• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I just hope the ni nu kuni spin-off mobile game has put them into a great financial position to the point where they’ll consider branching back into the west.

The game has made around 100 mill in 10 days. I’m hoping that they use the money to start branching into the west which means we’ll be able to get those games and the “supposed” Layton game that’s in development at the moment in Japan.
I believe they did confirm that that Ni No Kuni game is getting a western release next year, so its nice to know they haven't completely given up on the west just yet...

And well, Layton in general performs the best in the west (especially in Europe) so Level-5 would be leaving money on the table if they kept that IP in particular Japan only. (They also recently teamed up with an American merchandise company to sell merchandise in the US so that's also pretty promising to know)

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
I believe they did confirm that that Ni No Kuni game is getting a western release next year, so its nice to know they haven't completely given up on the west just yet...

And well, Layton in general performs the best in the west (especially in Europe) so Level-5 would be leaving money on the table if they kept that IP in particular in Japan only. (They also recently teamed up with an American merchandise company to sell merchandise in the US so that's also pretty promising to know)
All I need is reassurance that Yo-kai Watch 4 is still coming to the West. I actually like that series...

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Speaking of Level 5, do you guys think there’s any hope in ever getting another Dark Cloud or Rogue Galaxy? I was a huge fan of those games but I never really played any other Level 5 games.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Speaking of Level 5, do you guys think there’s any hope in ever getting another Dark Cloud or Rogue Galaxy? I was a huge fan of those games but I never really played any other Level 5 games.
The main issue with Dark Cloud is that the IP is owned by Sony (or at least co-owned) so Level-5 can't really do much with the IP unless Sony asks them to do a new game.
Can't really say much about Rogue Galaxy and where that stands for the company..

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Has the Activision lawsuit been discussed yet, or is that water that’s best left unsailed in this thread? I’d imagine it’s got to have some form of impact on Crash’s chances.
I mentioned it a few pages back, but I don't remember anybody talking about it. Then again, I was skimming the pages, so I can't really say...

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Has the Activision lawsuit been discussed yet, or is that water that’s best left unsailed in this thread? I’d imagine it’s got to have some form of impact on Crash’s chances.
I think it’s too late to have any impact on the chances of a character at this point. I will say that if the allegations are true, I hope Activision goes out of business and another more respectable company picks up their IP (although that’s extremely unlikely).

Last edited:

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
It was discussed already, and it would not have an impact on any Activision/Blizzard character seeing as negotiations would have already happened.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
It has to a very small extent, but the deal is pretty much this: At this point, negotiations are locked in, money has probably already traded hands, and the Fighter Pack is nearly complete. If the fighter was from Activision-Blizzard (even from the branch that pulled the no-no assuming it wasn't the entire thing) the most that would change is the release date; It wouldn't be feasible to pick someone else at this point, even a 1st party.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I feel really guilty and conflicted. I obviously hate what happened at Activision and the company deserves to go under if this is true. In the other hand, I just can’t stop liking Blizzard’s franchises like WarCraft, StarCraft, and Diablo and I would still be excited to get a character in Smash. I really wish a better company owned the rights to Blizzard’s games so I wouldn’t have to feel like a bad person for wanting a character I’ve liked since I was a teenager.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I feel really guilty and conflicted. I obviously hate what happened at Activision and the company deserves to go under if this is true. In the other hand, I just can’t stop liking Blizzard’s franchises like WarCraft, StarCraft, and Diablo and I would still be excited to get a character in Smash. I really wish a better company owned the rights to Blizzard’s games so I wouldn’t have to feel like a bad person for wanting a character I’ve liked since I was a teenager.
Was it Activision-Blizzard that got the allegations or was it just the Activision branch?

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
All we can do is hope this leads to SOME kind of change... even if the chances are next to none, and people are more likely to forget all this within a month...

Theguy123

Smash Lord
It probably doesn’t have much of an effect on his chances. I personally don’t think crash is gonna be in if I’m honest anyway. Isn’t activision a western company. I don’t personally see us getting 2 western reps in 1 pass since it took Steve 5 years of negotiations

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
It probably doesn’t have much of an effect on his chances. I personally don’t think crash is gonna be in if I’m honest anyway. Isn’t activision a western company. I don’t personally see us getting 2 western reps in 1 pass since it took Steve 5 years of negotiations
At this point I think we were only lucky to get two western reps due to the close relationship Microsoft and Nintendo had.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Was it Activision-Blizzard that got the allegations or was it just the Activision branch?
I believe it was Activision-Blizzard as a whole, though I've seen a lot of people call out the Blizzard side in particular.

Then again, Blizzard is more Activision than Blizzard at this point, so is there THAT big of a difference?

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
That I’m not sure on. Hopefully just Activision because at least I can say I never liked that company.
Off of a quick Google search (and by quick I mean literally just typing in Activision-Blizzard and looking at the results) it looks like it's the top level that's getting sued.

From the headlines it looks like the accuser is either a union or the government (dunno what the California Department of Fair Employment and Housing is exactly but it sounds official), which makes the allegations much more likely to be legit.

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend
It's mostly been discussed on the Social thread, but it was mentioned here yesterday by someone.
By what I've been hearing, the allegations are on Activision-Blizzard as a whole, but it's apparently mostly the Blizzard side, with the biggest ones being focused around the WoW and Diablo teams and that the head of Blizzard, J Allen Brack, was supposedly the main person being sent the complaints by people being harassed and has apparently done nothing or made things worse for them.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Well now the only thing I can hope for is that none of the people involved were the old employees that originally made WarCraft, StarCraft, and Diablo years ago. Man I wish someone else just had the rights to those franchises.

Inferno7

Smash Journeyman
I personally don't hold a grudge against certain companies and think it's best to not gatekeep characters if they happen to be scummy.

As for who I'd like as our Activision/Blizzard rep, Diablo by far. He's not just an icon. but someone who inspired the dungeon RPG subgenre. He also is a very interesting fighter concept, imagine fighting as a literal Demon in Smash lol.

SKX31

Smash Master
Of of a quick Google search (and by quick I mean literally just typing in Activision-Blizzard and looking at the results) it looks like it's the top level that's getting sued.

From the headlines it looks like the accuser is either a union or the government (dunno what the California Department of Fair Employment and Housing is exactly but it sounds official), which makes the allegations much more likely to be legit.
It's mostly been discussed on the Social thread, but it was mentioned here yesterday by someone.

By what I've been hearing, the allegations are on Activision-Blizzard as a whole, but it's apparently mostly the Blizzard side, with the biggest ones being focused around the WoW and Diablo teams and that the head of Blizzard, J Allen Brack, was supposedly the main person being sent the complaints by people being harassed and has apparently done nothing or made things worse for them.
Yeah, that's the department. The suit can be read here. And yes, Brack is named (page 5).

Gengar84

Smash Hero
I personally don't hold a grudge against certain companies and think it's best to not gatekeep characters if they happen to be scummy.

As for who I'd like as our Activision/Blizzard rep, Diablo by far. He's not just an icon. but someone who inspired the dungeon RPG subgenre. He also is a very interesting fighter concept, imagine fighting as a literal Demon in Smash lol.
Yeah, I try to separate games from their creators if I can. It is a little tough when the allegations are this bad. I guess I have to think of it like wrestling. I love Hulk Hogan even though the guy playing him is a racist scumbag. Hulk Hogan, the character, is still great. Really, WWE as a whole is a really scummy company as well but I’ve been watching it for over 30 years now so it’s hard to just drop it.

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend
I'm not against people having personal issues with companies. But I don't think characters should be kept away because of a companies' actions. Characters are just that. Fictional characters. They have no control or decisions over anything. They are not the reason why a company does something and whatnot. And you can still very much like or love a character or series and not like the company or their direction.

ZelDan

Smash Master
Whenever a business does something really awful, I think its important to remember these corporations aren't hiveminds. Just because some people do bad stuff within these companies it doesn't mean ALL people within are bad. I'm sure there are plenty of great people that work in Activison-Blizzard.

By all means criticize and dislike the bad that happens, but perhaps don't throw the whole entire thing under the bus.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Yeah, that's the department. The suit can be read here. And yes, Brack is named (page 5).
Well, I don't have the brain power to read through 29 pages of legalese, but thank you for the primary source.

As far as Super Smash Bros. goes, if the last character is from Activision-Blizzard, it will suck that the final Challenger Pack becomes a moral dilemma, and that there are people who have already bought it before any of this happened that wouldn't have made that choice knowing what they do now. Keep in mind that it's not just Activision-Blizzard that benefits from the transaction, as Nintendo and the dev team are getting a cut too. That may or may not make things up to you, but it's still a factor.

Beyond that, people should still be allowed to enjoy the character. Um...I can't fully articulate the rest of the thought so I guess I'll just end it here but uh...yeah.

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
Checked out SmashFAQs for a bit after doing some work.
Minus the Activision stuff, seems some people are talking about Aloy a bit more, given that she'll now have a potential Switch appearance other than Fortnite: Genshin.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
So I was watching a Guilty Gear Strive tournament, and I have discovered a few things:
  1. Milia is freaking cool when she gets going.
  2. I must now go find a song so I can find out what it's called because it's great.

I knew this before, but they really did Milia dirty with her idle pose. I know they were trying to make it sexy, but it just screams lack of confidence/fear and I don't think that really fits her character. In general, it just looks dumb.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
All of the company, but it seems like a lot of what it being talked openly about is from Blizzard's end, more specifically the WoW team. The only person who's specifically named is Alex Afrasiabi, who was a creative director at Blizzard long before the Activision merger. It's a real bummer to find out this sort of stuff has been going on as someone who played WoW for many years.

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
Checked out SmashFAQs for a bit after doing some work.
Minus the Activision stuff, seems some people are talking about Aloy a bit more, given that she'll now have a potential Switch appearance other than Fortnite: Genshin.
If that’s the case, hoo boy, imagine the unbridled whining from Sony Ponies that will flood Twitter and other such websites for the remainder of the week it’s announced.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
My thoughts on the last character is it depends on whether it is first or third party. Because if it is first it was probably Nintendo throwing in character last minute probably due to seeing how popular the character or just as promotion. If it’s third party it was probably the company bringing up a character during negotiations and Nintendo deciding near the end that they also wanted that character and getting it near the end when was the pass was almost finalized.
Agree! Another roll of the dice for me is I'm about 70/30 believing it's a character from an up to now unrepresented game by Nintendo or 3rd party/independent party/collaboration. Meaning 30 % chance it's an additional character to an existing sub roster like Metroid etc so I can't rule out walugi or Kratos or smt rep or crash or anyone but I think it's way more likely to be a new franchise member (totally forgot about re go Jill you're our Amazon!)

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
If that’s the case, hoo boy, imagine the unbridled whining from Sony Ponies that will flood Twitter and other such websites for the remainder of the week it’s announced.
I mean I don't recall anything like that when funny god of war man got into Fortnite e.g. "WHY WOULD SONY ALLOW THE SKIN TO BE ON OTHER CONSOLES!?"

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom