• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
So, if Phoenix Wright turns out to be the last fighter for Ultimate, would you be okay with it? I've been in a bit of a debate on a Discord server over whether or not he or Dante are more likely, the most I've gotten from the Dante side is just the recent Switch ports (only one of which has any new content) over the longer, more substantial history of the Ace Attorney series on Nintendo consoles.
Absolutely ecstatic. Phoenix is one of my Top 3 most wanteds so I’d lose it.

Although, I’d say Dante has the better chance. His games have just sold way more and hes been around longer. Still think Phoenix has a good shot at Capcoms Slot if they get CP11.

Inferno7

Smash Journeyman
He’s not really one of my most wanted but I’d be okay with just about anyone. Phoenix could be pretty funny judging by his portrayal in Marvel vs Capcom.
His moveset would be really funny, especially his paperwork throw like he does in MvC3.
And I don't say that about any character with wacky abilities

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
So, if Phoenix Wright turns out to be the last fighter for Ultimate, would you be okay with it? I've been in a bit of a debate on a Discord server over whether or not he or Dante are more likely, the most I've gotten from the Dante side is just the recent Switch ports (only one of which has any new content) over the longer, more substantial history of the Ace Attorney series on Nintendo consoles.
I'd be really hyped and excited and satisfied with how Ultimate ended. Phoenix is one of my most current wants.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Absolutely ecstatic. Phoenix is one of my Top 3 most wanteds so I’d lose it.

Although, I’d say Dante has the better chance. His games have just sold way more and hes been around longer. Still think Phoenix has a good shot at Capcoms Slot if they get CP11.
No, he really hasn't. The first Ace Attorney game released in 2001 for the GBA. DMC and Ace Attorney are the same age, and as I recall, Phoenix had a lot more support during the ballot era.

Arctiq

Smash Journeyman
I've always wanted Phoenix in ever since Ultimate's launch. UMVC3 proves he can have a unique moveset. We also haven't had a capcom rep as DLC yet, so his chances are really high. I'd say more likely than Dante or Resident Evil.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
No, he really hasn't. The first Ace Attorney game released in 2001 for the GBA. DMC and Ace Attorney are the same age, and as I recall, Phoenix had a lot more support during the ballot era.
I mean, Shin Megami Tensei started on the Famicom and aside from 3, was an almost strictly Nintendo series.

We got a Persona 5 character, that series which is almost Sony exclusive aside from PC ports and 2 spinoffs.

MattX20

Smash Hero
I mean, Shin Megami Tensei started on the Famicom and aside from 3, was an almost strictly Nintendo series.

We got a Persona 5 character, that series which is almost Sony exclusive aside from PC ports and 2 spinoffs.
I was talking series age and the fact Phoenix had more overall support on most places beyond Smashboards. Even Japanese sites mentioned Phoenix more often than Dante

SharkLord

Smash Hero

Adding onto this, Devil May Cry has sold about 23 million copies, compared to Ace Attorney's 8.1 million. Now, sales aren't everything - Heck, mainline SMT's still sold more than Persona - But the guy didn't answer the part about Dante's game's selling more and I felt someone ought to put that info out there.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Are you sure about that?

Because like, the big Japanese fan poll that people here looked at in like 2019 put Dante in 1# spot, with Xenoblade 2 as 2nd.
That fan poll apparently isn't the official results of anything and was just gathered based on limited results. The Japanese sites I visited brought up Phoenix much more often, though Dante was at the lowest top 10.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
If they do add Phoenix, and he has his Level 3 Super from Ultimate Marvel Vs. Capcom 3 in any way, I really hope they give every character a Phoenix Right style breakdown animation.
Examples:
  • Samus's Power Suit being destroyed.
  • Pichu shocking itself and fainting.
  • Meta Knight's mask breaking off.
  • Mega Man finally showing a goshdarn emotion for once.
  • Duck Hunt's duck pecking the dog. Alternatively, the Duck Hunt getting pelted with zapper shots.
  • Ryu becoming Evil Ryu.
  • Steve just...falls over.

Flik

Smash Journeyman
Usually not a fan of non-action characters doing wack **** in fighting games so phoenix wright would be a big dissapointment to me.

Last edited:

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
If they do add Phoenix, and he has his Level 3 Super from Ultimate Marvel Vs. Capcom 3 in any way, I really hope they give every character a Phoenix Right style breakdown animation.
Examples:
  • Samus's Power Suit being destroyed.
  • Pichu shocking itself and fainting.
  • Meta Knight's mask breaking off.
  • Mega Man finally showing a goshdarn emotion for once.
  • Duck Hunt's duck pecking the dog. Alternatively, the Duck Hunt getting pelted with zapper shots.
  • Ryu becoming Evil Ryu.
  • Steve just...falls over.
Please, I’ve seen this brought up a few times and it would be my favorite character detail in the series.

KillerCage

Smash Master
I got a personal attachment to Phoenix, so I would be A-Okay with him.

Inferno7

Smash Journeyman
Usually not a fan of non-action characters doing whack **** in fighting games so phoenix wright would be a big dissapointment to me.
I'm kinda the same, but I think I'd make an exception with Phoenix because of MvC3 and his overall merits. I'd still pick Dante over him any day of the week though, but I would be willing to accept him is all.

I personally think wacky fighters can be good in the right amount, as in, they don't bloat the roster or overshadow/take spots from the actual baddy characters. That's one of the main reasons I didn't like Isabelle's inclusion, they used a lot of dev time to try and make her ''unique'' , when the end product was mediocre at best. Also getting in over ATs such as Skull Kid, Shadow or most recently Zero, all of which would be 100x times more fun to play as.

inb4 first party and deserving, yeah I know, but that wasn't my point

JustPlainDan

Smash Apprentice
Considering that he’s my 2nd most wanted, I’d be very happy if Phoenix was the final character.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Dante and Nick are so wildly different with a lot of reasons why they'd be considered deserving over the other but really, trying to put them up against each other feels weird as most people who like 1 Capcom franchise generally like others, they're both excellent in damn near every way
Yeah, just about any Capcom character would be "based" as they say.

Does that mean other characters are acidic?

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Yes I'd be very okay with it

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
So....

Vergeben lost his old source huh?

Finally, he's irrelevant (even though he's been irrelevant for the past year, but still.)
Verge cut ties with one of his oldest sources. Not his Smash source. Granted, he also affirms that his Smash source did not know about Kazuya beforehand.

ShrimpScampi

Smash Journeyman
Phoenix getting in as CP11 would be the absolute best outcome for me. Ace Attorney is a series very close to my heart, both for the games themselves and because it's a franchise my sister and I managed to get our entire family into. (Our dog is even named after Maya.) Plus it would make for fantastic bookends, if my hypest reveals (Joker and Phoenix) were the opener and closer to Ultimate's DLC -- aside from Plant, who was revealed along with the final base-game inclusions.

When it comes to his chances, I think he's certainly possible, but I'm trying not to put my bets on anyone right now. The Heihachi Mii happening with Min Min instead of Kazuya has boosted my opinion of a Capcom rep's chances in general, but even within Capcom, Nick has some tough competition.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
I love Ace Attorney, so I'd be more than OK with it.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Yeah, just about any Capcom character would be "based" as they say.

Does that mean other characters are acidic?
No because calling MvC2's OST based jazz is silly
Our dog is even named after Maya
Wait so if you're cooking burgers and the dog steals them, would that mean the entire family will slap their knees and laugh instead of taking issue with that behaivour? Now that I think about it, Maya chases a car in Spirit of Justice so perhaps the dog connection works better than expected

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
Ace Attorney has never really been my cup of tea but I still have some form of appreciation for the series. I'd be cool with it even if I'd rather have other Capcom characters.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Phoenix Wright vs Dante is essentially two kings of their genres duking it out.

Ace Attorney is the most popular visual novel franchise worldwide.

Devil May Cry is THE action game series.

Both are gaming all stars imo.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
No because calling MvC2's OST based jazz is silly
MvC2's stage themes are weird.

"So this game is about the greatest heroes and villains of Marvel and Capcom goin' at it. What should we do for the stage themes?"
"How about some of the most chill songs you've ever heard?"
"Er, not quite the vibe I was expecting, but let's keep things going."
"How about some tunes that sound like they're all getting ready for a child's birthday party?"
"Uh...okaaaay?"
"And then...I dunno how about a song that's actually kind of upbeat, and then there's just a bunch of random lyrics."

Last edited:

Noipoi

Howdy!
100% down it’d be funny.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Wait so if you're cooking burgers and the dog steals them, would that mean the entire family will slap their knees and laugh instead of taking issue with that behaivour? Now that I think about it, Maya chases a car in Spirit of Justice so perhaps the dog connection works better than expected
Only if the burgers are suspiciously shaped like ramen

Sophitia

Smash Cadet
I see people speculating between Dante and Phoenix Wright, but I don't know if either of them would get in over MH or RE, since those 2 franchises are much bigger. MH in particular it seems like would get a rep first.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
MvC2's stage themes are weird.

"So this game is about the greatest heroes and villains of Marvel and Capcom goin' at it. What should we do for the stage themes?"
"How about some of the most chill songs you've ever heard?"
"Er, not quite the vibe I was expecting, but let's keep things going."
"How about some tunes that sound like they're all getting ready for a child's birthday party?"
"Uh...okaaaay?"
"And then...I dunno how about a song that's actually kind of upbeat, and then there's just a bunch of random lyrics."
To give us this kind of feeling in Smash, we may need some GG Strive songs

Inferno7

Smash Journeyman
I see people speculating between Dante and Phoenix Wright, but I don't know if either of them would get in over MH or RE, since those 2 franchises are much bigger. MH in particular it seems like would get a rep first.
I personally think RE has been highly slept on due to the spirit event, just like how Tekken was before Kazuya's presentation due to the mii costume. It's quite possible that if we are gonna get a Capcom rep, it's gonna be from there.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom