• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
So also
Has anuu to done else mentioned that if you look up peoples personal lists of biggest gaming villains, Sephiroth’s on almost all of them?
Also, isn’t reporting him a bit too much? Dude only gave an opinion (which I believe is wrong ofc) but he’s not doing anything crazy.
I am not picking on him or reporting him. Just wanted to say some things to him before.

ARandomFruit

Smash Journeyman
Literally all I said was that Smash fans are probably too young to remember Sephiroth or FF7 since the game is so old. Yes there are a lot of adults in the Smash fandom, but the game is still rated E10+. I doubt everyone saying that Sephiroth was hype actually cared that much about Sephiroth.
I don't get this logic. I'm younger than Final Fantasy 10 and I've still played and enjoyed FF7. Even if people were too young before Sephiroth came into Smash there was the FF7 Remake that was also popular that might've made the young youth of today know about Sephiroth if they didn't. I think some people need to realize that you can still play a game even if you weren't alive when it came out.

Shroob

Sup?
Smash fans are too young

That's why we have characters like Banjo and K.Rool, characters who hadn't appeared in over a decade to critically acclaimed fan reception.

Smash fans are pretending to love everything Sakurai gives us

That's why Byleth's reveal was 100% pleasant and not full of any strife whatsoever.

WahHahaha

Smash Ace
Smash fans are too young

That's why we have characters like Banjo and K.Rool, characters who hadn't appeared in over a decade to critically acclaimed fan reception.

Smash fans are pretending to love everything Sakurai gives us

That's why Byleth's reveal was 100% pleasant and not full of any strife whatsoever.
Yes, the majority of Smash's fanbase is young. It's an E10+ game on a popular console targeted towards children. You can't win an argument about this.

Of course people will be mad about Byleth. People were complaining about too many Fire Emblem characters even before him, it was inevitable.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I never made this argument at all and I don't know why people act like I did. All I said was a good number of people excited for Sephiroth don't know who he is and are pretending to be excited for him. FF7 is a very old game and Smash's core audience is young.
Sephiroth has made appearances in modern games (not the least of which being the new remake) and smash fans have already been introduced to the series via Cloud. It wouldn't be all that weird if they knew who he was despite his debut being 24 years ago, especially with how prolific Final Fantasy VII is.

Shroob

Sup?
Yes, the majority of Smash's fanbase is young. It's an E10+ game on a popular console targeted towards children. You can't win an argument about this.
I absolutely can because I literally debunked what you just said.

Your argument is as wet as toilet paper left out in the rain, and not a single person here agrees with you, yet despite people punching holes into your argument over and over again, you continue to swivel it around.

Take the L

It's done

WahHahaha

Smash Ace
Sephiroth has made appearances in modern games (not the least of which being the new remake) and smash fans have already been introduced to the series via Cloud. It wouldn't be all that weird if they knew who he was despite his debut being 24 years ago, especially with how prolific Final Fantasy VII is.
Tell me what Sephiroth has appeared in besides Final Fantasy games and KH. I don't even think he's been mentioned in most of the FF games.

WahHahaha

Smash Ace
I absolutely can because I literally debunked what you just said.

Your argument is as wet as toilet paper left out in the rain, and not a single person here agrees with you, yet despite people punching holes into your argument over and over again, you continue to swivel it around.

Take the L

It's done
You absolutely didn't debunk what I said by mentioning 2 requests that were basically only popular because old Smash fans were mentioning them in Brawl and Smash 4 and then the bandwagon carried over.

Like I said, the game is rated E10+ and it's on a nintendo console, the primary audience is children. If you want to debunk what I said then give me a stronger point than that.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
You absolutely didn't debunk what I said by mentioning 2 requests that were basically only popular because old Smash fans were mentioning themin Brawl and Smash 4 and then the bandwagon carried over.

Like I said, the game is rated E10+ and it's on a nintendo console, the primary audience is children. If you want to debunk what I said then give me a stronger point than that.
"People are pretending to be exciting about Sakurai because Daddy Sakurai can do no wrong."

"Except this time where people were NOT happy with what Daddy Sakurai gave them but uhhhhh, I'm going to ignore that and pretend that Smash fans are brainless sheep."

Bruh

WahHahaha

Smash Ace
"People are pretending to be exciting about Sakurai because Daddy Sakurai can do no wrong."

"Except this time where people were NOT happy with what Daddy Sakurai gave them but uhhhhh, I'm going to ignore that and pretend that Smash fans are brainless sheep."

Bruh
The ONE time that a Smash reveal had an overwhelmingly negative reaction was when they added a Fire Emblem character as the last character in FP2. Yes, one, that was the only time it ever happened. Every other time people were praising every reveal as the best thing to ever happen. Even corrin and Bayonetta didn't have an overwhelmingly negative reaction and I still see people standing up for Byleth and Corrin to this day.

So yes, this fandom will be happy over pretty much anything.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Let me extend an olive branch regarding Sephiroth.

I don't doubt that many people who celebrated hadn't played any version of FF7. It happens.

And I don't doubt that many people hadn't really given a ton of thought about Sephiroth in Smash. I never paid it much attention. My preference for the second FF7 character, if we got one, was Tifa. However, had you asked me what I thought about Seph in Smash, I would said "that'd be cool!", and I suspect many others were in that boat. Which is why, when it came to fruition, that was largely the reaction you saw.

Now, I'd also say, that the people who didn't know who Sephiroth was wasn't zero. But, those people wouldn't be those who popped off. Why so many people did pop off, well, remember what Sakurai claimed - that Sephiroth was the second most well known antagonist in gaming, behind only Bowser. So yes, the majority - I'd say vast majority - of people did know who Sephiroth is. Because FF7 is the JPRG, like how SMB is the platformer.

And there is going to be some degree of Smash fans celebrating whoever, but for a reveal like Sephiroth, some cursory knowledge of gaming's front and centre would answer why it was the way it was. Sephiroth is a big deal of a character, and not one that would greatly polarize like Steve or Jonesy. Six years ago Cloud showed up in Smash, and despite not being a great fixture of conversation beforehand, there was also a lot of rejoicing, because, well, it's Cloud.

WahHahaha

Smash Ace
Name one movie Spider-Man shows up in that isn't a Marvel movie. Oh you can't? I rest my case then.
The difference is that Spider Man was actually engraved in pop culture, Sephiroth never was. There are probably plenty of things that Spiderman appears in that aren't marvel movies, while Sephiroth has never actually gotten popular enough to reach outside of FF7's fanbase.

Theguy123

Smash Lord
I was gone for 1 hour. How have you guys managed to cause soo much commotion in that time. I come back and I see 3 pages worth of arguments and some geeza speaking foreign in this group

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Looks like it is time for me to abandon this ship. I might be back later if this thread is not gone.

I hope we can talk more about FP11 then.

WahHahaha

Smash Ace
Let me extend an olive branch regarding Sephiroth.

I don't doubt that many people who celebrated hadn't played any version of FF7. It happens.

And I don't doubt that many people hadn't really given a ton of thought about Sephiroth in Smash. I never paid it much attention. My preference for the second FF7 character, if we got one, was Tifa. However, had you asked me what I thought about Seph in Smash, I would said "that'd be cool!", and I suspect many others were in that boat. Which is why, when it came to fruition, that was largely the reaction you saw.

Now, I'd also say, that the people who didn't know who Sephiroth was wasn't zero. But, those people wouldn't be those who popped off. Why so many people did pop off, well, remember what Sakurai claimed - that Sephiroth was the second most well known antagonist in gaming, behind only Bowser. So yes, the majority - I'd say vast majority - of people did know who Sephiroth is. Because FF7 is the JPRG, like how SMB is the platformer.

And there is going to be some degree of Smash fans celebrating whoever, but for a reveal like Sephiroth, some cursory knowledge of gaming's front and centre would answer why it was the way it was. Sephiroth is a big deal of a character, and not one that would greatly polarize like Steve or Jonesy. Six years ago Cloud showed up in Smash, and despite not being a great fixture of conversation beforehand, there was also a lot of rejoicing, because, well, it's Cloud.
I agree with part of what you're saying, but you're still acting like the majority of the fandom didn't absolutely pop off over Sephiroth even though they didn't know who he was. I really don't think the majority of people were genuinely excited for him.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I don’t know how many of you remember Kittykorp Meowmix and the Brawlvault for Smash modding but my Sephiroth mod definitely shows there was interest for Sephiroth in Smash. Not to brag but it is among the most downloaded character mods at 21,585 downloads.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Tell me what Sephiroth has appeared in besides Final Fantasy games and KH. I don't even think he's been mentioned in most of the FF games.
Why does that matter? Smash fans already know what Final Fantasy is so Sephiroth only appearing in Final Fantasy stuff wouldn't be a reason as to why people don't know who he is. Furthermore, Kingdom Hearts also has a young demographic, so younger audiences would have been introduced to him that way.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
isn't it easier to assume the people who were excited for Sephiroth were either FF7 fans who liked him, people who didn't play FF7 but knew about him and liked his character (whether through seeing stuffs online or playing other games he appeared in), or just instantly thought he was cool instead of going through mental gymnastics?

Like yeah, a lot of children probably won't know him, I didn't know him either until I saw him and other FF7 stuff online, but most people who are getting excited for him are people who are very likely to know him lol I don't understand this argument.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom