• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
I see her on the lower end of a lot of lists. Why is that?

Do you just not like Isabelle as a character? Do you not like her moveset? Do you not like the fact that she is a semi clone? What's the reason?
Most of what I'd have to say has already been said, but I'd also like to point out how boring as sin her reveal was, hands down the worst in Smash history. You know it's a Smash reveal like five seconds in but it just drags on, like just get it over with already. I don't particularly dislike her as a character either, but I also don't get how she became an overnight sensation, her being in Smash with such a lazy moveset just feels like corporate shilling, Villager was enough.

It’s sad to see so much Joker hate. Persona has become one of my favorite game series ever and I thought it was awesome he made it into Smash.
I've never played Persona so I can't say anything about Joker as a character, but his moveset is incredibly boring and he's kinda just there.

Inferno7

Smash Journeyman
Not entirely. The birds could still use items and stuff with the cartoony "unexplained close range telekinesis". You could probably give the main bird a slingshot as a melee weapon or something. I'd have to look more into it to see what else though.

Well I can't read the article because it requires a subscription, but from what I've heard the management brand was heavily bungled by Rovio. Like, they took all of the games people knew the series for off of the market because they wanted their series's identity to be based off the fads they were chasing.

It's certainly not doing very hot right now, but that's also not a requirement for inclusion, even for 3rd party characters.
that's exactly why I wouldn't like it, like I said; wackiness for the sake of wackiness isn't good
it would look like a badly done Brawl mod, and if they aren't gonna do the IP justice I'd rather not see it at all, none of the birds should be able to use TK. Slingshot could work but aside from that? Not much really, I'd rather see another third party that has much more to work with or at least stuff that makes them interesting/fun. From what I've seen such a moveset looks bland/uninteresting and not fun to use, no offense.

Yeah it's certainly not a rule or anything, but it shows that people have lost interest in the brand and there's no reason to add them other than just because. Given that it's not profitable like Minecraft, I don't see why they should choose it over other IPs with far more legacy. The only reason to include them at this point would be Fan requests but rn it ain't so big compared to someone like Banjo, for instance. It also doesn't help that Angry Birds' biggest strength is popularity, given that it's actually a quite average game all things considered.

Last edited:

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
True, though a friend of mine did state that the last part was only said for FP1, not FP2.
I'm going to assume that Fighter Pass 2 follows the same rules as Fighter Pass 1 and if Jin was going to be playable, he would probably have been in the same trailer as his dad. Oh well, at least we got Kazuya with his devil gene.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
The only thing I could suggest is if they borrow heavily from the first three Tekken games but Jin has some moves that Jun uses. Besides, echo fighters can't be part of the Fighters Pass because they're not advertised in what's included with these challenger packs.
That doesn't really matter much. One of the packs had two "unique" fighters and that wasn't advertised either. As long as the pack doesn't have less content than what was advertised it's fair game.

toonito

Smash Ace
late pass but here's my newcomer tier list

S: :ultkazuya: :ult_terry::ultken::ulthero: (i know shocker lol)
A: :ultsephiroth::ultpyra::ultmythra::ultsimon::ultrichter::ultjoker::ultincineroar:
B: :ultridley::ultdarksamus::ultbyleth::ultchrom:
C: :ultinkling:
D: :ultdaisy::ultkrool::ultsteve::ultminmin:ultbanjokazooie::ultisabelle:
F: :ultpiranha:

as for fighting game characters (or fighties since that term has grown on me unironically) gimme more lol

Chun-Li, Nightmare, Sol Badguy, Fulgore, and Nakoruru alongside Ryu/Ken, Terry, and Kazuya for me would be a good mix of fighting characters in Smash and amounts to 9 out of 80+ characters which is awesome. If we can have 8 FE, 9 Mario characters, and 10 Pokemon lemme have my characters too.

Over 100! Characters I'd like to see in Smash (couldn't stop at 100 lol)

82. Crash Bandicoot
83. Doom Slayer
84. Dante
85. Toad
86. Waluigi
87. Impa
88. Chun-Li
89. Jill Valentine or Leon Kennedy
90. Phoenix Wright
91. Arle Nadja
92. Tails
93. Bandana Waddle Dee
94. Paper Mario
95. Monster Hunter
96. Lara Croft
97. Raichu
98. Ryu Hayabusa
99. Bomberman
100. Bill Rizer
101. Kerrigan
102. Sol Badguy
103. Zero
104. Vivi
105. Axel Stone
106. Parappa the Rapper
107. Professor Layton
108. Ahri

Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Current Ultimate New character vibes: One more left Edition.

I'm still waiting for the last reveal before I buy the 2nd pass, so some characters I've only fought against.

:ultridley:: My 2nd most used character. Pretty fun and simple to get the hang of.
:ultkazuya:: Further proof Fighting Game characters are some of the best additions. While not my main Jin, I'm safe in saying this is the character I'm most interested in playing. Tekken is what got me into games at all.
:ult_terry:: Favorite of the DLC so far. Cool.
:ultdarksamus:: I like her more than Regular Samus. Cool.
:ultsimon::ultrichter:: Badass Additions.
:ultken:: Not Akuma, but still the best Echo.
:ultincineroar:: He's not King, but a fun enough grappler.
:ultbanjokazooie::ultinkling::ulthero3:: They're alright to use.
:ultminmin: Fun to fight against as Mega Man, probably hell for anyone else. At least in my experience.
:ultpyra::ultmythra:: Either a really fun fight, or a total pain. No in between.
:ultdaisy:: Cooler than Peach.
:ultsephiroth:: Neat character but really irritating to fight against. Like I thought he'd be.
:ultchrom:: Happy Opossum Opossum got his G.O.A.T.
:ultkrool:: Fun to use, Annoying to fight against.
:ultpiranha:: Weirdly fun.
:ultjoker:: He's there.
:ultsteve::ultbyleth::ultisabelle:: Sleepware characters.

So yeah, most characters are really neat this time around. Hope the last one isn't sleepware to me.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
that's exactly why I wouldn't like it, like I said; wackiness for the sake of wackiness isn't good
it would look like a badly done Brawl mod, and if they aren't gonna do the IP justice I'd rather not see it at all, none of the birds should be able to use TK. Slingshot could work but aside from that? Not much really, I'd rather see another third party that has much more to work with or at least stuff that makes them interesting/fun. From what I've seen such a moveset looks bland/uninteresting and not fun to use, no offense.
I don't agree that it would be wackiness for the sake of wackiness though, especially since it's a common thing with character designs like that. In fact, it actually is a thing in Angry Birds: Star Wars, as any uses of weapons use this implied hands technique in their animations. I think there's an Angry Birds RPG with this technique as well.

I also don't personally feel like there is any sort of cap on how "wacky" a character can be so long as they follow their own internal logic. For example, Steve and Mr. Game & Watch's limited animation just reads to me as "this is how these characters move", with the exception of Steves wakeup roll since the weird levitation doesn't really follow any established logic. I think they should have had him throw an Ender Pearl instead.

As for an interesting moveset, I believe it could be done (I may take a crack at it since I've got it on the brain now), but it's definitely not a character with an immediately citeable mechanic to play with, much like with most of the NES era characters like Duck Hunt and even some new ones like Shovel Knight.

UltimateCyborgOverlord

Smash Champion
All this Angry Birds talk and I honestly gotta say.... I never played the games, but I was dragged to the movie and honestly... I forgot most of it, but I do remember the part where they were drinking pee... so that's one thing I know about the Angry Birds: They accidentally drank pee.

Peripuff

Smash Journeyman
82. Tails [Sonic the Hedgehog]
83. 2B (or 9S) [NieR: Automata]
84. Ring Fit Adventurer [Ring Fit Adventure]
85. Ahri [League of Legends]
86. Master Chief [Halo]
87. Octoling [Splatoon]
88. Chun-Li [Street Fighter]
89. Akira Howard [Astral Chain]
90. Ophilia (or Tressa or Primrose) [Octopath Traveler]
91. Bandana Dee [Kirby]
92. Monster Hunter [Monster Hunter]
93. Arle (or Amitie or Ringo) [Puyo Puyo]
94. Chosen Undead [Dark Souls]
95. Sora [Kingdom Hearts]
96. BotW Zelda [The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild]
97. Leon Kennedy [Resident Evil]
98. Yuri Lowell [Tales of Vesperia]
99. Crash [Crash]
100. Nahobino [Shin Megami Tensei V]

If we got to 100 (in this game somehow) I imagine the roster looking something like this

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend
All this Angry Birds talk and I honestly gotta say.... I never played the games, but I was dragged to the movie and honestly... I forgot most of it, but I do remember the part where they were drinking pee... so that's one thing I know about the Angry Birds: They accidentally drank pee.
Sadly, what children's cartoon movie or show hasn't done this joke yet?

I'm just impressed that some cartoons haven't done worse than what I've had once.

Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
To save us from ranking hell...

I like Isabelle a lot. I think she's super fun and has a fun trapper playstyle.

I see her on the lower end of a lot of lists. Why is that?

Do you just not like Isabelle as a character? Do you not like her moveset? Do you not like the fact that she is a semi clone? What's the reason?
Bit of both. Trapping characters are fine. But since she's similar enough to Villager, I can't say I like either of them personally.

I do like Pac-Man and I consider him a trap style character too with the Hydrant.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
So I'm seeing one thing repeatedly and I'm frankly confused by it.

I keep seeing people say Kazuya is lame because "he's another fighting game character. Not another fighting game character."

But like... counting Kazuya, we only have five.

Ryu
Ken
Terry
Min Min
Kazuya

Like... what are people complaining about. That's five characters out of 80+.

What is even happening?
People are stupid. 5 characters, all of them are vastly different, except for the Echo, who is still far and away better than the rest of the echo/semi-clones.

Meanwhile, we have more than 20 of platformers and RPG characters each. And I say this as someone who likes quite a lot of platformers and would be a-okay with more being in. Genre shouldn't be a problem.

Just say you're scared of a QCF and call it a day.

Technomage

Smash Champion
People are stupid. 5 characters, all of them are vastly different, except for the Echo, who is still far and away better than the rest of the echo/semi-clones.

Meanwhile, we have more than 20 of platformers and RPG characters each. And I say this as someone who likes quite a lot of platformers and would be a-okay with more being in. Genre shouldn't be a problem.
Yeah, 5 Mr. Kickyfoots isn't that much.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Yeeeeeah this kind of goes without saying, but the movie is not at all a good representative of the games. From what I've seen it's only a slight step up from the "X game is in real life now and also the government is trying to destroy game characters because reasons" plot since it's at least loosely derived from the original game's plot, but the execution sucks.

It's kind of sad that video game movies being a terrible adaptation is a given. Even the Sonic movie has this issue...Let's hope the Super Mario movie's plot isn't Mario and Luigi following Peach after she falls down an extradimensional pipe that leads to the real world and they have to team up with Will Ferrell or something to save her from the clutches of the U.S. government because reasons and then the bad guy turns into something that resembles Bowser at the end.

EDIT: Actually I just remembered it's an Illumination film so there's at least no risk of that...Though Illumination Studios + the man that hates story in Super Mario games is not a combination that gives me much confidence. lol

Speaking of, I don't understand why they went with this:

When there was already an established symbol for ARMS.
IIRC that was also a logo the game used. I do like the ARMS League's logo better though.

Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Aaaanyways, what do you think Kazuya's alts might be? I made a thread about it (https://smashboards.com/threads/alternate-colors.513929/), but the ideas I listed were:
  1. Gi (default)
  2. Jin Kazama (black/orange gi)
  3. Heihachi (grey/red gi)
  4. Tekken 1 Devil Kazuya (purple/white gi)
  5. G Corp Suit (default)
  6. Tekken 2 Kazuya (purple suit)
  7. TTT2 Kazuya (white suit)
  8. Demitri (blue suit)
In Tekken 7, he has two official colorswaps for his suit and gi. The Dark Red Gi, which was first in Tekken 5 Dark Resurrection. and a purple version of the Tekken 7 suit, which was a reference to Tekken 2 Kaz, I'm pretty sure.

I'm betting that'll cover some of those alts. I can see him having a white suit, like you mentioned, since it was also in Tekken 6's intro I think.

The only thing I could suggest is if they borrow heavily from the first three Tekken games but Jin has some moves that Jun uses. Besides, echo fighters can't be part of the Fighters Pass because they're not advertised in what's included with these challenger packs.
Most likely, Obviously Ryu and Ken have their differences more than most, but Jin and Kaz might be a bit too different. Though he's still probably a color swap reference.

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master
Actually on the topic of Comeback mechanics, there is one I have

What category does Cloud's Limit fall under? Unlike other Comeback mechanics which require you to get hit in some way, you can actually get Limit from hitting the Opponent, or charging the Limit, so you could actually use it as a Snowball mechanic if you wanted to

And Devil Kazuya has more evidence in favor of it being a visual flair, since the first thing we see in actual gameplay is Kazuya transform in and out of Kazuya, and that seemed like a taunt

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
What category does Cloud's Limit fall under? Unlike other Comeback mechanics which require you to get hit in some way, you can actually get Limit from hitting the Opponent, or charging the Limit, so you could actually use it as a Snowball mechanic if you wanted to
It's not a comeback mechanic if you can build it up in ways other than taking damage.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Yeah, Tekken's Emblem for Smash is quite lame. To be honest, even if it's a very minor detail, I've just realized most of emblems for series in Smash are kinda bland or boring.

I’ve honestly got no clue whats going on with Kazuya. His trailer implies a comeback mechanic, a separate transformation mechanic, and massive Combos. How these all intersect and work together is going to be very, very interesting.

Kazuyas Presentation is quickly becoming the one I anticipate the most.
I'm pretty sure the only gimmick Kaz has is Rage and well, the whole limb system, so I assume A will be punchs and B, kicks, or the other way around.

His Devil Mode seems to be only for Smash attacks or when he double jumps. Notice that in the trailer everytime he transforms, it's because he's doing an attack, and once said attack ends finishes, he is human again.

Rage Mode, if it's like Tekken, will activate when he has low health. It makes him stronger and gives him a few moves, like that big chokeslam he does to Incineroar at the end of the trailer. Tekken Rage is, IIRC, the inspiration for Smash 4 Rage.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
It's not a comeback mechanic if you can build it up in ways other than taking damage.
That's not really true. Most comeback mechanics also build when hitting opponents as well, and some even have them build up over time. The only defining feature a comeback mechanic has to have is that it's built to cause...erm. Comebacks.

subterrestrial

Smash Ace
Rage Mode, if it's like Tekken, will activate when he has low health. It makes him stronger and gives him a few moves, like that big chokeslam he does to Incineroar at the end of the trailer. Tekken Rage is, IIRC, the inspiration for Smash 4 Rage.
I just hope that chokeslam move is a true grab

doesnt tekken rage go away once u spend it on a move ?

Twilord

Smash Ace
Is it weird to simultaneously think it would be a bad look for Bandai Namco to get a third rep as the last character, but also be kind of stuck on the idea Tamagotchi has sold 82 Million units as of 2017?

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I just hope that chokeslam move is a true grab

doesnt tekken rage go away once u spend it on a move ?
You mean as opposed to a hit grab? It seems to be a grab with higher priority than attacks (or at least one with armour) so I think you're safe as far as it being super useful.

I dunno but Kazuya's red aura goes away after the chokeslam so that does seem to support that idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom