• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Talking crap about Nintendo's awful online service vs emulation is something I like to talk about but in this situation, I don't have anything to add.

Well one thing that isn't going to happen on Nintendo's online service is Goldeneye... with 60fps and Mouse and Keyboard support.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
If anything, the thing that hits me is that Sega is the one increasing the pricing. Because of the Sega VC stuff not selling well....on the frickin' Wii. Like just the thought that the Virtual Console did not do well on a system, that had alot more VC than the next system, that practically everyone had, makes me question how successful the Virtual Console actually was.
I think part of the problem is Sega's selection. They put out about ninety games from Sega systems, between the Master System and Genesis, but why would you buy the Genesis version of Street Fighter II if the SNES version was also available? Who would go out of their way to get Columns or Gain Ground for $8 each? (especially when a lot of those games are available on Steam for about $1 each)

Sure, the Sonic games would sell well, and a few other would do decently (Streets of Rage, Strider, Earthworm Jim... I had a great time with Gunstar Heroes), but the same definitely doesn't seem like it could be said for a bunch of Genesis games. (I'm assuming that Sega would have gotten a cut of any Genesis or Master System games, even if they were third party titles, though I could be wrong about that) That's not saying that they should stop entirely, but it seems like the pricing might have been an issue.

They put a ton of games out there, and for $8 each, not all of them are going to light up the sales charts. (especially since, unlike with Nintendo games, there were plenty of places to get Sega titles digitally at the time - Steam had many of those same games for $1 each, while PS3 and Xbox 360 got most of those games in a collection)

Either way, I'm not paying $100 Canadian a year (though I'd be splitting it with my brother, so $50 each) for Sega Genesis games that are mostly available elsewhere on the Switch (Sega Ages releases, Sega Genesis Collection, Capcom Arcade Collection), or N64 games where roughly half of them are single player. (so there's no benefit to being able to play online)

Last edited:

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Licensing probably plays a part in the pricing, but I figure another large factor is Nintendo's mindset that if you charge beneath a certain threshold for their products, it will be seen as devaluing them, which is why their titles almost never go on discount, and why they struggled so much to adapt to the mobile marketplace before relenting with the gacha business. But even now you can see they've withdrawn from mobile pursuits in the face of their own proprietary hardware's success.

It goes back to their absolute bottom line of retaining value of their IP, which speaks to other practices such as a reluctance to license things out, and domineering control when they do. I understand the logic, but it can only work in certain situations. In others, like this, it just comes off ridiculously out of touch and antiquated.

It's unfortunate, but there's just no way I can get on board paying over double the current price for twenty, thirty-year-old games from five gens ago, many of which I already own. Lest we forget these old games are just supposed to an addendum/incentive to the online service, but the service itself isn't going to, like... get better with the expansion pack.
I think it's a tripartite of the two reasons you mentioned above in conjunction with Nintendo's general views on emulation.

Nintendo is dead convinced the way to beat emulation is to litigate it out of commission. They don't care that emulators have been legal under US common law for the past 20+ years and, therefore, they have no way to go after programs like Project 64 and Dolphin. Likewise, they don't care that ROM-hosting websites can just set up servers in countries like Russia to circumvent US copyright law (aka the reason every other media company has realized lawsuits are not effective at combatting online piracy). As far as Nintendo is concerned, taking a handful of ROM-hosting websites to court and milking the rewarded damages as much as possible to send a message may as well be equivalent to ending emulation altogether.

Of course, everyone here knows that literally every retro Nintendo title is just a Google search away, but somehow Nintendo has managed to bury their head in the sands on this fact. I think if Nintendo perceived emulation as, like it or not, a legitimate competitor providing every piece of software they can and then some, they'd be much more proactive, generous, and quality-focused in how they delivered retro content.

It's easy to justify forcing consumers to pay an extra $30 for Paper Mario in a world where the only other options to play it are to track down a cartridge for the Nintendo 64, a Wii with the virtual console port already installed, or a Wii U. It's much harder to justify forcing consumers to pay an extra $30 for Paper Mario when all you need to play it is a computer, the internet, and two files.

Discoball Fever

Smash Rookie
Someone here just said the $50 pricing was UK and that when brought to US pricing,
You've accidentally read my response in reverse, the price in the USA is $49.99 however in the UK it amounts to £34.99.

In other word, the US price jumped from $19.99 to $49.99
The UK price jumped from £17.99 to £34.99

If the expansion pack was worth £50 single and £80 family like Theguy123 originally said, that would mean that in the USA the price would be over 100 dollars for a family pass, which is incorrect. The mistake made was that he simply replaced the $ with a £ symbol without converting the price down beforehand.

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master
Can't you buy alot of the Genesis games separately on the Eshop already, and keep them forever in your Library without it being tied to the Subscription? I have to wonder why Nintendo would have Sega on board with NSO if their games are already on Switch Eshop and it would cost great deal of money

I would more believe Rare/Microsoft to be the bigger reason for the Upcost, Since the games are not on the Eshop. Banjo's Presentation also had the message of having to buy an Xbox to play Banjo, so I'm sure Rare/Microsoft wanted some money if they finally wanted to put it on Nintendo

in any case I think it's just a Combination of things. getting Sega, Capcom, Konami, Rare/Microsoft on board with the expansion, to make the Libary more diverse and appealing. The Licensing costs and such would add to the cost, but I think if Nintendo really didn't want to charge consumers such a high price, they wouldn't go for the large 3rd party support in the first place.

They know their Old first party offerings is enough of a draw, and the biggest draw. i think Nintendo does want to try and be able to have $50-60 subscription fees like Sony and Microsoft have. PS Plus and Xbox Live make those Companies money, and I think Nintendo wants to further go into that direction

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
Assuming they don't hike the price up another tier, continuing to roll out DLC in this manner might gradually make it... slightly more stomachable?
Like, $50 USD a year for new content in a significant portion of your game collection? I could start to wrap my head around that.
As it stands now though, it's a very flat "hell no" from me.

Is this how we finally get some damn MK8DX DLC?

Last edited:

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
I really wanna know what Nintendo was smoking to make the expansion 50 bucks, cause I’m gonna need some of that to justify buying it.

I get Sega was probably a big reason, but then just put GB and GBA games on the service instead and make it 40$. It’s not like the Genesis games shown haven’t been rereleased yet.

Hell, they could’ve split the thing into different tiers for N64 and Genesis. And I doubt a lot of the people playing Animal Crossing care about the retro games, so thats really not going to sweeten the pot for a lot of people.

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master
Well I guess I'll be the first to suggest it, but

Seeing as how Nintendo Packaged the Animal Crossing DLC within the NSO Expansion, (even if you can get it separately), we could start seeing this for other games. Could the Next Smash Bros. be one of those games?

Assuming the Next Smash is in Planning (which it likely is), and NSO continues on to the next console, I could see Smash DLC being offered at no additional cost (as long as you're subscribed) being a Big Selling point

Like imagine the Next Smash is coming out, and they have it to where Master Chief is DLC for that game, but if you get the $50-60 Premium NSO service, you can download him at no Additional cost, along with the other perks like Online, the Old consoles games, etc

I guess the main hiccup is that Since I Imagine alot of the DLC for the Next Smash game to be 3rd parties, I wonder how the 3rd Party companies would feel, or want to be compensated for their characters potentially being potentially obtained through this method. If Gamepass is any indication (as well as NSO Expansion itself), Nintendo would have to pay either a fee or royalties to any Companies involved, in addition to the Agreements made with selling 3rd Party DLC Characters normally as well. I could see Nintendo seeing worth in it considering how Popular Smash DLC is

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
... considering how Popular Smash DLC is
... is why I think probably not. I realize animal crossing is a very popular title I just don't see smash dlc being tied into anything else really... That is to say there even is dlc next go around which ofc it is likely but not absolute.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
In completely unrelated news, I propose Orbulon as our next WarioWare Smash rep:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
In completely unrelated news, I propose Orbulon as our next WarioWare Smash rep:

Shout out to Starphoenix, wherever he is these days, for being the OG Orbulon supporter here back in 2011.

Ivander

Smash Legend

Can we just have WarioWare in Mario Kart? Seriously, Mario Kart needs to stop shying away from spin-off characters that aren't Wario, Waluigi and Daisy.

Firox

Smash Master
Yeah, that's also a big thing.

For some reason, Greninja just... doesn't have any webbing between its fingers in its shadowed shot, which is, ya know, weird, cause it's a frog.
Yeah, in Greninja's reveal trailer I noticed that there was no webbing on its fingers in that first shadowy clip, but later does. I think they intentionally meant to fake us out with Mewtwo which kind of makes it more jacked up since they already cut the legendary psychic from Brawl.

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
I’m not even paying for regular NSO currently, and the expansion pack certainly isn’t changing my mind on that just yet.

I might get the AC DLC on its own though; I haven’t played Happy Home Designer, so it might be fun to try it out in HD.

Shroob

Sup?
I just don't see the justification for a ****ing 30 dollar price increase tbh.

The online code itself is still going to be trash, so you're paying an additional 30 bucks for N64 and Genesis games.

Yeah, no thanks. I can stomach 20 bucks a year for their already terrible online, 20 bucks a year is frankly nothing, but I don't feel any strong desire to even consider this plan.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719

Even WarioWare itself knows 9-Volt was given an annoying playstyle.

SKX31

Smash Master
But nope, instead, Nintendo seems to be comfortable just offering 4 consoles (all of which have more than a few key titles missing) for 50 mother****ing dollars annually with absolutely no bells or whistles beyond online play and rewind (which NESticle has had since before I was born, IIRC). I get licensing is expensive, but the old adage of "If you're not going to do something right, don't do it at all" seems to ring true here. Nintendo needs to fully commit to building a stronger online service, find some alternative method of releasing legacy content, or accept that they are unable to compete with pirates.
Besides agreeing wholeheartedly, I want to add:

I kinda have to wonder if - and potentially when - they'll be forced to change their approach. It's difficult to say since Nintendo's proven very unwilling to change their ways unless something doesn't work out the way they thought (the Youtube Partner Program comes to mind) and there are a couple factors tugging here: Nintendo's typically fiscally conservative methods have to deal with a growing demand for online improvements and more games added to the service.

Which has potential implications not just for Nintendo currently, but also their next console. Nintendo typically spends most of its R&D budget on the next console and what not. But how much of their budget are they willing to allocate towards the online? Think it'd be nice if NoJ and NoA / NoE were on the same page too - that'd help NSO since NoA has not included some games that NoJ have done IIRC - but NoA has done stuff like promote WWE Battlegrounds only to shift SMT V to the sizzle reel a year later... so yeah.

Now I wouldn't be surprised if this plan sells at least decently, but it is still worth noting since it might become a bigger and bigger issue for them as time goes on.

Last edited:

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
This post on the Social brought up an interesting point, thought I might share here;
I'm honestly betting the expansion will sell poorly and Nintendo will cut the price.

Before you say lol they wouldn't slice the price, that happened with both the 3DS qnd Wii U (and select software as well). The 3DS had a massive comeback because of that.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
You know, what confuses me the most is that even from a money-making perspective, it's hard for me to see Nintendo getting more bucks out of this expansion pass than if they had a decent online service. Something like a Game Pass, but encompassing just their pre-Wii first-party titles.

The normal Online? Yeah, people will likely buy that anyway, even if they don't care about NES or SNES games. This expansion pass? I think only the most hardcore of fans would be willing to put out 50 dollars a year for it. It's like... they go about this in such a way that it legitimately looks like too much effort for too little return, even from their end.

Which is a shame, because some of the library legitimately looks good. But oh well, I guess Nintendo gotta Nintendo.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Nintendo to Sega: wanna sell some games through our online service?

Sega: sure! We want 30 dollars USD for each sale you make. As if these games are only a year old!

Nintendo: uh....
. Hm.... Ok!

Idiots.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Now if it was the Sega Saturn I’d understand the price hike

or even Dreamcast though that might come alongside GameCube. Too soon for that now
Yeah, for N64/Genesis I'll go up 10. For Gamecube as well I'll go up 20. For Saturn and Dreamcast on top of all that previous stuff, then you'll get your $30.

And GBA should be somewhere in there as well. Frankly I think it should be part of the base, but Nintendo really needs all the help incentivizing this price hike as possible.

MarioRaccoon

Smash Ace
If they add GBA and Turbograx-16 emulator, third party GBA/Genesis/N64/Turbograx 16 games and first party DLC games free if you have that premium membership (that the deal right? Didn’t watch AC Direct) … I think its a good price.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
It's remarkable that it feels like both Nintendo and Sega feel overpaid in this scenario. The latter's putting out the same games it has for the last two decades while the former are asking way too much for an online infrastructure that isn't that good and games they should have had for the online service years ago.

50 dollars for the likes of Gamecube titles and actual Saturn emulation would almost be worth it; as is, it's nowhere near what they're asking for.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom