• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
I heard from someone here that Street Fighter III: Third Strike was Sakurai's favorite Street Fighter? Of course it's Nintendo deciding DLC characters but surely he has some sway in getting music, considering that the Street Fighter songs in Smash are only from SFII. And isn't Chun-Li considered the face of 3rd Strike?

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I heard from someone here that Street Fighter III: Third Strike was Sakurai's favorite Street Fighter? Of course it's Nintendo deciding DLC characters but surely he has some sway in getting music, considering that the Street Fighter songs in Smash are only from SFII. And isn't Chun-Li considered the face of 3rd Strike?
Well she's top tier as hell in that game, but I wouldn't consider her the face of Third Strike.

Honestly, I'd say it's your profile picture that people think of first when they think "Street Fighter 3 characters" considering Chun-Li is just popular in SF in general rather than 3rd Strike specifically.

Unless you're talking about the 3rd Strike boxart?
1610309974193.png

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I was under the impression that Alex was considered the face of SF3 as a whole. Actually, did he even get a Spirit? It's been a while since I checked.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I was under the impression that Alex was considered the face of SF3 as a whole.
He is, but Chun-Li is specifically prominent in Third Strike because she was absent from the other two SF3 games and returned due to popular demand. As a result she's showcased front and center on a lot of the promotional art and stuff. And, of course, she's top tier in that game as well.

Also as far as I remember, Alex doesn't have any spirit in Smash. Which is unfortunate - I think Yun and Yang and Ibuki are the only SF3 characters who appear.

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I still find it ironic as hell how Ken got a CGI trailer while Ryu didn't.
I mean, you could say the same thing about Sephiroth getting a CGI trailer when Cloud didn't.

Smash 4 DLC just didn't get real trailers. But then Sakurai realized that the character trailers are the only thing in this day and age that generates the kind of response that he wanted SSE cutscenes to generate back in the day(but didn't, because everyone just watched it on youtube).

So now, he takes all that SSE cutscene effort and pours it into the character trailers.

Sophitia

Smash Cadet
The fact that Ryu, Ken, Akuma and Chun-Li were the only veterans in 3rd Strike shows just who Capcom considered to be essential. Well, I guess even more narrowly, only Ryu and Ken were in New Generation.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
I was under the impression that Alex was considered the face of SF3 as a whole. Actually, did he even get a Spirit? It's been a while since I checked.
Well in general for III yes. But Chun-Li is right up there with Alex for the 3rd Strike Installment. Being on the center of the cover, and representing III for Capcom's could have been, Capcom Fighting Evolution and of course being the most feared character in the game tier wise.

Capcom unfortunately neglected Alex before V, even when he appeared in Tatsunoko Vs Capcom. And I'm glad he made a reappearance in V.

Edit: :ultgreninja:'d

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
From what I can gather, if we get Chun-Li chances are her pack will be largely SF3-centric, since she was pushed front and center in Third Strike. That sound about right?
Honestly, I would expect the focus to be on Alpha series just as much on account of her Alpha outfit being such a no brainer alternate costume. I'd anticipate a pretty even split between SF3 and Alpha content, maybe more focus on SF3 for spirits since there are less of those characters as it stands rn.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
TBH I think the most sus thing about the Chun-leak is actually Lloyd. Seems odd to me that he was planned for base game, then cut, but they didn't even bring back his mii costume as a consolation prize. It could happen, but smash has a history of giving planned characters some kind of content when they miss the boat.
We aren't done getting costumes yet, though.

And tbf, we don't know all the characters that have been planned but scrapped in Smash's history. If we didn't know any better it certainly wouldn't seem like Rhythm Heaven was destined for anything special by the way Smash has outwardly treated that series.

Golden Icarus

Smash Lord
TBH I think the most sus thing about the Chun-leak is actually Lloyd. Seems odd to me that he was planned for base game, then cut, but they didn't even bring back his mii costume as a consolation prize. It could happen, but smash has a history of giving planned characters some kind of content when they miss the boat.
I remember when the Chorus Kids were assumed to be cut from Smash 4, with the only remnants of their inclusion being a random Smash Run enemy.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
What I find extra intriguing is that supposedly there was both Lloyd and Yuri. Maybe Bamco tried to push in extra content, or they were just placeholders until they decided who to go with, or something, and so they got pushed back until Nintendo and Bamco could come to a consensus on what to do.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
Every 3rd party costume in 4 was excluded from base to be resold as DLC. What's actually more interesting though is the fact that Tales Of is the only series with a DLC costume in 4 that has no content in the base game. Even Heihachi and Gil got something(being in Pac-Man's taunt). It adds credence to the negotiations leak that Tales of Content may have been deliberately held off to be sold in a Fighter's Pack similarly to Sephiroth and the Final Fantasy content that was very lacking in base.

Ivander

Smash Legend
In terms of what monsters would appear, Those like Zinogre, Rathian, and Deviljho are givens, they're extremely popular/recurring monsters and they would probably not miss the chance to have them as hazards to cart Smashers with. The rest depend, but if they don't care about which games they appear in then those like Lagiacrus, Mitsuzine, Nergigante, Gore Magala, and Valstrax are also good candidates to appear.
I guess it depends on which area they choose for the stage that will determine which monsters appear.
Like if Deserted Island was the chosen area, Lagiacrus, Great Jaggi, Rathian, etc could appear. If Ancestral Steppe is chosen, it can be Gore Magala, Tigrex, Kecha Wacha, Rajang, etc. If Jurassic Frontier is chosen, then Glavenus, Valstrax, Tigrex, Kirin, etc. If Ancient Forest is chosen, than Great Jagras, Anjanath, Bazelgeuse, Tigrex, etc.

That's just what I think will happen is that whichever area they choose for a stage will determine the monsters that appear, to match up with which monsters do appear in those areas and whatnot.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
hello naughty children it's that time of the year again

that's right, fake leak time

why do ALL of these fake leaks include GTAV come on lmao

although, one or two things may be of interest to 3BitSaurus 3BitSaurus ...

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I dunno if you meant it this way or not, but when this is said it always comes off as talking down to people who are genuinely happy that characters they like feel like a legitimate possibility, to me.

I've talked about Chun-Li being one of the most glaring absences and most significant characters absent from the series months before Sephiroth popped up. I didn't think she had much of a chance because there was no precedent for expanding on third parties with brand new, fully unique characters yet (and I probably would have been laughed at for suggesting it). It was a matter of time, but I didn't think we'd get there until next game.

Nobody was talking about plenty of our hot candidates at the moment - Dante, Crash, Master Chief, I dunno - until Cloud broke down that barrier and showed the community that third parties didn't need to be "honorary Nintendo characters" or have that intensely strong bond. Snake and Sonic broke down a barrier before that and allowed people to talk about Mega Man and Pac-Man, etc. Are these the "only" reason people talked about these characters?

Sorry if I'm projecting this on the wrong person and that isn't what you meant, but I'm kinda tired of hearing people say this and how it's the "only" reason people are talking about these characters. It comes off extremely reductive toward how much genuine love there is toward Chun-Li, or Eggman, or whoever.
Yeah you took that to a completely different ball park. I’m saying we’re putting stock in old rumors and leaks because Sephiroth bumped a trend. That’s literally all I was saying. I’m completely for Chun-li getting in. It doesn’t bother me one way or the other. I’m completely indifferent. I was just making an observation.

Edit: Actually a lot of people in here have actually given my character crap simply because he happens to show up in leaks a lot. So, yeah I have no intention of making anyone else feel the way that I did for a while when people were sick of my character, I assure you.

Last edited:

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305

Love the "Legend of Zelda: X of the Y" name variants.

Like come on now, they didn't call it "Mask of Majora" or "Princess of Twilight" after Ocarina of Time lol.

cashregister9

Smash Hero

Why do all Fake Zelda Games sound the same, and why are they all terrible names too?!?

Adrianette Bromide

Smash Lord
If there's something interesting about Lloyd it's that Pac-Man's taunt doesn't include him despite Lloyd having an actual sprite (from a more obscure Tales spin-off) he can use while Heihachi ended up part of it. You would probably recognize it as the one that Super Smash Flash 2 uses. You could make the argument that Lloyd was considered (put in or not) but Heihachi was definitely not considered and so they didn't put him in Pac-Man's taunt if he did end up ever making it in the game as not to overlap. This one's a bit of a stretch, I'm really reaching for things to talk about today but the Chun-Leak has bee on my mind for a while.

Remember the Chun-Leak doesn't necessarily leak characters that will be in but rather characters that were cut aside from Erdrick (who was already a poorly kept secret). This normally wouldn't have served of any importance back then but now that Steve and Sephy are in pass 2, there's more interest in it as it implies that some of these characters that mysteriously did not appear in the launch game are coming back in FP2. So for all we know Chun-Li might be coming back but Lloyd was just permanently scrapped and the leak wouldn't necessarily be wrong because it never predicted either of them coming just that they were scrapped.

Otoad64

Smash Lord

SharkLord

Smash Hero

Oh hey, Genshin. If this were real I wouldn't have to wait very long; I've been holding off to see how good the Switch port is in comparison to the PS4/PC.
Sonic Lost World Deluxe? That's a new one.
At this point I'd be kinda surprised if we get a really big character for CP9, seeing as E3 would cover CP10 and probably CP11 as well. I'm expecting one more smaller character for this pass, and E3 wouldn't be very compatible with that unless it's a fan-favorite like Isaac.
Yay Silksong
Excuse me what in the fresh-hot Kentucky-fried flying %$#@ is a Cool Ranch

Metroid Prime Trilogy. Noice. Been waiting for that one.
The Legend of Zelda: X of the Y. Again. Seen this one a million times, next.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master

Ah, yes.

Kitty Littering. Sounds like a game everyone was tired of waiting for. Maybe you could even say... pooped.

Yeah, definitely fake - starting with the return of Generals. Don't see that happening, especially with the second wave of emergency measures in Japan.

Also, insert joke about getting two nickels for two 4chan leaks involving Ahri and it being weird that it happened twice.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Huh, I did hear Deserted Island's name quite a bit searching for MH players' preferred areas. Actually, isn't the Rathalos WoL sub-area located on an island? That would be a funny little coincidence.

Regarding monsters, what about Kirin? It's a decently iconic monster, to the point where even a complete MH noob like me knows about its existence.
It is! It's in that portal on the island in the bottom corner.

Yeah, Kirin would be another one. It's probably one of the best candidates for an Elder Dragon to appear as a hazard alongside Nergigante and Valstrax.

I guess it depends on which area they choose for the stage that will determine which monsters appear.
Like if Deserted Island was the chosen area, Lagiacrus, Great Jaggi, Rathian, etc could appear. If Ancestral Steppe is chosen, it can be Gore Magala, Tigrex, Kecha Wacha, Rajang, etc. If Jurassic Frontier is chosen, then Glavenus, Valstrax, Tigrex, Kirin, etc. If Ancient Forest is chosen, than Great Jagras, Anjanath, Bazelgeuse, Tigrex, etc.

That's just what I think will happen is that whichever area they choose for a stage will determine the monsters that appear, to match up with which monsters do appear in those areas and whatnot.
Pretty much, yeah. If they're strict with their roster selection then I wouldn't expect something like Lagiacrus in Ancient Forest or Nergigante in Deserted Island, they'd probably dip more into the local wildlife to fill in the gaps. Those that overlap definitely get the most out of that set-up since cases like Tigrex appear in most of the top options for stages (Misty Peaks, Ancestral Steppe, Jurassic Frontier, Ancient Forest, and Elder's Recess), so they're easy to slot in without it looking out of place.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Love the "Legend of Zelda: X of the Y" name variants.

Like come on now, they didn't call it "Mask of Majora" or "Princess of Twilight" after Ocarina of Time lol.
Waaaat? Ocarina of the Time, Mask of the Majora, Princess of the Twilight, and Skyward of the Sword are my favorite The Legend of Zelda games! :crying:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Would the Switch even be able to handle the non-PS3/360 version of the game? When you set the game's graphics settings as low as possible with the resolution at 720p, the game still takes up more RAM+VRAM than the Switch would allow. It does have 4 GB of RAM, but Nintendo would have to make a special mode for GTAV and other games to use most of it.

Last edited:

Slime Master

Smash Ace
We aren't done getting costumes yet, though.

And tbf, we don't know all the characters that have been planned but scrapped in Smash's history. If we didn't know any better it certainly wouldn't seem like Rhythm Heaven was destined for anything special by the way Smash has outwardly treated that series.
Sure, but at the time of his cut the mii costume likely wasn't planned, given that it still hasn't happened. Unless I'm mistaken on the timeline, FP2 probably wasn't planned either. That second point is valid though.

If there's something interesting about Lloyd it's that Pac-Man's taunt doesn't include him despite Lloyd having an actual sprite (from a more obscure Tales spin-off) he can use while Heihachi ended up part of it. You would probably recognize it as the one that Super Smash Flash 2 uses. You could make the argument that Lloyd was considered (put in or not) but Heihachi was definitely not considered and so they didn't put him in Pac-Man's taunt if he did end up ever making it in the game as not to overlap. This one's a bit of a stretch, I'm really reaching for things to talk about today but the Chun-Leak has bee on my mind for a while.

Remember the Chun-Leak doesn't necessarily leak characters that will be in but rather characters that were cut aside from Erdrick (who was already a poorly kept secret). This normally wouldn't have served of any importance back then but now that Steve and Sephy are in pass 2, there's more interest in it as it implies that some of these characters that mysteriously did not appear in the launch game are coming back in FP2. So for all we know Chun-Li might be coming back but Lloyd was just permanently scrapped and the leak wouldn't necessarily be wrong because it never predicted either of them coming just that they were scrapped.
Agreed but I think I should clarify: I don't think Lloyd is especially unlikely, I just thought it was weird that he was negotiated for and planned for the base game, yet got nothing. He has a real shot regardless of the leak.

SKX31

Smash Master
Waaaat? Ocarina of the Time, Mask of the Majora, Princess of the Twilight, and Skyward of the Sword are my favorite The Legend of Zelda games! :crying:
I must disagree, Wild Breath is my favorite!

There was also icon data found for a Rhythm Heaven character datamined.
Huh, didn't know that. While we won't know why a RH character was left out until Sakurai feels comfortable with disclosing the reason, chances are that RH ran into some very real difficulties when designing the character. I can't imagine that the stage / music would present any issues unless there's some rights issue that I'm not aware of.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
It really isn't a crap business decision, it's just that what makes Geno soooooo special over literally every other character who's also a Mii Costume to the point that Geno's the only one who still has a shot? The only answer is "I want him and I refuse to believe he's out of the count"
This applies to literally every third party costume, absolutely none of them returned in the base game
So I will respond to this one briefly because it isn't just simple dismissal of his chances for no reason and is an actual talking point.

See, even papagenos papagenos has taken this stance of thinking that Geno is possible after this returning Mii Costume is some sort of hypocrisy, but it really isn't.

There is a difference between saying 'Returning Mii Costumes deconfirm, but not Geno's because we want him' and saying 'Returning Mii Costumes don't deconfirm, but some of these characters have other things against them, and Geno doesn't' and I really think everyone sees Geno fans who are still rooting for him being either delusional or the former instead of the latter, of which I am a part of.

When new information comes in, one is allowed to take that information in and come to a new conclusion, and the results of that conclusion may or may not differ. The conclusion I've come to was that I previously thought that since some costumes had already not returned that some would just be cut, however seeing the Chocobo Hat return with Geno and that they have clearly made the effort for each third party Mii Costume to return from Smash 4 over time, this means it was always part of the ideal and contracted for them to return and therefore has no weight against them being playable.

This means that I open the window for characters like Tails, Heihachi and the now inevitable Lloyd Irving and Monster Hunter costumes that WILL return. This also happens to apply to Geno, however it wasn't until the Chocobo Hat returned with Geno's costume that people such as myself realized we had been living by another stupid fan rule. It's the 'Spirits Deconfirm' fan rule all over again.

Frankly, the only costumes you should maybe worry about are new ones, ones exclusive to buying a Fighter's Pass, or Deluxe/Premiums, and that is the order of severity. New costumes are the least to worry about because honestly, as long as content keeps coming, these things can change in the future so long as fan demand stays strong. Remember, Spring Man was legitimately considered by Sakurai to be that playable character for ARMS despite being s Spirit, costume and an AT. So, costumes like Travis would fall here.

Things like Rex and his costume is a bit rougher because they are technically more expensive and locked behind purchasing other content, but I wouldn't rule them out entirely.

However, Deluxe/Premium costumes are a whole different ball game. These are painstakingly made to be as accurate to the character as possible and occasionally even come with music tracks when applicable, and thus so much effort being put into them to be like the character really feels like there are no intents for that character to be made playable. Thus characters like Sans, Cuphead, Vault Boy and Bomberman are kinda screwed in comparison.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Sure, but at the time of his cut the mii costume likely wasn't planned, given that it still hasn't happened. Unless I'm mistaken on the timeline, FP2 probably wasn't planned either. That second point is valid though.
Just because we're only getting some of the past costumes now doesn't mean they were negotiated for much earlier. I think the intention since before launch was to bring back all of the character costumes, and their distribution has just been a matter of allocating who with what. Given the second pass, they had more freedom to spread them out, but I think all of the returning costumes were reacquired a long time ago, including those in FP2, and are just being disseminated gradually.

I agree that at the point they were deciding base characters they likely hadn't decided on this yet, but at that point they probably hadn't decided any of the supporting content, including other potential "consolation prizes" like Bomberman and Shovel Knight. Characters tend to be one of, if not the first area tackled. The majority of the third-party content from non-playable series has arrived with DLC, and that phase isn't over yet.

ShrimpScampi

Smash Journeyman

Plot twist: Mario Golf Club isn't a new game, it's a new piece of Mario merch, literally a golf club with Mario's face on it

But yeah, that Zelda title just sounds silly. If they wanted to make a title with "miracle" and "mist" in it, "Mist of Miracles" rolls off the tongue a lot easier imo.

7NATOR

Smash Master
Did the Team Ninja Twitter account retweet the Age of Calamity Spirit event Announcement? Is it a good thing or bad thing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom