• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Merengue

Smash Journeyman
If you're trying to represent RE, you'd have to reference the Zombies or the parasites from 4 even if it's just spirits. It's an impossible task to ignore
The thing is that Gomorrah from Bayonetta is a spirit and is Bayo's final smash. Gomorrah is as scary as the Resident Evil monsters.

SpecterFlower

Smash Ace
I just logged in so i didn't even see what this was about but please never ever judge series sales that haven't at least had an new game in at least 5 years, Ace Attorney is probably more popular than ever before, and let's not forget it's one of the videogame fandoms where a lot of people don't play the games as they have also either been introduced to it from the anime or the insane fanworks instead. we really can't judge the fandom from the sales of a port of a collection game, at least wait until the great ace attorney chronicles, in half the world it's new, though I doubt it'll sell as well as a mainline game since it has an entirely different cast.

also people are sleeping on dragons dogma, capcom seems to have high hopes for the franchise.

If you're trying to represent RE, you'd have to reference the Zombies or the parasites from 4 even if it's just spirits. It's an impossible task to ignore
they'd make perfect stage backgrounds, I think no matter what character we get or which version of them we will get the R.C.P.D building it's way to iconic to not have. maybe we could also have jill being chased by nemesis in the background or something, it wouldn't make much sense but that doesn't matter this is smash. the main thing im worried about with RE is move set wise a character would be pretty generic. which is why i could see them going for villain instead since they have most of the power in those games. Except for Chris, I think he QTE'd a boulder out of his way before.

Last edited:

RGFS

Smash Journeyman
The thing is that Gomorrah from Bayonetta is a spirit and is Bayo's final smash. Gomorrah is as scary as the Resident Evil monsters.
Not really, you look up Castlevania or Bayonetta monsters seen in Smash and they're pretty tame. They're demonic but not bloody or gory.

Typing in Resident Evil monsters to google isn't just nightmare fuel, it's for the most part gore city.

Alternatively, they could easily just easily not include the monsters as spirits and just have characters and whoever can actually show up. Worked well with the spirit even we already did get.

They somehow got away with Kazuya's nasty scars and Andross (True Form) though so anything is possible:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Here's an interesting proposition.
:ultisabelle: = Tom Nook
:ultsonic: = Metal Sonic
:ultluigi: = Gooigi
Protoman
Rock Howard
Jin Kazama

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
lmao out of all the nonsense claims about Ace Attorney I read recently I think the worst one might actually be that Phoenix has no fan demand. Dude could probably coast by just on that alone even if he didn't have everything else going for him.

I saw this topic on GameFAQs, so I though "Hmm wonder how they'll answer this"

While I personally bought Plant + Both Passes in full capacity...

What DLC fighters did you buy and not buy? Why (If you care enough to answer lmao)?
Bought FP1, got the plant for free, and then bought Min Min, Sephiroth, Pythra and Kazuya individually.
Hear me out. Nintendo and Disney work out a deal to allow a character to be used.

Last character is club penguin followed by an announcement that club penguin is being re-opened properly and is now co owned with Nintendo to keep things up to date and fresh.

How you reacting.
Confusion
Ima go with

:ultpalutena: = Medusa
:ultfalcon: = Black Shadow
:ultlucas: = Ninten

Avoided some obvious ones like Octoling and Dixie in the hopes that they'd be semiclones instead.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Black Shadow [Captain Falcon]
Shadow [Sonic]
Bass [Megaman]

XorahnGaia

Smash Journeyman
It's one thing to say that Phoenix's fan demand is overstated compared to other fan favorites, but I feel like saying that there's absolutely no demand for him is going a bit too far, especially if your point of comparison is Banjo which people began to take as a serious possibility only after Phil Spencer said that he would be fine with collaborating with Nintendo, which happened at the tail end of the Ballot IIRC.

As for why Nintendo would be interested in Ace Attorney, well for one thing they've been involved with the development of the first game and I think they also helped with the localization of the first games. They also cited Ace Attorney's success overseas as a reason why they greenlit the FDC remakes (we now know that it was Mages who approached them with the idea, but even still I doubt they would have given them too much thought if they didn't know "adventure games" had a chance in the modern market).
I acknowledge that all these points aren't major dealbreakers, but I think that they do show that Nintendo doesn't necessarily view Ace Attorney as "just a random series that happened to be exclusive to their consoles at one point in time " like some people claim.

Phoenix isn't a shoo-in for FP11 by any stretch of the imagination and I can agree that some people are being too hopeful for him, but it's still a character that is worth keeping in mind at this point.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
On the topic of Ace Attorney, obviously franchises with more notoriety are gonna be the first choices. That's a natural decision that just about any company would make if they thought they could get the rights at a decent price.

That being said, it's not like Nintendo's been following a clear pattern with these characters. After Sonic, we got Bayo and Joker. Neither of these characters make sense as the second and third Sega choices if we go by sales, iconicness, or fan demand, and yet here they are. Similarly, Nintendo's previous third-party choices didn't help Sephiroth's case, and yet here we are. Nintendo opted for a second FF7 character before a new franchise.

Point is, there's no telling what logic Nintendo will go by at any given time. Sometimes they opt for the big name, sometimes they throw us a bone and give us the fan favorite, and other times they choose something seemingly random. Just because a franchise is "next down the ladder" or a character is more iconic than another doesn't necessarily mean they can't be overlooked for someone or something smaller.

Staarih

Smash Master
[Three Echoes]
Diddy -> Dixie
Inkling -> Octoling
Ness -> Ninten

Ideally all of these would be (at least partially) unique, but if it's their only chance to get in, then so be it. Dixie would complete DK for me and I just want all the Mother boys in haha.

Also looks like the MH and SM3DW+BF spirits are now added to permanent rotation:

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
:ultsephiroth: = Magus
:ultpalutena: = Medusa
:ultganondorf: = The Black Knight

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
:ultlink:/:ultyounglink:: Ocarina of Time Adult Link
:bowser2::bowsermelee:: Dry Bowser (Give him his Koopa Claw back and give him the move effects from Giga Bowser)
:ultkazuya:: Jin Kazama (Just to avoid continuity errors, his model could be blocky like in Tekken 3)

Quick Gaming (QG)

Smash Lord
Point is, there's no telling what logic Nintendo will go by at any given time. Sometimes they opt for the big name, sometimes they throw us a bone and give us the fan favorite, and other times they choose something seemingly random. Just because a franchise is "next down the ladder" or a character is more iconic than another doesn't necessarily mean they can't be overlooked for someone or something smaller.
I can understand this mentality and somewhat agree with it, but I don't see the need to bring it up in a speculation thread, just seems like kind of a "Well we can't predict Nintendo so why bother?" mentality

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I can understand this mentality and somewhat agree with it, but I don't see the need to bring it up in a speculation thread, just seems like kind of a "Well we can't predict Nintendo so why bother?" mentality
His point was more to not dismiss series which aren't the best sales. Because we know that argument isn't that clear cut anymore, with lesser series more than willing to be chosen by Nintendo.

And I'm not even gunning for AA, but I could easily see it being chosen here, especially as other series were not. If you take those Spirit Events seriously enough, along with those last few Mii costumes, Capcom doesn't have a lot of new franchise options at this time that are nearly on the same level as AA. RE and MH were given a different kind of content. Why? Who knows. There's many theories.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Octoling (Inkling)
Black Shadow (Captain Falcon)
Violet (Joker)
Yasuo (Sephiroth) :4pacman:

Last edited:

TheLamerGamer

Smash Journeyman
Persona 6 has just started development
They said that years ago, I'm pretty sure that's even what the article is referring to.

In more current Persona news:
20210713_091116.jpg

They've begun to announce plans for the 25th anniversary of Persona. And, even though it's not happening, I'm going to use this opportunity to shill Tatsuya Suou from the Persona 2 duology as a Smash character. (Support Thread).

He'd be so cool, and would come with amazing music. Just look at this man:

20210713_091933.jpg

TheLamerGamer

Smash Journeyman
Looking at the 25 in the logo, notice how the colors match the order of the colors used in the mainline games? After red, it's white. Is White Persona 6's color scheme?
Maybe, although the psp release of Persona 2 Eternal Punishment had white as its main colour. I don't see why that would be at the end though.

Last edited:

Lyncario

Smash Ace
They said that years ago, I'm pretty sure that's even what the article is referring to.

In more current Persona news:
View attachment 322513

They've begun to announce plans for the 25th anniversary of Persona. And, even though it's not happening, I'm going to use this opportunity to shill Tatsuya Suou from the Persona 2 duology as a Smash character. (Support Thread).

He'd be so cool, and would come with amazing music. Just look at this man:

View attachment 322514
Atlus using Persona 1 and 2 in promo material feels so surreal.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
The interesting X factor for the Persona news will be Sega. Whether or not Atlus has a bit of weirdness in porting older titles to other consoles, Sega certainly has seen a lot value in going as multiplat as possible, especially with P4 Golden’s success on Steam.

Switch may not get a lot out of this news blitz, but I suspect PC is another matter entirely.

Last edited:

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Dude, not at all.
You could make a similar case for cactuars and Final Fantasy, and yet we have 0 cactuar content. No spirits, no costumes etc.

To me this feels like an arbitrary reason to gatekeep the series, to be honest. Zombies I can understand that, though they've been absent from the series since the first games, so it's not like they're in all games. And the parasites from 4? That's just random. Sure, RE4 is probably the biggest entry and the most popular one, but that doesn't really mean Las Plagas are as popular as the zombies.

Thing is, you could fill a spirit board with just RE characters if you need to. And the stage could have zombies in the background, with tweaked designs if necessary. Or you could do the police station as the stage, and have Mr. X as a stage hazard, and he wouldn't really need a redesign.

Very good chance we may see the reveal of Persona 6 and its protagonist this year.
Great to see Atlus acknowledging Persona 1 and 2. Hopefully one of their announcements is a remaster for the PSP remakes or something, though I doubt that.

Also new Maya art? Let's ****ing he hoooo

Maya best girl don't @ me

Last edited:

XorahnGaia

Smash Journeyman
They also announced that they'll be showing SEVEN projects to commemorate the 25th Anniversary. Hopefully, at least one of those is Persona 5 Arena...
Keeping in mind past leaks and the wording on the website, here's how I think the seven announcements will play out (in no particular order):
  1. An anniversary concert
  2. A collaboration with a different brand through merchandise
  3. The official announcement of that mobile game spin-off of Persona 5
  4. The announcement of Persona 5 Arena (or whatever they will call it considering that it's probably what the P5 U trademark will end up being)
  5. A P4G port to console(s) (Maybe they could also bundle in some ports of P1 and the P2 duology, but I doubt it)
  6. A Remake of Persona 3 that acts as a "Definitive Edition" of the game
  7. And finally, the official teaser for Persona 6 (this could either be the final announcement but also the first considering that the mysterious merchandise is coming out on September 19th of this year).
Realistically I would expect more announcements not related to games thought, something like a P5R anime seems like a safe bet in that case.

RouffWestie

Smash Lord
:ultbowser:Dry Bowser
:ultlink: TP Link
:ultpacman: Ms. Pac-Man

TheLamerGamer

Smash Journeyman
At least lets us have an option to pick the PSP soundtrack because PSPs boss theme is the Goat
Yeah, doing it the same way as the P2 duology would be ideal.

Speaking of which, please can we get the original difficulty restored and the JP exclusive quests for 2 IS, and a localisation of EP PSP (or any release in Europe, we've never got that game).

Wow, ATLUS really hates releasing older Persona games in the west.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom