• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Theguy123

Smash Lord
Would love to be wrong as every time someone is wrong there’s a valuable lesson that can be learned from it but I think we’re probably done with western reps for this pass.

Baba

Smash Journeyman
So, who here thinks we're getting a final smash character reveal in the direct next month? And I believe it'll be a character from the west since Banjo and Steve were released in the 1st half of Fall each year. My top 3 are Doomslayer, Crash, and Master Chief.
People seem to disagree with me but I'm still standing by my Game Awards prediction.
Sakurai has never said "It will be a while before the next announcement" before. I really think he was setting us up for an extra long wait this time.

Announce the character at TGA and release them shortly before the end of 2021. That's my prediction.

I hope for a western character too.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
So, who here thinks we're getting a final smash character reveal in the direct next month? And I believe it'll be a character from the west since Banjo and Steve were released in the 1st half of Fall each year. My top 3 are Doomslayer, Crash, and Master Chief.
Fairly certain we are. There's a pattern where general or Smash directs follows after Pokemon Directs.

We'll likely be seeing it in the first week or second week of September.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
People seem to disagree with me but I'm still standing by my Game Awards prediction.
Sakurai has never said "It will be a while before the next announcement" before. I really think he was setting us up for an extra long wait this time.

Announce the character at TGA and release them shortly before the end of 2021. That's my prediction.

I hope for a western character too.
I don't expect a wait that long unless the character is on the level of Steve in terms of complexity.

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
I’m just saying, it would be hilarious if in the September direct they tease Ultimate’s final presentation… with one last guessing game
Man, people really didn’t like the ARMs game did they? Kinda glad I wasn’t around for it cause those who took part seem to have PTSD from it.

Wasn’t that debunked as a mistranslation by someone who speaks Japanese?

Baba

Smash Journeyman
Man, people really didn’t like the ARMs game did they? Kinda glad I wasn’t around for it cause those who took part seem to have PTSD from it.

Oh was it? I hadn't heard that.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
I'm also kind of worried that the new evolutions and forms for this game will just straight up never be seen again, but hopefully that doesn't happen.
Lets Go and SwSh had Alolan forms from SM appear for any Pokemon that was already present in their dex, and evolutions have always been ported over if their previous forms are present. So unless the line is just not present in the Pokedex at all, they'll be present in each game from Legends onwards.

Theguy123

Smash Lord
If they make us wait till December for a character then I’ll be expecting WOL dlc or a bonus character. I can’t see any justification for making us wait 6 months.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

I feel like they could make another guessing game less frustrating. Maybe all the characters have vastly different abilities (ARMS is a game where everyone has one thing in common and that’s extendable arms/appendages which led to the infamous Hero Sitch with Spring Man, Ribbon Girl et al proposals despite their core styles being different)

or it could be something like this

or maybe even a whole company guessing game. Idk

FreeFox

Smash Lord
I loved the direct. I want to buy the games as always. The new mechanics look interesting at the very least.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
If they make us wait till December for a character then I’ll be expecting WOL dlc or a bonus character. I can’t see any justification for making us wait 6 months.
I won’t put any stock in a new character after CP11 since Sakurai explicitly said no more new characters after that. I could at the bare minimum see some mode additions though, like Very Hard and/or 2P for WoL

or using the effects for possession/clone fighters like in Hero’s trailer but both alignments, outside of WoL

or also a three stage bonus pack with music for each. New stages, not returning ones

like a Xeno X or TWEWY stage with music from said games…

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
I'd hope people thinking epic hypebombs can come at the end is a joke. And no, Bayonetta was not an epic hype bomb when Cloud came before her.
Why are we still acting like all DLC has to follow a rigid pattern? FP1 was 3rd Party exclusive until literally the end. Bayonetta, while not as big as Cloud, was still a big third party inclusion. Corrin was the only new First Party inclusion in 4s DLC.

Its not like we’re able to draw definitive comparisons for any other slots. FP1 started with Joker and FP2 got Min Min. Why exactly is it a joke to keep options on the table and not assume we’re gonna get White Bread incarnate as CP11?

Last edited:

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
.we still wanting some hard reads?

There will be no content whatsoever after fp11. Just balance patches of which I predict at least one major final patch to iron out the eccentricities of Kazuya and to address whatever mechanical issues the final character introduces.

The final pick will be a gen 8 Pokemon.

The reveal will be made during the September direct with the character being available in October with a dedicated Sakurai Presents also in October.

XorahnGaia

Smash Journeyman
I don't see another guessing game happening.

If Nintendo is in another situation where they want to reveal a character but they can't show footage and/or the character is months away, I think they will still tell us who that character is without dancing around it, like they did with Terry.

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
I speculate that we might get most requested character as Crash.
Since Crash is most anticipated 3rd Party Character for smash, and also Crash's Birthday is in September, coinciding with Nintendo Direct, so this totally means that Crash is Possibly joining Smash.
Well, you're... not wrong! Crash indeed is possibly joining Smash. There are very many characters in fact, who are possibly joining Smash.
Now, if only anniversaries mattered...

Last edited:

Theguy123

Smash Lord
If this character does take some time and isn’t revealed in this upcoming direct then I could see it being Layton as I’d imagine he’d need a stage rework of some sort.

That’s not me being bias even though it looks it. I’d just imagine the hint coins would act as a gimmick in his moveset and would need to be implemented in each character for specific amounts of damage percentages depending on how much damage is done to the opponent.

and then on top of that they’d probably be needed to be reworked into each stage background element if the magnifying glass was apart of his move which I’d assume would work as an attack but also a way to find hint coins.

im confident in Layton being the last character but I’d probably be more confident if we get past this direct with no actual character announcement.

Layton from his games assuming they take the creative root would probably require a stage rework of some sort. They Could take the lazy root though.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
But the fact there’s three empty stage spots after the pass ends, makes me confident well at least see bonus stages without a character, like how it was with 4

did the bonus DLC stages in 4 come with music? I can’t recall if they did

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Why exactly is it a joke to keep options on the table
Because they don't want to keep options on the table, just pray that not moving on from Crash will be justified. Those that go "anything can happen" don't truly believe that, just want to ignore the fact that the pass has already sold.

Furthermore if you look in the game's data you'll see that the fighters in FP2 are arranged as Min Min, Steve, Sephiroth, Kazuya, Pyra, Mythra. They already planned to have XC2 be the wind down from the start.

Last edited:

FreeFox

Smash Lord
Does anyone like the idea of a pokemon trainer based on the one of legends arceus? Like s/he could use the mount pokemon for some attacks and be a more direct kind of fighter compared to Red.

MarioRaccoon

Smash Ace
Legends can be an interesting game, sadly it still looks a bit rough, though I think its better than pokémon sword/shield wild areas. There are lots of details left to be known but that game releases in 5 months so there is time to tell more about it. I imagine Legends will get paid dlc later next year (just only one expansion of roughly the same size of one of the 2 S/S DLCs)

btw, pokémon company did went really wild this generation with pokémon products. By early 2022, there will be 4 different RPG products.

• Lets Go for people who got (re)introduced thanks to Go
  • Sword/Shield that is the new gen experience with new features and mechanics
  • BD/SP as a (mostly) 1:1 remakes for nostalgic/retro players
  • Legends Arceus for those who wants a BOTW/MH experience mashup with pokémon.

Thats good because games don’t overlap too much each other and can continue selling.

Next stop: Nintendo direct, the final battle has just started.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Because they don't want to keep options on the table, just pray that not moving on from Crash will be justified.
Crash doesn't even get mentioned that often anymore.

EDIT: And the last time he was brought up people kind of didn't want him anymore, or were at least bummed out by the situation.

Those that go "anything can happen" don't truly believe that...
Maybe not literally anything, but enough that there's just no way of predicting what will happen and we'll likely be thrown off regardless of the end result.

Furthermore if you look in the game's data you'll see that the fighters in FP2 are arranged as Min Min, Steve, Sephiroth, Kazuya, Pyra, Mythra. They already planned to have XC2 be the wind down from the start.
Yeah, which is why they were released in that order as well...

beyond that, you can't look at just Pyra/Mythra and say "yep, they're winding down the hype". There's just not enough data for that.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
There's just not enough data for that.
And what data is there that we could get a big third party as CP11? "They keep breaking the rules"? Why does THAT have to be the rule CP11 breaks? Because Bandana Dee won't give you enough likes on Twitter?

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Well, you're... not wrong! Crash indeed is possibly joining Smash. There are very many characters in fact, who are possibly joining Smash.
Now, if only anniversaries mattered...
Basically this.

Anniversaries aren't important for Smash reveals. I guess if they see they're able to announce or release a character close to an anniversary, they might do an effort... but that's it.

Not to say, there are always anniversaries. We could argue Phoenix Wright is CP11 because 2021 is the 20th anniversary for Ace Attorney, to name an example.

Because they don't want to keep options on the table, just pray that not moving on from Crash will be justified. Those that go "anything can happen" don't truly believe that, just want to ignore the fact that the pass has already sold.
Dude Crash hasn't really seen a lot of talk recently. At least not more than other characters. It was certainly true that he always got a lot of talk but since Kazuya's reveal it's not like that situation hasn't changed.

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion

This honestly just sounds like one assumption built on top of another assumption.

Pyra and Mythra are after Kazuya in the files? It absolutely 1000% must be them being planned to come out after Kazuya to wind down Hype.

They weren’t even released in that order either meaning someone would’ve had to have a change of heart at Nintendo.

We’ve gotten big third party reveals at the end of DLC. Look at Bayonetta. Sure, shes not as big as Cloud. But is there any character thats gonna be bigger than Steve?

Last edited:

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
I am looking at Bayonetta, and I'm seeing a franchise that struggles to have million sellers.
And yet you miss the point. If the idea is that all Third Parties have to qualify for CP11 by not selling as well as another character beforehand, I doubt any characters series is going to outsell Minecraft.

Last edited:

volbound1700

Smash Master
Tough question.... They all have a ton of content in various ways above and beyond their playable character reps. But I still feel Sega is the one kinda left in the lurch.
Sega has three franchises represented: Bayonetta, Persona, and Sonic.

Konami has two franchises represented: Castlevania and Metal Gear

Out of all of them, Konami has probably the best argument. We are definitely not getting anything Square-Enix as they have already gotten two DLC characters.

Edit: Square Enix technically only has two franchises as well (Dragon Quest and FF) although they have gotten a lot of love this DLC pact. I would argue Capcom has three with Street Fighter, Megaman, and Monster Hunter.

Basically this.

Anniversaries aren't important for Smash reveals. I guess if they see they're able to announce or release a character close to an anniversary, they might do an effort... but that's it.

Not to say, there are always anniversaries. We could argue Phoenix Wright is CP11 because 2021 is the 20th anniversary for Ace Attorney, to name an example.

Dude Crash hasn't really seen a lot of talk recently. At least not more than other characters. It was certainly true that he always got a lot of talk but since Kazuya's reveal it's not like that situation hasn't changed.
Regarding Crash. I really, really wanted Crash but I feel like his chances are pretty much over. I don't see him being the last DLC type character. We would have likely gotten him earlier.

Not sure if Nintendo didn't want him or if it is a hold-up at Activision.

Last edited:

SNEKeater

Smash Master
I am looking at Bayonetta, and I'm seeing a franchise that struggles to have million sellers.
I mean, yeah, but sales =/= popularity. At least, popularity within the Smash community. And Bayonetta was definitely a popular request back then. So yeah, I totally think she qualifies as a "hype pick", even if I don't really like using that term lol.

Banjo and Ridley aren't as big as Cloud but for a lot of Smash fans they were more hype for Cloud.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
And yet you miss the point. If the idea is that all Third Parties have to qualify for CP11 by not selling as well as another character beforehand, I doubt any characters series is going to outsell Minecraft.
Oh, it's not just that they have to sell less than any random franchise in FP2, it's that they have to be less popular than all of them. Just like how FF is less popular than Minecraft, Tekken is less popular than FF, XC is less popular than Tekken.

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
Oh, it's not just that they have to sell less than any random franchise in FP2, it's that they have to be less popular than all of them. Just like how FF is less popular than Minecraft, Tekken is less popular than FF, XC is less popular than Tekken.
And ARMS is bigger than Minecraft. Gotcha.

FreeFox

Smash Lord
Sega has three franchises represented: Bayonetta, Persona, and Sonic.

Konami has two franchises represented: Castlevania and Metal Gear

Out of all of them, Konami has probably the best argument. We are definitely not getting anything Square-Enix as they have already gotten two DLC characters.

Edit: Square Enix technically only has two franchises as well (Dragon Quest and FF) although they have gotten a lot of love this DLC pact. I would argue Capcom has three with Street Fighter, Megaman, and Monster Hunter.
I dont understand this notion that all third party companies should be balanced and the one with the least content should obviously deserve more. Like none of them are equal in any regard. Some have more music than others. Some have gotten no new fighters for DLC. Some have lots of mi costumes. Not to mention that the company with the least representation in this arbirtrary arguments is always left out, SNK.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom