn't make sense in general.

I don't care who they are, but I don't think it's realistic to expect to pump out a game in a single year for a console that you've never developed on before. 2017 sounds too LATE actually, because anyone with a brain can see "Huh, maybe 1 year dev time isn't enough..."
Well. That short development time would explain a delay that lasted a year.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
You're telling me Sakurai can
  • bring back every character including Snake and Cloud
  • negotiate with Microsoft for Minecraft and end up with Banjo-Kazooie as a side dish
  • get Enix to lift their "DQ Heroes do not fight amongst themselves" schtick for Smash
  • get Square to lend them Sephiroth at a price that doesn't bankrupt the whole DLC while also updating Cloud as part of a free update
  • get insider looks at all the games he needs to the point that we first found out about Luigi's Mansion 3 abilities from a Smash trailer or Joker's grappling hook from Royal when it was only a menu element in base P5
  • get Indie Darlings added as supporting content and even meet with their creators if convenient
But CAN'T get the Monster Hunter people to let him use the Hunter as a character? Seriously? That's where we draw the line? And of course, this whole thing also ties in to another Fire Emblem character being added because what kind of conspiracy theory would it be without Fire Emblem at the center.

**** this entire theory

Shroob

Sup?
Well. That short development time would explain a delay that lasted a year.
Still, that just doesn't add up. They started development in 2017 with a 2018 release date? If they actually did that, then there's something wrong with Intelligent Systems.

Notices FEH

Oh right

BlueMonk

Smash Champion

Ok, that's something I could see a bit more but considering this concept usually comes from people upset about byleth, and that imran started his post saying it could all be wrong, I've got some heavy doubts. Just seems very suspicious to me, it's such a vague claim.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom