• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
I have a much more reliable pattern I personally ascribe to:

Joker: Character I didn't personally want.
Hero: Character I didn't personally want.
Banjo: Character I didn't personally want.
Terry: Character I didn't personally want.
Byleth: Character I didn't personally want.
Min Min: Character I didn't personally want.
Steve: Character I didn't personally want.
Sephiroth: Character I didn't personally want.
Pyra & Mythra: Character I didn't personally want.
Kazuya: Character I didn't personally want.

Ergo I can safely surmise that the next and final Smash Bros DLC characterwill be a character I don't personally want!

You may now applaud my impeccable deductive ability.
Or I could just laugh at your misery :4pacman:

Jondolio

Smash Hero
I'm banking on the direct being on Wednesday.
Hope so too, since I'm on a holiday for most of next week but I have plans for Monday and Tuesday.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
I mean, the same could be said that if CP11 isn't a big third party, we're still gonna have "final reveals can/can't be huuuuuuge" debates.
A part of me would love to see a character like Eevee make it as the last character just to see the same kind of people who uses the "smash bubble" argument also arguing that it doesn't qualify as a "big finish" from the viewpoint of a very specific portion of the hardcore fanbase.

Sakurai, when talking about Waluigi, stated that him being an Assist Trophy meant that he wouldn't be playable.
You're attacking a strawman. No one statet that ATs don't disconfirm for the base roster, just that it doesn't for DLC that wasn't planned and that comment was made in the context of the base roster for Smash 4 where DLC wasn't even initially planned. People arguing ATs disconfirm also seem to forget that spirits were explicitly made as a way to enjoy characters other than fighters (as in consolation prizes) for the base roster and spirits aren't just PNGs, their status as non-playable roles are much more important to this game to the point of being a big feature in a major mode. The whole point of World of Light involves the concept of non-playable spirits alongside fighters. And yet we got 3 spirits getting promoted to full fighters and somehow people think being a mere item is somehow going to arbitrarily stop a character.

We are now currently at the phase where people are going "It's not the fact that they're ATs that deconfirms them, it's their outside factors!"

Look, being an Assist Trophy is not the cause for being disconfirmed.
It is the telltale symptom of being disconfirmed. The nail in the coffin, if you will.

Regardless of the myriad reasons for a character being made into an Assist Trophy instead of a character, at the end of the day, they're still inside that glass container. It is less than pointless to discuss the intricacies of why each and every single AT is unlikely to be made a character, especially when we literally may never know the dev's team actual reasonings. They're not making it in this game and that's a certainty I can bank on.

For God's sake, do we look at Marx and go "Hey, do you think Marx can still make it in as DLC?" Of course we don't. He's a boss. It's not the fact that he's a boss that made him deconfirmed, it was the reasons for why they made him a boss character to begin with that killed his chances as a playable character. I think the same reasoning naturally extends to assist trophies.

If we want to be technical, ATs do not kill a character's chances...
that's only because they're already dead.
That's the heart of the problem. It's not technical issues, or mixing players up, or any of that nonsense. It's that they're never going to get in this specific game to begin with.

Take it from a guy who has Zero as his profile picture and who has 5 of his most wanted characters trapped in that glass bubble and whose most wanted is a costume worn by a mannequin; the sooner we move onto the acceptance part of grief, the better.
Problem with that logic is that would imply that non-playable roles are given to characters as a way of saying that they are "not good enough to be playable".

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Ah, seen the other parts of Delz’ video. He just very much leaned on the “New first party“ angle for this. Fair enough. In my opinion not the only option obviously, but I understand the focus.

I don't expecting them to promote BDSP with a character because we already have enough content from Gen 4 as is.
Yes but we don’t have Empoleon.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Ah, seen the other parts of Delz’ video. He just very much leaned on the “New first party“ angle for this. Fair enough. In my opinion not the only option obviously, but I understand the focus.

Yes but we don’t have Empoleon.
We have Lucario, Spear Pillar, and a lot of Gen 4 music and Spirits. It's represented well enough.

Jondolio

Smash Hero
My secret plan is to bank on a Pokémon getting in, but not specifying which gen it is, and then it's Decidueye to rep Legends Arceus. This is how I win.
it ain't happening but i can dream can't i

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
I don't expecting them to promote BDSP with a character because we already have enough content from Gen 4 as is.
Characters don't get in based off how easy it is to fill up spirits and music for them, rather those content gets decided after the fighter. Besides, if we are going to use that kind of argument, then someone like Bandana Dee is likely by virtue of having a prominent role in Star Allies, a successful game with practically no representation in stage, music and :ultkirby::ultmetaknight::ultkingdedede: don't even have Star Allies references unlike with :ultlink: having BOTW representation.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Characters don't get in based off how easy it is to fill up spirits and music for them, rather those content gets decided after the fighter. Besides, if we are going to use that kind of argument, then someone like Bandana Dee is likely by virtue of having a prominent role in Star Allies, a successful game with practically no representation in stage, music and :ultkirby::ultmetaknight::ultkingdedede: don't even have Star Allies references unlike with :ultlink: having BOTW representation.
BDSP is a remake of a game that's represented pretty well, and the only gen they've gone back to and added more reps from is Gen 1 with Mewtwo in Melee (who was a scrapped character from the first Smash) and the Pokemon Trainer in Brawl.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
If we do get another Pokemon it will probably be another Gen 8 mon, like how they added Pyra/Mythra over a second rep of Xenoblade 1.

Jondolio

Smash Hero
Y'all sleeping on Infernape.
Infernape would unironically be so hype to play as in a fighting game that it's not even funny. Infernape for Smash babyeee

Gorgonzales

Smash Lord
Honestly at this point I'm exhausted and ready for the DLC to end. I don't really care who it is specifically, but at the very least, I really really hope it isn't another human character (or a Pokemon).

Dixie Kong, Crash, Rayman, Kamek, Q*Bert, Tails, Ameratsu, Bandana Dee, Skull Kid, I don't care. Non-humans and cartoony characters make for some of the most interesting and visually distinct fighters. Most of the DLC has been human after human with the two exceptions being Banjo and Steve (I know Steve is still technically human but you get what I mean).

People rag on cartoony characters and some characters who aren't human because "lol scrimblos", but look at Smash's original roster. Do they not remember what this series started out as?

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Dixie Kong, Crash, Rayman, Kamek, Q*Bert, Tails, Ameratsu, Bandana Dee, Skull Kid, I don't care. Non-humans and cartoony characters make for some of the most interesting and visually distinct fighters. Most of the DLC has been human after human with the two exceptions being Banjo and Steve (I know Steve is still technically human but you get what I mean).
Dixie would be a pretty cool way to finish off Smash DLC with one final round of Rareware love.

ryuryunonoroi

Smash Apprentice
Gen 3 tho
I don't really have a strong opinion of Gen 3 since that and 8 are the only Gens thus far I've passed up on. The former being because I was far more invested in Yugioh and Mega Man Battle Network at the time. But they're cool too. Really Gens 5 and 8 are the only stinkers design-wise. (Snivy is cool though.)
Honestly at this point I'm exhausted and ready for the DLC to end. I don't really care who it is specifically, but at the very least, I really really hope it isn't another human character (or a Pokemon).

People rag on cartoony characters and some characters who aren't human because "lol scrimblos", but look at Smash's original roster. Do they not remember what this series started out as?
The term 'scrimblos' was originally intended as a mockery of the people who complain about the increasing presence of more anime-styled characters and was never meant to be a serious derision. But as with many memes that reach critical mass the term gets thrown around more loosely and the original meaning behind the term gets lost in the process.

Yes for both, actually! (I still have this strange feeling that before the sun comes up, Dark Magician Girl kisses me on the cheek.)
We seem to relate to these spirits in radically different ways.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Link was well known bro, Ocarina of Time came out like 2 years before SSB64. Wouldn't it have been better to use Ness?
That's not the point, the point is that Smash was never 100% Scrimblo. Link has the two main ingredients of an anime swordsman, an "anime" face and a sword.

Jondolio

Smash Hero
Personally I couldn't care less if the character is anime or a scrimblo. I care more about whether they come from a cool game and can do cool **** or not.

osby

Smash Obsessed

I don't know which one is funnier.

How you put visual distinction as a request and then ask for Dixie Kong or how you act like scrimblo fans are an oppressed minority.

Jondolio

Smash Hero
Dixie would be really cool but I don't think she fits into Sakurai's uniqueness criteria, so I'd be really surprised if she made it in at this point.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Pretty certain that's exactly what is currently happening. Sakurai, when talking about Waluigi, stated that him being an Assist Trophy meant that he wouldn't be playable. The following game that's thrown out of the window for some people since Sakurai could once again change his mind.
Plus I'm certain there are still people doubting Sakurai's words about CP11 being the final fighter despite him saying this for a year. :mybodyisreggie:
It was the Smash 4 pic of the day that showed off Waluigi's assist.

The caption was like "Just because you try hard, doesn't mean you'll be playable!" or something.

View attachment 329039
I forgot about this, and I see it making sense for the basegame (I already felt being an AT meant disconfirmed for basegame, similar to spirit events disconfirming), but since he said it before Smash 4 DLC was a thing, and maybe before it was planned, + considering other characters in multiple roles as has been said before, I feel as if ATs aren’t off the table as a possibility for FP2 (even if unlikely now considering only one more spot).

But maybe he does see ATs as “not playable even if previously unplanned DLC comes,” which I’d find very weird considering what he’s done with other characters, but oh well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom