• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
I'm gonna say this in the NASB thread
But what if they reveal the last Nick All Star Brawl base game characters in the direct?

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
Should note though that Sm4sh DLC, Ultimate's base game and Ultimate's Pass 1 ended on just a release date announcement. I'm suspecting the same is gonna happen here.
One of these was its own Direct with more than enough to show to justify such. The other was simply not close enough to a Direct, so it was its own one-off thing announced on Twitter. Here, we have a general Direct, the usual 3-months-ish after the last DLC fighter.

EDIT: I was ninja'd, but still, haha.

Last edited:

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
I understand not raising expectations super high, but cynicism is just as prone to being unfounded and unrealistic as optimism. Don't forget the "hype" part of "hype responsibly." You're allowed to be excited! Pipe-dreamers and Debbie downers are equally unproductive.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Let me repeat without being repetative.
The last general Directs before those respective events all had a Smash character. It just wasn't the last character revealed. The last general Direct before the end of 4's DLC had Cloud. The last general Direct before Ultimate released had Isabelle. The last general Direct before the end of pass one had Terry.

This time the schedules line up so the last character coincides with a general Direct.

I feel like you're reading the wrong signals.

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend
I would honestly say to keep Smash expectations in check. Like, unless we are directly told that there will be Smash news, we should be ready for the possibility of not a lot of Smash news. I'm expecting the character trailer and then the announcement for Sakurai Presents, but there is that possibility of either the announcement for Sakurai Presents or a mention of the character still needing some time.
Honestly I don't think it's that big of an issue. Heroes already references some of the more unsavory plot points (one of Ishtar's voice lines explicitly calls out the ritualistic child sacrifices and all that jazz) and Fates has Corrin/Azura lol. Plus even games like Three Houses and Sacred Stones touched on things that can arguably be seen as a lot worse.

I don't know. It's just that like, as someone who really loves FE4 and its story, I do think a lot of the "they'd absolutely need to censor these plot points" fears are a bit overblown. At the end of the day they could include all of it and still maintain a T rating.
Corrin and Azura has been feeling weird lately because Intelligent Systems tried to "retcon" the cousins deal by saying Mikoto and Arete were "very close to each other, they were practically sisters", but IIRC, there was something in Heroes that was recent that continued on the Mikoto & Arete are sisters deal. So I'm not sure exactly what the end scenario is going to end up being.

The child sacrifices I don't see being the issue. The main issue that I saw more was besides Arvis and Deirdre being half-siblings, though not really their fault since neither knew at the time, supposedly there were incest tones between Seliph and Julia. Not including that glitch that could happen where they could pair up, since they weren't originally supposed to be able to pair up.
Watch the final fighter be the new protagonist from the next Fire Emblem game.

The salt would be endless.
FIRE EMBLEM! HEROES!
The only pick that has any sort of realism behind it is Kiran from Fire Emblem: Heroes. It is a possibility, but I highly doubt their response to Byleth was "let's do literally the same thing again".
It isn't just Kiran who could be picked. Fjorm is another possibility, especially with the amount of attention she's been getting lately.

That said, Kiran can be very different from Byleth and the other sword users thanks to the Breidablik Kiran uses, due to Breidablik being a magic gun that has the addition of being able to transform into melee weapons like an axe or spear. But if they wanted to, they could do a Mii Gunner/Megaman-like moveset for Kiran. (Actually, a Kiran costume for Mii Gunner could be fun, even if some attacks wouldn't make a lot of sense.)
Fjorm has the benefit of wielding a spear that only Byleth uses for some of their attacks, but Fjorm is capable of using ice magic, which only the Ice Climbers focus on. So she can be made pretty different from the other FE characters as well.
As much as Reginn would be very unique, there's the issue of her creation being not too long ago whereas the 2nd Fighters Pass roster was supposedly decided around 2019 around the time of Hero and Banjo. And Reginn wouldn't come out until the end of 2020.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
I get the thought process of the idea of a stand-alone Smash presentation, sure. I don't think it's necessary, since unlike Smash 4, this is a single character, not 2 new characters and 3 new movesets to cover, but it could happen, sure.

But the absolute doomerism of "The Direct won't have Smash at all" is beyond baffling to me.

Between Smash 4 and Ultimate, we've not once had a General Direct without any Smash info at all, even if it's something as simple as "Here's Joker's model, we're working hard!". This is, again, the final General Direct of the year, there's no more until early 2022, and I severely doubt that Nintendo would pass up shoving Smash into this thing.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
My opinion on the likelihood on an existing series getting a fighter:
Inconclusive (Baseline):
  • The Legend of Zelda
  • Kirby
  • Pokémon
  • Sonic the Hedgehog
  • Street Fighter
Unlikely:
  • Metroid
  • Animal Crossing
  • Splatoon
Highly Unlikely:
  • Super Mario
  • Donkey Kong
  • Fire Emblem
  • Metal Gear
  • Mega Man
  • Castlevania
Extremely Unlikely:
  • Yoshi
  • Star Fox
  • EarthBound
  • F-Zero
  • Kid Icarus
  • WarioWare
  • Bayonetta
  • Persona
  • Dragon Quest
  • Banjo-Kazooie
  • Fatal Fury
Disconfirmed:
  • Xenoblade Chronicles
  • Final Fantasy VII
  • ARMS
  • Minecraft
  • Tekken
No:
  • Ice Climber
  • Game & Watch
  • Pikmin
  • R.O.B.
  • Wii Fit
  • PUNCH-OUT!!
  • Mii (Super Smash Bros.)
  • PAC-Man

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
The last general Directs before those respective events all had a Smash character. It just wasn't the last character revealed. The last general Direct before the end of 4's DLC had Cloud. The last general Direct before Ultimate released had Isabelle. The last general Direct before the end of pass one had Terry.

This time the schedules line up so the last character coincides with a general Direct.

I feel like you're reading the wrong signals.
Well I certainly do hope you're right if this is the case. Here's to tomorrow we finally know the final character.

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
Seriously what is the point of waiting for a direct, being doom and gloom when it doesn't happen, but then it finally happens and then all of a sudden the pessimism starts? What was the point of worrying about if there was gonna be a direct if the immediate reaction after we get it is "well, not expecting it tbh. Probably gonna be a separate thing". That's so freakin obnoxious after all the talk of a direct beforehand.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
Seriously what is the point of waiting for a direct, being doom and gloom when it doesn't happen, but then it finally happens and then all of a sudden the pessimism starts? Waht was the point of worrying about if there was gonna be a direct if the immediate reaction after we get it is "well, not expecting it tbh. Probably gonna be a separate thing". That's so freakin obnoxious after all the talk of a direct beforehand.
I think some people take "hype responsibly" as meaning "Holy **** set your expectations to zero and pray".

SKX31

Smash Master
I think you'd be legally obligated to play every Dota 2 screaming compilation in the highest volume setting. Just saying.
Certain caster lines would be... something.

"Coming through with the woooooo"
"Brutal. Savage. Rekt."
"It's looking Spicy!"
"Ding Ding Ding ************"
"You know what's cooking? BOOM!"
"Что это?! Какая жесть!" ("What is that? Such a mess!")
" Ух, это такая душка! " ("Wow, this is such a supression!")
"Ай-ай-ай-ай-ай, что сейчас произошло!" ("Ah ah ah ah ah, what just happened!")
" А ну-ка иди-ка сюда. А вот все. Все. " ("Come on, come here you. Oh it is done. It's done.")
"我是一个没有感情的刷钱机器" ("I am an emotionless farming machine.")
"来,你打我呀!" ("Come, I DARE YOU TO HIT ME!")
" 你行你行,你上你上" ("If you think you can go, then go.")
" 唉唉唉!唉?唉 … " ("Ah ah ah! Ah? Aaaah...")
" Mommy! I got me! Immortality! Wohoooo-o!"
" 스캔 돌려야 되요 따라란따란따라라라란 스캔 돌려야 된다고요!" ("We need to scan! Dararararararan! We need to scan!".)
People would think I'm insane before long. :roll:

I'm pretty sure League's casters have equally-insane lines, come to think of it.

I understand not raising expectations super high, but cynicism is just as prone to being unfounded and unrealistic as optimism. Don't forget the "hype" part of "hype responsibly." You're allowed to be excited!
In addition, I'm personally hyped because the road here has been worth it, despite all the negatives that have followed. I mean, the 11 characters that Ultimate's DLC have introduced have generally been well-made and fun to play as - and even if they can be difficult to play against I haven't felt that the DLC characters are too overbearing on a general scale. Also, there's been a lot of unexpected choices which I welcome.

So yeah, I'm hyped because I'm confident that Sakurai and co. (famous last words, I know, but still) And hey, the DLC introducing me to a lot of stuff - eg SNK - so that was a pretty major bonus.

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
I don't think anyone expects the Sakurai Presents to be, like, appended to the Direct like it was with Banjo (who was revealed prior anyway.) and then released that same evening. That's unrealistic.
What's far more likely is the Sakurai Presents being given an air date after the initial reveal, which would be in the coming Direct.

Something else already mentioned is that if there wasn't going to be any Smash news here, they'd probably had said so on Twitter. Like they always had with these things. It'd be pretty slimy to try and reel in viewers with the expectation of Smash and not follow through by virtue of technically not having said it'll be happening. They know better.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I get the thought process of the idea of a stand-alone Smash presentation, sure. I don't think it's necessary, since unlike Smash 4, this is a single character, not 2 new characters and 3 new movesets to cover, but it could happen, sure.

But the absolute doomerism of "The Direct won't have Smash at all" is beyond baffling to me.

Between Smash 4 and Ultimate, we've not once had a General Direct without any Smash info at all, even if it's something as simple as "Here's Joker's model, we're working hard!". This is, again, the final General Direct of the year, there's no more until early 2022, and I severely doubt that Nintendo would pass up shoving Smash into this thing.
Kinda falls in line with the doomsaying of prior to today thinking we wouldn't get anything until December, which never made much sense.

And I know that's easy to say in retrospect, but I've been saying September Direct reveal for a good long minute now.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
It isn't just Kiran who could be picked. Fjorm is another possibility, especially with the amount of attention she's been getting lately.

That said, Kiran can be very different from Byleth and the other sword users thanks to the Breidablik Kiran uses, due to Breidablik being a magic gun that has the addition of being able to transform into melee weapons like an axe or spear. But if they wanted to, they could do a Mii Gunner/Megaman-like moveset for Kiran. (Actually, a Kiran costume for Mii Gunner could be fun, even if some attacks wouldn't make a lot of sense.)
Fjorm has the benefit of wielding a spear that only Byleth uses for some of their attacks, but Fjorm is capable of using ice magic, which only the Ice Climbers focus on. So she can be made pretty different from the other FE characters as well.
As much as Reginn would be very unique, there's the issue of her creation being not too long ago whereas the 2nd Fighters Pass roster was supposedly decided around 2019 around the time of Hero and Banjo. And Reginn wouldn't be come out until the end of 2020.
Since Kiran directly interacts with Fire Emblem: Heroes's summoning mechanics (the entire point of the game due to it being a gacha game), which bring very obvious moveset potential that would be unlike anything the game currently has, and said summoning mechanic allows literally any Fire Emblem character to also take part (including the other important Fire Emblem: Heroes characters), I really don't think anyone else has a shot.

MarioRaccoon

Smash Ace
My last wish for CP11:

• Resident Evil rep
  • Second Bamco rep (Digimon or Dark Souls preference)
  • FPS shooter rep (Master Chief or Doomslayer, wouldn’t mind a Half-Life rep)
  • A cartoon type character; either Rayman or Crash. Prefer Crash but Rayman its ok.
  • Ryu Hayabusa
  • if its Nintendo, a Rhythm Heaven rep

Please Nintendo.

Aside from smash news, would be happy to see Xenoblade 3 official announcement and GB/GBC/N64 being added to NSO

Last edited:

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
I think I'm gonna dip for now. I can't imagine much of note happening here between now and the Direct besides more of "what if no smash reveal lol" and the same tired refutations. I'll check back in later tomorrow, before things go off.
I have my favorite coffee and favorite snacks ready for tomorrow's occasion~!

Shroob

Sup?
I think there's some things to take into consideration when saying things like:

"Smash 4/Base game/Pass 1 ended in their own presentation!"

Smash 4 had 2 new characters, and with Cloud's moveset still being mostly unknown at the time, 3 movesets to cover.

Base game had 2 new characters and a PLETHORA of stuff to cover that had yet to be covered at that point.

Pass 1 simply didn't fall alongside the timing of a Direct, and was thus released alone.

We're getting close to 100 days since Kazuya, we're WELL past the average for reveals, and considering we're not expecting anything like new modes or the like, at the very most, we're expecting the usual suspects:

A character, a stage, some music, some spirits, and mii outfits.

Could this final character get a presentation unto themselves? Sure, I won't deny that possibility, but to think that the Direct will have nothing Smash related at all, even a date for said character's presentation is silly.

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
Fortunately, even in the what I believe is the unlikely event we won't get any Smash news, we'll get news about other games and that's enough for me.
Fingers crossed for Pikmin... Please?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom