• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
So, to answer the question on an ideal fighters pass: an ideal fighters pass should have a healthy variety of genres represented, it should have characters that appeal to all ages and not just young kids or boomers specifically. IMO, a pass that just consists if popular platformer mascots or bug picks in the Smash community would be boring as hell because there will be no surprise factor or wow factor or really anything because it'll just be predictible samey picks, and no matter how hype they can be, I'd get tired of it fast.
Wrong.
The ideal fighter's pass appeals to me, specifically me, and only me.

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
More seriously, while Kazuya does have the Devil Mode in Tekken it really doesn't change that much about his playstyle aside from giving him his head beam. Overall Heihachi would've probably played near identical to Kazuya minus the head beam.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
They are not really comparable
Mega Man and Ryu are some of the biggest gaming icons and there's no question to that, meanwhile Dante is unfortunately nowhere close. Same reason PAC-MAN got in.
Kazuya is way more combo heavy than Terry, bad comparison. One of his attacks is literally a 10 hit string. Dante would also have a demon transformation (DT) which would heavily overlap with Kazuya's, ''weak points'' lol.
Min Min and Byleth aren't in the same pass but ok.
Seph and Dante have way more in common than you think, big swords, coats, they're tall,, and have white hair as you said. If they gave Dante a shirtless alt he would look nearly the same as Seph too. Forgot to mention the fact but didn't Isaac fans stop talking about him once Cloud got announced? I don't see why the same wouldn't apply here.

Sure, Dante's moveset potential is insane, but in the end it would just make him harder to implement, not to mention it would be a balancing nightmare.

Thing is most of the stuff that would make Dante unique has already been taken by another character, and most of them are in FP2. He also has heavy competence with other Capcom reps which is a fact we shouldn't ignore. As I said earlier, even if I want him in doesn't mean I can't see why he isn't as likely as I'd want him to be. I really don't get why you felt the need to make such a huge post just to prove I'm wrong.
What do you mean by that at the end of your message? My post wasn't about proving you're wrong, like I had something against you. I saw your post, I didn't agree with most of your points for different reasons and decided to reply, like I could have replied to anyone else's post.
And I don't know why the post being longer or shorter matters. The thing is, when someone express their opinion, others can also give their 2 cents about said opinion. And it's okay. We don't have to agree, but if I answered you it was because I genuinely felt like some of your points were not that strong, and I was in the mood to write a post. That was it.

About Dante: I mean, I also think he's not gonna make it, but not because he looks similar to Sephiroth or because he would be another combo heavy character after Kazuya, but mostly because I think he would have been already revealed by now if he was in the pass.

Also, he has strong competition within Capcom, yes, but that applies the other way around as well. Monster Hunter, a RE character (assuming the Spirit event the series got isn't enough to discard RE) or Phoenix Wright aren't in a very different spot from him. And the likes of Amaterasu, Morrigan or Strider are, unfortunately, in an even worse position.

Last edited:

Brother AJ

Smash Lord
NNID
Brother_AJ
So just want to ask everyone. Final prediction on the final character and why?

It's hard to predict who it is at this point but curious to hear your reason for it as well as to hopefully spark some more debate and speculation from this.
My Outlook on Speculation:

It's really hard for me to say for sure right now, but I'm going to go ahead and claim we're most likely going to end strongly for the very last character.

What qualifies as a "strong" ending is of course subjective, but I think it will come from a series that at least has a decent number of sales.

The main reason I'm thinking this is because I've seen/heard it pointed out that Bayonetta really wasn't the true ending given they pretty much immediately started working on Ultimate afterwards. Because of this, it's difficult to say that Smash tends to end on a low note. People also tend to point towards the base roster of Smash 4 and Ultimate as well as FP1 to support this "low note" claim, but again, that still wasn't the end.

I'll see some even bring up that Melee and Brawl ended on low notes, but I really feel that situation was different as neither broadcasted the full roster to us before the games released to the vast majority of people nor was Smash quite the global phenomenon it is now. By the time Wolf was posted on the DOJO, Brawl was already available in Japan and NA. If you really want to count Wolf though, I'll give him to you, but that's hardly ample precedent.

My Predictions:

Given the content of the DLC so far, I think it's pretty safe to make at least two assumptions:

1. The last character will come from a company already involved in Smash.

2. The character will be from a company that is not already represented within FP2.

Right now, I'm thinking a Sega (Sonic character, Arle, Demi-Fiend) or Capcom rep (RE character, Dante, Phoenix Wright) have a really good shot.

This isn't to say that it's impossible for us to get someone that doesn't meet said criteria, just that it's unlikely. At the end of the day, I'm simply trying to convey that I think the last character will be significant.

Last edited:

RouffWestie

Smash Lord
Those in the Social Thread should know what I'm talking about, but earlier today we were dissecting a Youtube video that I linked to the thread. It was awful and poorly researched with blatant info (so I don't want to subject you guys to that vid), but at the end he said that this would be an ideal fighters pass.
View attachment 320114
Is this an ideal pass to you guys? The social thread straight up said no, but I want to know what you guys think.
For me, it's close to the FP1 we ended up getting, maybe slightly better. None of them are my dream picks, they're just more solid choices imo. But compared to our current FP2, I'm not sure if I'd buy either; I'm probably just picking up individual FP2 fighters that are really calling out to me, and I might have done the same after seeing how everyone in that hypothetical played. All of my realistic desired newcomers somehow made it in early, so I'm just along for the ride at this point. Every character that's left on my MW list is either too obscure, not possible, redundant picks for series that already got some fair love, someone Sakurai would never agree to include, or just would have been a alternate costume if Smash handled them better.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Pass 1 has 3 repped genres: JRPG, Platformer, and Fighting
So far, Pass 2 also has 3 repped genres: Fighting, Sandbox, and JRPG. If CP11 brings in a new genre, that’d be cool indeed.
I mean, if you're dividing it by genre, it's only fair to mention that Fighter Pass 1 did also have four genres represented: JRPG, Platformer, Fighting, and Strategy/Tactics.

Lumping Byleth with Joker and Hero as just a JRPG kinda misses the biggest aspect of Fire Emblem's gameplay, which is a strategy game first and foremost.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
I mean, if you're dividing it by genre, it's only fair to mention that Fighter Pass 1 did also have four genres represented: JRPG, Platformer, Fighting, and Strategy/Tactics.

Lumping Byleth with Joker and Hero as just a JRPG kinda misses the biggest aspect of Fire Emblem's gameplay, which is a strategy game first and foremost.
And if we seperate FP2, then we have a 3D Arena Fightet Sandbox, Turn Based RPG, Action RPG, and 3D fighter.

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend
And if we seperate FP2, then we have a 3D Arena Fightet Sandbox, Turn Based RPG, Action RPG, and... whatever genre of fighting game Tekken is.
Tekken would just be 3D Fighter, right? Since you can move up and down to dodge attacks compared to Street Fighter and Fatal Fury where up and down are jumping and ducking respectively.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Heihachi actually has a ton of differences outside the shared signature moves of the Mishima style karate but I'd struggle to translate the fine differences between pokes, highs, mids, lows, effective counter-hits, staggers, strings, hit-confirms, and whatever else in a way Smash could effectively showcase besides "these moves look and feel different." He also has a bunch of unique moves but it'd be hard to list them all as well.

so I'll just say Heihachi's different moves are more suited to putting pressure on the opponent whereas Kazuya is more focused on punishing the opponent for their mistakes.

Personality wise, while they're both assholes, Heihachi is much more willing to straight up shoot you with a gun in the back.
1624243650088.png

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
If Kazuya's gonna have Pics of the Day, then I hope one of them involves him getting shot upward by the Hocotate bomb flying upward, as a reference to this funny ending:

This was his level 3 Super in Playstation All-Stars and I stand by the fact that it was one of the most well done in the game. Every character had their own specific "pose" to being strapped to the rocket. Nathan Drake hanging from his feet, Raiden being chained to it like he was during in interrogation in MGS2, it was just full of easter eggs.

Ivander

Smash Legend
Ok, I waan't quite sure because I know when I say 3D most people think of arena fighter.
I'm aware but I'm just thinking that with Tekken and Soulcalibur, you are still moving up, down and all-around in a 3D area. Not to the extent of an Arena Fighter like ARMs or other ones like the JUMP Stars games where you are practically able to move fast all around the map and whatnot, but you are still able to move all around compared to Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat, etc.

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
This was his level 3 Super in Playstation All-Stars and I stand by the fact that it was one of the most well done in the game. Every character had their own specific "pose" to being strapped to the rocket. Nathan Drake hanging from his feet, Raiden being chained to it like he was during in interrogation in MGS2, it was just full of easter eggs.
Why does Sackboy look so happy here?

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Heihachi actually has a ton of differences outside the shared signature moves of the Mishima style karate but I'd struggle to translate the fine differences between pokes, highs, mids, lows, effective counter-hits, staggers, strings, hit-confirms, and whatever else in a way Smash could effectively showcase besides "these moves look and feel different." He also has a bunch of unique moves but it'd be hard to list them all as well.

so I'll just say Heihachi's different moves are more suited to putting pressure on the opponent whereas Kazuya is more focused on punishing the opponent for their mistakes.

Personality wise, while they're both assholes, Heihachi is much more willing to straight up shoot you with a gun in the back.
View attachment 320124
To be completely fair, Tekken 7 changed his personality to ensure he's more sympathetic as a villain. Hell, I'd say he's actually the main character of T7 personally.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Those in the Social Thread should know what I'm talking about, but earlier today we were dissecting a Youtube video that I linked to the thread. It was awful and poorly researched with blatant info (so I don't want to subject you guys to that vid), but at the end he said that this would be an ideal fighters pass.
View attachment 320114
Is this an ideal pass to you guys? The social thread straight up said no, but I want to know what you guys think.
The thing is like...individually, I would love most of these characters. Crash and Waluigi are some of my most wanteds, Master Chief is one of the biggest gaming icons not yet in, and Eggman is a fun villain. I couldn't possibly care less about Shantae so she's a dud but eh. If this was a third pass, I'd be super pleased.

But, that's likely not what the creator was going for, likely opting for this to be a replacement instead. And that I can't get behind at all. Because at the end of the day, I really do enjoy almost all of the DLC characters. And if I even had the power to replace any, literally all I'd do is swap Byleth out for Edelgard...and that's coming from someone who really enjoyed Byleth, it's just that Edelgard is my third favorite Fire Emblem character lmao.

But no, my "ideal" wouldn't be that particular set of five anyway. But as a hypothetical third pass, my ideal five would be a more varied mix. Let's say, something like Crash finishing off Pass 2 and the five in Pass 3 being Waluigi, Lara Croft, Phoenix Wright, Kazuma Kiryu, and Henry Fleming.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Why does Sackboy look so happy here?
He's kinda like Kirby in that he's pretty much always vibin'.

Also he'd probably find getting shot into space via rocket to be super fun and exciting.

I'm not sure if Sackboy CAN change his facial expressions.
There's actually a dedicated emote feature in Little Big Planet. Sackboy is just a happy boi.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
View attachment 320114
...eh. There are two characters I kinda want a little (Waluigi and Eggman), two I'm neutral on, and one I don't have any interest in at all. It's also kinda samey - 5 characters who are big in the speculation scene, three characters from platformers (plus Waluigi). I've given thought to a "better" pass, and this isn't it.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
This was his level 3 Super in Playstation All-Stars and I stand by the fact that it was one of the most well done in the game.
My personal favorite is Big Daddy's. The somber music, the threatening lights accompanied by the droning sound he makes...It really sells the fact that something's about to go down.

Shadowvegeta

Smash Cadet
View attachment 320114
I wouldn't mind them, maybe swap Waluigi. I've just had this thought that if Waluigi ends up playable, there will be a flood of people wanting the other assist trophy's playable as well defeating the purpose of assist trophy's all together.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
PSASBR did a really good job with the cinematic supers. Toro had an Akuma refernce outta nowhere, Parappa's was a really cool love letter to his series, Spikes was cool, and of course there Heihachi's which is filled with easter eggs.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Does everyone speak in their native tongue in the Tekken series?

I had originally dismissed the idea of us getting the third character that won't be dubbed, but now that I think about it it's probably a guarantee...
Yeah everyone speaks their relevant language.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
To be completely fair, Tekken 7 changed his personality to ensure he's more sympathetic as a villain. Hell, I'd say he's actually the main character of T7 personally.
Well, more sympathetic isn't saying much considering he's reiterated on throwing child Kazuya off a cliff and then right after blasting an orbital laser obliterating the G-Corporation sky-scraper situated in the middle of a city to attempt to take out both Akuma and Kazuya at the same time.

I'd say he's an underdog compared to Kazuya and his devil powers and the player is kinda rooting on him to win cuz we're, y'know, playing as him during the story, but it's difficult to call any of Heihachi's actions during the entire events of Tekken 7 or Tekken as a franchise... "sympathetic." He's still the power-hungry old man we've known since the series start IMO. At best, we know he used to love his wife before she tried to kill him and turn into the devil

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Not for me personally, no. But it's definitely a selection of crowd pleasers.

Alright, how would people feel about this potential pass?

Scorpion/Sub-Zero
Sarah Kerrigan
Gengar
Akira Howard
Lu Bu
Indifferent but accepting of MK and Kerrigan.
Indifferent to Gengar.
Annoyed stHoward.
Legit pissed if Lu Bu got in before Hayabusa.

Last edited:

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
View attachment 320114
This would be a great pass for me. Crash and Chief are some of my most wanted, Eggman is an essential villain to have and would be funny, Waluigi would please a lot of people, and Shantae would be a good indie rep with some cool moveset potential.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom