• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Now that I've read the rest of the post...

The best Rival Schools has gotten as of now was Akira Kazama in Street Fighter 5. And yes, Sakura explains everything as to how they met.
You say it like it's a BAD thing, despite the sheer amount of love and passion the SF devs poured into everything for Akira.

She's literally got the same amount of little details that Sakurai gives to a Smash character. They absolutely cared and it shows.

Bionic Commando has only gotten ONE crossover. ONE. And that was in MvC2. A 21-YEAR-OLD GAME.
I'm not sure whether you meant Bionic Commando since this is what Ivander brought up or Captain Commando, which was the one in MvC2, but either way you're wrong because both IPs showed up in two Marvel games each.

I have never heard anything about a Breath of Fire crossover. Not even once.
He probably means Street Fighter V. There's a lot of IPs represented through costumes in that game, so it could be that.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
The Panzer Dragoon remake leaves me nervous about both its follow up(s?) from Forever Entertainment and also whatever the hell they've signed on to do with Nintendo. It was... not... amazing.

Granted they do listen to feedback and made improvements, and will hopefully continue to do so with Zwei, plus Nintendo is usually able to wring talent out of otherwise so-so devs, so there's reason to be optimistic. But we'll have to wait and see.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Yeah, to be honest... I know that was meant to be taken as a joke, but Village is overrated. More overrated than the Doom Guy & Isabelle memes.View attachment 329840
Yes, I posted a hot take. You're gonna come after me? Fine. COME AND GET ME!
Nah, that's actually a fair take considering how the entire marketing revolved around making people horny for someone [RE8 SPOILERS INCOMING] who dies after 2 hours and was pretty much the only thing about this game that was sexy, which technically qualifies the game as being false advertised

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Ghosts N' Goblins only got a remaster...
It's not a remaster.

Nintendo said:
Watch as this nostalgic yet completely reimagined storybook world unravels before your very eyes.

Taking cues from both Ghosts 'n Goblins and Ghouls 'n Ghosts and giving birth to something entirely new, Resurrection is a title worthy of its name.

Don't be fooled—this picturesque storybook world, while gorgeous, is a love-letter to the original titles and maintains the same punishing gameplay that fans have come to expect. So go on and test your mettle, for the gauntlet has been thrown!
Looking at some gameplay to confirm it, it starts out very similar to the first game, but then gets crazy really fast. I'd say it's a full on new game, or at least a reimagining as advertised (which is very close to the same thing anyway).

Ivander

Smash Legend
1. Resident Evil has only gotten new online multiplayer games... AND THEY SUCK.
2. In terms of Darkstalkers, it's just copy-and-pasting Morrigan if Darkstalkers makes physical appearances. VERY RARELY have they done a Darkstalkers crossover and put a Darkstalkers character that WASN'T Morrigan.
3. The best Rival Schools has gotten as of now was Akira Kazama in Street Fighter 5. And yes, Sakura explains everything as to how they met.
4. Bionic Commando has only gotten ONE crossover. ONE. And that was in MvC2. A 21-YEAR-OLD GAME.
5. I have never heard anything about a Breath of Fire crossover. Not even once.
6. I meant all of that as in CROSSOVERS AND ACTUALLY NEW CONTENT. Ghosts N' Goblins only got a remaster, see #1 for Resident Evil, and re-released games don't count either.
  1. Resident Evil has gotten Resident Evil 7, 2 Remake, 3 Remake and Resident Evil 8, ALL of which Aren't online multiplayer.
  2. We're not going to talk about Jedah's appearance in Marvel vs Capcom Infinite or Demitri, Hsien-Ko and Felicia in Project X Zone 1 and 2? Or Hsien-Ko and Felicia in Marvel vs Capcom 3?
  3. Bionic Commando.....in Marvel vs Capcom 2......did you even frickin' play Marvel vs Capcom 2 OR 3? I can understand Marvel vs Capcom Infinite, but you clearly don't know your crossover rosters.
  4. Yeah, Teppen, the card game. Alongside with Street Fighter, Resident Evil, Monster Hunter, Devil May Cry, Darkstalkers, Mega Man X, Okami, Sengoku Basara, Strider, Phoenix Wright and Dead Rising.

Granted, Nina is a Character Costume while the others are Cards, but yes, Breath of Fire has gotten a crossover in a Capcom Crossover game.
  5. Except Ghosts'n Goblins Resurrections is an actual new game. Not even a remaster. And obviously, you have issues with the recent Resident Evil single player games.
Nah, that's actually a fair take considering how the entire marketing revolved around making people horny for someone [RE8 SPOILERS INCOMING] who dies after 2 hours and was pretty much the only thing about this game that was sexy, which technically qualifies the game as being false advertised
No, Capcom didn't even think she'd get popular. If anything, the horny people did the marketing for them and clearly even they didn't now they were doing false advertisement.

Last edited:

warubyun

Smash Apprentice
That GOW Ragnarok trailer was so ****ing hype.

Surprised it's going to be the last game with the norse setting though.
At one point in God of War (2018) there were possible hints that the next setting could be any of the following mythologies: Aztec, Celtic, Egyptian or Japanese. I'm most interested of all in where they're going next, to be honest.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
By the way, about the State of Play, if I may ask, what did you all think of the new Spider-Man 2 game shown?

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
To be fair, it's not like Capcom expected Lady D to get as much traction as she did. The game was in development for nearly five years, so Lady D's role as it is likely wasn't going to change just cause people were horny.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
I mean when you have a lot of IPs it's impossible to give something to all of them, be it cameos, crossovers or whatever. Let alone new games, especially when some of your IPs are bound to not be that successful compared to your top franchises.

Considering that, I think Capcom is definitely one of the companies that does a good job keeping their dormant IPs as relevant as possible, if not the best one in that regard. Fans of dormant franchises from other companies would kill for cameos, crossovers like the ones they do for TEPPEN or fighting games appearances.

Edit:
I mean you're omitting the fact that they never promoted Dimitrescu more than other characters in the first trailer reveal. At that point the game was obviously close to being finalized, and Dimitrescu's rise in popularity was a thing that happened after the reveal. They never expected her to became so popular. Calling that false advertisemnt is just dumb.

Last edited:

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
To be fair, it's not like Capcom expected Lady D to get as much traction as she did. The game was in development for nearly five years, so Lady D's role as it is likely wasn't going to change just cause people were horny.
If they didn't expect her to get any traction from just looking at her, they're either stupid, blind or both.

And no, I'm not gonna believe any PR statement.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Fans of dormant franchises from other companies would kill for cameos, crossovers like the ones they do for TEPPEN or fighting games appearances.
Nintendo: "Alright all you forsaken IPs, we're gonna bring back two or three of you and the rest of you will be Spirits in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate and that'll be it for the next few years."

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
By the way, about the State of Play, if I may ask, what did you all think of the new Spider-Man 2 game shown?
Spider-Man and Spider-Man team up to take down evil Spider-Man.

I'm not really a fan of when a character gets so popular the powers at be just start iterating on them instead of creating distinct new characters, but that's not the game's fault. All those characters are quite popular, and I'm sure it will be a good game like the first.

In general I just wish for a bit more creativity in the initial creation process, so a game that highlights that Spider-Man is getting pretty derivative of itself isn't my thing. I think as it stands I'm more interested in Wolverine. Maybe that's also because it's a rare period in time when Wolverine isn't actually overexposed.

Dan Quixote

Smash Lord
It's not a remaster.

Looking at some gameplay to confirm it, it starts out very similar to the first game, but then gets crazy really fast. I'd say it's a full on new game, or at least a reimagining as advertised (which is very close to the same thing anyway).
Okay see they really bungled the marketing on this one lol. I only learned last month that Resurrections wasn't just a remake of an earlier GnG game. Because you're totally correct! It's simply a brand new game in the franchise. So it's kinda weird that soooo many people did not realize that when that should be a terribly easy distinction to make.

WtfMan

Banned via Administration
Spider-Man and Spider-Man team up to take down evil Spider-Man.

I'm not really a fan of when a character gets so popular the powers at be just start iterating on them instead of creating distinct new characters, but that's not the game's fault. All those characters are quite popular, and I'm sure it will be a good game like the first.

In general I just wish for a bit more creativity in the initial creation process, so a game that highlights that Spider-Man is getting pretty derivative of itself isn't my thing. I think as it stands I'm more interested in Wolverine. Maybe that's also because it's a rare period in time when Wolverine isn't actually overexposed.

That's not even an accurate statement though, Spiderman and Venom have aesthetic similarities, but they are completely different characters with completely different origin stories and powers. You could make that argument for Miles Morales, because he's also Spider Man, but Venom isn't. It's like trying to say that Sonic and Crash are the same because they are both furry animal mascots that spin. Or that Minecraft and Terraria are the same games because they are both 2D sanboxes.. or this argument can go on and on.

You claim to be against characters that aren't creative, but your argument isn't very creative in the first place, it's just a pseudointellectual opinion that a million people already have.

As for Miles Morales though, you can't call him creatively bankrupt if he was never a new character to begin with, he's just a different person as the same character. Spider Man is not even the only comic book character with a lot of other people as him. Marvel comics exist in a multiverse so it's inevitable that that will happen.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Well if we take a look at Capcom's IPs,
red being dead series and blue being series that feasibly have a future ahead of them...
Ace Attorney
Bionic Commando
Breath of Fire
Darkstalkers
Dead Rising
Devil May Cry

Dino Crisis
Dragon's Dogma
Final Fight
Gaist Crusher

Ghosts 'n Goblins
Lost Planet
vs. Capcom
Mega Man
Monster Hunter

Ōkami
Onimusha
Power Stone

Resident Evil
Rival Schools
Sengoku Basara
Star Gladiator
Steel Battalion

Street Fighter
Strider
Viewtiful Joe
It's honestly doing pretty good in terms of breadth, and for what it's worth for most of the dead franchises, they do exists in cameos in other games, so Capcom does show a modicum of respect for them rather than trying to pretend they never existed.

If you want to stack that up against Nintendo, I guarantee you Nintendo's results would look quite worse...

Last edited:

SNEKeater

Smash Master
If they didn't expect her to get any traction from just looking at her, they're either stupid, blind or both.

It's easy to say that now in perspective, though. If they were so sure about that the first trailer would have featured Dimitrescu a lot more, and in said trailer she doesn't appear significantly more than other characters. Saying this because I watched that one thousand of times so I remember it well. The trailer ends with Heisenberg and then a werewolf creature so it's not like the reveal ended with her.

Not to say a lot of times companies focus on early game areas during promotion to not spoil further locations. They did the same for RE7.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I'm not really a fan of when a character gets so popular the powers at be just start iterating on them instead of creating distinct new characters, but that's not the game's fault.
Yeah it seems like with Spider Man, the stories are done with the angle of using the rogue's gallery to its fullest rather than doing something terribly new, which isn't inherently a bad thing, but with his prevalence in the media, it would probably be a good idea to try something new instead of being like "OK we've done Green Goblin, Dr. Octopus, Rhino, Shocker, Vulture, Sandman, who's next...ah! Venom." Perhaps now that they've all gotten appearances in the mainstream games and films, they'll have them out of their system and they can have new characters be the villain.

EDIT: I don't think I communicated this well, but my stance is that the issue is less the reuse of characters and more that they're used so much people are going to start getting fatigued with them just like they were with Peter Parker's origin story.

That's not even an accurate statement though, Spiderman and Venom have aesthetic similarities, but they are completely different characters with completely different origin stories and powers.
They do? I thought all Venom had was super strength and webs (unless it's Marvel Vs. Capcom).

They are very different characters, but I don't think their abilities are all that different.

Last edited:

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
They do? I thought all Venom had was super strength and webs (unless it's Marvel Vs. Capcom).

They are very different characters, but I don't think their abilities are all that different.
Venom is effectively a shapeshifter who can do whatever the hell he wants.

He only emulates Spider-Man out of sheer hatred for him, iirc.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305

Venom's a formless cannibalistic slime monster who's taken over the shape of a man.

Even as someone with only a cursory knowledge of Spider-Man lore, Venom is pretty damn different.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
I am proving my points and there are no counterpoints, that is the problem.

It would be one thing if I was arguing for a character and someone else or multiple people were arguing for other characters with the same kind of volume of evidence, but instead it is just a lot of “I have a feeling” stuff and flat out ignoring spirit events just because of characters from ARMS and Xenoblade 2 ended up getting into Smash Ultimate when they originally weren’t going to.
43-437361_ace-attorney-phoenix-wright-case-closed-phoenix-wright.png

So every piece of evidence in the context of speculation is inherently flawed as a basis for decision making. After all, it's only possibly true once a character is revealed and until then it's all just educated guesses. That's why it's FUN you.... Green blooded Vulcan! You sing it!

I for one choose not to judge a person's taste. If someone tries to put others down because they believe that they are more right, well I call that being a bully... .

So no, your Magnitude, your mountain of evidence is but a well mapped index of reasons why your personal mw must be coming to smash.

I won't deny you know a lot more about the character than me, Idon posted some awesome material or like that time to split dude he's always great to read but you it's like oh... Pass then a page of others poking holes in your words.

I'd just ya know change it up. We get it lol you love your mw, so how about posting new news about him or whatever but then leave out the troll bait talking about this is why I'm right and you're wrong noise.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Ah. I was given the impression his form was static.
Well when merged with someone Venom tends to look like Spider-Man, since it was first introduced as a new black Spider-Man suit. When on its own the venom symbiote is black blob.

WtfMan

Banned via Administration
I honestly really hate when people downplay creativity by saying "oh something similar has already been done" as long as it isn't a carbon copy then it should be respected as it's own thing. Coming up with a completely fresh idea is quite literally impossible.

4 characters being similar doesn't make them the same they are still unique creations.

Last edited:

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
I honestly really hate when people downplay creativity by saying "oh something similar has already been done" as long as it isn't a carbon copy then it should be respected as it's own thing. Coming up with a completely fresh idea is quite literally impossible.
And remember; no matter what you plan on making, chances are...

Ivander

Smash Legend
If you want to stack that up against Nintendo, I guarantee you the results would look quite worse...
As in terms of IPs still getting games? Or getting crossovers? Cause I mean, I think Nintendo and Capcom are probably the 2 companies who do a decent job with their IPs, with maybe Namco being behind. But then again, any company looks like they do a good job with their IPs when compared to Konami.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
As in terms of IPs still getting games? Or getting crossovers? Cause I mean, I think Nintendo and Capcom are probably the 2 companies who do a decent job with their IPs, with maybe Namco being behind. But then again, any company looks like they do a good job with their IPs when compared to Konami.
I mean in terms of the ratio between currently active IPs vs IPs they own:
Lotta corpses propping up the top section of the screen.

Shroob

Sup?

Spontaneous horny isn't really that surprising.

Look at the Gen 6 Hex Maniac from Pokemon. She was just some random throw-away trainer class. She still gets fan art consistently how many years after XY came out?

Dimetscura was made to definitely appeal for the booba crowd, but I severely doubt they'd think she would TAKE OFF as hard as she did.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Complaining that Dimitrescu isn't the main villain of RE8 and that it's false advertising feels like complaining the entirety of RE2 isn't the police station or the entirety of RE7 isn't Jack Backer's house.

Like it's the demo area.

Obviously the game's going to be more than that.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Im
Complaining that Dimitrescu isn't the main villain of RE8 and that it's false advertising feels like complaining the entirety of RE2 isn't the police station or the entirety of RE7 isn't Jack Backer's house.

Like it's the demo area.

Obviously the game's going to be more than that.
RE 3 felt the most claustrophobic and this was exacerbated by random Stars! Crunch munch dead... I mean outside the save room door where you think it's safe noooo

RE 2 was awesome Two quests intertwined in marvelous authenticity and re zero would push that to the truest of heights

RE has that charm RE4 was the pinnacle for me and I still never did beat code Veronica.... Lost the disc.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I feel like some of those are cheating...

Plus, let's not kid ourselves, Nintendo fans can be somewhat hypocritical in that regard: they ask for new IPs, yet don't even support said IPs.
Lotta Capcom IPs I listed are "cheating" too. I'm showing all their IPs in full.
If I were to ascribe personal value to what was lost I'd say I don't very much care about a lot of dead series on either side.

On the topic of IPs, I don't think it's the fault of fans sometimes. Some new ideas are just not good, despite their uniqueness. Like ARMS.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I feel like some of those are cheating...

Plus, let's not kid ourselves, Nintendo fans can be somewhat hypocritical in that regard: they ask for new IPs, yet don't even support said IPs.
I think part of the issue is that if it looks like a D list title, most people won't care. Never mind that it is a D list title by its very nature.

That's probably why people got hyped for ARMS and Splatoon and didn't for Code Name S.T.E.A.M. and Sushi Strikers: Way of the Sushido. Or it's just marketing/taste.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom