• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Theguy123

Smash Lord
It didn't, however, have Min Min or anything else ARMS-related.
Which is why I think it’s gonna be interesting to see if it’s real or not because min min was a very very late in house decision from the Nintendo and sakurai, Rex was considered but dropped and heichachi was considered but dropped in favour of kazuya so it’ll be interesting to see if this was all real or not.

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master
Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
inb4 the final character's from a giant af series that sold or shipped at least 100 million copies globally

Also Theguy123 Theguy123 I don't think there's any evidence to suggest that Min Min was a late in house decision. Source, if you don't mind?
There aren’t many viable options from that range in my opinion. Assassin’s Creed and Resident Evil are probably the top contenders. I wonder how service games like LoL and WoW/Hearthstone compare to these?

Last edited:

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero

More Metroid love from Nintendo UK.

Oh boy gee golly whiz, would be awfully nice to be able to play Fusion, Samus Returns, or a modern version of NES Metroid (cough Zero Mission) on the Switch wouldn't it? Considering you are releasing a game in a series that many people want to be able to have context to if they haven't been able to play all the past entries before and the sales of this game might determine the fate of the series.

And at the end of the day, if you refuse to let people purchase your retro games, they'll just find other ways to get them....

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

Oh boy gee golly whiz, would be awfully nice to be able to play Fusion, Samus Returns, or a modern version of NES Metroid (cough Zero Mission) on the Switch wouldn't it? Considering you are releasing a game in a series that many people want to be able to have context to if they haven't been able to play all the past entries before and the sales of this game might determine the fate of the series.

And at the end of the day, if you refuse to let people purchase your retro games, they'll just find other ways to get them....
It's ok, they said they don't care if they get money or not for their games so yar har fiddle dee dus a pirate life for us

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
Going into the final character it’s gonna be interesting to see if the 40 name list leak is real or not. I’m on the idea that it’s not real but there’s still the possibility that it is since to be fair it’s called the whole of fighter pass 1 and Steve.

I don’t really want it to be real because I’d rather go into the last character surprised but if it’s real then we probably already have an idea of who it’ll come down to. Hope it’s not real though.
Even if the last character is one of the list it doesn't really tell us if the list was real or not. When you make a list of 40 characters, it's pretty obvious that you're going to get most of the character right.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Endermen can't swim.
You don't even need to swim if you're that close to land. You just walk on the sea. Especially if it is the Pacific or near an island, which have long coast decks.

But yes, I'm analyzing it too much.
Even if the last character is one of the list it doesn't really tell us if the list was real or not. When you make a list of 40 characters, it's pretty obvious that you're going to get most of the character right.
I don't believe the list leak is real- but getting that many right, even with 40 characters, is not an easy task. Have you not seen large lists people made of what they think will happen, getting...maybe sometimes...two correct?

Last edited:

Adrianette Bromide

Smash Lord
I'm gonna spout 40 names right now that could be fighter 11. Screencap this SmashBoards for if I am wrong, I must do a pushup for every fighter in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate!

Note: This is just for funsies.

• Phoenix Wright
  • Crash Bandicoot
  • Ashley
  • Bandana Waddle Dee
  • Heavy

• King Boo
  • Waluigi
  • Raiden (Metal Gear Solid)
  • Demi-fiend
  • Chun-Li

• Ezio
  • Rayman
  • Yuri Lowell
  • Chorus Kids
  • 2B

• SwSh rep (there's too many to be specific)
  • Sol Badguy
  • Sandbag
  • Phantasy Star rep
  • Adol

• Rean
  • BOTW Zelda
  • Porky Minch
  • Monster Hunter
  • Tracer

• Sergeant Cortez
  • Officer Howard
  • Arle Nadja
  • Kiryu Kazuma
  • Jeanne

• Octoling
  • Hades
  • Dixie Kong
  • Laura Croft
  • Sam (Death Stranding)

• Frisk
  • Impostor (Among Us)
  • The Knight (Hollow Knight)
  • Jonesy
  • Master Chief

Last edited:

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
You don't even need to swim if you're that close to land. You just walk on the sea. Especially if it is the Pacific or near an island, which have long coast decks.

But yes, I'm analyzing it too much.
Its not just that they can’t swim. Enderman are actively damaged by being touched by water.
The real reason they shouldn’t be on the island is that they can teleport.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Depends if it's on Nintendo's interests, personally I don't think we'll get anything from a new company this pass.

Companies like Bethesda or Ubisoft could happen though because they already have some involvement with the game

I've been considering that the last one indeed could be the oddball, hence the reason why there's an extra slot
Banking for Sora if we do get a full on fanservicey pick

True, but that shouldn't automatically discredit the validity of the theory itself, nor the arguments that people make (if they are valid). I don't think that people can suddenly say that none of the fighters in FP2 can fit that theme.
I also hate to repeat myself but here it goes;
-ARMS and XC2: planned for base
-Steve: 5 years, although he seems to be the biggest outlier
-Sephiroth: fixed FF7's lackluster rep
-Kazuya: Sakurai wanted Tekken in Sm4sh
I don't see how 'lackluster rep' has anything to do with a second chances theory.
One could argue content was held off from Final Fantasy, to wait for Sephiroth. There is logic there.
But saying they couldn't get anything when they started Smash, and that, miraculously, they could with another character added, does not make up a second chance. If they wanted to add more FF music, if that was the only goal, they clearly could get it, and could have just added it to base game. It isn't a 'second chance.'

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I'm gonna spout 40 names right now that could be fighter 11. Screencap this SmashBoards for if I am wrong, I must do a pushup for every fighter in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate!

Note: This is just for funsies.

• Phoenix Wright
  • Crash Bandicoot
  • Ashley
  • Bandana Waddle Dee
  • Heavy

• King Boo
  • Waluigi
  • Raiden (Metal Gear Solid)
  • Demi-fiend
  • Chun-Li

• Ezio
  • Rayman
  • Yuri Lowell
  • Chorus Kids
  • 2B

• SwSh rep (there's too many to be specific)
  • Sol Badguy
  • Sandbag
  • Phantasy Star rep
  • Adol

• Rean
  • BOTW Zelda
  • Porky Minch
  • Monster Hunter
  • Tracer

• Sergeant Cortez
  • Officer Howard
  • Arle Nadja
  • Kiryu Kazuma
  • Jeanne

• Octoling
  • Hades
  • Dixie Kong
  • Laura Croft
  • Sam (Death Stranding)

• Frisk
  • Impostor (Among Us)
  • The Knight (Hollow Knight)
  • Jonesy
  • Master Chief
It’s funny how few characters we share. I don’t think any of these made my top 20 although Dixie Kong and Officer Howard were close.

I do 40 pushups everyday so that wouldn’t be much a bet on my part lol. I’ll try to throw together a list of 40 on my break, that sounds like fun.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Yeah, Prime 4 is the one that has been generating expectation for years and assuming it's really good, which should be the case, it will easily surpass Dread and any other Metroid game I think.

Being a 3D game, in first person, and all of that... well, probably means a bigger budget, and for that and other reasons more people will look into a Prime game rather than a 2D game, unfortunately.

I think Dread making 2-4 million would be possible and fantastic news. While Nintendo probably has higher expectations for Prime 4, which they will probably market more. That's where I'm a bit worried about because while it is definitely going to be the best selling game in the whole franchise, I don't know if it will be able to achieve 7 million for example. 5 or 6, yeah, I could see that. But more than that.... I feel that the game would need to be really, really good, like, platform defining title, a strong word by mouth and made it more into the mainstream, kinda like what happened with Breath of the Wild.
I doubt Prime 4 will reach 7m sales as well, but I think 5m is a realistic target provided Retro and Nintendo play their cards right, and it'd be a huge success if it can reach that. I don't think Metroid's aim should be to get up all the way where it can hang out with Mario and Zelda, that's just not going to happen, but if Dread and Prime 4 can make for two successes in a row, the series will have comfortably established itself as one of Nintendo's B-tier franchises again, which would guarantee the series' future. Hell, if the numbers we're talking about were to become a reality, it'd put Metroid well ahead of Fire Emblem and Xenoblade's most successful entries on the Switch (2.87m and 1.92m respectively), and those are franchises where it's only a question of when they'll get new installments, and not whether they're gonna happen at all.

All of this is so far off into the future that it's probably too early to speculate about though. For now I'm just hoping Dread does well, if Metroid as a series already has a lot to prove, it's especially tough for the 2D installments, which are always going to sell less than the Prime games do.

Last edited:

Theguy123

Smash Lord
inb4 the final character's from a giant af series that sold or shipped at least 100 million copies globally

Also Theguy123 Theguy123 I don't think there's any evidence to suggest that Min Min was a late in house decision. Source, if you don't mind?
I could be wrong, I’d have to dig for it but I’m pretty sure sakurai said in his presentation or column that he writes, that min min was a late in house decision between him and Nintendo. He said min min was decided on after they decided to make the fighters pass. I could be wrong but I’ll go look for the source and post it when If find it

FJA147

Smash Cadet
My thoughts on the last character is it depends on whether it is first or third party. Because if it is first it was probably Nintendo throwing in character last minute probably due to seeing how popular the character or just as promotion. If it’s third party it was probably the company bringing up a character during negotiations and Nintendo deciding near the end that they also wanted that character and getting it near the end when was the pass was almost finalized.

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
I could be wrong, I’d have to dig for it but I’m pretty sure sakurai said in his presentation or column that he writes, that min min was a late in house decision between him and Nintendo. He said min min was decided on after they decided to make the fighters pass. I could be wrong but I’ll go look for the source and post it when If find it
Ya know if that's true, that that's for the sure the fighter Sakurai could have been referring to when he said "Looks like there's one more fighter than last time!" in the Byleth presentation.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Aloy (from Horizon: Zero Dawn) is being added to Genshin Impact
Fall Guys is no stranger to weird nonsensical crossovers, but THIS caught me by surprise.

It's the first time Genshin has ever done a crossover like this. Before, all we had was the occasional promotion with certain brands in China or Japan.

Tbh I'm not into that at all because I don't care for Horizon, but there is something to be said about how Sony is slowly opening up to this stuff - Aloy will be available for free in other platforms too, it's just that PS4 players will get her first.

LAA9000

Smash Journeyman
Slippi.gg
JUST#956
3DS FC
0361-9069-2936
Switch FC
SW-5393-4946-0209
Aloy will be avialble to Genshin players on all platforms, so that's cool.

I saw people saying Link could happen too, lol I don't know about that one. Maybe ig
In the rare case that Link gets added, he'd have to be exclusive to the Switch version, which is taking so long to release it's become a joke among players.

Of course, getting him would require MiHoYo to negotiate a deal with Nintendo, which could mean... :4pacman:

Jocario Zero

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-2327-1796-5400
In my opinion

Unless Nintendo is willing to back out of a formerly made deal due to certain unfortunate circumstances, then I think getting content from them is still possible.

Remember that totally off theory that Tracer from OW was supposed to be Challenger Pack 5 but was scrapped last minute and replaced with Byleth because of the Blizzard-Hong Kong controversy? Yes, that was a theory, apparently...
Aaronitmar made a video once claiming the same.

His source: "You have to trust me on this one." (Not the exact quote but it was pretty much this...yes, really.)

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Which is why I think it’s gonna be interesting to see if it’s real or not because min min was a very very late in house decision from the Nintendo and sakurai, Rex was considered but dropped and heichachi was considered but dropped in favour of kazuya so it’ll be interesting to see if this was all real or not.
If anything there's evidence going against the idea that Min Min was a late decision. The complete lack of ARMS music in the base game despite both Spring Man being an Assist Trophy and many other smaller (and/or newer) games getting music can't be overlooked; the latter, especially, kinda shows they probably planned a second pass earlier than we think, with an ARMS character among the choices.

And considering the only time Sakurai has veered from a plan that severely was with Sonic in Brawl, in an age before Nintendo did DLC, there would need to be a literal mountain of evidence to say Min Min was a late addition. Anything short of a literal quote from Sakurai just wouldn't cut it.

Inferno7

Smash Journeyman
I don't see how 'lackluster rep' has anything to do with a second chances theory.
One could argue content was held off from Final Fantasy, to wait for Sephiroth. There is logic there.
But saying they couldn't get anything when they started Smash, and that, miraculously, they could with another character added, does not make up a second chance. If they wanted to add more FF music, if that was the only goal, they clearly could get it, and could have just added it to base game. It isn't a 'second chance.'
When did I mention anything about lackluster picks? That's just your own assumption
It's a 2nd chance precisely because it was planned for base game, but unfortunately couldn't make the cut. Time constraints and budget/copyright issues exist, especially when it comes to Square. Keep in mind FP2 wasn't planned at the time (Rex mii costume and base game spirits further add to this).

Last edited:

LAA9000

Smash Journeyman
Slippi.gg
JUST#956
3DS FC
0361-9069-2936
Switch FC
SW-5393-4946-0209
When did I mention anything about lacluster picks? That's just your own assumption
It's a 2nd chance precisely because it was planned for base game, but unfortunately couldn't make the cut. Time constraints and budget/copyright issues exist, especially when it comes to Square. Keep in mind FP2 wasn't planned at the time (Rex mii costume and base game spirits further addd to this).
What proof do we have that more FFVII content was planned for base game?

This is my issue with Second Chance Theory: it can be twisted so that it fits virtually anyone, even if it involves making up untrue things about them and Smash.

Inferno7

Smash Journeyman
What proof do we have that more FFVII content was planned for base game?

This is my issue with Second Chance Theory: it can be twisted so that it fits virtually anyone, even if it involves making up untrue things about them and Smash.
It's literally a better selling franchise than even Sonic as far as videogame copies are concerned. It's harder to imagine that it wasn't considered than if it actually was.
Sakurai explained that the music's copyright was extremely hard to get, you just have to put two and two together then the whole thing starts to make sense. Also the fact Cloud didn't even get official art for his spirits (who could've been okay with this?).
Again, common sense can help.

MarioRaccoon

Smash Ace
Seeing how the switch is a giant cash machine and produces great sales within most games upsets me that we don’t have the Layton trilogy on the switch.

It Would produce massive sales on the switch. I wonder what happened to the games since they were leaked to be coming to the switch. Either scrapped completely I guess or shelved until further down the line.
Thats lacks of Level-5 manpower. Otherwise, we would have already got the first Layton trilogy, Yokai-Watch 4 and 1 localization, Inazuma Eleven Ares and very soon Megaton Musashi. Plus Ushio by 2022.

LAA9000

Smash Journeyman
Slippi.gg
JUST#956
3DS FC
0361-9069-2936
Switch FC
SW-5393-4946-0209
Again, I have made a grave mistake that I must apologise for.

When releasing a post centring around the free-to-play open-world RPG Genshin Impact (2020), I formatted the name of the game's development and publishing studio as MiHoYo. In proofreading, I have since learned that it is actually spelt miHoYo, with me erroneously capitalising the M at the beginning.

After committing the offense of miscapitalisation twice, I truly can no longer be forgiven. Effective tomorrow, at 07:00 UTC, I shall no longer access SmashBoards through my user account LAA9000 LAA9000 . Instead, I shall resign myself to the fiery hellscape of Twitter, where I shall post on my account @JustNo_8103725.

I wish you all luck on your future endeavours. I do not ask for any, for I shall not bask in the enjoyment of such endeavours as punishment for my sins.

Don't worry, the leaving SmashBoards part is a joke. For now...

FreeFox

Smash Lord
It's literally a better selling franchise than even Sonic as far as videogame copies are concerned. It's harder to imagine that it wasn't considered than if it actually was.
Sakurai explained that the music's copyright was extremely hard to get, you just have to put two and two together then the whole thing starts to make sense. Also the fact Cloud didn't even get official art for his spirits (who could've been okay with this?).
Again, common sense can help.
To add to this, Cloud got a new alternative final smash with Sephiroth´s release. If that isnt strange by itself, I dont know what is.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Thats lacks of Level-5 manpower. Otherwise, we would have already got the first Layton trilogy, Yokai-Watch 4 and 1 localization, Inazuma Eleven Ares and very soon Megaton Musashi. Plus Ushio by 2022.
And people wonder why everybody's so concerned about Level-5's future...

Theguy123

Smash Lord
I just hope the ni nu kuni spin-off mobile game has put them into a great financial position to the point where they’ll consider branching back into the west.

The game has made around 100 mill in 10 days. I’m hoping that they use the money to start branching into the west which means we’ll be able to get those games and the “supposed” Layton game that’s in development at the moment in Japan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom