• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Yes, although that character got decided on in January 2020 at the very very latest, even sooner if the Byleth presentation was recorded even earlier, which I think could be enough time to work it into the schedule to have the usual three month gap between characters after Kazuya.
The character could have been decided on January 2020 at the latest, but maybe, unlike the others who probably already had work on conceptualization and with how complicated the FP2 pass characters were, they perhaps took time with licencing, agreeing and such putting them in that awkward spot.

Hard to tell honestly, I just think the supposed big gap isn't for nothing. Either that character bring it's whole game with it, and is the most complexe mofo around, or he was a late addition to the plan

Quick Gaming (QG)

Smash Lord
I wonder where all the character's heads have gone.
some images were sized differently, couldn't do much about it after making it lol

I find your placements of Kiryu and Tracer interesting
I don't see a reason why Kiryu couldn't get in, especially since Sega clearly cares about the Yakuza series. Unless he hasn't appeared on a Nintendo console then forget he's there. As for Tracer, again it's more so I don't see why she couldn't get in really, but I kept her lower because I don't think the demand is quite there for her to become a fighter nor do I think Overwatch would be the Blizzard rep they'd go with. I tend to narrow options for speculation by finding characters that don't really have things going against their chances. The 4 characters in the highest tier (as well as Nahobino above for those that missed it) are characters that I'm hard pressed to find reasons why they couldn't get in

Never quite understood why people think Frisk is a likely character. I mean the only reason Sans was included is because he's the most popular Undertale character.
for the sake of not bloating the chat again I'll just link the possible signs: https://smashboards.com/threads/fri...t-frisk-supporter-thread.459047/post-24462875

Slime Master

Smash Ace
IIRC you can use code to figure out things like tempo and time signature by analyzing raw sound files, though that may not be practical to do while loading in a match or on-the-fly. I believe the song is client-side in online matches so a rhythm character that uses the song wouldn't work there anyway. Also such a character would be a pain to play for a song like Vs.Marx that changes time signatures a bunch.

MarioRaccoon

Smash Ace
What do you want for the last “premium” mii costume ?? (Costume + song). So far, its been indie characters (sans, cuphead and shantae) so I don’t think they will move from there. IMO, we need a hollow knight Mii Costume, its on of the best indie games of past decade.

ps: a rhythm game fighter mechanic should be about pressing the attacks buttons in certain rhythms or patrons.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
  • Assign a BPM for nearly every single song in the game.
  • Take into account tempo changes that can occur during the song.
  • Make fighter's attacks dependent on the current song.
  • Remeber that some songs switch to completely different ones as a fight ends.
  • Remember that stage morph exists.
  • Remember that some items change the current track.
  • ???
  • Agony
It'd be awful in terms of accessibility as well. How do you let people with no sense of rhythm play this character.
  • Also remember that items that "change the music" don't actually change the music. They're sound effects.
You can save the accessibility issue with a rhythm indicator though.

Technomage

Smash Champion
What do you want for the last “premium” mii costume ?? (Costume + song). So far, its been indie characters (sans, cuphead and shantae) so I don’t think they will move from there. IMO, we need a hollow knight Mii Costume, its on of the best indie games of past decade.

ps: a rhythm game fighter mechanic should be about pressing the attacks buttons in certain rhythms or patrons.
I'd love to see Freddy Fazbear as the next Premiium. On the other hand, I think there should be a Premiium for the Swordfighter.

Quick Gaming (QG)

Smash Lord
I'd love to see Freddy Fazbear as the next Premiium. On the other hand, I think there should be a Premiium for the Swordfighter.
pretty sure it isn't happening though, the creator said earlier this year he has no plans for game collaborations this year. He name dropped Fortnite and Fall Guys but I'd say Smash would apply too

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
What if CP11 taking a long ass time is because they ran into a Sonic in brawl situation. Aka, last minute change of heart with a "FIIIIINE- get it in smash" explaining the sudden bump from 5 to 6, and the weird release window of said character?
Maybe, but I'd assume they wouldn't do anything until they were absolutely sure they'd be able to go through with it. In other words, they should've had everything settled and agreed upon by the time the second pass and "six instead of five" thing was finalized. At that point, they could've added the character at really any point in the pass.

We'll see though. Personally, I expect the last character to take long because of either the character's game being really new or Nintendo holding off on the character for a seemingly random reason.

Goombaic

Smash Ace
  • Also remember that items that "change the music" don't actually change the music. They're sound effects.
You can save the accessibility issue with a rhythm indicator though.
That's worse, you'd lose track of the tempo while the hammer or Squid Sisters are playing. Pray that those don't spawn as the music changes tempo.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Maybe, but I'd assume they wouldn't do anything until they were absolutely sure they'd be able to go through with it. In other words, they should've had everything settled and agreed upon by the time the second pass and "six instead of five" thing was finalized. At that point, they could've added the character at really any point in the pass.

We'll see though. Personally, I expect the last character to take long because of either the character's game being really new or Nintendo holding off on the character for a seemingly random reason.
They can at most try out gameplay ideas/proof of concept, but true development won't start till the licensing went through, yeah.

That said, gameplay development has delayed characters a lot. That could be literally all there is to it for CP11.

Last edited:

Slime Master

Smash Ace
I wonder how accurate the "a little while" translation actually is. September could easily fit that description, but it seems weird for Sakurai to say that explicitly unless he meant it would be longer than we expect. Maybe he said it because he thought a lot of people were expecting a double reveal at E3? Or another reveal at the presentation? I'd assume a long wait for now but if anyone who knows some Japanese has some insight on exactly what he said I'd be interested in hearing it.

Inferno7

Smash Journeyman
What if CP11 taking a long ass time is because they ran into a Sonic in brawl situation. Aka, last minute change of heart with a "FIIIIINE- get it in smash" explaining the sudden bump from 5 to 6, and the weird release window of said character?
Yeah I've been wondering this too, especially if the company in question has been stingy in the past. Square comes to mind.
On Reddit's Daily Discussion Thread for Smash, some users were discussing how the last characters in Ultimate for both base game and FP1 were a fighting game character and then a character from an overrepresented franchise. The other franchise that's overrepresented aside from Pokemon and Fire Emblem is Mario, and going on your fanservice pick, this means Waluigi would be the last fighter.

Though I think Mario has the perfect amount of representation considering it's Nintendo's biggest IP.
As someone who supported Waluigi in Brawl I wouldn't like this outcome, but it's far from the worst.
I still don't believe in patterns, and Waluigi has the spirit board issue, it will look like a total mess regardless of reused assets.
That's why I've been thinking that Sora could potentially be Fighter 11. Disney is a huge company that can get away with delaying a character's arrival and Nintendo seem to have a lot of respect for them with comments about wanting Mario to be like Mickey Mouse.
Sora of all people would make lots of sense regarding this theory, because of not only the licensing issues, but the fact that they have to deal with 2 companies at once that are known to be stingy. I think it's a possibility that they couldn't get Sora at first because Square + Disney thought it wouldn't be profitable, but changed their minds once they saw how successful the DLC has been. Not to mention Sakurai/Nintendo are well aware of what the fans want as shown with the last mii wave, and it seems like we haven't had a 100% fanservice pick yet (Steve is kind of debatable though). And last but not least, Sora as a character doesn't share the issue of being a western-centric pick like Crash and Master Chief, having an overall worldwide appeal.

All of this is pure speculation though, so I wouldn't get my hopes up.

Last edited:

Geno Boost

Smash Master

Sukapon or Black mage or Alex Kidd is what I would like to have
However I am expecting Shovel knight or Freddy

Ivander

Smash Legend
Really hoping for Shovel Knight.

Paraster

Smash Lord

While I'd be over the moon for him, I'd still be ecstatic for a Gunner based on Quote with the Cave Story theme, Mischievous Robot, Last Battle, or Running Hell.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Something to keep in mind is that the last time Sakurai implied that the next character trailer would be quite a while later, we almost immediately got Isabelle, and then Ken & Incineroar about two months later.

Unless I'm mistaken and he said that after Isabelle, but even then there wasn't a particularly long wait between reveals.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791

Brian as a Swordfighter. Sure, he's a magical user, but a lot of the elemental attacks fit super well from there. Whirlwinds, for instance. That, and he does use tons of crazy Staff attacks, so it still works out well enough. It's more for the music, since Quest's OST is honestly really damn good. Not in midi format for people with sensitive ears, but it's got lots of great Celtic music as is. What song? I dunno. There's too many good ones. The most iconic is probably the Batlte Theme, since you hear it 90's of the game. :troll:

Quick Gaming (QG)

Smash Lord
As far as enhanced mii costumes go, just keep the indie train going, heck why stop at 1? I'm rooting for Shovel Knight, Hollow Knight AND Monika. I'd say Freddy too but he's already pretty much deconfirmed

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
What do you want for the last “premium” mii costume ?? (Costume + song). So far, its been indie characters (sans, cuphead and shantae) so I don’t think they will move from there.
Either Shovel Knight or Reimu.

I'd love to see Freddy Fazbear as the next Premiium.
Seems like a waste of the song slot.

Last edited:

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
Yeah, I’ve had this thought for a little bit. I’d say that would fit Sora, Crash & Master Chief the best.

It’d sort of fit Undertale too but more because “Oh crap, that Sans costume is making bank! A character would make even more, let’s get that in real quick!”.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Okay, but what character would be so requested that they’d make an exception in their schedule instead of dismissing it like other “shoo-in” requests? Unless that wouldnt be the reason, but the “Sonic in Brawl” situation kind of implied it would be demand-based.

Quick Gaming (QG)

Smash Lord
Yeah, I’ve had this thought for a little bit. I’d say that would fit Sora, Crash & Master Chief the best.

It’d sort of fit Undertale too but more because “Oh crap, that Sans costume is making bank! A character would make even more, let’s get that in real quick!”.
this exactly, well either that or they just felt like doing 6 characters because

WeirdChillFever WeirdChillFever based on the timing, an Undertale rep would make the most sense. I mean people reacted to the Sans costume like it was a new character, I'd argue only Joker and Banjo got a bigger reaction than him (out of FP1). I'd say Cuphead but they announced there would be six in the same presentation that costume was revealed

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Okay, but what character would be so requested that they’d make an exception in their schedule instead of dismissing it like other “shoo-in” requests? Unless that wouldnt be the reason, but the “Sonic in Brawl” situation kind of implied it would be demand-based.
Do keep in mind Sonic was also planned to be in the original roster. He wasn't a last minute addition to the list, just to the programming, since they couldn't get him early enough. That's what disrupted the development plans.

All 39 playable characters were planned from the start according to Sakurai. That also means the Forbidden 7(whatever Pra_Mai is, Dixie Kong, Toon Zelda, Toon Sheik, Mewtwo, Dr. Mario, and Roy) were going to be in. So a 46 roster(depending on what Pra_Mai is. If it was some weird spelling of Plusule & Minun, which I don't believe it is, it probably was like Ice Climbers, but had no work done, so only one small file names at best. Then again, I think IC's have one file name anyway, so. At least among these particular set of character name files. Only transformations like Charizard has their own file name, not straight-out partner characters).

Staarih

Smash Master
I don't think there's necessarily any weird shenanigans for the last character because of timing - they could very well be revealed in September, it would still be "a while" and follow the pattern we've seen thus far. If it does stretch to December, then I think there may be a reason for the delay.

I can, however, see that the last character may be one with negotiations having occurred very last minute or decided later than normal for FP2 (compared to the other fighters); thus the sixth slot.

Last edited:

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Do keep in mind Sonic was also planned to be in the original roster. He wasn't a last minute addition to the list, just to the programming, since they couldn't get him early enough. That's what disrupted the development plans.

All 39 playable characters were planned from the start according to Sakurai. That also means the Forbidden 7(whatever Pra_Mai is, Dixie Kong, Toon Zelda, Toon Sheik, Mewtwo, Dr. Mario, and Roy) were going to be in. So a 46 roster(depending on what Pra_Mai is. If it was some weird spelling of Plusule & Minun, which I don't believe it is, it probably was like Ice Climbers, but had no work done, so only one small file names at best. Then again, I think IC's have one file name anyway, so. At least among these particular set of character name files. Only transformations like Charizard has their own file name, not straight-out partner characters).
Huh, I didn’t know that! A late rights finalization might point towards a big third party character, but I’m leaning towards a character that just didn’t have as much work done on them concept-wise, so they needed some time to tinker out the details regardless of complexity. Still, must’ve been tricky with Steve, Aegis and Kazuya as well and possibly happened with Min Min. Wondering when those concepts were finalized, development-wise

Slime Master

Smash Ace
They wouldn't have announced that there would be 6 fighters unless they had already secured rights to all those characters; if negotiations fell through and they said "oops, it's actually 5 characters" they'd be in pretty hot water. So the latest this character was finalized is, like, right before FP2 was announced. I'd be surprised if that was short enough to cause delays, but I don't claim to know how long this stuff takes.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
They wouldn't have announced that there would be 6 fighters unless they had already secured rights to all those characters; if negotiations fell through and they said "oops, it's actually 5 characters" they'd be in pretty hot water. So the latest this character was finalized is, like, right before FP2 was announced. I'd be surprised if that was short enough to cause delays, but I don't claim to know how long this stuff takes.
While I agree with your point, it's not like they can't easily find another character. They have multiple 1st party options to promote(Pokemon alone).

I don't think they would announce 6 are coming unless they're locked on, though. More of a business practice to be accurate and know what's going on, instead of a case where they need to worry about falling back on someone(it's no worry).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom