• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
only player 2 can defeat him

Players 1, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, and 8: Whelp, guess I'll die.
"The year is 30YY. To shake up the meta that had been dominant since 20XX, Psycho Mantis was allowed as the only item in competitve Smash. Since everyone plays perfectly and the winner is decided by port priority, TOs felt that Psycho Mantis forcing players to randomly change ports mid-match was a fair mechanic to introduce, giving everyone a more level playing field regardless of which port they choose."

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
On the topic of mechanics, I remember back in SM4SH thinking that Shulk's counter was kind of a copout as Vision had a lot more potential but just had them go the easy route with the counter. Thing is in Xenoblade, it's a form of clairvoyance and reading moves relating to events that hasn't happened yet would require some complex systems to be put in place. I know input lag and whatnot exists but if something less intrusive were to be incorporated on a similar medium, who could it fit best and how could it work? Using vision as an example but am curious for how people think something similar could function.
Well, when you boil it down to it's most basic components, Shulk's visions are a counter with extra steps: He sees a bad thing happen, and then does something differently to prevent it.

In Xenoblade Chronicles, this causes a race against time since visions are often a warning that a party member is about to die. However, since Super Smash Bros. is a game in which your opponents act spontaneously, and can change their actions on a whim, you can't really say that [CHARACTER is going to Forward Smash you in 10 seconds]. Because of that, the whole race against time thing is kind of a wash. I think a counter is about the only way you can handle it.

You could make it a Bayonetta style counter though where Shulk can counter with anything. If you wanted to make it flashy, you could have the blue aura surround the interaction if the counter connects, then after half a second the characters revert back to just when the move was pressed, allowing you do do whatever to counter it. This may or may not work well depending on how it works in practice.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
there’s the argument to say it’s both.

you can say it was real and that kazuya full fills this because tekken has an M rated game in its series under the Tekken logo and since tekken’s logo in smash is just tekken, it represents the whole series meaning it was most likely for tekken

and then you can say it’s not real and it was debunked over on gamefaqs

and on the side of all this you can simply just say joker debunks this theory because pass 2 didn’t start of at challenger pack 1 again after the first pass ended and instead carries on from character 6 to 11 meaning it’s still the same pass as the first pass which joker being Annan rated game series would carry over into

either way it’s debunked. The dude needs to get a grip. Fair enough if he thinks nabohino is last. It’s people’s opinions. But it’s a totally different thing to then go telling everyone they’re wrong and tell everyone that this theory or that theory etc is right and everyone else is wrong just because it fits the character he wants.
Are you talking about Death by Degrees? Because that game doesn’t even use the Tekken branding at all so I wouldn’t say it even counts.

Edit: I know this is an old post but I’m pretty damn curious

Last edited:

SKX31

Smash Master
I mean, it makes sense, and everything you said is true, but my point is more that using tournaments to verify overall general popularity of a character is... not how it works. How popular and how good a character is aren't mutually inclusive or exclusive in competitive games.

Otherwise the MCU would look... very different, if we were to take MvC2 and UMvC3 tier lists to heart as a popularity gauge. :4pacman:

...Since you're the Dota 2 guy around here, this talk got me curious: are the most popular characters for that game generally high in competitive play? Asking because I know very little about that game's characters and meta.
Yeah, I'm using the smash.gg data in lieu of official data. Nintendo won't ever publish casual playerbase data (I mistakenly thought previously that ultimategamedata was pulled from those corners in the past) and Sakurai's had to get permission to share the most basic of online data in a column about it. Since ultimategamedata has 3.6 million games recorded it can serve as a decent (not perfect) proxy. Lower level tournaments do consist a lot of players who go to locals or are Wi-Fi warriors whom casuals are more likely to face online, after all. Casuals are not going to wind up vs. MKLeo often, after all.

As for Dota 2, a couple sentences:

Not really. There's some overlap, but there's also a major disconnect between casual and higher levels.

Most heroes fall in and out of meta like LoL depending on what's considered strong (Dota 2 got a massive patch rather recently though, so I'm not confident in saying which are meta right now). One often meta support also happens to be the 2nd most popular character in casual play though - Lion, the Demon Witch. His Earth Spike stun and Hex spells are incredibly useful CC, he can additionally Mana Drain opponents and his ultimate - Finger of Death - is a nuke that can just delete someone (or if he upgrades it via the expensive Aghanim's Sceptre item, the entire team if they're clumped). He's very vurnerable to getting jumped on due to his low HP + low movespeed, and his spells can be blocked / avoided, but he's a reliable character regardless of level.

The most popular Dota 2 character by far is Pudge, the skill shot abomination whose hook is a casual favorite through and through (especially since he can toss it from the other side of the treeline). One of Dota 2's most famous players had him as a signature hero. Think Blitzcrank, but made 100 % for snowballing. He's completely ignored in competitive since his trademark ganks are undermined by vision / team play and his item builds have wonky timings. Since he's a tank he's also heavily susceptible to %-based damage and abilities.

Out of the characters I and Eldrake have considered for hypotheoretical Smash inclusion, Invoker, deserves special mention (helps that he's currently 3rd casually and often meta-relevant). Invoker's (in)famously complex, where he has access to 10 spells ready to be invoked - tied to 3 different ingriedients / regeants (one levels up the ingriedients instead of the ordinary spells):

• Quas - Ice spells
  • Wex - Electricity
  • Exort - Fire

Each spell is a different combination of the three ingriedients and he has two spell slots, meaning an Invoker player normally juggles between invoking spells for the moment. I'm listing the spells below. I'm not sure that a :ultshulk: -esque system would work for Invoker since the latter has to make 3 choices to get a spell, so I'm incorporating the spells into his normal moveset and making something else his mechanic. Invoker doesn't have a traditional charge mechanic either, so I'm not convinced that a :ultrobin:-esque mechanic would work either :

* QQQ yields Cold Snap, an icy mini-stun that triggers each time the victim's hit. Possible to reworked a bit and incorporate into his normals - thinking his Forward Tilt - it'd need to touch and he'd have a lot of endlag, but some hellish damage racking.
  • QQE results in Ice Wall, exactly what it says. Possible Down Smash, and slows / spikes opponents on hit.
  • QEE are the Forge Spirits, two helpers made out of fire that spit out fire. Usually combined with Cold Snap to create hell for the one targeted. Possible Neutral B.
  • EEE is Sun Strike, an orbital blast that deals a lot of damage but has to be precisely targeted. Thinking his Side B, targetable a la :ultgreninja: 's Shadow Sneak. The upgraded form of this - Cataclysm, where he just decides "**** it" and just fills the screen with 10+ Sun Strikes, would be a perfect Final Smash.
  • QWE yields Deafening Blast, a shockwave that travels forward fast + plus it pushes back and disarms opponents hit - making them unable to attack for a split second. Thinking his F-Smash.
  • QQE is Ghost Walk, his Invisibility with added move speed + slow for the opponent. Very mana expensive though in his home game. Possible Up B, can be reworked slightly to teleport (assuming he uses an item - Blink Dagger - to teleport).
  • WEE results in Chaos Meteor - yup this ****** has a Meteor spell. Impacts the ground and rolls at the site it impacts, dealing DoT damage a la Joker's Eiha. Really big, but has a delay before it impacts. Pushing this one to Down B.
  • QWW conjures up his Tornado spell. Together with Meteor and Deafening Blast this is Invoker's trademark spell combo. Possible Up Smash or Up Air, with it working quite a lot like :ultmegaman: 's Air Shooter and :ultgnw: 's... whatever it is he's using.
  • WWE yields Alacrity - a spell meant to increase the recipient's (incl. himself) attack speed and damage. Often combined with Cold Snap + Forged Spirits for extra hell. Not sure where to put this honestly. Since I'm out of special move slots I'm gonna use this for the mechanic.
  • EEE gets EMP - exactly what it says on the tin. It drains mana in the source game, but few characters have such a resource. With little other possible places to put it, I'm gonna go ahead and say "Rework it, put it on Down tilt and have it be a small magical explosion that slows".

Invoker would not only have :ulthero: 's mana system (if he's OoM his Smashes and tilts also are relegated to weaker versions a la :ultrobin: 's Bronze Sword, with his Specials not working a la Hero's) but also the ability to "charge" A and get Alacrity out of it. In return, Alacrity gets a major cost increase compared to the source so it's not used at every opportunity, but still, you get an attack speed and damage increase out of it.

"But SKX31 SKX31 , you created a, a-"

A really weird Smash template? Yes! But it's for a reason: Invoker's an incredibly destructive character whose speciality is creating carnage and high damage output! He'll be able to lock onto people and just blow them up, and his variety of slows / stuns would keep them in place. That said, Invoker's main weaknesses in his home game is that he's not the tankiest target and can be jumped - meaning in Smash he'll be relatively easy to juggle and KO. Besides, like :ulthero: and :ultrobin: if he finds himself drained he's fighting at a disadvantage. He's not - and would presumably not be - the fastest character either, FTR.

Well, this escalated into a partial moveset idea. Huh.

So, any smash news? I have been busy checking gamescom.
All quiet on this front, unless you count the upcoming NMH Spirit event. It looks like the news are going to come next month, whether by Direct or some other means.

Last edited:

Theguy123

Smash Lord
Are you talking about Death by Degrees? Because that game doesn’t even use the Tekken branding at all so I wouldn’t say it even counts.

Edit: I know this is an old post but I’m pretty damn curious
yeah I was referring to death by degrees, it was developed by Namco and has Namco’s trademark on the box art. Even has the tekken name on it. I’d go as far to say that it’s a tekken game.

Trevenant

Smash Lord
Well, when you boil it down to it's most basic components, Shulk's visions are a counter with extra steps: He sees a bad thing happen, and then does something differently to prevent it.

In Xenoblade Chronicles, this causes a race against time since visions are often a warning that a party member is about to die. However, since Super Smash Bros. is a game in which your opponents act spontaneously, and can change their actions on a whim, you can't really say that [CHARACTER is going to Forward Smash you in 10 seconds]. Because of that, the whole race against time thing is kind of a wash. I think a counter is about the only way you can handle it.

You could make it a Bayonetta style counter though where Shulk can counter with anything. If you wanted to make it flashy, you could have the blue aura surround the interaction if the counter connects, then after half a second the characters revert back to just when the move was pressed, allowing you do do whatever to counter it. This may or may not work well depending on how it works in practice.
Yeah, the spontaneity would be in issue in this scenario so that's why it would require some major mechanical tweaks if implemented to make use of some non-intrusive form of input lag but with the current engine or possibly something else entirely, but the idea of the action reversing to allow an opening is a really smart way of doing it, and certainly would be a different take on the counter type moves currently.

BTW, now that port priority was brought up, is that still a thing in Ultimate? I remember it being used for one of the glitches in Melee and such IIRC but can't really remember seeing much of it in Ultimate.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
yeah I was referring to death by degrees, it was developed by Namco and has Namco’s trademark on the box art. Even has the tekken name on it. I’d go as far to say that it’s a tekken game.
I mean it does say “Tekken’s Nina Williams in Death by Degrees” but the Tekken trademark isn’t on the box and even on its wiki page it’s not listed as a part of the franchise. So it’s unlikely that the Tekken logo would be saddled with a history of an M-Rating when the game itself doesn’t even use said logo.

FreeFox

Smash Lord
All quiet on this front, unless you count the upcoming NMH Spirit event. It looks like the news are going to come next month, whether by Direct or some other means.
I hope so. My bet was next week for a direct. My price will be a burger if I am right. :shiro:

Theguy123

Smash Lord
I mean it does say “Tekken’s Nina Williams in Death by Degrees” but the Tekken trademark isn’t on the box and even on its wiki page it’s not listed as a part of the franchise. So it’s unlikely that the Tekken logo would be saddled with a history of an M-Rating when the game itself doesn’t even use said logo.
I assumed the tekken part was the trademark but if it’s not then my bad.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Yeah, I'm using the smash.gg data in lieu of official data. Nintendo won't ever publish casual playerbase data (I mistakenly thought previously that ultimategamedata was pulled from those corners in the past) and Sakurai's had to get permission to share the most basic of online data in a column about it. Since ultimategamedata has 3.6 million games recorded it can serve as a decent (not perfect) proxy. Lower level tournaments do consist a lot of players who go to locals or are Wi-Fi warriors whom casuals are more likely to face online, after all. Casuals are not going to wind up vs. MKLeo often, after all.

As for Dota 2, a couple sentences:

Not really. There's some overlap, but there's also a major disconnect between casual and higher levels.

Most heroes fall in and out of meta like LoL depending on what's considered strong (Dota 2 got a massive patch rather recently though, so I'm not confident in saying which are meta right now). One often meta support also happens to be the 2nd most popular character in casual play though - Lion, the Demon Witch. His Earth Spike stun and Hex spells are incredibly useful CC, he can additionally Mana Drain opponents and his ultimate - Finger of Death - is a nuke that can just delete someone (or if he upgrades it via the expensive Aghanim's Sceptre item, the entire team if they're clumped). He's very vurnerable to getting jumped on due to his low HP + low movespeed, and his spells can be blocked / avoided, but he's a reliable character regardless of level.

The most popular Dota 2 character by far is Pudge, the skill shot abomination whose hook is a casual favorite through and through (especially since he can toss it from the other side of the treeline). One of Dota 2's most famous players had him as a signature hero. Think Blitzcrank, but made 100 % for snowballing. He's completely ignored in competitive since his trademark ganks are undermined by vision / team play and his item builds have wonky timings. Since he's a tank he's also heavily susceptible to %-based damage and abilities.

Out of the characters I and @Eldrake have considered for hypotheoretical Smash inclusion, Invoker, deserves special mention (helps that he's currently 3rd casually and often meta-relevant). Invoker's (in)famously complex, where he has access to 10 spells ready to be invoked - tied to 3 different ingriedients / regeants (one levels up the ingriedients instead of the ordinary spells):

• Quas - Ice spells
  • Wex - Electricity
  • Exort - Fire

Each spell is a different combination of the three ingriedients and he has two spell slots, meaning an Invoker player normally juggles between invoking spells for the moment. I'm listing the spells below. I'm not sure that a :ultshulk: -esque system would work for Invoker since the latter has to make 3 choices to get a spell, so I'm incorporating the spells into his normal moveset and making something else his mechanic. Invoker doesn't have a traditional charge mechanic either, so I'm not convinced that a :ultrobin:-esque mechanic would work either :

* QQQ yields Cold Snap, an icy mini-stun that triggers each time the victim's hit. Possible to reworked a bit and incorporate into his normals - thinking his Forward Tilt - it'd need to touch and he'd have a lot of endlag, but some hellish damage racking.
  • QQE results in Ice Wall, exactly what it says. Possible Down Smash, and slows / spikes opponents on hit.
  • QEE are the Forge Spirits, two helpers made out of fire that spit out fire. Usually combined with Cold Snap to create hell for the one targeted. Possible Neutral B.
  • EEE is Sun Strike, an orbital blast that deals a lot of damage but has to be precisely targeted. Thinking his Side B, targetable a la :ultgreninja: 's Shadow Sneak. The upgraded form of this - Cataclysm, where he just decides "**** it" and just fills the screen with 10+ Sun Strikes, would be a perfect Final Smash.
  • QWE yields Deafening Blast, a shockwave that travels forward fast + plus it pushes back and disarms opponents hit - making them unable to attack for a split second. Thinking his F-Smash.
  • QQE is Ghost Walk, his Invisibility with added move speed + slow for the opponent. Very mana expensive though in his home game. Possible Up B, can be reworked slightly to teleport (assuming he uses an item - Blink Dagger - to teleport).
  • WEE results in Chaos Meteor - yup this ****** has a Meteor spell. Impacts the ground and rolls at the site it impacts, dealing DoT damage a la Joker's Eiha. Really big, but has a delay before it impacts. Pushing this one to Down B.
  • QWW conjures up his Tornado spell. Together with Meteor and Deafening Blast this is Invoker's trademark spell combo. Possible Up Smash or Up Air, with it working quite a lot like :ultmegaman: 's Air Shooter and :ultgnw: 's... whatever it is he's using.
  • WWE yields Alacrity - a spell meant to increase the recipient's (incl. himself) attack speed and damage. Often combined with Cold Snap + Forged Spirits for extra hell. Not sure where to put this honestly. Since I'm out of special move slots I'm gonna use this for the mechanic.
  • EEE gets EMP - exactly what it says on the tin. It drains mana in the source game, but few characters have such a resource. With little other possible places to put it, I'm gonna go ahead and say "Rework it, put it on Down tilt and have it be a small magical explosion that slows".
Invoker would not only have :ulthero: 's mana system (if he's OoM his Smashes and tilts also are relegated to weaker versions a la :ultrobin: 's Bronze Sword, with his Specials not working a la Hero's) but also the ability to "charge" A and get Alacrity out of it. In return, Alacrity gets a major cost increase compared to the source so it's not used at every opportunity, but still, you get an attack speed and damage increase out of it.

"But SKX31 SKX31 SKX31 SKX31 , you created a, a-"

A really weird Smash template? Yes! But it's for a reason: Invoker's an incredibly destructive character whose speciality is creating carnage and high damage output! He'll be able to lock onto people and just blow them up, and his variety of slows / stuns would keep them in place. That said, Invoker's main weaknesses in his home game is that he's not the tankiest target and can be jumped - meaning in Smash he'll be relatively easy to juggle and KO. Besides, like :ulthero: and :ultrobin: if he finds himself drained he's fighting at a disadvantage. He's not - and would presumably not be - the fastest character either, FTR.

Well, this escalated into a partial moveset idea. Huh.
Hm, so pretty much like I expected. Yeah, it's very rare for a character to be both insanely popular and consistently good in a MOBA. Despite being completely unfamiliar with Dota, I like the idea of a fighter that uses true AoE and the spell combination system reminds me of Blazblue's Nine, so maybe you could make it work somehow as a Special. Maybe use both that and Alacrity or the spells + Mana? Dunno.

Also:

Think Blitzcrank, but made 100 % for snowballing.
Man, Dota's wild, innit? :roll:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
BTW, now that port priority was brought up, is that still a thing in Ultimate? I remember it being used for one of the glitches in Melee and such IIRC but can't really remember seeing much of it in Ultimate.
IIRC, yes, but it only happens if both players lose in a very small fraction of a second and also have the same score.

The Rhythm Theif

Smash Ace
An Apartment With Stolen Forgery Art In Paris
Switch FC
SW-2028-5151-9144
Yeah, I try to stay away from Twitter. I don’t think I’ve ever even gone there on my own without clicking a link that someone on a forum posts. I much prefer forums to platforms like Twitter but maybe that’s just because I’m old. I also have a DeviantArt account where I post our original characters for a game my brother and I have been wanting to make since we were kids. So far we’re still in the creative part fleshing out the world and characters and haven’t gotten around to actually programming anything and at the rate we’re going, we might never get there lol.
Keep working and take some coding classes. You might get there one day.
0D1BE319-D8E8-44B6-9F8C-2FA5EF347A1E.jpeg

cue the “I believe in you!” quote from Iron Man 2

Last edited:

subterrestrial

Smash Ace
Last edited:

kylexv

Smash Master
Their mistake was not going into the lore and realizing that Tiny was the younger one of the two so now we have the older sibling:
View attachment 327739
and the younger one:
View attachment 327740

EDIT: To be honest they kinda don't even look like they're related.
Pretty sure Tiny's current design debuted in Diddy Kong Racing DS. Her body type probably changed because she replaced Banjo while Dixie replaced Conker.

Last edited:

epicmartin7

Smash Master
NNID
epicmartin
any data mine leaks from the latest update?
In terms of characters and DLC content, the Smash team has pretty much clamped down on that. Last DLC character leak from datamines was actually Hero, which was 2 years ago. So they've definitely learned from that lol.

However, and I'm surprised no one seen this yet, a new entry in ui_amiibo_db.prc may hint that Link is getting a new amiibo.

1629935188543.png

As for what type... that's still up in the air. It could be for the 30th Anniversary, or could even be for BOTW2. Although, traditionally, entries don't need to be added for new game variants as I remember the loftwing amiibo released and I imagine that works with SSBU. But... I might need a bit more clarification on that.

Although, the most exciting prospect is potentially getting new alt amiibo of characters who haven't had them yet. OOT Ganon pls

Last edited:

Trevenant

Smash Lord
BTW people should check this out. They absolutely deserve as many views and subs as possible since they put so much effort into their videos and pump out content pretty regularly nowadays. Aside from the Sandvich, I think this is a really great set.

Last edited:

MrJudd

Smash Journeyman
Since people are talking about datamines, there is something I need enlightening on:
I've seen mentioned multiple times something about Kazuya being listed somewhere before Sephiroth, but I haven't found a single piece of solid evidence in the matter and I don't know why. If someone could give a breakdown (with proof), that'd really help out.

Last edited:

Theguy123

Smash Lord
In terms of characters and DLC content, the Smash team has pretty much clamped down on that. Last DLC character leak from datamines was actually Hero, which was 2 years ago. So they've definitely learned from that lol.

However, and I'm surprised no one seen this yet, a new entry in ui_amiibo_db.prc may hint that Link is getting a new amiibo.

View attachment 327752

As for what type... that's still up in the air. It could be for the 30th Anniversary, or could even be for BOTW2. Although, traditionally, entries don't need to be added for new game variants as I remember the loftwing amiibo released and I imagine that works with SSBU. But... I might need a bit more clarification on that.

Although, the most exciting prospect is potentially getting new alt amiibo of characters who haven't had them yet. OOT Ganon pls
Do we know if there’s any patterns to do with amibo’s that have been shown off with dlc characters. Maybe we could narrow things down. Probably not though.

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
Do we know if there’s any patterns to do with amibo’s that have been shown off with dlc characters. Maybe we could narrow things down. Probably not though.
I haven’t seen a pattern at all, personally.
The number of amiibo shown in each presentation is randomized and not universal for all the presentations. Not to mention the characters they show off in order amiibo wise are random as well, minus FP1.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Since people are talking about datamines, there is something I need enlightening on:
I've seen mentioned multiple times something about Kazuya being listed somewhere before Sephiroth, but I haven't found a single piece of solid evidence in the matter and I don't know why. If someone could give a breakdown (with proof), that'd really help out.
He was actually listed before Pyra, so the order should go Sephiroth-Kazuya-Pyra-Mythra-CP11.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
So today I learned that Ash is a boy.

Anyway, one thing that I was reminded of is that King of Fighters is a 3v3 fighting game, but without the tag system of Marvel Vs. Capcom, Dragon Ball Fighterz, and the like. So that gives me an idea: If we ever get 3 or more SNK characters, what if they just had the innate ability to be grouped together and swap out Squad Strike style? To give such a mechanic more depth, they could also add a meter system that allows them to use supers, but takes a while to charge depending on the character, so you'd have the original game's dynamic of leading with a character that was good at building meter and then following it with a character that's really dangerous when spending it, but maybe doesn't build it as easily.

EDIT: This could be a trio character idea, but could also just be a quick and fun edition to existing characters. In the latter case, they wouldn't be forced to be swappable characters, and the mechanic would be toggleable.

Last edited:

epicmartin7

Smash Master
NNID
epicmartin
Just opened fighter_param.prc and can confirm that Kazuya comes before Sephiroth. In fact, what's interesting is Pyra/Mythra also appear before Sephiroth. And then Kazuya appears before Pyra/Mythra as well. So essentially, it goes:

• Steve
  • Kazuya
  • Pyra/Mythra
  • Sephiroth

1629937054254.png

(Note: 0x12e075ea9a is Kazuya. I haven't updated my hash list yet.)

Looking at different entries, I can't really seem to find one. So we're kinda' in the dark here.

Attachments

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
Just opened fighter_param.prc and can confirm that Kazuya comes before Sephiroth. In fact, what's interesting is Pyra/Mythra also appear before Sephiroth. And then Kazuya appears before Pyra/Mythra as well. So essentially, it goes:

• Steve
  • Kazuya
  • Pyra/Mythra
  • Sephiroth

View attachment 327763

Looking at different entries, I can't really seem to find one. So we're kinda' in the dark here.
Where is Min Min in all this?

ArkSPiTFirE

Smash Journeyman
Hm, so pretty much like I expected. Yeah, it's very rare for a character to be both insanely popular and consistently good in a MOBA. Despite being completely unfamiliar with Dota, I like the idea of a fighter that uses true AoE and the spell combination system reminds me of Blazblue's Nine, so maybe you could make it work somehow as a Special. Maybe use both that and Alacrity or the spells + Mana? Dunno.

Also:

Man, Dota's wild, innit? :roll:
As the other Dota guy here, I couldn't name you anyone from the roster who I think would be suitable for Smash. Either in terms of popularity or mechanics.
There are some popular from a familiarity side; mainly the ones that have been around since the beginning and Valve have picked up on that and marketed with them regularly. You'll see Juggernaut, Crystal Maiden, Drow Ranger, maybe Rubick a lot. They're probably the most recognisable. Mechanically they're pretty straight forward unlike your Invokers and Meepos. But as mentioned already, Pudge is the most played Hero by far and probably just as recognisable thanks to Dendi alone. Then there's Dragon Knight which is both an introductory character and the main character of the new anime, he's pretty straight forward also.

So for getting a familiar face of Dota into Smash, it might be one of those. But I still struggle to see one get picked. That might just be because the culture of Dota is very self containing. Dota's done plenty of crossovers but they're usually only one-way, like an announcer or courier. The only other Dota references I see are in League and WoW, because both those games are kinda intertwined in their history.

There's a bit of a joke that Dota players don't really play any other games, and that's honestly not far off. Don't get me wrong, it'll be cool as hell. I just don't see it happening. I guess if I was to pick one for myself it'd be probably be Terrorblade. He's a melee Hero and one that could mostly work in Smash. Except he has an Ultimate that swaps HPs with an enemy (up to a point) and that would be hilariously broken lol.

Last edited:

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280

View attachment 327752

interesting. Given the glacial pace they're releasing the FP2 amiibo, I think it won't be a P2 amiibo (unfortunately), but rather for some other game. And, seeing as this amiibo is in the current update, a game that's coming soon(ish). Maybe a Minish cap remake early next year?

NessAtc.

Fukou Da...
NNID
nintenstar98
3DS FC
4699-7691-7794
Switch FC
SW-2476-6260-3913

• Steve
  • Kazuya
  • Pyra/Mythra
  • Sephiroth

View attachment 327763

I think it's important to realize as well that, because 11 isn't released yet, we don't actually know where in the listing they'll be as well. At the moment it looks like Kazuya and Sephiroth swapped places, but it's possible that that's not the only extent.

Trevenant

Smash Lord
So today I learned that Ash is a boy.

Anyway, one thing that I was reminded of is that King of Fighters is a 3v3 fighting game, but without the tag system of Marvel Vs. Capcom, Dragon Ball Fighterz, and the like. So that gives me an idea: If we ever get 3 or more SNK characters, what if they just had the innate ability to be grouped together and swap out Squad Strike style? To give such a mechanic more depth, they could also add a meter system that allows them to use supers, but takes a while to charge depending on the character, so you'd have the original game's dynamic of leading with a character that was good at building meter and then following it with a character that's really dangerous when spending it, but maybe doesn't build it as easily.
Assuming we were to get more than 4 characters for this hypothetical, would you think it'd be a swap your loadout on the one slot type deal, like PT if they could only pick one Pokemon? If that, then I definitely would love to see it. Two in one characters are always a good thing IMO as it just means more characters. Main concern would be what they'd do with Terry in this scenario. If he'd be included, would he have to be given more weaknesses to accommodate for the other characters or does Terry have enough weaknesses ATM. Granted, I don't play Terry much so someone more knowledgeable would be able to better judge this. Depends on whether Terry would fit into this and whether he'd have to be made more reliable or he gets included with other SNK characters and the whole roster gains similar buffs in regards to versatility as a result.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom