• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Come to think of it, have you noticed that a lot of the new franchises introduced in Vol. 2 all have lame as hell and unspecific series symbols? ARMS uses a symbol from a tournament even though there's an in-universe logo for the Grand Prix, Minecraft uses a block resembling the computer start-up...thing (I forgot what it was called) even though the Creeper face is more recognizable even to people who don't play Minecraft, and Tekken just uses Kazuya's right hand even they literally have the kanji for "iron fist" (鉄拳) that the game is named after.

Goombaic

Smash Ace
Come to think of it, have you noticed that a lot of the new franchises introduced in Vol. 2 all have lame as hell and unspecific series symbols? ARMS uses a symbol from a tournament even though there's an in-universe logo for the Grand Prix, Minecraft uses a block resembling the computer start-up...thing (I forgot what it was called) even though the Creeper face is more recognizable even to people who don't play Minecraft, and Tekken just uses Kazuya's right hand even they literally have the kanji for "iron fist" (鉄拳) that the game is named after.
I thought the grass block was a good emblem for Minecraft. :079:
Is it weird to simultaneously think it would be a bad look for Bandai Namco to get a third rep as the last character, but also be kind of stuck on the idea Tamagotchi has sold 82 Million units as of 2017?
Even while basing character speculation off sales numbers alone (which 9/10 will lead to terrible conclusions) there's still a handful of 100+ million selling franchises that could be added.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Except it isn't generic considering it's the same kind of glove the two younger Mishima wear. It's their most defining piece of gear.
I know it is but that's why it's not great as a series emblem. It only represents specific characters rather than the franchise overall. If it was like Fire Emblem where there isn't an overarching symbol it'd be fine, but Tekken is actually a tournament that exists in-universe.

Also let's not kid ourselves. It's Kazuya's most iconic piece of gear but that's not really saying much. For anyone who isn't familiar with Tekken it's meaningless and generic. It's like if Fatal Fury had Terry's hat as its icon, sure you can point at Terry's design and it's there but that hardly makes it a good choice to rep the series.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
I just hope that chokeslam move is a true grab

doesnt tekken rage go away once u spend it on a move ?
Yeah. When Kazuya uses that move his red aura goes away. So I guess he will be able to do one Rage attack for stock, well, like in Tekken, assuming said Rage attack actually damages the opponent.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Out of curiosity, how would people react to a Dragon King fighter being CP11 since SSB was Dragon King’s “successor”?
Possibly the worst possible addition to the game I could feasibly think of since the only people that would even remotely enjoy that would be people who read that factoid on a website somewhere and have zero interests in any other video games on the planet.

Last edited:

Twilord

Smash Ace
Even basing character speculation off sales numbers alone (which 9/10 will lead to terrible conclusions) there's still a handful of 100+ million selling franchises that could be added.
Not saying it should be added. Hell even when I thought the second Bandai Namco rep would be one of Bandai's V-Pets my money would have been on the other one.

I guess I do think they should probably have a Mametchi Mii Costume based on the combination of that and surprising historical significance.

It's just kinda gotten stuck in my head how many series in Smash Bros will probably never hit that count.

Technomage

Smash Champion
Possibly the worst possible addition to the game I could feasibly think of since the only people that would even remotely enjoy that would be people who read that factoid on a website somewhere and have zero interests in any other video games on the planet.
Hmmmm, I see; I guess that'd be best as a base game character.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Also the one "character" we saw from development footage went on to become Captain Falcon so we technically have some already.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Thanks, I hate it. Should've gone with the Tekken kanji instead of the most generic emblem you can give to a fighting game.
Tekken is Japanese for "iron fist"

If you still don't get why the Tekken emblem is what it is, I don't know what to say.

Also, saying that a fist is generic, but just writing out the kanji for the series' name isn't the same level of genericness as what Street Fighter or Final Fantasy got.

Perkilator

Smash Legend

If you still don't get why the Tekken emblem is what it is, I don't know what to say.

Also, saying that a fist is generic, but just writing out the kanji for the series' name isn't the same level of genericness as what Street Fighter or Final Fantasy got.
At least with the kanji (which is part of the logo for every Tekken game ever, mind), it's something you can associate with Tekken if you're familiar enough with it. The kanji meaning "iron fist" isn't a good enough justification for slapping Kazuya's right fist as a logo and calling it a day (at least to me).

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Said kanji is always in the games' logos.
I love how you cut out the rest of my statement when SF and FF got exactly that; their initials being taken from logos.

I'm not saying the kanji wouldn't be a neat emblem in Smash, just that saying that a fist is generic while the kanji isn't... well, that's just not true.

Last edited:

Twilord

Smash Ace
To be honest the Xenoblade symbol bugs me a bit. The cut-off Monado bothers me, it bugged me even when it was just Shulk.

The symbol for initiating combat when targeting an enemy would still have the Monado - but be a full version of it crossing against another sword; in effect creating an X.

Technomage

Smash Champion
To be honest the Xenoblade symbol bugs me a bit. The cut-off Monado bothers me, it bugged me even when it was just Shulk.

The symbol for initiating combat when targeting an enemy would still have the Monado - but be a full version of it crossing against another sword; in effect creating an X.
I haven't thought about that, but yeah, that does seem weird; also makes it look less refined.

Dan Quixote

Smash Lord
At least Tekken's emblem makes some modicum of sense.

Which is more than you can say about Mega Man's emblem if you aren't Japanese since Mega Man 11 is the only game in the series with a gear motif worldwide.
I'm okay with Mega Man's symbol for the same reason I'm okay with the Super Mario symbol being the Super Mushroom. It might not be pulled from a logo or anything but it's an item from the game that any Smash player will recognize as being THAT series. Which the Tekken and Arms fists don't really do since other games have fists.

Also now it doesn't make sense because we have major Xenoblade Chronicles 2 content, which uses a totally different sword. Unfortunately I have no idea what symbol could replace the cut-off Monado, though. There's really very little overlap between the two games in terms of common important icons. The X would be a bit basic but I guess it would allude to the entire Xeno series?

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I mean, Street Fighter is at least a stylized SF. It's not great, but a bit better than some. FF is pretty boring. Why not use something that's notable among the entire franchise? I get it's more FFVII, so even the Buster Sword would've worked. Or something iconic from that game.

But not every series' symbol is gonna be a winner.

Also, I didn't even know that about MegaMan. It does help that it screams "robot" to me, at least.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I'm okay with Mega Man's symbol for the same reason I'm okay with the Super Mario symbol being the Super Mushroom. It might not be pulled from a logo or anything but it's an item from the game that any Smash player will recognize as being THAT series.
There is no gear item tho...

Well, not until Mega Man 11 which didn't come out until after Mega Man's debut in Super Smash Bros.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Gotta go fast!

[Spirit event] "Run through the times! Sonic Series 30th Anniversary" will be held for 3 days from 6/25 (Fri.)! During the period, many Sonic series spirits will appear on the spirits board. If you win the battle, you will get more gold than usual. #Smash Bros SP

Last edited:

Twilord

Smash Ace
I'm okay with Mega Man's symbol for the same reason I'm okay with the Super Mario symbol being the Super Mushroom. It might not be pulled from a logo or anything but it's an item from the game that any Smash player will recognize as being THAT series. Which the Tekken and Arms fists don't really do since other games have fists.

Also now it doesn't make sense because we have major Xenoblade Chronicles 2 content, which uses a totally different sword. Unfortunately I have no idea what symbol could replace the cut-off Monado, though. There's really very little overlap between the two games in terms of common important icons. The X would be a bit basic but I guess it would allude to the entire Xeno series?
I have a design on my computer I did a while back. The left to right stroke of the X is a flipped version of Xenoblade X's X and the right to left stroke is based on Xenoblade 2's X.

There is one thing that could be used but there is a laundry list of reasons it would be a bad idea.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

It feels pretty patronizing to tell me what Tekken means as if I didn't know already. Any Tekken fan does.

And ****, maybe a kanji is generic as an emblem for Japanese audiences. But it certainly isn't for the rest of the world. For us it's not "oh boring they just wrote Tekken", it's "oh yeah it's the kanji that's on every Tekken logo".

Technomage

Smash Champion
Gotta go fast!

[Spirit event] "Run through the times! Sonic Series 30th Anniversary" will be held for 3 days from 6/25 (Fri.)! During the period, many Sonic series spirits will appear on the spirits board. If you win the battle, you will get more gold than usual. #Smash Bros SP
Could have used that opportunity to add more Sonic spirits.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Gotta go fast!

So? Does this indicate an deconfirmation for a Sonic character?

Perkilator

Smash Legend
I mean, Street Fighter is at least a stylized SF. It's not great, but a bit better than some. FF is pretty boring. Why not use something that's notable among the entire franchise?
At least the font used for the two F's uses the font from the Final Fantasy logo, which has the benefit of being easily recognizable throughout the franchise.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Street Fighter and Final Fantasy are real head-scratchers too because they have plenty of iconic elements that could have made for emblems. SF could have had a hadouken, or a silhouette of Ryu doing a Shoryuken. FF in particular really missed out on using, y'know, a freaking crystal.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
And ****, maybe a kanji is generic as an emblem for Japanese audiences. But it certainly isn't for the rest of the world. For us it's not "oh boring they just wrote Tekken", it's "oh yeah it's the kanji that's on every Tekken logo".
It would still be the equivalent of making Xenoblade's logo a "X" just because it's on every game's logo. It works, but it's not exactly original.

With that said, I did say the kanji as an emblem wouldn't be a bad thing either, it's just that it's weird to try to claim that literally using the logo is more creative than... a fist since both can be seen as a lazy option by people.

Especially since the design of said fist makes it clear that it's Kazuya's fist due to what said fist is wearing, so it's at least trying to be clearly Tekken without outright using the logo as if it was the only recognizable thing that franchise has.

Last edited:

Inferno7

Smash Journeyman
Street Fighter and Final Fantasy are real head-scratchers too because they have plenty of iconic elements that could have made for emblems. SF could have had a hadouken, or a silhouette of Ryu doing a Shoryuken. FF in particular really missed out on using, y'know, a freaking crystal.
I think they simply used ''FF'' in case they needed somebody from a different game
Didn't happen at the end, though

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom