• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
So I saw some talk about how the Heihachi Mii Costume to Kazuya situation could parallel with the Sans costume and, potentially, Frisk.

I think this theory also fits the following:
The Vault Boy outfit and a Bethesda character (Candidates imo include a Fallout protagonist, Doomguy, and Dovahkiin)
The Altair and Rabbids outfits and an Ubisoft character (Candidates imo include Rayman, Ezio, and Prince of Persia)
This parallel could work with spirits too
The RE Spirits and a Capcom character (Candidates imo include Phoenix, Dante, and a RE protagonist)
Anyone else?

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
On the other hand, I feel like "we wouldn't have X if Y never existed" isn't a strong point in Rayman's favor at all, considering we've gotten several Ys before their respective Xs.

Dragon Quest codified the JRPG genre, but we still got Cloud before Hero. Pac-Man gave rise to video games having actual marketable characters instead of generic cars and ships, but we got three other third party characters before getting to him. Persona wouldn't exist without Shin Megami Tensei laying a lot of the groundwork, and yet Joker is here while SMT is totally absent.

Yeah, Rayman put Ubisoft on the map, but in today's context I really don't think that matters, like it didn't with the above.
Especially considering that the Rayman series itself is an outright flop in Japan while Assassin's Creed is not.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
So I saw some talk about how the Heihachi Mii Costume to Kazuya situation could parallel with the Sans costume and, potentially, Frisk.

The Vault Boy outfit and a Bethesda character (Candidates imo include a Fallout protagonist, Doomguy, and Dovahkiin)
The Altair and Rabbids outfits and an Ubisoft character (Candidates imo include Rayman, Ezio, and Prince of Persia)
The RE Spirits and a Capcom character (Candidates imo include Phoenix, Dante, and a RE protagonist)
Anyone else?
Firebrand for GnG, not the Capcom rep we need, but the one we deserve

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
IDK man, it would definitely be cool, but i don't see two edgy characters being added in a row. But who knows?
I'm not sure if we're using different versions of "edgy" (when I think "edgy", I think of characters like Reaper from Overwatch, or the version of the Prince from Prince of Persia: Warrior Within), but Dante's pretty much a human Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle depending on the game. He can get serious, but he's also a character who does stuff like this:

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

Anyone else?
River City Spirits and either Sol or Ragna as playable

and if you want to count first party content, the Squid Sisters Miis and a new Splatoon character (Octolings or Off The Hook)

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
River City Spirits and either Sol or Ragna as playable

and if you want to count first party content, the Squid Sisters Miis and a new Splatoon character (Octolings or Off The Hook)
You do be right about River City
Tho idk if we'd actually get two fighting game characters back to back

Unless we get the Double Dragon dudes..?

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Inazuma Eleven. The really funny part would be when twitter realises that it's also a jrpg.
It's an RPG?

I knew it was a game series but thats...not the genre I was expecting.

Our all-knowing lord and saviour.
I love how all of them are mad at him.

Firebrand for GnG, not the Capcom rep we need, but the one we deserve
Call it a Demon's Quest character and add in his Ultimate Marvel Vs. Capcom 3 theme and I am so game.

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master
I'm not sure if we're using different versions of "edgy" (when I think "edgy", I think of characters like Reaper from Overwatch, or the version of the Prince from Prince of Persia: Warrior Within), but Dante's pretty much a human Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle depending on the game.
The only edgy Dante is Donte.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Frisk or Papyrus. Admittedly, most of my points are circumstantial, but they're still something.
  • Undertale is a big deal.
  • With the context of the Heihachi Mii costume not deconfirming Kazuya, we now know the Sans costume is no issue (and there's a nonzero chance it was deliberately released early to mess with people--seems in-character for Sakurai and Toby Fox).
  • Ignore this point if my speculation on the timing is wrong, but Toby Fox's meeting with Sakurai may have been at the exact right time to discuss an Undertale fighter being added.
  • Negotiating with a single rights-holder would be simpler and quicker than a whole company--maybe this expedience is why FP2 has six fighters instead of five? Maybe Frisk/Papyrus (or any other potential fighters who come from small indie teams) was added as a bonus late in planning due to the speed and ease of adding them?
  • More Undertale content, which is conspicuously missing currently (specifically an Undertale Spirit Board event).
  • Regarding Frisk and Papyrus specifically: the former is the player character and the latter is a fan-favorite and effectively the co-mascot alongside Sans. Both have some neat potential for fighters (Frisk with their equipped "weapons" and ACTs and Papyrus with his bone magic that could be interpreted creatively).
I kinda do feel it could be Frisk. Undertale is something worth keeping an eye on and seems like something that could be done.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
IDK man, it would definitely be cool, but i don't see two edgy characters being added in a row. But who knows?
Dante isn't edgy at all. Using a sword or having white hair doesn't mean the character is edgy.

I mean I guess DMC2 and to an extent DMC1 Dante were kinda edgy, but these versions are not the popular depictions of the character.

When people think of Dante, his DMC3/4/5 are the first versions to come to mind, which would be 100% what Sakurai would represent in Smash if he added Dante.

Goombaic

Smash Ace
I hope the MK ninjas are brought in as Mii costumes in Kazuya's presentation.

Ever since the Bomberman costume came with several palettes, I got hopeful for another costume in the same vein as that. Besides, we're not getting any Mortal Kombat character anytime soon, so I'll take what I can get.

Then...why not have all that in the base game in the first place?
Because the newer games are fans of the older games.

cothero

Smash Lord

WahHahaha

Smash Ace
I hope the MK ninjas are brought in as Mii costumes in Kazuya's presentation.

Ever since the Bomberman costume came with several palettes, I got hopeful for another costume in the same vein as that. Besides, we're not getting any Mortal Kombat character anytime soon, so I'll take what I can get.

Because the newer games are fans of the older games.

I think if they added a Mortal Kombat costume it would just be for Scorpion and it would say "scorpion" in the crossover to avoid censorship problems.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
7NATOR's "second chance theory" stays strong.

Following that logic, which other characters we could expect as FP11 having been already represented in the game in some kind of form?
He did mention in his columns he wanted an ARMS, XC2 and (during Smash 4) Tekken rep, we got all three this pass

he did NOT mention Steve or Sephiroth but they were rumored for a while until they finally happened (plus for the latter, the lack of content FFVII had at launch)

so I think the last is someone Sakurai hasn’t alluded to yet but makes sense in context

and I’m telling y’all Splatoon 2 getting a rep makes PERFECT sense, especially with the lack of 2/Octo Expansion content in base, and OE being revealed at the same time as Ultimate (before it got that subtitle)

oh and also I guess a non-Lloyd Tales rep, assuming the Lloyd costume doesn’t return this wave. Yuri Lowell is after all the most popular protag to the point he’s banned from popularity polls

Last edited:

Ornl

Smash Ace
So just want to ask everyone. Final prediction on the final character and why?

It's hard to predict who it is at this point but curious to hear your reason for it as well as to hopefully spark some more debate and speculation from this.
I can't predict, just support ^^
Space Invaders

Finisher

Alpha and Omega – Space Invaders could represent an ultimate conclusion. It is the first video game to use an original creative universe which features monsters, instead of being a simulation of something that exists, and was the ultimate game when Nintendo decided to go into the video game busines.*
Iconic – As a pixelated graphic, SI can represent all the video game on its own. It is used a lot for represent video games in general in many publications and websites. I think it would participate a lot in the pride of the Smash "museum".
Soothing – I think SI has some legitimacy that would be able to help to appease some of the fan's frustration and that it would partially be welcomed as a last newcomer.

Unexpected
Rules breaker – It would be a 2th Square Enix rep within one FP.
Old and without new Hits – SI may seem like a bad marketting choice because the series may seem forgotten. However, Squenix continues to let Taito make the most of their series, and Nintendo and Taito could could collaborate more about the games for the next console and with the music band Zuntata. In addition, there is little interest and opportunity for Space Invaders to participate in other important crossovers with the competing companies. SI would therefore become strongly linked to the Smash Bros. series and Nintendo in the future.
Animated sprite – Partly because of the SI's appearance, it is conventionally chosed that the alien would be ideal as an Assist Trophee. But animating the alien might be the subject of special interest as a new challenge for Sakurai and its development team. If that turned out to be impossible, then the team could instead create a compelling 3D interpretation. Either way, creating Space Invaders could be fulfilling instead of limiting the alien to imitating Sheriff.

Diversity
Physical – SI has similar properties to Piranha Plant rarely seen in DLC (generic enemy, non-human, toon, genreless).
Genre – It would stand out as a 3rd-party rep not representing the platform games, the fighting games or the JRPGs.
Gameplay – It would bring something new by having an evolving speed, flood abilities to harass or a 3 bodies hit box.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Time to go all in on "New Company Theory ™"

Ubisoft: Rayman, Ezio (Assassin's Creed)
Tecmo Koei: Ryu Hayabusa (Ninja Gaiden)
Nihon Falcom: Adol Christin (Ys)
Activision: Crash Bandicoot

Bethesda would have fit here before the Microsoft acquisition (RIP), so honorable mentions to Doom Slayer (Doom) and Dovahkiin (Skyrim).
They could still possibly fit the theory since negotiations for the fighter would have been finalized before they were bought...

Who am I missing?

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047

Bethesda would have fit here before the Microsoft acquisition (RIP), so honorable mentions to Doom Slayer (Doom) and Dovahkiin (Skyrim).
They could still possibly fit the theory since negotiations for the fighter would have been finalized before they were bought...

Who am I missing?
Arc System Works? I assume by new company, you mean one that doesn't have a playable character in Smash, rather than one that isn't involved in Smash at all.

Sol Badguy from Guilty Gear, Ragna the Bloodedge from BlazBlue, or Billy or Jimmy (I think they'd be alts like Olimar and Alph) from Double Dragon (or Kunio-Kun from River City Ransom, depending on how you feel about post-launch spirit events) could work.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

Who am I missing?
Arc System Works: Sol Badguy, Ragna the Bloodedge
Electronic Arts: Sim (The Sims), Apex Legends character (doubtful given when Apex came out)
Riot: League of Legends champion, Valorant (not as likely). Tencent also owns Riot and they localized the Switch for China AND are developing Pokémon Unite so
Spike Chunsoft: Danganronpa character
Marvelous: uhhhhhhh only not-Mii/Spirit peeps I can think of are from Senran Kagura and I don’t think CERO will be too happy about that

tbh tho I still don’t think the last character will be a new company at this rate

Last edited:

Geno Boost

Smash Master

Who am I missing?
Tencent
EA
Disney

Last edited:

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
oh and also I guess a non-Lloyd Tales rep, assuming the Lloyd costume doesn’t return this wave. Yuri Lowell is after all the most popular protag to the point he’s banned from popularity polls
Actually I think he was reinstated I think in 2020 and in the "The character you want to be cheered on by or be supported by (male)" he was in 2nd place beat by Mikleo in 1st with lloyd behind yuri in 3rd

and in the "The character you want to cheer on or support (male)" Yuri was in 3rd, again, beat by Mikleo in 1st with lloyd in 8th

Mikleo is a good boy tho, japan has some good tastes

Cyberfire

Smash Journeyman
7NATOR's "second chance theory" stays strong.

Following that logic, which other characters we could expect as FP11 having been already represented in the game in some kind of form?
I've not been active since the Direct so I don't know how many people noticed that Tekken fits with the theory, but yeah he's spoken about trying to put Heihachi in Smash before.

Ace C.R.O.S.S.

Smash Ace

It's hard to predict who it is at this point but curious to hear your reason for it as well as to hopefully spark some more debate and speculation from this.
Shantae.
I think her chances are too high right now considering:
  • She's a well requested character
  • Her potential moveset kinda fits the DLC factor that DLC characters have some special gimmick
  • Her games (and WayForward in general) have a a long way with Nintendo since her first game from the GBC
  • Nintendo has acknowledged her in many ways
  • WayForward is developing the Advance Wars Remake, so their connections are looking good right now
But then, again, i'm saying that her chances are higher, but the last character could be a Galar Pokemon or the 10th Fire Emblem character for all we know...

MarioRaccoon

Smash Ace
Its possible these new additions are taking into account some early impressions of Ultimate base game content:

• Lack of a Xenoblade 2 and ARMS playable character.
  • The same FF content as Smash 4
  • Only 1 Namco-Bandai rep when they are developing the game. In addition, N-B content mainly represents their 80’s arcade era.

The only exception is Steve that we knew Nintendo has negotiated him before, so things were easier (and it wouldn’t bee too strange to thought that Steve was considered for FP1 but decided for Banjo instead and save Steve for a “bonus” or something later).

Last edited:

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)

Who am I missing?
Disney: Sora (technically speaking)

Inferno7

Smash Journeyman
Interesting. Why do you think a Sonic or a RE rep still could happen? Why the second chance theory could fit into those two franchises?
These two kinda are a gut feeling for me but I'll explain a bit
Resident Evil is the biggest Capcom franchise not in the game yet (akin to Tekken and Namco), and negotations could've taken place as seen with the spirit event which many use as a deconfirmation. Thing is it may not actually be a 100% deconfirmation because as we saw with Tekken, precedents and fanrules can be broken. Would definitely be a Sakurai thing to do.

A 2nd Sonic rep has been one of the most popular requests over the years to the point there has been at least one in every fanmade Smash game/mod, and Sega has perfect attendance since Brawl, given how many other franchises got a rep before Sonic did (and two of them were in base game), it's possible they planned a character but didn't have enough time to add another. Although, this entirely relies on the possibility that another Sonic rep was planned to be added if at all, but it's certainly a glaring omission all things considered.
From what we've seen in this pass there are many things to take into account:
-Every single character has broken a precedent or fanrule, being unpredictable or slept on so far
-All the 3rd parties come from bigger franchises than those in FP1 (bar maybe DQ, but FF is certainly bigger)
-The picks from FP2 have been doing a great job at filling those "gaps" from base game, with many of the characters being scrapped or planned ideas that come from there
-Pretty much all the companies already have characters in base game or FP1, so they'll most likely play it safe till the end

Last edited:

The Rhythm Theif

Smash Ace
An Apartment With Stolen Forgery Art In Paris
Switch FC
SW-2028-5151-9144
I'm not sure if we're using different versions of "edgy" (when I think "edgy", I think of characters like Reaper from Overwatch, or the version of the Prince from Prince of Persia: Warrior Within), but Dante's pretty much a human Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle depending on the game. He can get serious, but he's also a character who does stuff like this:

Ah yes. Very funny scene.

For real though, it's a really sad scene, terrible voice acting or not.

MaplePie

Smash Cadet

Porky Minch. The mother series being absent on the switch and Porky still missing a spirit despite many chances to do so. Also, absence of Giygas and Pig King Statue which can be used for his spirit board.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
I agree, but those are probably the worst examples for Miis disconfirming characters when they all have other more prominent reasons. Heihachi’s VA, Springman’s AT, and Rex being too hot for the Switch to handle :4pacman: .

Honestly the SMT V protagonist is probably not happening if we believe Sakurai has figures for every character already, unless he somehow got a custom one from Atlas close to a year before the game actually launched. I think they’d be much better than Corrin or Byleth though
Nah, Sakurai doesn’t have figures for every character, he was just saying he’ll use them for reference if they exist. There’s a lot of characters with no merch (excluding Amiibos) like :ultminmin :ultchrom::ultdarksamus::ultkrool::ultridley:

As someone who wants Dante badly in this game, he's not happening, period. If he was, it's most likely he would've been our E3 reveal, last fighter is gonna be a Sonic or RE rep going by the second chance theory which has been proven correct time and time again.
Dante would get a bigger reaction from Smash fans. But Tekken is objectively a bigger series than Devil May Cry; so if Dante was in, that could be why Kazuya was at E3 & Dante wasn’t.

Who am I missing?
Is there an actual theory regarding this or just hopes? I’m sort of doubting a new company at this point with the exceptions of Ubisoft & Bethesda since they have content in Smash already.

D

Deleted member

Nah, Sakurai doesn’t have figures for every character, he was just saying he’ll use them for reference if they exist. There’s a lot of characters with no merch (excluding Amiibos) like :ultminmin :ultchrom::ultdarksamus::ultkrool::ultridley:

Dante would get a bigger reaction from Smash fans. But Tekken is objectively a bigger series than Devil May Cry; so if Dante was in, that could be why Kazuya was at E3 & Dante wasn’t.

Is there an actual theory regarding this or just hopes? I’m sort of doubting a new company at this point with the exceptions of Ubisoft & Bethesda since they have content in Smash already.
My b, I misworded it. Meant to say the last two DLC fighters not every character.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280

Who am I missing?
Toby Fox. That's a cool company.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion

Anyone else?
Maybe Eggman, because Sonic had two costume with Joker, but Sonic might still have more content.

Who am I missing?
Level 5 with Yokai Watch or Professor Layton.

SharkLord

Smash Hero

Who am I missing?
We should probably add Estelle and Rean to the Falcom list. Trails has arguably become bigger than Ys now, getting more attention from Falcom and the fandom alike. Adol has seniority and legacy, but he's certainly not the only option from his company.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
We should probably add Estelle and Rean to the Falcom list. Trails has arguably become bigger than Ys now, getting more attention from Falcom and the fandom alike. Adol has seniority and legacy, but he's certainly not the only option from his company.
Likewise we should add Overwatch to Activision (Blizzard)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom