• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

NotGenerico

Smash Apprentice
I think what prompted the Dante costume was that Nintendo noticed how excited people got when they thought he was going to be the last character in the first Fighter Pass. They had already decided the second Fighter Pass at that point, so the Mii Costume is Nintendo throwing Dante fans a bone and a way to acknowledge the demand for him. I personally believe that this bodes very well for Dante getting in the next game.

RGFS

Smash Journeyman
Sorry, been pretty absent since E3, but watching Kazuya's thing today made me think of something.

I think we should be adding a potential characters complexity to speculation. Unless its about timing, or this character shipping with some huge other-content update, what sort of character would Sakurai be saving for last, to devote all that time to? Steve was hella complicated, Kazuya has like fifty moves...and since we know they don't work on characters one at a time, who could possibly be so utterly complex that they'd need half a year of development time, at least half of it as the sole character in development?
A character with a bunch of unique weapons for basically every move?? Maybe some unique mechanics like reloading, throwing grenades while shooting, or just balancing how the bullets function? This potential character could also come with a few echoes with different stats too. If something like that would make sense for a gunner from GTA or RE tbh. So weird there are no full-on gunners as DLC in a landscape so oversaturated with gunplay games. With how unique and different all the challenges the DLC characters we've had have posed, I wonder if a full-on gunner would be the last thing Sakurai wants to try.

If not, how about that 4 in 1 Zelda champion mechanic??? A new 3 in 1 Pokemon rep???

I would also say Crash and his Quantum Masks or teaming up with Aku Aku could work too for complexity but not only would that probably not be as complicated, but I could also see Sakurai deciding on characters before Crash 4's new mechanics were introduced and simply passing on Crash in general before that. Maybe Crash's simplicity could be the reason we get him last? Deal with the tough characters first and then finish off with a simpler one?

There's a lot of question marks because, after Kazuya, all I can do is be uncertain...

Last edited:

Inferno7

Smash Journeyman
Final smash reveals are usually first party
Pass 2 seems to have a theme of characters who were passed over for one reason or another

Rhythm Heaven?
Yeah I think the same about the last part but not sure about the first one, thing is people have a hard time coming up with someone who fits
Who else do you think could fit this theory? I'm really curious

Last edited:

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Well, I don't like it anywhere near as much as Ultimate's.

It feels way more "Quantity > Quality".

Like, why is the Blazblue rep 13?

Why is the Fate rep Liz?

Why is Metal Face playable?
while there are a lot of clones, it isn't as bad as it might appear.

1. A few of the canon clones have been significantly decloned. Daisy/Dark Pit are a little bit more distinct, and DSamus/Lucina are so different they might as well be considered newcomers.
2. Some of the new clones are also pretty different. Characters like Pit, Snake, and Bowser were heavily changed in PM, their respective clones are closer to their Ultimate incarnations. Alph is a more consistent Olimar. There are also a few characters who look like they might be clones but are actually unique, like Fierce Diety, Ninten, and Phantom Ganon.

as for the other questions... I don't know. I don't really mind the odd choices, though.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
If not, how about that 4 in 1 Zelda champion mechanic??? A new 3 in 1 Pokemon rep???
I feel like the only way we were able to get Pyra & Mythra was via Mythra being a clone of Pyra. Thus I could only see a new PT if, say, it's someone whose signature Pokemon include a Pikaclone like Elesa or something else that can clearly reuse assets from an existing fighter.

Noipoi

Howdy!
Yeah I think the same about the last part but not sure about the first one, thing is people have a hard time coming up with someone who fits
Hell if I know

I talk about Decidueye because the mention of a Pokémon makes everyone squirm, but truthfully I don’t think it has much of a chance. And mayyybe the Champions? But we don’t know if they were passed over.

Aside from that I’ve got no idea bro.

Last edited:

DittoInDisguise

Smash Apprentice
Dixie Kong, Ayumi and Waluigi are the big three that come to mind (along side a rhythm heaven rep).

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
Hell if I know

I talk about Decidueye because the mention of a Pokémon makes everyone squirm, but truthfully I don’t think it has much of a chance. And mayyybe the Champions? But we don’t know if they were passed over.

Probably because Gen 8 sucks and it's so bad that no one wants a fighter from that generation.

(Shame that I would love to see Toxtricity.)

Edit: something something fearmongering

Last edited:

Noipoi

Howdy!
Probably because Gen 8 sucks and it's so bad that no one wants a fighter from that generation.

Regardless of your opinions on gen 8, if Nintendo wanted it, they’d make it happen.

I don’t think online discourse would scare them away.

Paraster

Smash Lord
Boys, I had a CP11 idea, hear me out:

If Nintendo wanted to deliberately end things in a wacky and shocking way, Tabuu seems like the best (or at least simplest) direction to take.

Honestly, I'd be happy with him; he'd be insane and probably very fun. Could even fit the idea that the final trailer will feature Galeem vs Dharkon--Tabuu reclaiming his spot as the Smash final boss. And we could maybe get remixes of older Smash songs for the music. And his splash text could be based on how character names appear in Subspace Emissary.

...okay, this is a legitimately exciting idea to me now.

Last edited:

Inferno7

Smash Journeyman
Hell if I know

mmm... I don't think it's the fact that people dread it, but more so that it was either him or Incineroar when it came to Pokémon. Picking two reps from the same Gen wouldn't be a smart choice at all imo.
Dixie Kong, Ayumi and Waluigi are the big three that come to mind (along side a rhythm heaven rep).
Doubtful about Dixie, I feel like they gave priority to K. Rool over her

Waluigi seems very possible, since even Reggie addressed the complaints back in the day. It would feel kinda weird tho because you'd think they could save him for Smash 6 as our big bombshell newcomer. There's also the Spirit Board issue.

Ayumi has legit evidence unlike these two and her biggest hurdle has been removed now that her game is localized, but I feel like the community's reception wouldn't be particularly positive.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Saying it sucks is kinda overboard. It wasn’t a breath of the wild masterpiece like people assumed the jump from handheld to Switch would make it. They ported a lot of the assets from sun/moon and didn’t make as much from scratch as we had hoped, but the open areas were fun; the raid battles addicting; the Pokémon designs fantastic; and the DLC islands were actually really good as well.

People are just butt-hurt that it didn’t bring back every single Pokémon ever created for it. Could they have taken another year to make those islands non-DLC?

Sure!

But just because they didn’t doesn’t mean the game sucked. It was better than Gen 7 and many would consider it better than Gen 6 as well (that Gen had ZERO post game).

Last edited by a moderator:

Shroob

Sup?
So

We have 2 blank spots in the source code for incoming update notes.

Anyone wanna take a shot at what those'll be?

It seems like promo spirits, but....what exactly?

Inferno7

Smash Journeyman
So

Spirits most likely, someone's about to get deconfirmed soon I imagine

As for who, I think it will be SMT or Famicom Detective Club

Last edited:

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
So

here's my bet: The Warden, for Minecraft.

Caves and Cliffs was supposed to have released in full by now, and the Warden is easily the most interesting mob from the whole update (sorry goat)

7NATOR

Smash Master
Actually This is kind of Small, but there is something that might suggest Something Shin Megami Tensi related coming in CP11

I Imagine the main reason Dante came with Kazuya was because both are heavily associated with Devils and all that (which is why I wasn't surprised Dante was made a Mii, or even in this pack).

This is also the case with Shin Megami Tensi, as that franchise is based around the demons, but no Costume from the Franchise showed up, and considering the relation between Dante and Shin Megami Tensi, it is pretty interesting in it's absence

Considering that Nintendo seems to be pushing the Shin Megami Tensi V game, and that Persona content is already in Smash, I do find that there will at least be something Shin Megami Tensi content in the future, and the absence in this pack might help the case on that front as well

Inferno7

Smash Journeyman
Actually This is kind of Small, but there is something that might suggest Something Shin Megami Tensi related coming in CP11

I Imagine the main reason Dante came with Kazuya was because both are heavily associated with Devils and all that (which is why I wasn't surprised Dante was made a Mii, or even in this pack).

This is also the case with Shin Megami Tensi, as that franchise is based around the demons, but no Costume from the Franchise showed up, and considering the relation between Dante and Shin Megami Tensi, it is pretty interesting in it's absence

Considering that Nintendo seems to be pushing the Shin Megami Tensi V game, and that Persona content is already in Smash, I do find that there will at least be something Shin Megami Tensi content in the future, and the absence in this pack might help the case on that front as well
I feel like if we aren't gonna get a Sonic rep this pass, it's kinda obvious they would go with SMT to advertise their new game

Sega is just in a real good spot right now, the only issue is guessing who they would choose

Aboyd

Smash Cadet
So

SMT III, Miitopia, Famicom Detective Club, New Pokémon Snap, maybe even Devil May Cry and Skyrim just because of the new costumes

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
SMTV's in this weird spot where it won't get a spirit event until the DLC ends, assuming we're not waiting until TGA for CP11

But at the same time, it was a BIG title that was announced alongside the Switch itself in the presentation, and Nintendo seems to be going full steam ahead in promoting it.

I really, really doubt the SMTV protag is in, but at the same time, it is an RPG that Nintendo's heavily investing in its success, iirc outright publishing it in some territories.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
It's been a while since I asked this question: thoughts on this roster? It's the current roster of one of the biggest Brawl mods, PMEX remix.
Well, it's certainly interesting. There's a couple series I feel should be trimmed - The standard Mario/Pokemon/Fire Emblem trio, plus Zelda - But aside from that it seems pretty fun. I don't really mind the oddball picks; Smash usually adheres to the most prominent characters of a series, and while that has some wiggle room as :ultminmin:ultpyra::ultkazuya:showed, it's still kinda restricting. I say embrace the weirdness and give something different from what Nintendo gives us officially.

zumaddy

Smash Ace
It's incredibly unlikely but if I was given the choice to put in a Gen 8 Pokemon....

zappy.jpg

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
but at the same time, it is an RPG that Nintendo's heavily investing in its success, iirc outright publishing it in some territories.
How much of the SMTV protagonist was finalized when FP2's character choices were? I think something like that would be very important to Sakurai, he wouldn't want another repeat of Roy's personality not matching the final game.

Shroob

Sup?
How much of the SMTV protagonist was finalized when FP2's character choices were? I think something like that would be very important to Sakurai, he wouldn't want another repeat of Roy's personality not matching the final game.
We have no idea. The game was only just finally dragged out of the unknown last year, but we don't know how much was being done behind the scenes.

The timeline of events goes like:

SMTV shown off alongside Switch > Radio silence until ****ing 2020 > HUGE drop of news 2021 and releasing same year.

Last edited:

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
My power was unexpected out for most of the day due to storms so I've playing catch up most of the day.

Not the best presentation IMO but solid overall. I was kind of expecting Sakurai to give more of a history lesson or be a bit more jokey. You can definitely tell he's a fighting game fan through and through just that Tekken isn't his go to series.

Kazuya seems like he'll be one of the hardest to pick up and play in the roster but also among the most rewarding to master and entertaining to watch in action. I fully expect he'll take a while before showing results in tournaments especially compared to the previous Pyra/Mythra. Online though, he'll probably benefit from the more laggy environment defensively, but offensively I'm curious to know how easy his combos will be able to be pulled off.

39 songs is fantastic but I have no idea about the original context of any of them. That said, apparently there is a yodeling song so every other song in the game is now beneath it. Top of the mountain sort to speak. :troll:

The Mii costumes didn't really surprise me personally as I never had much stock on any of them aside from maybe Lloyd purely as the token Namco rep. I get why people wanted them though and were never characters I would have counted out. Shantae getting a music track is nice and pretty much guarantees I'll pick her up; I picked up Sans & Cuphead at least and I've never played their games. lol

Only Min Min's amiibo being revealed was slightly surprising but given that 2022 release date maybe not so much? I was really expecting another amiibo or two this year. I'd assume COVID but it's disappointing to say the least. Hopefully she'll eventually be released with Steve. I really hope we don't have to wait for Kazuya/CP11 to be 2023.

If we are getting two extra spirits per speculation I wouldn't be surprised if they are both for Famicom Detective Club. A spirit for each of the two games. Mario Golf maybe, but I think there is a good chance we'll see a Spirit Event for it some upcoming weekend.

We have 6 months before the deadline for Vol 2 comes up. I think the longer it goes on the more likely we'll see a promotional pick personally. I think it's almost guaranteed that like Byleth, CP11 will be revealed the day of Sakurai's presentation, which like Corrin/Bayonetta will also be a celebration of the game being finished.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
I mean, that's not going to be a problem because SMT main characters are silent protagonists.

We probably already saw most of his personality. Sure, dialogue and story options will likely flesh him out but it's not like you can exactly represent those in Smash.

Shroob

Sup?
To add on to this, the simplest answer in regards to personality is frankly, what personality. SMT protagonists are as blank slate as you can get, they kinda have to be because the whole. Law, Neutral, Chaos routes, they can't show a whole lot of personality.

The demons though, are where the personality shines, and even back then, it seems like they already had a good idea of who they were going to include, which is consistent with what we've been shown in more recent footage, and the demons, personality-wise, are pretty consistent between games. If anything, it'd be less about the SMTV protagonist, and more about what demons he drags along with him.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
To add on to this, the simplest answer in regards to personality is frankly, what personality. SMT protagonists are as blank slate as you can get, they kinda have to be because the whole. Law, Neutral, Chaos routes, they can't show a whole lot of personality.

The demons though, are where the personality shines, and even back then, it seems like they already had a good idea of who they were going to include, which is consistent with what we've been shown in more recent footage, and the demons, personality-wise, are pretty consistent between games. If anything, it'd be less about the SMTV protagonist, and more about what demons he drags along with him.
I was using Roy's Melee personality as a difference between what Sakurai had to work with and the final product, not saying the SMTV protagonist had a personality change.

XorahnGaia

Smash Journeyman
So

I think they will just be the notifications that the Sophia and Arthur Spirits are available for everyone now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom