• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
He's been dead, like, 5 times. I don't think it's going to be a problem.
Yea but for some reason a portion of the Metroid fanbase has this weird thing that Metroid should be different and retire their most marketable villain. Ridley isn't even the main focus of most games he's in. He's perfectly capable of being the old villain while coexisting with all the new we get.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
C'mon guy. Am I supposed to believe they'd just put a floating ball in Smash?
Can't tell if this is a joke or if you don't know what King Boo does. He actually has a huge pool of moves to pull from between the three Luigi's mansion games. You might be thinking of the walmart brand King Boo they put in Mario Kart and stuff.

I predicted Byleth for this exact same reason and I got bullied for months by people saying there was a literal 0% chance, but we saw what happened there. We're in the same situation now with King Boo.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Yea but for some reason a portion of the Metroid fanbase has this weird thing that Metroid should be different and retire their most marketable villain. Ridley isn't even the main focus of most games he's in. He's perfectly capable of being the old villain while coexisting with all the new we get.
I think it's because Metroid is a series that actually tries to craft an ongoing narrative with some semblance of actual story progression, so many fans think it's just really goofy having Ridley constantly keep coming back from the grave and diminishing his overall credibility as a threat.

Last edited:

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
I never played conker but that video of a giant singing poo wtf lol! At first I was in disbelief like nah this is a joke then I realized no it's a huge talking pile of ****. It's like an homage to 3d platforming while also flipping everyone off which I'm guessing was necessary at the time but yeah I wanna play it now lol.

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
I think it's because Metroid is a series that actually tries to craft an ongoing narrative with some semblance of actual story progression, so many fans think it's just really goofy having Ridley constantly keep coming back from the grave and diminishing his overall credibility as a threat.
That's just the price you pay for being a reaccuring villain. Zelda has a far deeper story but most don't care about Ganon returning because they have the whole reincarnation gimmick. It doesn't discredit the threat he brings.

Metroid does have a more cohesive timeline compared to Zelda or Mario, but this is first and foremost a Nintendo franchise. Character recognition is a big thing for them. As long as there is plenty of new in the games I don't see the issue with having a reaccuring villain like Ridley. Especially since his importance is rarely ever as the main antagonist so he's rarely the driving force like Ganon or Bowser. Turning Ridley into a K Rool who's lost to the sands of time is not my idea of fun. I love that giant dumb lizard. Fighting him is fun.

Last edited:

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
Thing about Ridley being dead is that we actually have a body in Fusion and Other M had to resort to that cloning thing to get him to return.

Obviously this doesn’t mean he’s gone for good. Resurrection, his Fusion corpse being a fake, or that Consciousness swap idea with the EMMIs.

I expect him to return eventually (Hes the second most popular character), but his Super Metroid Demise does hold more weight than his other endings.

Last edited:

The Rhythm Theif

Smash Ace
An Apartment With Stolen Forgery Art In Paris
Switch FC
SW-2028-5151-9144
I don't remember where, but I heard once that Sakurai added Lucas under the assumption that Mother 3 was coming to the west and that he wouldn't have added him otherwise.
Edit: Found it
Doesn't cite a specific source but from what I know, SG usually knows what they're talking about
Speaking of, I know it’s a dead meme by this point, but we could really use that Mother 3 release in the West.
8D1E2361-A60E-4838-9B6E-26CF3EFAA4A8.jpeg

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
Thing about Ridley being dead is that we actually have a body in Fusion and Other M had to resort that cloning thing to get him to return.

Obviously this doesn’t mean he’s gone for good. Resurrection, his Fusion corpse being a fake, or that Consciousness swap idea with the EMMIs.

I expect him to return eventually (Hes the second most popular character), but his Super Metroid Demise does hold more weight than his other endings.
Yea Super Metroid holds more weight. Other M opened the door since we know that cloned corpse was Fusion Ridley. As long as there's a trace of DNA or something out there floating in space he can come back, which he 100% will because Nintendo isn't retiring Metroid's most well known villain.

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
Yea Super Metroid holds more weight. Other M opened the door since we know that cloned corpse was Fusion Ridley. As long as there's a trace of DNA or something out there floating in space he can come back, which he 100% will because Nintendo isn't retiring Metroid's most well known villain.
Wait, the Other M Clone is the same one in Fusion? Strange thing to retcon but I don’t see why they’d do that without wanting the OG Ridley to return.

Also it’s really funny that Neo Ridley is a clone of a clone.

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
Wait, the Other M Clone is the same one in Fusion? Strange thing to retcon but I don’t see why they’d do that without wanting the OG Ridley to return.

Also it’s really funny that Neo Ridley is a clone of a clone.
Yea Other M explained how there was a frozen Ridley husk in a Galactic Federation station. Other M Ridley turned into a lifeless husk so they could easily store him away. Basically means OG Ridley's body is unaccounted for. Probably exploded from Zebes, but that never stopped him from coming back before.

Eldrake

Smash Lord
They did say that Ridley died for real on Zebes in Super Metroid, where his body even split into pieces and his parts was still there when Zebes exploded. Then again, Kraid supposedly died on Zebes too, but he seems to be alive in Dread, so maybe Ridley might still come back from the dead one day.

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
They did say that Ridley died for real on Zebes in Super Metroid, where his body even split into pieces and his parts was still there when Zebes exploded.
Perhaps, but considering how many times he's exploded and the series finally continuing it's hard to imagine they'll just leave it at that. I like having Ridley come back from death again and again to be a haunting reminder of her past. Uhhh, bad Other M scenes not included of course.

Laniv

Smash Champion
They did say that Ridley died for real on Zebes in Super Metroid, where his body even split into pieces and his parts was still there when Zebes exploded. Then again, Kraid supposedly died on Zebes too, but he seems to be alive in Dread, so maybe Ridley might still come back from the dead one day.
Oh yeah, almost forgot Kraid was back. I don't think anyone was expecting (or particularly wanting) him to show up again.

Last edited:

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
Oh yeah, almost forgot Kraid was back. I don't think anyone was expecting (or particularly wanting) him to show up again.
Please spoiler for those who aren’t in the know. (Most of us know but there a couple who don’t)

Of the three original Space Pirate leaders he’s definitely got the short end of the stick. His most memorable moment is the fakeout little Kraid in Super (Though that has kinda aged like dirt with the internet and Zero Mission). To my knowledge he hasn’t done much in Canon. Hes got a cool design though, hopefully Dread gives him a neat role instead of just a boss fight again.

Last edited:

Eldrake

Smash Lord
Please spoiler for those who aren’t in the know. (Most of us know but there a couple who don’t)

Of the three Original Space Pirate leaders he’s definitely got the short end of the stick. His most memorable moment is the fakeout little Kraid in Super (Though that has kinda aged like dirt with the internet and Zero Mission). To my knowledge he hasn’t done much in Canon. Hes got a cool design though, hopefully Dread gives him a neat role instead of just a boss fight again.
And also Metroid fans has been clamoring for his return forever. The fanbase, or at least those who watched the trailers, went absolutely wild upon seeing him back in the flesh.

And by god, I hope we get a dual boss battle against Ridley and Kraid one day.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
The best I could see them do with Ridley is give him a short break like Ganon/dorf between TP and ALBW. I highly doubt they'll ever retire him as he's too iconic and important to the series, and like other Nintendo villains for their respective series will always have a place as Samus' nemesis for as long as the series continues.

The Rhythm Theif

Smash Ace
An Apartment With Stolen Forgery Art In Paris
Switch FC
SW-2028-5151-9144
Trust me, I have seen Nightmare Ridley, Meta-Ridley, and Robo-Ridley (the latter from Zero Mission). He’s gonna come back.

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
The best I could see them do with Ridley is give him a short break like Ganon/dorf between TP and ALBW. I highly doubt they'll ever retire him as he's too iconic and important to the series, and like other Nintendo villains for their respective series will always have a place as Samus' nemesis for as long as the series continues.
You see, I'd be okay with giving him a break for a game if it hasn't been 19 years since Fusion. Metroid doesn't get enough games for me to be ok with that lol. First HD Metroid I sure as heck want space lizard to be given good treatment.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Alright, I had one of those Smash dreams the other night. I Kinda forgot most of it by now but from what I can piece together, there was two different fighters:

The first was Bandana Waddle Dee. The second was "Ultra Dee" or something like that, who was either a yellow Dee with a parasol or a Dee with a yellow parasol, I don't quite fully remember

I also seem to recall a lot of disappointment surrounding Bandana Dee and people dunking on him on Discord, people preferring Ultra Dee, and me as a Bandana Dee supporter feeling rather miffed

But anyways yeah we have two fighters for CP11 and they're both Waddle Dees

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Everyone's still sleeping on King Boo. The lack of a Luigi's Mansion 3 spirit event is ridiculously suspicious. I'm going to be surprised if it's not him.
I think it is silly to feel a spirit event means anything- particularly as advertisement for a game that might not have a character added until 18+ months later. But, I'm a big fan of King Boo as a character, myself. Though I imagine he would be as a Mario character.

Trevenant

Smash Lord
LM3 wasn't the only game to miss a spirit event TBH. Mario Maker 2 and Yoshi's Crafted World also lacked one. Whilst the former isn't really based on characters as much, considering they literally had a Labo spirit event, I don't think the lack of characters was an issue for MM2. As for the latter, whilst it is true Crafted World got represented via a skin, you could also argue LM3 got represented with the updated poltergust and grab for Luigi.

With all this in mind, it just seems they had to miss a few games out for spirit events, which isn't exactly surprising since the first spirit event we got was in September 2019 and 2019 in general was packed with new releases anyway.

Now that I think about it, I guess you could argue that MM2 and Yoshi's CF released before September meaning they were kinda old news but since Astral Chain, Ring Fit etc etc all waited like 3 months for a spirit event, I don't see why they couldn't have done the same for MM2 even if it existed beforehand. They likely just had to cut some games that could have warranted representation and LM3 was one of them. Doesn't have to equate to playable King Boo

Last edited:

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
I think it is silly to feel a spirit event means anything- particularly as advertisement for a game that might not have a character added until 18+ months later. But, I'm a big fan of King Boo as a character, myself. Though I imagine he would be as a Mario character.
This is exactly what people said about Byleth (minus the liking him part)

Dan Quixote

Smash Lord
This is pretty much the reason I think Ridley will be relegated to some sort of non-canon post-game boss or a statue or even a multiplayer thing if Dread does the recent Nintendo thing of sticking co-op minigames everywhere. (Though if that was a thing it'd probably have already been announced by now.) Even more than the juggernaut Legend of Zelda, Metroid is the only Nintendo franchise that seriously gives a heck about that game-to-game plot. The entire Metroid series has really only taken place over a really short time iirc. IDK if it's a couple years or months but still all very short for a series with nine games in it. Like someone mentioned earlier, we literally see the dead corpse with our own eyes, and that's fiction media code for "no this is really it I promise"

That said I do WANT Ridley to appear in some non-canon role or something like that if they do decide to keep with the continuity. It'd be cool to see in in HD in two games on the Switch.

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
Alright, I had one of those Smash dreams the other night. I Kinda forgot most of it by now but from what I can piece together, there was two different fighters:

The first was Bandana Waddle Dee. The second was "Ultra Dee" or something like that, who was either a yellow Dee with a parasol or a Dee with a yellow parasol, I don't quite fully remember

I also seem to recall a lot of disappointment surrounding Bandana Dee and people dunking on him on Discord, people preferring Ultra Dee, and me as a Bandana Dee supporter feeling rather miffed

But anyways yeah we have two fighters for CP11 and they're both Waddle Dees
Ultra Dee is just the Helper to Hero Parasol Waddle Dee. Goated ability, Let's get it.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
Most of the games that missed Spirit Events were just Wii U Game: Switch Sequel and represented already. Hell, the Mario Maker stage already has slopes, there's your Mario Maker 2 content right there.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I had a Smash dream the other night, too. It was me at this party with Sakurai in it, and they revealed that Sora from Kingdom Hearts would be playable in Smash, with Disney characters to show up alongside him. But the trailer for him did not show Sora at all for some reason by the time I woke up. (This was near the end of my dream, by the way)

Trevenant

Smash Lord
Most of the games that missed Spirit Events were just Wii U Game: Switch Sequel and represented already. Hell, the Mario Maker stage already has slopes, there's your Mario Maker 2 content right there.
I'm not trying to argue that we're gonna get some Mario character based on this stuff, more so just saying LM3 missing a spirit event doesn't imply that we're getting King Boo, like at all. It's not really that he's slept on as much as it is that he's kinda unlikely. Even with the direct or indirect representation they had, they absolutely still could have gotten spirit events, but were missed out due to already being represented, being out prioritized by other games etc.

Last edited:

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
Speaking of dreams. Metroid is on my mind so I had a dream they revealed Prime 4 last night. Samus' suit looked kinda sleek like Dread's suit but it looked more corrupted with less color, and Samus' eyes were like..darkened with red pupils, but she still seemed sane, and the environment was this dusk like color with a solar eclipse covering the sky. It was really really cool but then I woke up.

Someone help me I have Metroid fever.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Speaking of dreams. Metroid is on my mind so I had a dream they revealed Prime 4 last night. Samus' suit looked kinda sleek like Dread's suit but it looked more corrupted with less color, and Samus' eyes were like..darkened with red pupils, but she still seemed sane, and the environment was this dusk like color with a solar eclipse covering the sky. It was really really cool but then I woke up.

Someone help me I have Metroid fever.
Here, choose which pill to take. The blue pill will make you forget about Metroid forever. The red pill will make your interest in Metroid go higher than it was before.

Last edited:

Munchi

Smash Journeyman
Well since the topic of now is Metroid I think it is a good time to post this.

Last edited:

Laniv

Smash Champion
Luigi's Mansion 3 already has playable representation FFS. For the billionth time, Luigi uses the new Polergust model in Ultimate.

We got Sephiroth, didn't we? And if LM3 has playable representation already, why didn't they just go "well, might as well do the spirit event, then"?

I'm not saying King Boo is totally 100% happening, I'm just saying, there's a lot of things that point to him being a possibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom