• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Banjo & Kazuya Mishima > Sephiroth.

Sorry pal, that's just fact.
There is nothing quite like a happy-go-lucky cartoony bear and a murderous demonic man.

this is something i wish got addressed more. I get that people have nostalgic connections to dixie, geno, and more but would they REALLY be fun in smash? do they really have moveset potential or unique mechanics? I think its very interesting how poeple claimed they would ALWAYS love or play banjo yet he has retained what appears to be the lowest playerbase of any dlc character (even lower than byleth) and i tihnk people find him boring or really dont like his design in smash. I think sakurai has done an incredible job realizing characters potential in their movesets and design in smash without having goal that aren't obtainable (special shoutouts to mythra, steveand kazuya design choices).
Dixie's hypothetical moveset and gameplay would be pretty easy to speculate on, since she'd an aerial focused character using her Helicopter Spin to slow down her fall speed temporarily. She'd probably be somewhat slower on the ground but faster in the air. Her Neutral Special would be the Bubblegum Popgun from Tropical Freeze, her Down Special would be her pounding the ground with her ponytail and the Side Special would most likely be some made up stuff original to Smash. The idea of a character who could control their descend by slowing down is certainly interesting. Someone like Bandana Dee would also be pretty simple but conceptually interesting since he'd be a small lightweight character with multiple jumps and a huge disjointed range with his spear.

I suspect you've not seem them when their support was in full swing. If you've only come to things after they got AT'd, that's not a very good picture of a character's potential performance. The thing is, a lot of them were deconfirmed pretty early during Ultimate's rollout.

There was a minute characters like Ashley and Skull Kid had quite a lot of demand this time around.
If someone like Skull Kid was the final character, tons of people would rejoice especially as Legend of Zelda hasn't had a unique newcomer character since Melee. There'd be people disappointed, but it would mostly be people who wanted other Zelda characters.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Dixie's hypothetical moveset and gameplay would be pretty easy to speculate on, since she'd an aerial focused character using her Helicopter Spin to slow down her fall speed temporarily. She'd probably be somewhat slower on the ground but faster in the air. Her Neutral Special would be the Bubblegum Popgun from Tropical Freeze, her Down Special would be her pounding the ground with her ponytail and the Side Special would most likely be some made up stuff original to Smash. The idea of a character who could control their descend by slowing down is certainly interesting.
They could also try implementing Donkey Kong Country's swap mechanics again if they wanted to.

Ivander

Smash Legend
It's what spawned Forest Rawest in the first place.

It came from NicoNicoDouga, so it's really not surprising if you never knew, it was mostly a Japanese meme.

The mid 2000's is when a lot of "Japanese memes" started becoming more well known in the west.
Ah, NicoNicoDouga, responsible for this monstrosity that I somehow memorized from start to finish. And yes, the whole song.
It's practically like the Ducktales theme to me, the one song that you feel like you don't remember everything, but the moment you start playing the song in your head, the rest of the song you feel like you're missing all comes back. But the Ducktales theme(TV version) is only around 1 minute. This song, every time I focus and play it in my head, takes away 10 minutes and 34 seconds of my life.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
Ah, NicoNicoDouga, responsible for this monstrosity that I somehow memorized from start to finish. And yes, the whole song.
It's practically like the Ducktales theme to me, the one song that you feel like you don't remember everything, but the moment you start playing the song in your head, the rest of the song you feel like you're missing all comes back. But the Ducktales theme(TV version) is only around 1 minute. This song, every time I focus and play it in my head, takes away 10 and a half minutes of my life.
This video's a legit part of my childhood, rofl.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master
Saw Discussion, and have 2 Things to say

-This may be a hot take, but there's no Way that Nintendo was the one that pushed for Joker (and also other characters like Terry and Banjo). Nintendo did choose the DLC yes, but that doesn't mean they were Push for all the characters

It's like if you went to your Friend's Uncle's house that supposedly had a Porsche for 1,000 Dollars. You get there, but instead of a Porsche, it's a Dodge Challenger. While it's not what you were trying to look for, a Dodge challenger for 1,000 Bucks is still good, so you Decide to choose it and pay for it anyway

And I think that's probably what happened with some of the characters in FP2, Like Joker, Terry, and Banjo. Nintendo still had to be down for the these characters to be in, meaning they had to have the merits to get into the Roster through DLC, so I'm not saying that These characters are lesser or anything. but I think there's a difference between those 3 and characters like Hero, Byleth, Steve, and Kazuya where Nintendo was explicitly mentioned as a reason those charcaters got in. I'm sure some of the characters Nintendo might have tried to priotized couldn't happen for whatever reasons, and I'm sure Sakurai had more of a say in the DLC Choosing they people make it out to be

-I heard talk about how Tracer's Mechanic would work. It reverses time to place her in a Position she was in Previously right.

This mechanic has been seen in a Fighting game before, with Geras from Mortal Kombat 11. I haven't played the game in a while, but I believe it works in the same way that Tracer's Time reverse is said to work. Also yeah with how the Replay system works in Smash, I think this mechanic should be able to be implemented in

Would it be balaneced is the question. Unlike Geras in MK11 who actually heals the damage he takes when he reverses Time, I assume Tracer would keep the Damage even if she reverse time, it just resets to Previous (hopefully better) Position for her. Using it also needs to Recharge the move, so you can't spam it all the time

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Sakurai clearly sees SMT and Persona as 2 different things. And even if that wasn't the case, Atlus definitely wouldn't agree with him. In any case he did say in that brief interview already posted before that Persona and SMT were different things.

Each series is pretty much their own beast, Joker being in Smash doesn't kill the chances for a SMT rep. Like, I don't see Nintendo being like "ok so let's add this SMT protag. Oh wait, that's right, SMT and Persona are the same. Let's cancel our deal with Atlus/Sega".

Dinoman96

Smash Master
I kind of wonder whether they'd actually use Tiny's classic design.
Well Smash Ultimate uses Tiny's original Rare era render for her spirit as opposed to the modern Paon design, so maybe?

At least for my idea of a DK64 tag team character like this, Tiny would essentially be the Squirtle of the group, being the smallest one who's quick and nimble when she needs to be. Obviously Chunky would be equivalent to Charizard and Lanky to Ivysaur.

Last edited:

UltimateCyborgOverlord

Smash Champion
Tinky, Chunky and Lanky would make for a neat tag team character tbh

Their down B would be the tag barrel from DK64

Tinky? If we're gonna get Teletubbies into this and have a stage with the scary baby in the sky, then... can we also get... the bear?

"I'M THE BEAR, I'M THE BEAR.... and I'm comiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiing"

And then an echo fighter with the scary lion

"I am the scary lion... and I'm looking for the bearrrrrrrrrr"

Scary Lion.png

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Well, they did use her Classic design for her Spirit, thankfully. Not exactly sure what they had in mind and ideas for her later design.
It should be noted that Teen Tiny was Nintendo's idea.

DS team on Tiny: "Tiny was not our idea, but simply a realigning of the Kong family at Nintendo."
I assume this is what went down: during the 2000s, Nintendo was beginning to implement the DKC/DK64 characters into Mario spinoffs and were internally redesigning them to fit in more in line with the greater Mario aesthetic. For example, here's the original Rare designs for Kritter

And here's Nintendo's

Obviously these were the designs that contractors/third parties like Paon, Namco and even Rare were to use. When it came to Tiny, they realized how redundant it was to have two pint sized girl monkeys with blonde pony tails with Dixie over there, so they decided to age her up to distinquish the two better, especially since they started appearing in games together, like in Diddy Kong Racing DS, DK Barrel Blast and Mario Super Sluggers.

MarioRaccoon

Smash Ace
I always visioned Dixie with Kiddy Kong as a pair, similary like Ice Climber, where you can switch between them with down B, trying to replicate DKC gameplay. You would cover the whole DKC trilogy.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
When it came to Tiny, they realized how redundant it was to have two pint sized girl monkeys with blonde pony tails with Dixie over there, so they decided to age her up to distinquish the two better, especially since they started appearing in games together, like in Diddy Kong Racing DS, DK Barrel Blast and Mario Super Sluggers.
Their mistake was not going into the lore and realizing that Tiny was the younger one of the two so now we have the older sibling:
1629929294333.png

and the younger one:
1629929312660.png

EDIT: To be honest they kinda don't even look like they're related.

Last edited:

UltimateCyborgOverlord

Smash Champion
I always visioned Dixie with Kiddy Kong as a pair, similary like Ice Climber, where you can switch between them with down B, trying to replicate DKC gameplay. You would cover the whole DKC trilogy.
I'm also pro Dixie and Kiddy as a pair, but I imagined them more like a Rosalina/Luma type thing where Rosalina's the fighter, Luma's the weapon per se? Like... Dixie is the fighter you control and she just chucks Kiddy all over.

B: Throw Kiddy as if he were a barrel

Side B: Ride Kiddy like a steel keg

Up B: Kiddy throws Dixie upwards for a recovery

Down B: Toss Kiddy into the air and watch him slam down for the kind of slam that breaks trap doors.

Final Smash: Unleash their Banana Bird collection to summon the Banana Bird Queen to drop an egg down upon the target

Icies style DK fighter... let him be the resident "weird character" and just get Kuff n Klout hahahaha
Kuff Klout.png

Trevenant

Smash Lord
On the topic of mechanics, I remember back in SM4SH thinking that Shulk's counter was kind of a copout as Vision had a lot more potential but just had them go the easy route with the counter. Thing is in Xenoblade, it's a form of clairvoyance and reading moves relating to events that hasn't happened yet would require some complex systems to be put in place. I know input lag and whatnot exists but if something less intrusive were to be incorporated on a similar medium, who could it fit best and how could it work? Using vision as an example but am curious for how people think something similar could function.

Edit: I guess foresight kind of too but in Xenoblade that functions identically to how it does in smash, in combat and not in cutscenes at least.. Oh, and also Psycho Mantis could work with a similar idea, however it be executed. I'd rather PM be the AT than Grey Fox for Metal Gear tbh

Last edited:

UltimateCyborgOverlord

Smash Champion
What am I looking at?
Two... erm... crocodiles (?) they attack in pairs and let loose a horrible scream when they get killed by a baby gorilla in footie pajamas. They're only in like... one level in the game if I remember right. Super rare, they aren't everywhere

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom