• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

volbound1700

Smash Master
I'm actually predicting Doomguy to get mii'd next wave, even if I wouldn't like it, his armor screams mii costume material in case he doesn't get in
I can see that. I also think he is a very, very long shot character at the moment. I don't see it happening.

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
I hope Doomguy is CP11 only because I want hsi trailer to be getting rid of peeps staring at a picture of Cacomallow and praying that it's NOT real, proving them wrong

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
How would you all feel about getting spirit-boards without getting characters?

Do you think you'd personally enjoy that more or less than Mii-Costumes?
I prefer Mii costumes more, especially if they come with music. Spirit boards to me are mostly a means to an end so I can buy more Smash tickets.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

spicynun

Smash Journeyman

Thoughts regarding this speculation?
E.M.M.I. to me just feels like a recency bias thing since Metroid Dread was just announced. Metroid is one of my favorite Nintendo series and I think that would be a cool addition but I've just noticed too many people look at the most recent direct or announcement and base their speculation on that.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
It wouldn't be a smart move imo. Considering the royalties they would have to pay just to get them at all (Sora & Crash specifically) makes it not worth.
I keep saying this but Nintendo would not make negotiations with Disney of all companies just for a Mii costume or spirit event. Sora is fighter or nothing.

Last edited:

Paraster

Smash Lord
I've recently been thinking of the possibility of Frisk being the last fighter and I don't think it's quite as farfetched as it sounds
  • Would continue the trend of franchises that previously missed out on playable status making it into FP2
  • Would be the first true indie rep (is Steve considered an indie rep? Like I know Minecraft started as an indie game but it's one of the highest selling games of all time now, just don't tend to think Minecraft when I think indie anymore)
  • Toby Fox claimed he visited Sakurai’s house, but they only negotiated a Mii costume and song with no spirits unlike Cuphead and Shantae? The lack of spirits is especially odd, considering Sakurai has talked positively about Undertale before
  • Toby Fox in particular is tight with Nintendo and a big Smash fan, even referencing it in Deltarune
  • Toby Fox has worked with Game Freak on Little Town Hero and SwSh, doing music for their games
  • Could greatly help promote Deltarune, which was teased to be coming to Switch in a Nintendo Direct about a week or so before the PS4 version was revealed
  • Undertale turns 6 years old this September
  • Appeals to the west and Japan
  • Undertale begins with Frisk falling down a pit, trailer could perhaps be a continuation of Kazuya’s for this reason
  • Would offer a unique playstyle most likely revolving around alternating between pacifism and genocide
  • The second fighter pass was confirmed earlier in the day of when Sans’ Mii costume was revealed
  • The Mii costumes released alongside Frisk could be from other indie franchises such as Shovel Knight and DDLC, as well as other Undertale mii costumes and spirits
it's still a long shot considering it already got representation through Sans and Megalovania but idk the fact that it didn't get spirits like the other enhanced mii costumes seems odd
This is way more in-depth than my own post on this topic; good job.

You raise a good point on how it's odd that the costume alone was all that came of Sakurai and Fox's meeting. I mentioned the lack of spirits and the potential for a fighter negotiation happening during their meeting, but never bothered to combine the two points.

And I can't believe Fox's collaboration/good relationship with Nintendo never occurred to me.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
E.M.M.I. to me just feels like a recency bias thing to me since Metroid Dread was just announced. Metroid is one of my favorite Nintendo series and I think that would be a cool addition but I've just noticed too many people look at the most recent direct or announcement and base their speculation on that.
Metroid in general is something that needs to wait for next game for more. EMMI is most likely too new to have been something considered by 2018, while Sylux still needs MP4 to show that he's really a big deal.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Seeing Sakurai is big on revisited ideas for Fighters Pass 2, I do think the last character on this pass might be a Zelda character, a BotW Champion even. And if I'd have to choose one, I think Urbosa seems the most likely out of them all.

volbound1700

Smash Master

He really didn't say anything Novel. I think most people are under the belief that it could be a first-party.

One franchise that hasn't been brought up in this thread but just got a new game is Warioware. That might be a franchise that has been written off.

A weird one that I thought of could be an actual Smash IP Character such as Masterhand, Tabuu, or someone else. That does seem like something the team could end the game on.

I do agree that we are not getting anymore characters, at least not in the interim. If Nintendo has a Switch 2 and ports Ultimate, they may go add more DLC pacts but that would be years from now. I think the additional DLC/support Sakurai referenced was Spirit Events, Updates, Multiplayer modes, etc. Just minor content that is typically added to games that are supported after launch.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Seeing Sakurai is big on revisited ideas for Fighters Pass 2, I do think the last character on this pass might be a Zelda character, a BotW Champion even. And if I'd have to choose one, I think Urbosa seems the most likely out of them all.
Sakurai: Here's BotW Zelda instead with the Champions as part of her Final Smash.

volbound1700

Smash Master
It wouldn't be a smart move imo. Considering the royalties they would have to pay just to get them at all (Sora & Crash specifically) makes it not worth.
This is true but then again, we don't know the relationship between companies. Nintendo is already working with SE and apparently Bethesda so Doomguy and Sora could be possible for costumes because of that. Crash would be an odd one though because we haven't gotten any Activision content yet.

Going back to Sakurai's content about additional DLC support after the last pass which I think he is describing just updates, Spirit Events, and Multiplayer events, I could see Mii Costumes come out after the fighter pass as solo purchases.

ARandomFruit

Smash Journeyman
Imagine at the end of Smash after everyone has speculated on tons of different characters and the one we actually get at the end is Bidoof.
And the only song we get from it is the one in this video:
I know people say Smash only ends on low notes but it could happen. :4pacman:

RoboFist

Smash Journeyman

It depends on the characters. I'd hate if Amaterasu was reduced to a grotesque Mii hat, but I could see her Spirit battle being really fun or unique.

I keep going back to the Resident Evil Spirit event. I thought it was really clever and well done. I'd love to see a TWEWY Spirit event for that reason, especially since SE doesn't seem to be releasing any more Mii costumes.

I'd rather have the costumes, but some characters would just work better/feel better represented via Spirits.

By the way, I think a LOT of the most talked about heavy-hitters are going to be costumes or passed over altogether. If Master Chief, Doomguy, Hayabusa, Reimu, or the Knight are going to get any representation in Ultimate, it'll be via costumes.

I have nothing to back that up, but it's what my gut's telling me.

Last edited:

volbound1700

Smash Master
It depends on the characters. I'd hate if Amaterasu was reduced to a grotesque Mii hat, but I could see her Spirit battle being really fun or unique.

I keep going back to the Resident Evil Spirit event. I thought it was really clever and well done. I'd love to see a TWEWY Spirit event for that reason, especially since SE doesn't seem to be releasing any more Mii costumes.

I'd rather have the costumes, but some characters would just work better/feel better represented via Spirits.
The problem with Spirits is most of them just don't feel special. Some of them barely fit the character they are representing and over half the fights are done in 10 seconds because you only have one stock and they have only one stock.

This is my big issue with WOL and I think it was a failure. Concept was good but not implemented right. I cannot understand why Smash doesn't follow the Adventure Mode in Melee and just create sections focused on the IP in the game.

Instead of a generic overworld, why not create a Mario section, Kirby section, LOZ section, etc. The spirits would have been more meaningful if they had been grouped together and fit a generic background. The Street Fighter section of WOL was by far the most memorable and the favorite part of WOL. Castlevania section was probably second although I would have loved the spirits to just have been Castlevania themed in that area.

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
Imagine at the end of Smash after everyone has speculated on tons of different characters and the one we actually get at the end is Bidoof.
And the only song we get from it is the one in this video:
I know people say Smash only ends on low notes but it could happen. :4pacman:
That's not a low note though

Last edited:

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Hot take or whatever: Next Smash game should be a single player experience, like make SSE a full game with Smash Run mechanics or something, make the regular Smash mode a side mode but make the game worth it with just the single player mode.

Quick Gaming (QG)

Smash Lord

You raise a good point on how it's odd that the costume alone was all that came of Sakurai and Fox's meeting. I mentioned the lack of spirits and the potential for a fighter negotiation happening during their meeting, but never bothered to combine the two points.

And I can't believe Fox's collaboration/good relationship with Nintendo never occurred to me.
Frisk is a character I can potentially see fitting as the final character. He's worth keeping an eye out on.
nice to know I'm not entering tinfoil hat territory lol

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Funny story, I had one of those wacky Smash dreams last night. From the brief snippets I can remember, it was already a decent while after the reveal; In this case, Lego Spider-Man. I remember the dream was me going up to suggest Goku was possible now that fourth-parties are on the table. Then, when I woke up this morning, I was going to ask the same thing but then remembered "Oh yeah that was just a dream."

Welp

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero

In my opinion, a Mii Costume's more interactable honestly than a PNG. Like, you can actually play as a costume, a spirit is just a generic power up with a tiny portrait in gameplay.

Obviously the characters that got the best deal (that aren't playable) are characters who have both Mii Costumes AND Spirits, but if I look at Dante who has a Mii Fighter but no spirit versus the RE characters who have spirits but no Mii Fighters, I'm gonna say Dante got the better deal.

Especially since spirits can always be added later down the line at random, but Mii Fighters seem to be much more limited and are only released in waves when a character is released.

Last edited:

Firox

Smash Master
Hot take or whatever: Next Smash game should be a single player experience, like make SSE a full game with Smash Run mechanics or something, make the regular Smash mode a side mode but make the game worth it with just the single player mode.
I was thinking it would be cool if they ported Ultimate as a deluxe version for traditional play, then made a separate one-player smash that is a fully fleshed out 15+ hour action-RPG campaign akin to Subspace Emissary/Smash Run. Imagine it having a story that interweaves 80+ characters into a multiverse-spanning adventure of epic proportions. No way that doesn't sell like gang-busters.

Bobthealligator

Smash Ace
I hope Doomguy is CP11 only because I want hsi trailer to be getting rid of peeps staring at a picture of Cacomallow and praying that it's NOT real, proving them wrong
Cacomallow isn't real, that doesn't mean Doomguy isn't coming but it would have been easy to fake, and I doubt they make mii costumes a year and a half in advance

Quick Gaming (QG)

Smash Lord
Funny story, I had one of those wacky Smash dreams last night. From the brief snippets I can remember, it was already a decent while after the reveal; In this case, Lego Spider-Man. I remember the dream was me going up to suggest Goku was possible now that fourth-parties are on the table. Then, when I woke up this morning, I was going to ask the same thing but then remembered "Oh yeah that was just a dream."

Welp
reminds me of the dream I had before E3 2019's Direct

The Smash trailer started and Geno's splashcard came up, but for some reason he was revealed on Midgard. The trailer ended and it cut to two people sitting at the Treehouse, I don't remember who, and at some point one of them gets up and walks towards the crowd without a word, towards a person in a cloak. They turned them around and it was Steve in a cloak, and the splashcard for him appeared too. Then I woke up. So weird lol

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280

Welp
???

Lego Spider-Man was at E3, don't you remember? It was a sequel to the kazuya trailer, LSM was webbing all of kazuya's victims to safety.

ArkSPiTFirE

Smash Journeyman

I think he's right, but it's not gonna be E.M.M.I just because Dread is coming out near that time. That said, it's pretty difficult to pick Nintendo characters that make sense and aren't already involved in Smash in some way. Pokémon is a very Nintendo thing to add, but we've had Incineroar in Ultimate, and they're very represented. Zelda has one or two BotW options, then all the classic Zelda picks are Assist trophies. Then if we're getting into Assist Trophies, there's Waluigi and Isaac.

There's points against all of them, and you can't completely rule out a last third party...but I still think First Party is the right call when it comes to speculation.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
I was thinking it would be cool if they ported Ultimate as a deluxe version for traditional play, then made a separate one-player smash that is a fully fleshed out 15+ hour action-RPG campaign akin to Subspace Emissary/Smash Run. Imagine it having a story that interweaves 80+ characters into a multiverse-spanning adventure of epic proportions. No way that doesn't sell like gang-busters.
I do think the roster would be smaller to really make sure each character’s gameplay is fleshed out and we can get some solid interactions across franchises etc. but yeah, a single player experience could definitely be a new way to make Smash without trying to top Ultimate in terms of roster

Staarih

Smash Master

I also find the timing of the Sans costume quite convenient, as it came with Banjo and right before any confirmation for further DLC (more confirmed to come in Terry's presentation and Byleth's presentation showing a six slot FP2). There's just enough wiggle room for negotiations etc. for further Undertale content, who knows if the hype for the Sans costume also had an impact.

Though it's mostly the lack of Undertale spirits that gets me, but we shall see.

Last edited:

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
He really didn't say anything Novel. I think most people are under the belief that it could be a first-party.

One franchise that hasn't been brought up in this thread but just got a new game is Warioware. That might be a franchise that has been written off.

A weird one that I thought of could be an actual Smash IP Character such as Masterhand, Tabuu, or someone else. That does seem like something the team could end the game on.

I do agree that we are not getting anymore characters, at least not in the interim. If Nintendo has a Switch 2 and ports Ultimate, they may go add more DLC pacts but that would be years from now. I think the additional DLC/support Sakurai referenced was Spirit Events, Updates, Multiplayer modes, etc. Just minor content that is typically added to games that are supported after launch.
Master Hand would be a perfect choice, I really think it’s the best possible pick for the final fighter. Hopefully with a Crazy Hand Echo but even without it’d be a glorious way to end Ultimate on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom