• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I really hope nobody buys the expansion so it sends a message. I know how Nintendo fans can be though...
Nintendo fans will always defend the company like the loyal little soldiers they are. :iwatanod: They've been weaponizing them for every shady act for the past decade.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Honestly if you look at what Sony and Microsoft offer for their online plans, even though it's a little more, it's so resoundingly superior that Nintendo's practical highway robbery over here is just... kind of insulting. It was excusable when it was cheap, but... c'mon.

Nintendo doesn't even have native voice chat. There are still friend codes. Get your fundamentals in order before you start asking for comparable amounts to companies who know how to provide a reasonable online infrastructure. And it's funny because the shiny distraction from their shortcomings isn't even that impressive... it's Genesis and N64 games, most of which have been easily accessible one way or another for years.

At least if they had added the Gamecube, it still would've been overpriced but it would've been a service above and beyond what they've provided before, with many of those games not being easily/cheaply accessible anymore outside emulation.

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
I saw the news earlier and was flabbergasted. A $30 dollar increase just for N64 and Genesis games? I was afraid it was going to be $40 and even that would have been high. But $50 in total? Highway robbery. I was hyped to try out the N64 games but now I don't think I'll get it.

Compared to what Microsoft and Sony offer, this is a joke.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
I mean.
I can just stay with my meme family membership with my friends and pay 3.55 a year with each others...so...I guess?

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I really hope nobody buys the expansion so it sends a message. I know how Nintendo fans can be though...
Part of me is concerned that the message that it sends will be interpreted as "I guess nobody wants older games on the Switch. Better cancel those plans for Gamecube Online!" (or it just leads to them not releasing older games on future consoles, or only doing what they did with Mario 3D All Stars where any retro releases are limited-time availability for no apparent reason)

Still not getting the upgrade, and even considering cancelling my online subscription (I mainly use it to play Smash with my brother when a new character comes out, which won't be the case beyond the next three days - my games are generally single player or local multiplayer focused), but I figure that companies (or higher-ups in companies) can be downright dumb when it comes to something like this.

Last edited:

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
I probably would have been a lot more fine with the price if they at least had Gamecube and GBA (GB, DS, and Wii would be nice as well) tacked on. But that level of price increase for just N64 (and Genesis, which is nice, but at the same time its a 4th Gen system on the same level as the SNES that we already have), kinda asking a little much on the old budget there.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
View attachment 334390

So...I take it we don't like the Expansion Pack?
If they included more systems, at least the rumored Game Boy & Game Boy Color, and maybe swapped out Genesis, which literally has Sega Genesis Classics for just $8, with like the Saturn which doesn’t have fully working emulation yet

then maybe it’d be worth the price

heck like someone said throw in Turbografx-16 while you’re at it

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
I mean, in a perfect world. They'd add Gamecube with Melee in it and Online Multiplayers like others NSO games and FE Path of Radiance and everyone and their mother would think it's worth it because of how absurd getting a working Melee disc is nowadays alongside even more absurd rarity of FE PoR.
(Yeah, I know, Emulation, Slippy, yadda yadda, but I'm talking about base level people. Not just smash fans)

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
For real though Nintendo asking $30 for N64 and Genesis games and temporary DLC is laughable.

If they'd added Gamecube or Wii games? Then I think it'd be worth it.
For $30 I'd probably bite adding that on to the price for the regular service is baffling.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I mean, in a perfect world. They'd add Gamecube with Melee in it and Online Multiplayers like others NSO games and FE Path of Radiance and everyone and their mother would think it's worth it because of how absurd getting a working Melee disc is nowadays alongside even more absurd rarity of FE PoR.
(Yeah, I know, Emulation, Slippy, yadda yadda, but I'm talking about base level people. Not just smash fans)
Just give me F-Zero GX with AX mode accessible out the gate and online and I’ll happily pay $50

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Is that really wrong? Those with half a brain know that emulation is not just for piracy. Those that couldn't piece that together have themselves to blame for getting worked up.

Even with a newly released game, many would want to dump their copies and emulate them, so as to enjoy things like 4K resolution, mods without hacking your console, and what have you.
Considering their history, I don't think Kotaku really cared either way if people knew the difference. They chose Dread to make the article about because it had the most attention at the time and would get views from fans concerned over them talking about the emulation of a series that could use whatever sales it could get, not to satisfy anyone's curiosity.

As for the upgraded membership, I'm just going to stick to the regular one.

HYRULESHERO42

Smash Journeyman
If they continue to add content packs with the $50 service then maybe that could work. Like what they are doing with AC:NH’s happy home paradise thingy. Say you add Splatoon 3 content, BotW2 dlc, eshop games like new Pushmo etc. really wet the whistle with content other than N64 games that I already own and that still work.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
If they continue to add content packs with the $50 service then maybe that could work. Like what they are doing with AC:NH’s happy home paradise thingy. Say you add Splatoon 3 content, BotW2 dlc, eshop games like new Pushmo etc. really wet the whistle with content other than N64 games that I already own and that still work.
Well that assumes I own all those games AND plan on buying their DLC. If I don't then it really is just 30 bucks to advertise base games I don't own for DLC I do have.

And besides, considering this yearly fee doesn't say "... and more DLC for Nintendo games!" I imagine ACNH's new content is all there is to sweeten that deal.

All around not very appealing I must say.

Isaac: Venus Adept

Smash Lord
We have it pretty bad here in Australia with NSO. I have to get the family membership because I get it for my brothers as well. Price literally doubled from around 50 AU a year for the family bundle to over 109. No thank you, I'll stick with the normal package. And I don't even own or care about Animal Crossing on top of that lmao
1634350361240.png

Ivander

Smash Legend
Well if nothing else, for all the cries of Nintendo being out of touch, they certainly knew what they were doing when they didn't announce the price in the Direct.
I wouldn't be surprised if part of it was on us, because lots of us were practically begging for more systems for the NSO. I wouldn't be surprised if they were like, "Look at how many people are asking for more systems for NSO......must be willing to pay alot with how desperate they sound."

Which will make it a flick if any possible plans they have/had for it go down if and when it does not sell as much as they hoped for.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
This! Omfg i would totally play melee online. The way to play online now is just not my thing just wanna boot up the switch and log into Melee Quickplay!

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
A connected heart is my power! Sora will participate in the war next week on October 19th (Tuesday). #SmashBrosSP

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
A connected heart is my power! Sora will participate in the war next week on October 19th (Tuesday). #SmashBrosSP

And when Ultimate finally and truly is complete.

Everything always has to come to an end but as Aang would say it.

"Don't be sad it's over. Be happy it happened."

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Today in 2020, "Mario Kart Live: Home Circuit" will be released !! An epoch-making work that operates a radio-controlled model with a camera and runs a course of AR expression. Since Smash Bros. SP comes first, it is out of the source, but I made a screen like that. Congratulations on winning the Game Designers Grand Prize !! #SmashBrosSP

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer

ZelDan

Smash Master
Yeah, the price tag on the NSO expansion is...much more than I thought it'd be. Yikes.

Like, I have nothing against emulation of old games, but I do generally like to acquire classic games officially whenever possible. By all means something like Nintendo's NSO retro stuff is cool in theory, getting to have NES, SNES, N64, and genesis games to play either in handheld form or docked mode sounds great, and if we want to get very technicaly I suppose, the value of all the combined games between all 4 systems or the potential amount of playtime you could get between them could technically more than justify 50$ (kind of anyways).

The issues I see with the 50$ price tag though are:

1. that pricing puts it much closer to the pricing of competing online services (Xbox Live, Gamepass, PS Plus), services that offer much more than NSO and offer more current, technologically-advanced games for free, which make the 50$ much more difficult to justify. As flawed as NSO was before the expansion stuff, it was atleast 20$ and was substantially cheaper compared to its competition, and even with only the NES and SNES offerings the "combined games between all systems or the potential amount of playtime you could get between them could technically more than justify the price" logic still worked too (again, kind of).

2. The fact that the expansion pass is more expensive than the base subscription, despite the base subscription offering more, seems kinda silly. I'm guessing third parties could be the reason for this, but It's silly regardless.

3. Sort of going off of the last point here, but the amount of systems we got on the NSO doubled, but the price MORE THAN doubled, which seems very off to me, and it's not like the N64 being more advanced than the other systems should really matter when it itself is still a retro, older piece of hardware.

So overall, yeah, I'm not exactly thrilled over the NSO news either. If it was overall only 30-35$ like I thought it'd be, I would have been fine with it (or as fine with paying for online as I could be), but unfortunately Nintendo did go overboard with that 50$ price tag I feel. As of now I don't know if I really feel like upgrading from the standard option. Maybe down the road I will, depending on if I can accrue enough gold points (I've been using Gold points to cover the NSO cost the past few years, covering 50$ will take much more though obviously), if I maybe get some eShop gift card(s) during the holidays, and/or of course depending on how Nintendo handles the N64 and Sega collections or NSO in general over the following months/year, etc.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
3. Sort of going off of the last point here, but the amount of systems we got on the NSO doubled, but the price MORE THAN doubled, which seems very off to me, and it's not like the N64 being more advanced than the other systems should really matter when it itself is still a retro, older piece of hardware.
I'm guessing the price more than doubled due to the DLC being thrown in there.

Frankly.... just don't give us the Animal Crossing DLC so we can get a better price or give us much more DLC so everyone will at least get something.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
On another news, about the KH ports on switch.

Tl;Dr : the production of Native port is undecided for now and will depends on fans feedback.

For a quick timeline fact, last year Nomura said he'd love to have KH games on switch.
Only to have Square-Enix says it's never happening.

A year later, the Cloud edition is announced alongside Sora in smash.
We went from "Never you little ****s" to "they're not currently in production and depends on fan's feedback on the cloud edition".

Aka. I'm now 99% sure they're going to release them soon as part of the 20th anniversary during the year. And the Cloud version was Announced and made because it was easier for the timing, alongside a deal with nintendo who's soon going to push Cloud gaming.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
On another news, about the KH ports on switch.

Tl;Dr : the production of Native port is undecided for now and will depends on fans feedback.

For a quick timeline fact, last year Nomura said he'd love to have KH games on switch.
Only to have Square-Enix says it's never happening.

A year later, the Cloud edition is announced alongside Sora in smash.
We went from "Never you little ****s" to "they're not currently in production and depends on fan's feedback on the cloud edition".

Aka. I'm now 99% sure they're going to release them soon as part of the 20th anniversary during the year. And the Cloud version was Announced and made because it was easier for the timing, alongside a deal with nintendo who's soon going to push Cloud gaming.
Watch the games all be sold seperately at full price like the PC versions instead of that handly dandy all in one bundle
I'm guessing the price more than doubled due to the DLC being thrown in there.

Frankly.... just don't give us the Animal Crossing DLC so we can get a better price or give us much more DLC so everyone will at least get something.
They won't as it's meant to be the incentive for casuals who don't realize how much of a scam it is as the DLC in the Expansion goes away when your subscription ends

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom