• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
...Do I want to know?
People were desprate for Brave to be someone who wasn't Erdrick. In some country, Banjos are considered a brave instrument. People who didn't want Erdrick but did want Banjo clung to that theory.

you know, i wonder why the erdrick/banjo wars happened. they couldn't be more different from eachother, getting one really wouldn't affect the other. and look at what happened.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
...Do I want to know?
Back when we knew of Jack and Brave there were lots of suggestions as to who.
Some suggested DQ Hero because that’s a translation of their name.
Banjo was suggested because in certain folklore, Banjos are considered a instrument of Brave people.
And yet some suggested Merida from Pixar’s Brave because why not?

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
...Do I want to know?
Around the time when Joker came out in Smash Ultimate (or maybe it was earlier - I'm not clear on the timeline), people found the codename "brave" in the files. (each DLC character has a codename, like Steve being "pickel" or Terry being "dolly" - they've been much more careful about leaving them in ever since Hero was leaked thanks to those codenames, so we don't find out what the codenames are until after the character comes out)

People almost immediately figured out that it was referring to a Dragon Quest hero (the default hero class is known as "yuusha", which means "brave" in Japanese from what I've been told), but some people tried to claim that it tied into Banjo, Agumon, or pretty much any fictional hero (bravery's a pretty common attribute) instead.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
People were desprate for Brave to be someone who wasn't Erdrick. In some country, Banjos are considered a brave instrument. People who didn't want Erdrick but did want Banjo clung to that theory.

you know, i wonder why the erdrick/banjo wars happened. they couldn't be more different from eachother, getting one really wouldn't affect the other. and look at what happened.
That... Simultaneously makes more sense than what I expected and yet is still as ludicrous as I expected

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Why is Rex usually associated with Pyra in smash wishlists? I don't know **** about XC2, so i presume they work as one character in the game?
She's his sword. His sword is a big-****y waifu.

Kiryu confirmed.
Serious question: If Kiryu got in, would he have a couple shirtless alts, like, Sephiroth? Or would ripping off his shirt be part of his FS?

The Chad Mii Main stands supreme.
SmashBrosUltimate/comments/kztz0f
I wish that were true. But as a Brawler main, I can tell you, we don't get any of the cool characters.

Last edited:

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
Around the time when Joker came out in Smash Ultimate (or maybe it was earlier - I'm not clear on the timeline), people found the codename "brave" in the files. (each DLC character has a codename, like Steve being "pickel" or Terry being "dolly" - they've been much more careful about leaving them in ever since Hero was leaked thanks to those codenames, so we don't find out what the codenames are until after the character comes out)

People almost immediately figured out that it was referring to a Dragon Quest hero (the default hero class is known as "yuusha", which means "brave" in Japanese from what I've been told), but some people tried to claim that it tied into Banjo, Agumon, or pretty much any fictional hero (bravery's a pretty common attribute) instead.
For timeline, it was between the release of the game and plant’s release when the codenames came out.
Ver 2.0 (plant) removed the leaked codenames until Joker and Hero released.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Serious question: If Kiryu got in, would he have a couple shirtless alts, like, Sephiroth? Or would ripping off his shirt be part of his FS?
That's a very good question... I never thought about that. I always assumed he would bring a shirtless alt, like Sephiroth. But I also could see that being exclusive to his Final Smash.

Him only ripping his shirt in his FS would be certainly cool, but he has a few crazy moves in the series they could use as a FS. Climax Heat Actions from Yakuza 5 could work very well, just add some effects and flashy visuals to make it more appropiate for a FS:

(Kiryu's part lasts until 0:49)

I also have another possible FS in mind but it's a bit spoilery.

Returning to the shirtless alt discussion, I must say I'd be disappointed if they decide to not give him a shirtless alt. I think that should be a thing if he gets in. Kiryu has at least one fight (if not more) per game where he fights with his tattoo exposed. So it's not like it's a random thing in the series.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Probably because the amount of work required to animate an additional stance(which is, for all intents and purposes, a completely new moveset) is pretty much another whole character that could have been added to the game instead.
I kinda see it more like making Echo Fighters, since it would be the exact same model doing different moves.

Still more time and resources, but not to the point of being "an entire character" for each stance

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I do wish Terry's codename had been known prior to his release, just for purposes of general chaos.

That is an interesting thought - I wonder what sort of character people would have came up with if we only knew the codename "dolly". (Sackboy? Chibi-Robo, since he's toy-sized? Yarn Poochy? Todd Snap, since "dolly" can refer to a device used to move a camera?)

EDIT: can't believe I didn't think of Geno.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Anyway, since people brought it up earlier:

This one has a Spongebob meme. :)
SmashButterfly.jpg

You would not believe the mileage I've gotten from this pic.

That is an interesting thought - I wonder what sort of character people would have came up with if we only knew the codename "dolly". (Sackboy? Chibi-Robo, since he's toy-sized? Yarn Poochy? Todd Snap, since "dolly" can refer to a device used to move a camera?)
I mean... I think we all know who would've been most speculated about with the codename "dolly".

Don't make me say it.

Invisible Shiny Bulbasaur

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BigUglyMan-Doll
If "dolly" had been leaked, the Smash speculation community at large would have instantly been split between two kinds of people: those who knew without a doubt that dolly could only possibly refer to Geno alone, and those who wanted more than anything for it to be literally anyone other than Geno. And people from both camps would find a way to be utterly crushed and infuriated when it was revealed to be Terry.

And I say that as someone who enjoyed the Terry reveal and his DLC pack in general. And as someone who would also have been pleased with a SMRPG challenger pack.

Last edited:

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
If "dolly" had been leaked, the Smash speculation community at large would have instantly been split between two kinds of people: those who knew without a doubt that dolly could only possibly refer to Geno alone, and those who wanted more than anything for it to be literally anyone other than Geno.
Imagine how 7NATOR would've been if "edge" got leaked.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
You would not believe the mileage I've gotten from this pic.
Trust me. I believe you.

I mean... I think we all know who would've been most speculated about with the codename "dolly".

Don't make me say it.
Yeah, the flame wars surrounding Dolly Parton would have been pretty dumb.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Was edge Sephiroth? I haven't been on here much since the Steve reveal.
Edge was indeed Sephiroth. A reference to Edge City in Advent Children, if I had to guess.

Would make sense with all the content we got from that movie, as well as his trailer.

Last edited:

JustPlainDan

Smash Apprentice
So in seeing that Voice theory is dead and the issue that stems from him being a post-launch spirit, I feel as if the odds of Leon Kennedy getting in aren’t very promising right now. :c

Would have been hyped AF to see him added, but if he doesn’t make it, oh well. If it’s not him, there’s the potential for the other three being exciting additions.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Today I Learned: When wielding the standard Key Blade, Sora hits you with the post, not the bit. All arguments about how sharp the bit is are moot; It literally is a club (or at least is used as one)...I don't know how I feel about that.

After a quick Google search, it does seem that the back of a key (not the serrated part) is sometimes refereed to as a blade, so I guess there is some logic to it, but it doesn't apply to the older key designs, which is what the standard Key Blade uses.

My brain's gonna need a bit to recover from this one...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom