• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
So could a 3-in-1 Chorus Kids work then?
Well, if the data is accurate, it was more due to polygon count?

If so, then yes, they would. They're very simple character designs. However, I couldn't say even my knowledge if it's actually a viable idea. It might not work for 8-Player Smash due to that many animations at once. A ton of animations, even simple ones, has the potential for lag.

I'm not a programmer outright, so I have light knowledge of the idea.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Less then 24 hours until the presentation and i really hope Lloyd makes it out alive just for the chaos this would create for speculation.

Lloyd right now:
View attachment 320766
:4pacman:
If the Lloyd mii costume doesn't arrive, that basically guarantees he's the last character because why else would they make an exception to disuse such a simple mii costume when Namco and Nintendo work so close together?

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
If the Lloyd mii costume doesn't arrive, that basically guarantees he's the last character because why else would they make an exception to disuse such a simple mii costume when Namco and Nintendo work so close together?
To bundle him with a character from another RPG whose music was composed by Motoi Sakuraba

MattX20

Smash Hero
But yeah, the Chorus Kid concept could work if they have you play as one Chorus Kid and the other 2 show up for specific attacks. Remember that you only control one in the games themselves, and it would be more faithful to the source material as opposed to having 3 at the same time. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYRx9QKhhhg

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Well, if the data is accurate, it was more due to polygon count?

If so, then yes, they would. They're very simple character designs. However, I couldn't say even my knowledge if it's actually a viable idea. It might not work for 8-Player Smash due to that many animations at once. A ton of animations, even simple ones, has the potential for lag.

I'm not a programmer outright, so I have light knowledge of the idea.
As Matt mentioned. A single Chorus Kid with the other two appearing for specific attacks, intro, and final smash. That seems to be probably the more likely case if they're our last character.

Dr. Jojo Phantasma

The Chessmaster
Off-topic, but iff we are going to take the whole “Smash ends on a low note” argument seriously, then by definition the likes of Waluigi, Dixie, Bandana Dee, Skull Kid and Isaac would not be viable as they are popularly requested characters and would fit the status of “too good to be true” for a lot if people.

What I am saying is that we are getting a 9th Fire Emblem character as the last fighter. :troll:
Honestly I wouldn't mind more FE characters. Still plenty unique things we can include like a Horseman or Pegasus Rider. :4pacman:

Jocario Zero

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-2327-1796-5400
Not necessarily Lloyd but definitely a Tales-character.

I'm sure that Lloyds costume will show up tomorrow.
But for the unlikely case that it doesn't...the next few months until the reveal of CP11 will be very interesting/ entertaining.

UltimateCyborgOverlord

Smash Champion
I think the Kingdom Hearts lore is hilarious. I like that a series starring Donald Duck has a crazy plot that requires playing like 13 games.
Regarding Kingdom Hearts haha I love the idea that Tifa and Aerith have not only met Goofy but know him by name haha

Goofy_Goof.png

Haha that's right! GOOFY knows Tifa and Aerith better than the people simpin after them. Go to try to talk to them and they're kinda indifferent to you but then GOOFY shows up all "A-hyuck, HOWDY Tifa hohohoho a-hyuck!" "Gawrsh, how's it going, Aerith? A-hyuck" and he gets on more friendly terms with them than any of us ever will hahahaha

GOOFY man.. I love him hahahahahaha more Goofy is always good.

Also Goofy told of Sephiroth the one time... just look at Sephiroth and know that once upon a time... he got told off by Goofy when asking where Cloud is.

Dr. Jojo Phantasma

The Chessmaster
Not necessarily Lloyd but definitely a Tales-character.

I'm sure that Lloyds costume will show up tomorrow.
But for the unlikely case that it doesn't...the next few months until the reveal of CP11 will be very interesting/ entertaining.
Since Lloyd would be fitting with a swordsman and/or RPG character, Falcom and Dante supporters would be all

giphy.gif

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Perhaps because they're instead adding him in as brutal Omega Rugal-tier boss fight instead?

I dunno, just spitballing here :drshrug:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Honestly I wouldn't mind more FE characters. Still plenty unique things we can include like a Horseman or Pegasus Rider. :4pacman:
Same. There are a lot of Fire Emblem characters left that I really like and would be cool in Smash. A lot of my favorites are side characters like Naesala, Tharja, Rinkah, and Petra but even more major characters like the Black Knight and Dimitri would be great.

UltimateCyborgOverlord

Smash Champion
Nope. No Lloyd Mii returning. Only Red Shell. Lloyd is... mysteriously missing for.... reasons.... BURGER KING related reasons

Technomage

Smash Champion
I think the series is too realistic to get a fighter.
I disagree, because all these characters practically come from different dimensions; thus, it'd make sense that characters would have different artstyles, feels, and physics (for example, while Mario's appearance would be considered "normal" in the Mario-verse, he'd be considered a "freak show" in the Metal Gear-verse).

volbound1700

Smash Master
Either that or another Pokemon.
I am not a fan of Pokemon but would Pokemon be considered ending on a low note? Pokemon is an extremely popular IP (far more so than even FE). It is popular to the point that it doesn't seem oversaturated (kind of like Mario franchise). Funny, I have never played a Pokemon game and don't desire to play one but I find all of the Pokemon characters entertaining and fun. I don't think there is one that isn't fun.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I am not a fan of Pokemon but would Pokemon be considered ending on a low note? Pokemon is an extremely popular IP (far more so than even FE). It is popular to the point that it doesn't seem oversaturated (kind of like Mario franchise). Funny, I have never played a Pokemon game and don't desire to play one but I find all of the Pokemon characters entertaining and fun. I don't think there is one that isn't fun.
Yeah but we have people who complains about "Too many Pokemon" the same way as Fire Emblem although unlike Fire Emblem that Pokemon earns all the reps it has being amongst Nintendo's most recognizable IPs alongside Mario.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
For me, it completely depends on which Pokémon they go with. I personally find Cinderace to be a pretty boring choice but if they added one of my favorites, I’d be almost as hyped as I was for Sephiroth.

volbound1700

Smash Master
Yeah but we have people who complains about "Too many Pokemon" the same way as Fire Emblem although unlike Fire Emblem that Pokemon earns all the reps it has being amongst Nintendo's most recognizable IPs alongside Mario.
Another thing going for Pokemon is that they have far more diverse move sets compared to Fire Emblem move sets that mostly utilize sword moves (Byleth, Corrin, and Robin are kind of exceptions). If the Fire Emblem case was more diverse, I think there would have been a little more positive reception (I still think it would be negative though). Pokemon is pretty mainstream with the toy line, shows, etc. This is something Fire Emblem doesn't have an advantage with.

I just don't see Pokemon as being a "low point" to end on. I could be wrong though.

Chorus Kids ring a bell as a winner for a low point even though they probably would have an interesting move set and would be fun to play. The fact is they will receive salt because they are not Crash, Masterchief, Sora, or Ryu Hayabusa.

For me, it completely depends on which Pokémon they go with. I personally find Cinderace to be a pretty boring choice but if they added one of my favorites, I’d be almost as hyped as I was for Sephiroth.
I could see your argument here. That is a good point. The character chosen would impact it too. I think there are other FE characters they could have gone with instead of Byleth and they would have been better received.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Another thing going for Pokemon is that they have far more diverse move sets compared to Fire Emblem move sets that mostly utilize sword moves (Byleth, Corrin, and Robin are kind of exceptions). If the Fire Emblem case was more diverse, I think there would have been a little more positive reception (I still think it would be negative though). Pokemon is pretty mainstream with the toy line, shows, etc. This is something Fire Emblem doesn't have an advantage with.

I just don't see Pokemon as being a "low point" to end on. I could be wrong though.
The thing is people who are against Pokemon don't really care about how Pokemon characters play or how big the franchise is.

If you look at the complaints, a vast majority simply doesn't want a Gen 8 starter Pokemon for various reasons, which seems like the most likely addition from the series.

volbound1700

Smash Master
The thing is people who are against Pokemon don't really care about how Pokemon characters play or how big the franchise is.

If you look at the complaints, a vast majority simply doesn't want a Gen 8 starter Pokemon for various reasons, which seems like the most likely addition from the series.
To be fair to the people that are against another Pokemon rep, it is probably because they just want a new franchise to be represented instead of adding to a franchise that has 8-11 (depending on how you classify Trainer) characters. I can see that argument.

At least with Chorus Kids, you get a new IP. This is why FE takes a lot of heat as well, it just isn't anything new. Also, there will be a crowd that is disappointed because we didn't get Crash, Doomguy, Ryu Hayabusa, Masterchief, Rayman, etc. These characters have been constantly clamored for since the start of the first DLC pact. There is going to be a letdown if it isn't one of those characters (and that will likely be the case).

volbound1700

Smash Master
You know there's gotta be at least one lucky duck out there that knows who the last character is and isn't telling ANYBODY, NOT A SOUL! They're just sitting there enjoying the discourse amongst the speculators with popcorn in hand.

View attachment 320770
More than one persons :). I would say that there isn't many people in the United States that would know the character. I think Sakurai probably keeps development of characters very closed and only involves the exact people that are required.

Going back to the Rayman evidence for example. One thing that I forgot to mention was the Nintendo of America response to the girl from Kansas or Nebraska that was asking about Rayman. I don't think NOA knows who the DLC Character is until a week or so before the reveal (maybe some of the marketing people know earlier just for translation purposes). That letter could be used as evidence but it is doubtful that it is any real evidence the character is coming. To me, it is very WEAK evidence. I agreed that all of my points with Rayman are WEAK but I disagree that he isn't on the radar. He is just very unlikely. Characters like Chorus Kid are far more likely.

The thing is, there is very little FACTs to actually go off of with Smash Speculation. Even Sakurai's comments are very cryptic, poorly translated, or both and he has often went against some of his comments in the past. I really don't think there is a WRONG opinion from anyone.

MattX20

Smash Hero
One more thing that should be mentioned regarding Rhythm Heaven and Smash Bros. When it comes to characters that could be used for spirits, the base game didn't even get HALF of the options that could appear, thus we could get a much more substantial spirit board with less repetition https://rhythmheaven.fandom.com/wiki/Characters and there's a lot more music than the 3 tracks already in the base game to work with. Rhythm Heaven has more than enough to work with for music, spirits, and stages.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Don't forget Fire Theory, Thirst Theory and Neutral B Projectile Theory. :4pacman:
Sephiroth is the only Fighters Pass Vol. 2 character with a projectile as a Neutral Special

Wat?

...Ashley's from WarioWare. They may have the same developers, but they're not the same series.
I know that, but the Space-Rabbits in particular appear in the WarioWare series as well.

EDIT: Thus, they're pretty much the only way Rhythm Heaven would even get more representation.

Last edited:

SKX31

Smash Master
also, meme for tomorrow:

Kazuya’s presentation be like
So Kazuya is Kratos?

Well, now that explains the scene where Kratos kills Poseidon and tosses him off a mountain perfectly.

:4pacman:

Also, in general industry news:

This is a game I've noted in the past as part of Konami's "let other devs handle our IP" strategy, and was a bit confused myself over the fact that it hasn't seen a release until now.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
So what's everyone's Mii predictions tomorrow?

Mine are

Chosen Undead (Swordfighter)
Dig Dug (Gunner; Deluxe)
Kuma and Panda Hats
Jin (Brawler)
Lloyd Irving (Swordfighter)

MattX20

Smash Hero
So what's everyone's Mii predictions tomorrow?

Mine are

Chosen Undead (Swordfighter)
Dig Dug (Gunner; Deluxe)
Kuma and Panda Hats
Jin (Brawler)
Lloyd Irving (Swordfighter)
Apart from Lloyd, I'm taking it as a wait and see approach as I'm not sure how many Tekken characters or other Bandai Namco IPs will get the nod. That, and there is the possibility for more promotional spirits to show up like with Pyra and Mythra's update, so I'm keeping that in mind for tomorrow as well.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
One thing I've just noticed is that this is our second character in this pass that isn't a zoner (and I'd say the first to not play any sort of mid-range game, but he might have the jukes for it and Pyra seems to be pretty unga bunga so that might not be accurate). Thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom