• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

GreninjaMarth

Smash Rookie
I've been "feeling this" for 3 years after Bayonetta got added.

It hasn't exactly amounted to much...
well…

yeah.

but it might

I think seeing Ryu & Kazuya in the same game is what also got me thinking

But, uh, I’ll keep my expectations in check

GreninjaMarth

Smash Rookie
Platformers: Sonic, Mega Man, Simon,
Banjo & Kazooie
RPG’s: Cloud, Joker, Hero
Fighting: Ryu, Terry, Kazuya
Action: Snake, Bayonetta … ???

We need another action game character up in this joint.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I don't really think Nintendo cares about "A majority" or "A minority", they probably look at us as one big glob.
They're clearly not trying to make every single character appeal to everyone. If they did we would've gotten one of the other Mishimas today, or maybe not even an FG character at all because of people who complain about inputs.

Staarih

Smash Master
I may have overestimated the Development speed of both CP10 and CP11. Not only did we not get CP11, but Kazuya is coming like 2 weeks after his Reveal, which is something
We only know the presentation is on June 28th, Kazuya's actual release may be later. Though probably not much later if that's the case, so I guess it's a moot point anyway haha.

Last edited:

Staarih

Smash Master
he’s 100% getting shadowdropped right after
Pyra/Mythra could have started a new trend as such, but before them, I think it was Terry who was released right after, while the release of the rest in between had a while to wait after the presentation. I could see the actual release slip into July.

Shroob

Sup?
They're clearly not trying to make every single character appeal to everyone. If they did we would've gotten one of the other Mishimas today, or maybe not even an FG character at all because of people who complain about inputs.
Riiiiight?

You're basically saying what I'm saying. Nintendo sees us as one amorphous, shapeless blob. They don't really care about a majority or a minority, they just put characters in, mainly to rope in people into Smash who otherwise wouldn't be as the main reason, and for fan excitement secondarily. Like, outside of Banjo, would you say that any of the non-1st party DLC characters felt like characters we discussed a ton? We talked a ton about ARMs, Rex+Pyra, even 3 Houses to an extent, but Joker? Terry? Sephiroth? Ste---Okay, not Steve.

There really is no "Well, the majority got theirs, give some to the minority!" I don't think Nintendo really sees a majority or a minority.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
There really is no "Well, the majority got theirs, give some to the minority!" I don't think Nintendo really sees a majority or a minority.
Then why have Steve be one of the earliest characters in the pass, followed by less popular characters than him? The goal with having five non-Steves in the pass is to cater to smaller audiences who aren't into Minecraft. Like, for example, Brawl speculation veterans.

GreninjaMarth

Smash Rookie
I wouldn't classify Metal Gear games as action unless you're talking about Revengeance.
I know Metal Gear is more stealth orientated & Bayonetta is a hack n’ slash, but “action” seems like the best way to classify it overall. Like how there are different kinds of RPG’s and such.

I suppose it’s a bit senseless to try and classify everything into a genre anyways, since a lot of the franchises in smash have either completely switched in genre or combined and borrowed numerous elements from different genres.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Wouldn't a few lines of code in the fighter just prevent the AT from popping up in spirit battles as well?
You see, they spent too much on big reveals, they don't have the budget for extra coding, so we can't get AT promotions.

****posting aside, quick question, Tekken refers to the King of Iron Fist Tournament or whatever it's called, right? Kazuya won this and a bunch of other tournaments in universe, right?

Wouldn't that make him... A champion?

Shroob

Sup?
Pyra/Mythra could have started a new trend as such, but before them, I think it was Terry who was released right after, while the release of the rest in between had a while to wait after the presentation. I could see the actual release slip into July.
Eh, the thing about Pythra, and to a lesser extent Sephiroth, was that they were announced ahead of time in an actual Direct/TGA, while every other character was in a Sakurai presents, with basically no forewarning other than a Tweet that said "Tune in on X day!" It feels like characters who are announced ahead of time come out the same day. Like, iirc, Banjo and Hero did the exact same day, as did Joker.

Then why have Steve be one of the earliest characters in the pass, followed by less popular characters than him? The goal with having five non-Steves in the pass is to cater to smaller audiences who aren't into Minecraft. Like, for example, Brawl speculation veterans.
I mean, the question could be asked why didn't they announce Steve first? Why start the pass with Min Min? Steve would have easily gotten FP2 to outsell FP1 the literal first day, and wash away a lot of the "Fire Emblem bad!" sentiment. Instead, we got back to back 1st party series, 1 from Fire Emblem, which makes the community sharpen their pitchforks at the mere mention of, and the other from ARMs, which, well, it's ARMs.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
You see, they spent too much on big reveals, they don't have the budget for extra coding, so we can't get AT promotions.
Oh god I'm going to be made fun of for months for committing the hate crime for thinking a first party that didn't debut on the Switch and isn't Ayumi could get in, aren't I?

osby

Smash Obsessed
"Smaller than Minecraft" doesn't mean something is small by itself, given how huge that game is.

Oh god I'm going to be made fun of for months for committing the hate crime for thinking a first party that didn't debut on the Switch and isn't Ayumi could get in, aren't I?
No, so you can stop playing the victim.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I'm pretty sure Nintendo chooses most of these characters with the goal of benefitting their own properties or their relationships with other companies and said companies' franchises.

Obviously they add characters like Byleth, Min Min, and Pyra in hopes that people will not only purchase the games that they starred in, but also purchase games from that franchise going forward. As for third-parties, if any of these franchises weren't already on their consoles, I'm sure Nintendo would love to see them eventually. The only exceptions are Banjo, who was a unexpected kind gesture on Nintendo's behalf, and Terry, who I'm still convinced got in because he was a character Sakurai wanted and Nintendo agreed to it.

7NATOR

Smash Master

****posting aside, quick question, Tekken refers to the King of Iron Fist Tournament or whatever it's called, right? Kazuya won this and a bunch of other tournaments in universe, right?

Wouldn't that make him... A champion?
Yes

He won Tekken 1 and Tekken 7

I think Gwen was being sarcastic when saying this. In any case, I'd honestly just not worry about being made fun of on here and just do your speculation. If your word is truth, it will show with the reveal of CP11. Plus I wouldn't say people making fun of people thinking of non Switch/Ayumi characters, alot just don't personally feel they be in

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Trust us, we hear you loud and clear.

The problem is ya just get soo dang combative over your stance when we just wanna chill and grill, fren.
It's just hard to not be combative when people think what you want absolutely can't happen, and what you're less interested in is way, way more likely.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Was he the X Zone artist or something?
Yep. Worked on the official artwork for every 'X' game (Namco x Capcom, Project X Zone 1+2, etc.)

Namco X Nintendo RPG? I'm game. Considering they had Fire Emblem and Xenoblade characters in Project X Zone, that would be awesome! (Heck, I imagined a possible third game with Kirby and a few of the SNES Pilotwings flight instructors as guest stars.)
Personally, I see series like F.E. and Xenoblade returning, with series like Kid Icarus, Wars, F-Zero, Another Code, Hotel Dusk, Disaster, The Last Story, Pandora's Tower, Captain Rainbow, and the like being added to the mix.

dezeray112

Smash Hero
Honestly I kinda liked the trailer. Even though I've never played it, I knew it was Tekken as soon as I realized Ganondorf was being carried by a buff shirtless dude, because who hasn't seen the clip of Heihachi being thrown off a cliff?
I straight away knew that the reveal was based on Tekken based upon the scene which Kazuya and Heihachi threw each other down the volcano from past Tekken games and I recognised the background music theme played which I believe is Kazuya's theme from Tekken 2.

7NATOR

Smash Master
So after Today I think I created a New theory, It's called Iconic theory

So if you compare Fighter Pass 1 and Fighter Pass 2, you'll realize that the 3rd party characters are more Iconic in FP2 than in FP1

Steve is More Iconic than Banjo, Kazuya is more Iconic than Terry, and Sephiroth is more Iconic than Hero. Hero might be more Iconic in Japan perhaps, but Sephiroth is still very Iconic there and he's more Iconic globally

With this in mind, there are some Potential questions and Answers I might have

Why a FP2 was created?

Smash is a Popular game, but it's not immune from the Diminishing sales that plague all games. Having characters like Steve, Sephiroth, and Kazuya helps offset this phenomenon as best as they can, because overall they are more likely to have more appeal than the characters in FP1

Why were they not just added in FP1?

Besides the Above, there are potential other factors

Steve and Most likely Kazuya were definitely because of Implementation issues. In comparison, Banjo and Terry seem to be much more simple in comparison to these 2

Sephiroth is Odd in that he's probably was easier to Implement than Hero, with perhaps the harder part figuring out how to balance his Range. The thing is though is that Dragon Quest was relevant during FP1 in the Same vain Final Fantasy was relevant in FP2, with Dragon Quest 11 and Final Fantasy 7 Remake Respectfully

We see that Square in particular probably likes to have their franchises content in Smash revealed around a time their franchise is very Relevant if possible. Had FF7 Remake been relevant around FP1 and Dragon Quest 11 around FP2, I Imagine the order would have switched. though if this happened, then Iconic theory would have a hole in the theory

EDIT: Also unlike the Comparison between Banjo and Steve, and Terry and Kazuya, who all come from New franchises, Sephiroth already came from a franchise represented, unlike Dragon Quest

Why the focus on 3rd party specifically

1st parties and 3rd parties are chosen Differentially

What could this mean for the future

If we use this theory, if we get a 3rd party character, it's gonna be one that's more Iconic than Joker, whether that mean more Iconic in the Genre he is in, or a Sega character that is more Iconic than Joker from Persona 5

However this theory is just for fun, I'm not sure if it should be taken seriously. I will say that it is factual that the 3rd party characters in FP2 have bigger Global appeal than the ones in FP1, but I don't think it automatically points to specific characters, and it's very possible this pattern is broken with CP11

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
A character that I, nor anyone else, knows absolutely nothing about aside from their appearance? No thanks.

I don't understand requesting a character you haven't played yet. They could be a Jar Jar Binks for all we know.
Considering they're a megaten protagonist, it's relatively safe to assume that their disposition falls more in line with planks of wood.

Last edited:

TindalosKeeper

Smash Apprentice
He was the dude that joined the chain and tagged Harada and Sakurai with an Infinity War meme, wasn’t he? The chain was started by ForSmash accounts, some other users joined in. Harada flat-out @ a few of the ForSmash accounts…

It seems you don’t really know all about it, either, if you even really care…although I suppose that’s obvious now since that’s all you had to say to my reply ._.
Wrong, it was another guy unrelated to the ForSmash accounts... They all started fine until someone else in the chain tagged the wrong ones and everything went to **** after.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Wrong, it was another guy unrelated to the ForSmash accounts... They all started fine until someone else in the chain tagged the wrong ones and everything went to **** after.
Ah, alright then, my mistake. Tbh I didn’t really remember the exact person, I just knew he wasn’t a ForSmash account.

Sorry if I’ve mistaken your intentions; you just seemed sarcastic and sorta antagonistic earlier, and I was confused by your last reply since it was mainly ForSmash accounts Harada tagged aside from whoever that Alberto dude is…

ZelDan

Smash Master
It's just hard to not be combative when people think what you want absolutely can't happen, and what you're less interested in is way, way more likely.
Being combative isn't going to get people to want to listen to you, or get them on your side/care about your side. If someone says something you disagree with, then, you know, just say why you disagree and be chill about it. People will take better to "I think x is a thing because y" than "OMG WHY AREN'T YOU GUYS LISTENING TO ME!?"

I kinda skimmed the conversation going on and all and didn't entirely absorb everything so I don't know how combative you were, but just saying that yeah, you shouldn't want to be combative. Not a good look.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Bro have you seen the amount of people here pushing their never ever most wanteds? Don't exactly see them fighting tooth and nail to defend their characters' honor.

Last edited:

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
Still find it wild how we got a Tekken character after Heihachi's mii costume dropped last year. You just know Sakurai did it on purpose to throw us off the scent since everyone and their mother was predicting Bamco when FP2 was announced. I'm hyped about Kazuya, that makes two characters from my top 5 most wants in Smash (Minecraft and Tekken).

Looking on the footage again, Kazuya has moves that put opponents in the stun state and also the crumple state, he even can trip opponents. If EWGF is as busted in Smash as it is in Tekken then this character will be a BEAST to fight. Like, imagine fighting someone like Joker who ftilts you and you KBD then EWGF the **** out of them.

This is gonna be Smash in two weeks :bowsette:

Shroob

Sup?
Still find it wild how we got a Tekken character after Heihachi's mii costume dropped last year. You just know Sakurai did it on purpose to throw us off the scent since everyone and their mother was predicting Bamco when FP2 was announced. I'm hyped about Kazuya, that makes two characters from my top 5 most wants in Smash (Minecraft and Tekken).

Looking on the footage again, Kazuya has moves that put opponents in the stun state and also the crumple state, he even can trip opponents. If EWGF is as busted in Smash as it is in Tekken then this character will be a BEAST to fight. Like, imagine fighting someone like Joker who ftilts you and you KBD then EWGF the **** out of them.

This is gonna be Smash in two weeks :bowsette:
It's been a year since Min Min.

It's been a year since Min Min.

God, 2020, am I right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom