• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arctiq

Smash Journeyman
RE has the whole body horror thing that would be difficult to put in Smash without getting on CERO's nerves or raise the age rating. The main issue with Monster Hunter is that the developers apparently didn't want the Hunters to be playable and weren't thrilled when a Hunter was playable in MVCI.
I'm surprised Capcom didn't try to push Riders as a potential rep (assuming the recent spirit deconfirms them). There's some cool moveset potential with both a hunter and a monster.

FreeFox

Smash Lord
We've gotten so much capcom content at this point that it's extremely difficult to think we're getting a capcom character at this point. And I feel like people are so caught up in the "hype" over a capcom character that they forget that each successive franchise does not inherit the demand nor interest of the previous. At this point, because we've passed up Monster Hunter, Resident Evil, AND Devil May Cry as far as content goes, I really, really see no reason to anticipate Ace Attorney, and think it's very foolish to celebrate that Wright has "no more competition" because it's not a competition between capcom franchises. If Nintendo didn't even want to get Dante that much, what makes people think they'll want Wright instead? They'd much rather dip IP they own, especially since Ace Attorney has not been that active in the past few years, with the last major release being Japan only, and Spirit of Justice releasing in 2016. Sure, AA7 may be in development now, but thinking that matters means you think Nintendo would have cared to know in 2018-2019.
There is a game coming this year even if Phoenix Wright isnt the protagonist of it.

History doesn't really matter much. Banjo was picked because we, the fanbase, demanded for him, not because of some arbitrary classification, and neither was Bayonetta.

Ace Attorney was in a rather long lull period prior to Ultimate, and we're only just now getting more out of the franchise, through games that already existed and are only just getting localized. It's always been a really niche franchise, to the point where Capcom actually stopped releasing physical copies of new games because they weren't making back on printing costs. Yes, relevancy isn't as big of a factor when you've added Banjo, but when it comes to Ace Attorney, it has neither the demand to back it up nor the interest in the franchise on Nintendo's end. If Capcom themselves have so little interest to the point where they refuse to localize titles in the franchise for years/to this day (Gyakuten Kenji 2), I can't help but think of how little interest Nintendo must have.
And Banjo Kazooie is from a dead franchise. I dont get your point. How is Banjo more valid? If there was demand during the ballot for Phoeni Wright then what would be the difference between the two?

Last edited:

NessAtc.

Fukou Da...
NNID
nintenstar98
3DS FC
4699-7691-7794
Switch FC
SW-2476-6260-3913
There is a game coming this year even if Phoenix Wright isnt the protagonist of it.
A localization of a game that came out 6 years ago and its sequel.

If your confidence is inspired by that, I really can't help you. This is not a new entry, and it's not likely at all that this collection was so much as a glint in Capcom's eye as of 2018-2019. This is the first thing we've gotten from the franchise since 2017, and it's a localization of two several year old games.

And Banjo Kazooie is from a dead franchise. I dont get your point. How is Banjo more valid? If there was demand during the ballot for Phoeni Wright then what would be the difference between the two?
First of all, there WAS demand. I won't pretend there wasn't, I was lowkey part of it. However, because I was part of it, I know that it was ABSURDLY miniscule. It was basically just me and 5 other guys. There was very little demand whatsoever. It was only a bit above Crash, who was also dead at the time.

The reason Banjo is more valid is because of the absurd demand there was for him on the ballot. You literally don't have to look very far to see just how big it was, and characters like K Rool, Isaac, etc were of similar or greater height. Even Simon Belmont was doing better than Wright, even with Snake taking precedence in voters over him and CV's failing appearances. Thus, the difference is that the demand for Ace Attorney content is extremely low. Combine that with a fairly infrequent series, with a history of failing to localize product, and I fail to see how Nintendo would have any semblance of interest in it.

Last edited:

Inferno7

Smash Journeyman
I’d be cool with Phoenix cuz we already got 5 characters that overlap with the PXZ series and Smash: Ryu, Ken, and as of the second game, Chrom, Lucina, and Kazuya

why not have a sixth character in common? :awesome:
Another reason why Dante should be in

kylexv

Smash Master
Pic of the Day:

The original Metal Gear turns 34 today!

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Pic of the Day:

"Metal Gear" released today in 1987 !! Needless to say, the MSX2 version is the one. The Famicom version may be more popular, but the origin is here. It was the founder of an infiltration-type action game, and was full of mechanisms to make you feel like it. #Smash Bros SP

FreeFox

Smash Lord
A localization of a game that came out 6 years ago and its sequel.

If your confidence is inspired by that, I really can't help you. This is not a new entry, and it's not likely at all that this collection was so much as a glint in Capcom's eye as of 2018-2019. This is the first thing we've gotten from the franchise since 2017, and it's a localization of two several year old games.
Its still a new game in the west. If they dont really care about the series, we wouldnt have gotten it at all. I dont understand what you are trying to say here. The reason why it took so long to localize the game was issues with the Sherlock Holmes character, not dislike and indifference to the series.

First of all, there WAS demand. I won't pretend there wasn't, I was lowkey part of it. However, because I was part of it, I know that it was ABSURDLY miniscule. It was basically just me and 5 other guys. There was very little demand whatsoever. It was only a bit above Crash, who was also dead at the time.

The reason Banjo is more valid is because of the absurd demand there was for him on the ballot. You literally don't have to look very far to see just how big it was, and characters like K Rool, Isaac, etc were of similar or greater height. Even Simon Belmont was doing better than Wright, even with Snake taking precedence in voters over him and CV's failing appearances. Thus, the difference is that the demand for Ace Attorney content is extremely low. Combine that with a fairly infrequent series, with a history of failing to localize product, and I fail to see how Nintendo would have any semblance of interest in it.
If you think fan demand is everything, show me evidence of Kazuya being in a higher position that Phoenix Wright.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Pic of the Day:

Uh oh! The bus have started to move!

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Here’s a hypothetical question. How would you guys feel about getting a character that came from a video game IP but didn’t originate from a game itself. For example, Jesse and James from Team Rocket. I was just watching random YouTube videos the other day and somehow it lead me into watching a bunch of Team Rocket scenes from the anime and it reminded me of how much I liked these two. They were easily the best part of the anime and are definitely iconic enough for Smash.
Sakurai: adds Jessie and James
Smash Fans: "See it's OK because they appeared in Pokémon Yellow."

Likely only semi-accurate Jokes aside, I think most people would be fine with it. I wouldn't hold my breath for it to happen anytime soon though.

NessAtc.

Fukou Da...
NNID
nintenstar98
3DS FC
4699-7691-7794
Switch FC
SW-2476-6260-3913
Its still a new game in the west. If they dont really care about the series, we wouldnt have gotten it at all. I dont understand what you are trying to say here. The reason why it took so long to localize the game was issues with the Sherlock Holmes character, not dislike and indifference to the series.
Their solution was to rename him to Herlock Sholmes; he's very clearly a parody, and parody falls under the rights of fair use. I do not believe for a second that complications arose because of that, and even if it did, that arises another thing you've missed; Capcom didn't care to pay off for the rights and preferred to just sit on the game. So that automatically also runs counter to what you're saying.

Ace Attorney is neither a big or even medium franchise, and has had virtually no demand within smash in the past. There is no conceivable reason to expect Phoenix Wright to be CP11, and AA does not inherit "capcom priority" or whatever. Such a thing does not exist; take the Capcom content we do have or leave it, it's already a ****ton anyway.

If you think fan demand is everything, show me evidence of Kazuya being in a higher position that Phoenix Wright.
Yes, characters can be added for reasons other than "fan demand" or "ballot presence". Nobody is disputing that. Phoenix Wright is not in a position to be considered any other way, though, because unlike Tekken, AA is a miniscule franchise that has not been getting any content for four years.

Last edited:

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
Here's an interesting proposition.
:ultisabelle: = Tom Nook
:ultsonic: = Metal Sonic
:ultluigi: = Gooigi

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
:ultinkling: = Octoling
:ult_terry: = Rock Howard as a Ken-type Echo

cashregister9

Smash Hero
:ultcloud: = Zack

:ultbayonetta: = Jeanne

:ultsonic:= Shadow

Arctiq

Smash Journeyman

:ultpokemontrainer: = Johto Trainer (is this cheating?)
:ultmegaman: = Megaman X

Quick Gaming (QG)

Smash Lord
RE has the whole body horror thing that would be difficult to put in Smash without getting on CERO's nerves or raise the age rating. The main issue with Monster Hunter is that the developers apparently didn't want the Hunters to be playable and weren't thrilled when a Hunter was playable in MVCI.
oh no kidding? I loved playing as Monster Hunter in MvC: I, had no idea the creators weren't fond of it

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero

"2021 Online Challenge Round 2" will be held from 19:00 on Saturday, July 17th this weekend. The rule is "physical strength system" x "end point stage". On a flat stage like a fighting game, the first physical fitness battle in an online challenge! Please enjoy the head-to-head game without items and charge cuts. #Smash Bros SP

FreeFox

Smash Lord
Their solution was to rename him to Herlock Sholmes; he's very clearly a parody, and parody falls under the rights of fair use. I do not believe for a second that complications arose because of that, and even if it did, that arises another thing you've missed; Capcom didn't care to pay off for the rights and preferred to just sit on the game. So that automatically also runs counter to what you're saying.

Ace Attorney is neither a big or even medium franchise, and has had virtually no demand within smash in the past. There is no conceivable reason to expect Phoenix Wright to be CP11, and AA does not inherit "capcom priority" or whatever. Such a thing does not exist; take the Capcom content we do have or leave it, it's already a ****ton anyway.

Yes, characters can be added for reasons other than "fan demand" or "ballot presence". Nobody is disputing that. Phoenix Wright is not in a position to be considered any other way, though, because unlike Tekken, AA is a miniscule franchise that has not been getting any content for four years.
I am surprised. It seems like you dont know. There is a character named Herlock Sholmes. There are many references to that character and Arsene Lupin in Persona 5. That is because that particular IP has finally fallen in public domain unlike Sherlock Holmes. Funnily enough, Herlock Sholmes was created by that author to avoid coright infringement on Sherlock Holmes. So, it wasnt just a name change for parody purposes.

But you are wrong, you said so yourself. Here are YOUR WORDS on the subject of his demand:

Also, what Capcom priority are you talking about? Nintendo and Sakurai makes the picks. The company might say no but they arent the ones choosing which become the characters and which the Mii costumes.

And to the point of amount of content, I say "So what?" Whether Capcom has the most content doesnt matter. If anything, it means that they are more willing to work with Nintendo and give them content. Terry came with more songs than any other DLC character. Base game, there was almost nothing SE related and they added 3 characters. In smash 4, they accepted the model of Rayman and added it as a trophy. Its not like Nintendo is trying to fulfill a quota and there is a limit on how much content a company can give. If anything I am sure Nintendo would be fools to reject getting more content from 3rd party companies just because "there might be too much content".

As for why Ace attorney. I dont know. It might be the shared nintendo history. It might be because its a pretty notable game in the visual novel arquetype. It might be part fan demand. It might be as simple as Sakurai liking the series like with Terry. If you put all of the DLC characters and try to put them all in a single box. I assure you that you will fail because the only thing they all share in common, ists that they are videogame characters.

I will point out that I am NOT a supporter of AA for the last character. If anything he falls into that same category as getting a Rhythm Heaven character. It is a cool idea and I would definitely be behind it if it happens but its not who I am hoping or expecting. My stance remains the same. I am hoping for Paper Mario and Isaac and I am expecting the last character to be first party. But I just wont stand here and see you deface AA with a false representation of the series standing. Its currently Capcom´s number one choice and it has some fan demand and popularity behind it. And no, Capcom doesnt have secret vendetta against the series. Yeah, there are many reasons for the series to not get in but "too much content" is not one of them.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
:ultdiddy: - Dixie Kong
:ultsheik: - Impa
:ultinkling: - Octoling

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Pic of the Day:

This is why Sakurai is the best dude.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
:ultdiddy:= Dixie Kong(new Up B based upon DK's)
:ultganondorf: = Black Shadow(Ken style, mainly focusing on his Smash 4 moveset, so no swords)
:ultpokemontrainer: = Wartorlte, Bulbasaur, Mega Charizard X(Unsure of what Trainer exactly, likely the Kalos designs, with references to other various later trainers, including probably a Team Flare outfit? Still uses Triple Finish, of course. Mega Charizard Y is a thought, but it feels like it's trying to change the model more than be basic armor to it instead).

Other runner ups are Shadow for Sonic, Gooigi for Luigi, and that's all that honestly interests me. At least, keeping in mind Weight being the same(so no Giga Bowser or Metal Mario).

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
:ultfalcon:= Black Shadow
:ultinkling:= Octoling
:ultpalutena: = Medusa

Ivander

Smash Legend
:ultlucas: = Paula
:ultmegaman: = Roll
:ultsheik: = Impa

NessAtc.

Fukou Da...
NNID
nintenstar98
3DS FC
4699-7691-7794
Switch FC
SW-2476-6260-3913
And to the point of amount of content, I say "So what?" Whether Capcom has the most content doesnt matter. If anything, it means that they are more willing to work with Nintendo and give them content. Terry came with more songs than any other DLC character. Base game, there was almost nothing SE related and they added 3 characters. In smash 4, they accepted the model of Rayman and added it as a trophy. Its not like Nintendo is trying to fulfill a quota and there is a limit on how much content a company can give. If anything I am sure Nintendo would be fools to reject getting more content from 3rd party companies just because "there might be too much content".

As for why Ace attorney. I dont know. It might be the shared nintendo history. It might be because its a pretty notable game in the visual novel arquetype. It might be part fan demand. It might be as simple as Sakurai liking the series like with Terry. If you put all of the DLC characters and try to put them all in a single box. I assure you that you will fail because the only thing they all share in common, ists that they are videogame characters.

I will point out that I am NOT a supporter of AA for the last character. If anything he falls into that same category as getting a Rhythm Heaven character. It is a cool idea and I would definitely be behind it if it happens but its not who I am hoping or expecting. My stance remains the same. I am hoping for Paper Mario and Isaac and I am expecting the last character to be first party. But I just wont stand here and see you deface AA with a false representation of the series standing. Its currently Capcom´s number one choice and it has some fan demand and popularity behind it. And no, Capcom doesnt have secret vendetta against the series. Yeah, there are many reasons for the series to not get in but "too much content" is not one of them.
You've completely and utterly missed the point entirely. When Nintendo has access to franchises like Resident Evil, or Monster Hunter, or Devil May Cry, or literally any other IP on the market, why would they go for Ace Attorney? It is far from Capcom's "number one choice", and it doesn't help that it's literally only just now getting a game, a localization of previously made games, after four years of dead silence. I was specifically saying there WASN'T a quota as well, so shows how much you're actually reading these.

I do not see how I am "defacing the series standing" when it is literally true that it's one of capcom's smaller IPs, is neglected extremely often, and hasn't had any limelight in four years. This is all literally true, and if you believe otherwise, you're the one misrepresenting the franchise. Not me.

Jeez, and people wonder why I lost interest in Ace Attorney.

Last edited:

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero

2006 "Persona 3" released today !! "Persona", which was produced as a Denki Gakuen thing, has made a big change from "3" and has reached the present situation. Especially around the UI, there is a prominent personality that cannot be imitated. #Smash Bros SP

Last edited:

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
:ultdiddy:= Dixie Kong
:ultsonic:= Shadow
:ultmetaknight:=Galacta Knight

Quick Gaming (QG)

Smash Lord
You've completely and utterly missed the point entirely. When Nintendo has access to franchises like Resident Evil, or Monster Hunter, or Devil May Cry, or literally any other IP on the market, why would they go for Ace Attorney? It is far from Capcom's "number one choice"
yeah pretty much just this. The only way I see Phoenix getting in is intense fan demand and he just isn't there yet. He definitely could be in the future though

Inferno7

Smash Journeyman
Easy

:ultsonic: = Shadow: if it's the only way he can ever possibly get in then so be it

:ultbowser: = Dry Bowser: He should've been in the game by now tbh, he was one of the most no-brainer choices for an echo fighter and every single mod includes him.

:ultmetaknight: = Galacta Knight: I'd prefer him as a semi-clone but I could live with this. Also pls bring his theme with him.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
oh no kidding? I loved playing as Monster Hunter in MvC: I, had no idea the creators weren't fond of it
Those particular creators(I don't think they work there anymore?) view the monsters as the "important" things to represent.

Doesn't seem relevant to Smash in itself, but it's not exactly untrue even for the fans. The monsters are the bread and butter of Monster Hunter. It's very similar to Pokemon and Digimon that way. That said, a Monster Hunter would still be really damn awesome in Smash with lots of neat weapon options.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
sheesh these threads get my blood pressure pumping, y’all are wild :209:
PSA: If you are at risk of high blood pressure, please refrain from excessive browsing of Smashboards forums. This has been a public service announcement from the offices of :ultdoc:.

1626151223136.jpeg

Last edited:

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
:ultkingdedede: = King D-Mind
:ultkrool: = Lord Fredrik
:ultlittlemac: = Glass Joe

FreeFox

Smash Lord
You've completely and utterly missed the point entirely. When Nintendo has access to franchises like Resident Evil, or Monster Hunter, or Devil May Cry, or literally any other IP on the market, why would they go for Ace Attorney? It is far from Capcom's "number one choice", and it doesn't help that it's literally only just now getting a game, a localization of previously made games, after four years of dead silence. I was specifically saying there WASN'T a quota as well, so shows how much you're actually reading these.

I do not see how I am "defacing the series standing" when it is literally true that it's one of capcom's smaller IPs, is neglected extremely often, and hasn't had any limelight in four years. This is all literally true, and if you believe otherwise, you're the one misrepresenting the franchise. Not me.

Dude, you are the one saying they have too much content. You should reread what you typed. You keep parroting the same thing over and over. Dont take my word for it. Take yours:
take the Capcom content we do have or leave it, it's already a ****ton anyway.
We've gotten so much capcom content at this point that it's extremely difficult to think we're getting a capcom character at this point.
If you dont think like its a point to your argument then I would recommend better skip it next time. Because , you make it sound like its really that important of a point to you.

As for its chances, people seem to think different or there wouldnt have been any discussion on AA if there were no chances for the series. You are giving misinformation on the context of why it took so long for the new entry to get here. There is even plans for more games in the future by Capcom leaks. I dont get your point on the current state of the series.

You seem to be the one missing my point here. I said capcom isnt the one making the picks, Nintendo is. You want to make a strong argument against AA? Use Nintendo and Sakurai as your basis, not Capcom. As I said before, Capcom can say no to the character but Nintendo and Sakurai are the ones that approach and pick the characters. Try an argument against the series itself and why they wouldnt get picked.

As for the point of bigger picks, Banjo Kazooie isnt a big franchise either. Microsoft could have picked Halo (I am still shocked they havent done so yet.). By your logic, we shouldnt have Banjo here.

:ultdiddy: - Dixie Kong
:ultsheik: - Impa
:ultinkling: - Octoling
:ultinkling:- Octoling
:ultkirby:-Gooey
:ultlittlemac:- King Hippo/Glass Joe

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I would love if somehow Shantae was CP11, the internet would explode cause 1) she's a recent mii costume so she has that deconfirmed status that's reasonable to assume honestly and 2nd most people consider other indies to have much better chance then her so it would just be a mind**** for them in two different ways.
Shantae's always been considered top 3 most likely indies in Smash speculation though? This is like seeing "Characters like Terry ruin chances of poor underdogs like Lycanroc" all over again

spicynun

Smash Journeyman

I get that Ace Attorney isn't near Resident Evil, Monster Hunter, Devil May Cry etc. in terms of popularity but you really talk about it like its Power Stone or something. If 11 games and 8 million sold is miniscule to you then I'm not even sure how you would classify some of Capcom's other series.

Adrianette Bromide

Smash Lord

2006 "Persona 3" released today !! "Persona", which was produced as a Denki Gakuen thing, has made a big change from "3" and has reached the present situation. Especially around the UI, there is a prominent personality that cannot be imitated. #Smash Bros SP
Wtf is a Denki Gakuen? Google is helping me very minimally.

FreeFox

Smash Lord
I get that Ace Attorney isn't near Resident Evil, Monster Hunter, Devil May Cry etc. in terms of popularity but you really talk about it like its Power Stone or something. If 11 games and 8 million sold is miniscule to you then I'm not even sure how you would classify some of Capcom's other series.
If I may, I have a theory on why he is talking this way. Its because he is trying to build a narrative. A narrative that makes it seem like the series is impossible for smash. Why else would someone use half truths/technical truths (not a new game/Capcom´s little interest) and assumptions as facts (Capcom wouldnt do this, Nintendo wouldnt do that)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom