• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

OmegaRS

Smash Apprentice
I think Sephiroth showed just how impossible it is to predict what's coming next. No one thought it possible, yet here we are. I was so sure Rex would be one of the final 3, but now I really don't think it's happening. So now I think my prediction for the final 3 is gonna go something like this:

9. The Knight / Hornet (Hollow Knight)
10. Doom Slayer (Doom)
11. Crash Bandicoot (Possibly with Coco)

Here's my reasoning:
Hollow Knight is an indie game, yes, however it is a fairly popular indie game with a new title being introduced in the series sometime soon. We've had more popular indie reps like Sans and Cuphead entered into the series as Mii costumes which seemed like it was going to be a trend, but it quickly subsided when there was no other deluxe indie Mii costume for the next 3 patches. I feel like if any indie rep is going to take a spot at this point, it'll be The Knight or Hornet.

Doom Slayer I think is a long time coming. Doom is pretty much the father of first person shooters, a genre not really represented in Super Smash Bros. If there were going to be a face for the genre (One who helped define FPS games), it would be the Doom Slayer, James Bond, or Master Chief. One absolutely cannot happen (James Bond), Master Chief is a Microsoft character that's never appeared on a Nintendo console, leaving Doom Slayer.

Crash, again, is a long time coming. Mario had two rivals in the early 90s; one for his 2D games (Sonic) and one for his 3D games (Crash). Crash, like Mario and Sonic, had worldwide popularity and was the unofficial mascot of Playstation in the early days and now just drifts to all consoles much like Sonic does. Of course one of the biggest cases for Crash is that he had sizeable popularity even in Japan despite being a western made character, much more than you can say for his later counterpart Spyro (Who was completely ruined in Japan). It's a good opportunity to add in Coco as well since she plays identically to Crash in the most recent games (Only difference being she uses a butt stomp rather than a belly flop)

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
I have to say I'm of two minds on getting additional third party characters from existing franchises.

On one hand, stuff like Street Fighter, Mega Man, Sonic, Metal Gear, and Castlevania have so much fertile ground to get other fighters from; ones with genuinely fresh mechanics that would make them valuable additions to Smash.

On the other hand though, as someone who still feels certain Nintendo franchises feel underrepresented, seeing third party franchises get more brand new characters when the Fighter Passes have only added one new fighter from a first party IP that already had characters (via Byleth)? It can't help but be feel unfortunate that certain Nintendo series don't have the chance to double dip in terms of content. It isn't unfair, but I'd be lying if said it wouldn't feel like salt in the wound a bit.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I have to say I'm of two minds on getting additional third party characters from existing franchises.

On one hand, stuff like Street Fighter, Mega Man, Sonic, Metal Gear, and Castlevania have so much fertile ground to get other fighters from; ones with genuinely fresh mechanics that would make them valuable additions to Smash.

On the other hand though, as someone who still feels certain Nintendo franchises feel underrepresented, seeing third party franchises get more brand new characters when the Fighter Passes have only added one new fighter from a first party IP that already had characters (via Byleth)? It can't help but be feel unfortunate that certain Nintendo series don't have the chance to get double dip in terms of content. It isn't unfair, but I'd be lying if said it wouldn't feel like salt in the wound a bit.
The answer here is that we should get both.

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Since we are posting our boys for this new thread, let me insert mine for good luck.

PW 2.jpeg
Crash Ba.jpeg

Been playing through the Bioshock series and think a character from there would be an awesome add to Smash. Where do we think the series stacks up among the western reps?
I think Bioshock has a decent chance considering how iconic it is and how critically acclaimed the first and third games in particular are. Though I think Dragonborn and Crash are the top western candidates as of now.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
All I'll say to start is that I'm interested to see where Capcom speculation goes from here.

Between speculation over the MH costumes, MH (Rise promotion, World being a breakout hit), Dante (Itsuno's comment and the ports), Chun-Li (the Tales of/Chun-Li rumor, Sephiroth breaking a previously held observation that held her back), Wright (the AA information from the data leak, a beloved favorite in speculation) and even Arthur (Resurrection) I see a lot of expectations on at least one of them joining the roster. It'll be fun to see which one people eventually land on as we get closer to FP9 and who actually manages to take the invitation, and if it even arrives at their door.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
I think Sephiroth showed just how impossible it is to predict what's coming next. No one thought it possible, yet here we are. I was so sure Rex would be one of the final 3, but now I really don't think it's happening. So now I think my prediction for the final 3 is gonna go something like this:

9. The Knight / Hornet (Hollow Knight)
10. Doom Slayer (Doom)
11. Crash Bandicoot (Possibly with Coco)

Here's my reasoning:
Hollow Knight is an indie game, yes, however it is a fairly popular indie game with a new title being introduced in the series sometime soon. We've had more popular indie reps like Sans and Cuphead entered into the series as Mii costumes which seemed like it was going to be a trend, but it quickly subsided when there was no other deluxe indie Mii costume for the next 3 patches. I feel like if any indie rep is going to take a spot at this point, it'll be The Knight or Hornet.

Doom Slayer I think is a long time coming. Doom is pretty much the father of first person shooters, a genre not really represented in Super Smash Bros. If there were going to be a face for the genre (One who helped define FPS games), it would be the Doom Slayer, James Bond, or Master Chief. One absolutely cannot happen (James Bond), Master Chief is a Microsoft character that's never appeared on a Nintendo console, leaving Doom Slayer.

Crash, again, is a long time coming. Mario had two rivals in the early 90s; one for his 2D games (Sonic) and one for his 3D games (Crash). Crash, like Mario and Sonic, had worldwide popularity and was the unofficial mascot of Playstation in the early days and now just drifts to all consoles much like Sonic does. Of course one of the biggest cases for Crash is that he had sizeable popularity even in Japan despite being a western made character, much more than you can say for his later counterpart Spyro (Who was completely ruined in Japan). It's a good opportunity to add in Coco as well since she plays identically to Crash in the most recent games (Only difference being she uses a butt stomp rather than a belly flop)
Sadly, there's one fatal flaw with your logic: Nintendo is physically incapable of ending Smash speculation on a high note. In Ultimate alone, we had Ken and Incineroar as the final base game characters, and FP1 had Byleth as its final character. How do we know FP2's final character will be any different?

AinsOoalGown

Smash Apprentice
Was gonna fight the Sephiroth challenge with Cloud for the lore but decided to have some fun first and ended up alola whipping him to death with Incineroar on very hard... It was funnier that way anyway

That was abrupt. Hayabusa is definitely FP9 btw.
I want Hayabusa for FP10 tehn so 9 can be a mascot like Rayman or Crash for the Sephiroth css contrast

Last edited:

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
Haha, "stacked".

Wait, you're talking about Senran Kagura, right?
I’m being as unironic as I can be. I know it’s impossible, but it’s still nice to daydream about the possibilities. I’m still welcoming to anybody and everybody in Smash.

Also, thanks for pointing out the pun to me, I don’t even realize it half the time.

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
I’m being as unironic as I can be. I know it’s impossible, but it’s still nice to daydream about the possibilities. I’m still welcoming to anybody and everybody in Smash.
I wasn't trying to imply that was a bad thing. Heck, one of my pipe dream picks is Billy Hatcher, a character who Sega themselves have forgotten exists. I was just asking for clarification, is all.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
So we know that existing 3rd party series, at least base game ones, can expand. How would you build on the other base game series?

Me personally,

Sonic the Hedgehog
Character- Tails
Stage- Chemical Plant
Music Selection- Remixes and lots of them.
Spirits- Classic versions of Sonic characters

Mega Man
Character- Roll
Stage- Block Man's Level
Music Selection- Where the Wind Blows from MvC, tracks from Mega Man 11
Spirits- More robot masters

Pac-Man
Character- Ms. Pac-Man (figure out your legal crap already Namco)
Stage- Ms. Pac-Maze
Music and Spirit Selection- Everything for all the Pac-Man games Namco pretended didn't exist like Pac-Man World

Street Fighter
Character- Chun-li
Stage- Chinese Market
Music- Tracks from games other than SF2.
Spirits- More fighters from later games

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
I wasn't trying to imply that was a bad thing. Heck, one of my pipe dream picks is Billy Hatcher, a character who Sega themselves have forgotten exists. I was just asking for clarification, is all.
Never was accusing you of it. Let’s just keep on holding on to hope for those pipe dreams. You’ve got a pretty good one, I’d love to give the game a try someday.

spicynun

Smash Journeyman
All I'll say to start is that I'm interested to see where Capcom speculation goes from here.

Between speculation over the MH costumes, MH (Rise promotion, World being a breakout hit), Dante (Itsuno's comment and the ports), Chun-Li (the Tales of/Chun-Li rumor, Sephiroth breaking a previously held observation that held her back), Wright (the AA information from the data leak, a beloved favorite in speculation) and even Arthur (Resurrection) I see a lot of expectations on at least one of them joining the roster. It'll be fun to see which one people eventually land on as we get closer to FP9 and who actually manages to take the invitation, and if it even arrives at their door.
Agreed. I don't see how people can pinpoint which character is most likely because you could make an argument for so many potential Capcom reps.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Well since we have a new thread. May as well put my input regarding current DLC.

I think we'll at the very least be getting a Capcom rep. Whether it's Monster Hunter-related or not is to be seen though I'm still predicting Sakurai and Nintendo are gonna surprise us with Palicos coming with the Monster Hunter Miis.

Hoping Amaterasu or Phoenix Wright though.

Oh hey, a brand new thread!

So, I just took a closer look at the Chun-Leak (nice name btw, lol). From what i can tell so far, there's nothing really going against it (except that it's from 5chan but iirc we got the famous thumbs up Ken leak from 4chan back in the pre-release days so yeah, it is indeed possible to find a needle in a haystack apparently).

Hard to believe that the characters mentionned (Steve, Hero/Erdrick, Sephiroth) are all lucky guesses tbh... but on the other hand, with the volume of '''leaks''' coming from 4/5chan, ultimately, one of them could have been right by accident (because infinite monkey theorem).

Thing is, assuming this is legit and all, it's still not a direct leak for the rest of DLC, more like leaked info so still very much up to interpretation.

But anyway like Shroob Shroob said, i think it's definitely worth keeping an eye on, at least until it is properly debunked.

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
nightmare has the potential of being a super fun character... maybe because i find soul calibur a super fun game... (Please give us season 3 alreadyyyy)
That being said.. i feel that if he ends being a stance figter (which would be super cool) he likely is going to take his stances from soul calibur 2 since there he still was more of sigfried gamepay wise (the nightmare / Sigfried split happened in SC 3 and from there the developers starting giving nightmare a more unique style). If he takes his SC2 stances, i hope that he can implement some of sigfrieds posterior attacks from that stances.. there is a super cool running attack while using the sword as a shield from the crouching stance :D.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom