• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
copying this from the Lloyd thread but

aight I'll admit Lloyd is kill

but
Kazuya's inclusion gives me hope for a different Tales character because it shows even if a series got an earlier mii costume(Heihachi), a different character from that series can still be in

therefore, I'm jumping on the Yuri Lowell train

if capcom, konami, and sega can get 3 characters so can namco.

that being said, Kazuya is ****in dope AF, Tekken was my first fighting game so I'm glad to see a Tekken char make it in.
It is interesting to note that every major veteran 3rd Party company except Namco has exactly 3 characters.

volbound1700

Smash Master
The only think that makes me think we could get another fighter-pass is Komei-Tecmo and Ubisoft. Two big supporters of Nintendo with nothing in the DLC pass. Komei-Tecmo could easily though get some support with a first party LOZ rep from Hyrule Warriors.

However Rayman and Ryu Hayabusa both make sense for Smash and would be the star characters from each company. I know these companies are likely clamoring Nintendo to get them added. Surprised they were not in DLC pack to date. If Nintendo opens the door for another DLC, you would think these two companies would get their star IPs into the game. (Ubisoft may go with Assassin's Creed or Rabbids but Rayman seems like the most likely).

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
It is interesting to note that every major veteran 3rd Party company except Namco has exactly 3 characters.
Don't worry, Jin will ensure Namco has three

started out as a kazuya clone
they're hiding the rest of kazuya's alts
only heihachi has a stage cameo

Let me dream dammit

SKX31

Smash Master
We're back baybee. Some notes:

Kazuya was someone I did not expect in the slightest - not least due to the Heihachi Mii - but I definetely welcome his inclusion since he's another villain, he's a very non-shoto FGC character and because he brings a lot of interesting possibilities for his Pack.

Expanding on non-shoto a bit - he's not a shoto because he doesn't have the same kind of moveset as Ryu / Ken nor Terry. Kazuya doesn't play by the traditional fireball / anti-air etc. - Tekken is heavily centered around quick movements, punishing whiffs and extending advantage. While we'll have to see if Kazuya does as much damage as Terry Kazuya still has the potential to just carry people across the stage seemingly.

Sidenote: Quoting Emblem Lord in the competitive thread:

It seems like he has many moves that create ACTUAL stun states. If these led to kills then Kazuya might end up being the most threatening character on the ground.

I am also very interested in his Devil form. Probably another comeback mechanic, but it could be a win more mechanic such as Terry's GO!!. Oh, Kazuya also fulfills the "we need more villians" quota. He is....not a good person at all.
Air mobility is probably pure garbage, but his ground mobility might be off the scale thanks to the wavedash.

Yes, Wavedashing comes from the Tekken series btw. Imagine if he can crouch dash in the air?! O_o

I cannot wait for the 28th.
As for E3 overall, I'm gonna be a maverick and say Microsoft won with Nintendo close second. Nintendo would've won if they had slightly more to show and covered a bit more genres, but I feel that Microsoft had just a teeny bit more variety in their show and thus covered more bases than Nintendo did. Nintendo's presentation was overall rather solid, with some hiccups (some games were overly focused on like Just Dance 2022 - come on, we all know that's going to be a thing), but it's nice to see an AW collection, Metroid Dread and an update to BOTW2.

Not that "Winning E3" matters much if anything in the long run, but hey, I'll follow the rest of SGF, because that's where I feel some third parties (Riot, for instance) may prefer to unveil their games on Switch and other consoles and announce release dates.

As for CP11... it's a giant tossup and that's all I'm going to say for now. Could be a big character, but could also be a small-scale one.

Last edited:

volbound1700

Smash Master
Funny thing is out of the NEW Nintendo Titles that were showed off, the Mario Party game is the most likely to get the most sales.

Granted BOTW2 will get the most sales out of everything shown but it wasn't a NEW title for this E3.

Thermithral

Smash Journeyman
NNID
blahara
3DS FC
1375-7535-6452
Switch FC
6524 3241 3725
Ending on a Nintendo character would be a high note for me. Not disappointed by this new person, have no idea who he is though. Will be content with pretty much any character, unless it is something extremely specific. Like if we actually get a Warcraft rep, and it is freaking Sylvanas.

Crossing fingers for someone from Kid Icarus.

D

Deleted member

I love this kind of character reveal that’s simultaneously extremely surprising yet blatantly obvious in hindsight. Like we’ve known about Tekken being considered before, but Sakurai couldn’t figure out how to implement the limb system. But at the same time we did get Heihachi’s Mii costume with Min Min so Tekken kind of dropped off everyone’s radar.

volbound1700

Smash Master
Hopefully it'll only be a "low note" in a "come on, you follow Steve and Sephiroth with THIS?" sense and not a Corrin 3.0 sense.
Good news is that two of the major Corrin 3.0s have already been added (Byleth and Mytha/Pyra) so we shouldn't have any more FE/Xenoblade stuff in this DLC run.

Ending on a Nintendo character would be a high note for me. Not disappointed by this new person, have no idea who he is though. Will be content with pretty much any character, unless it is something extremely specific. Like if we actually get a Warcraft rep, and it is freaking Sylvanas.

Crossing fingers for someone from Kid Icarus.
Warcraft would be one of those off-the-wall picks that makes sense. Heck, Warcraft is extremely popular in China and USA so you would probably win over, easily, two of the biggest markets in the globe. I don't see it happening though.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Good news is that two of the major Corrin 3.0s have already been added (Byleth and Mytha/Pyra) so we shouldn't have any more FE/Xenoblade stuff in this DLC run.
Byleth was Corrin 2.0 and swordfighter=/=Corrin.

Lyncario

Smash Ace
Reposting my bingo? Reposting my bingo.
Nintendo E3 bingo.png

I got no bingos, though I still got very cool stuff. Unsurprisingly, there was nothing from the bottom row, but I kinda expected it to go that way anyway.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
The only thing that “end on a low note” is actually based on is that characters that were recent at the time of inclusion.....haven’t been revealed for Smash before their game released. That’s why Byleth and Corrin were last, not because Sakurai thought to himself “oh its the last one, gotta pick a sentient cotton swab for a fighter now or else I break my personal philosophy.”

Well, of course for Corrin it was that Sakurai was specifically looking for a recent character, while no such confirmation exists for Byleth (although the Three Houses release date dictates that he had to be at the tail-end off the pass anyway so it’s again not based on “oh lard these people aint gonna like this one better put it last”)

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
So regarding the pass currently. Everyone remember Fix/Second Chance Theory? Kazuya seems to fit the bill.

Min Min = ARMS content
Steve = 5 years of negiogations and rumored for Base game
Sephiroth = Cloud only returning under condition of Sephiroth being added
Pyra & Mythra = Xenoblade 2 content

Now we have Kazuya since Sakurai considered Heihachi for Sm4sh.

So worth keeping some characters in mind who were considered in the past or from the same franchise.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
So regarding the pass currently. Everyone remember Fix/Second Chance Theory? Kazuya seems to fit the bill.

Min Min = ARMS content

So worth keeping some characters in mind who were considered in the past or from the same franchise.
Although Sephiroth's isn't confirmed and it's just a fan theory that people are taking as fact.

volbound1700

Smash Master

Min Min = ARMS content

This is being discussed in the Rayman thread as that is about the only thing going for him right now. He was, supposedly, considered for Smash 4.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
As far as I know he has a pretty decent hate base* so probably not.

*This could be outdated or something.
Yeah Tingle's hatedom isn't as strong as it was in the 2000s. I think they could easily release the Tingle games in America without that much whining now.

So, looking at Kazuya's trailer some more, I almost wonder if he's going to control somewhat like Min Min, but with punches and kicks. It would bump his moveset up to around 22 moves instead of the usual 16 if I'm counting both correctly. Also, 3 or 4 of the moves shown in the trailer look like they are tied to grab, so he might not be quite as complicated as he seems.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
This is being discussed in the Rayman thread as that is about the only thing going for him right now. He was, supposedly, considered for Smash 4.
There's also Ayumi and Mach Rider who were considered in Melee.

Maybe a Rhythm Heaven rep as considered in Sm4sh?

PacificFun

Smash Ace
We're back baybee. Some notes:

Kazuya was someone I did not expect in the slightest - not least due to the Heihachi Mii - but I definetely welcome his inclusion since he's another villain, he's a very non-shoto FGC character and because he brings a lot of interesting possibilities for his Pack.

Expanding on non-shoto a bit - he's not a shoto because he doesn't have the same kind of moveset as Ryu / Ken nor Terry. Kazuya doesn't play by the traditional fireball / anti-air etc. - Tekken is heavily centered around quick movements, punishing whiffs and extending advantage. While we'll have to see if Kazuya does as much damage as Terry Kazuya still has the potential to just carry people.

Sidenote: Quoting Emblem Lord in the competitive thread:

As for E3 overall, I'm gonna be a maverick and say Microsoft won with Nintendo close second. Nintendo would've won if they had slightly more to show and covered a bit more genres, but I feel that Microsoft had just a teeny bit more variety in their show and thus covered more bases than Nintendo did. Nintendo's presentation was overall rather solid, with some hiccups (some games were overly focused on like Just Dance 2022 - come on, we all know that's going to be a thing), but it's nice to see an AW collection, Metroid Dread and an update to BOTW2.

Not that "Winning E3" matters much if anything in the long run, but hey, I'll follow the rest of SGF, because that's where I feel some third parties (Riot, for instance) may prefer to unveil their games on Switch and other consoles and announce release dates.

As for CP11... it's a giant tossup and that's all I'm going to say for now. Could be a big character, but could also be a small-scale one.
Take our Metroid Dread and I don't think peeps would be too happy.
Why is everyone complaining about this E3? It was almost a 10/10 in my book.
It was like a 6.9/10 for me (for an E3 presentation). The reveals were all pretty small titles outside of Metroid, Nintendo EPD8, EPD9, Hal Laboratory and MonolifthSoft were all missing, and nothing really felt E3 worthy in here.

As a regular direct, this is like a 8/10.

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend
Funny thing is out of the NEW Nintendo Titles that were showed off, the Mario Party game is the most likely to get the most sales.
Because fans will be like, "Buy this game like your future depends on it! Give them the message that this is the Mario Party gameplay we want!"

That said, really curious on how well Advance Wars will do and what fans will do to spread awareness of it around.

volbound1700

Smash Master
Yeah Tingle's hatedom isn't as strong as it was in the 2000s. I think they could easily release the Tingle games in America without that much whining now.
Tingle seems like a great possibility to end the FP. However, my understanding is that he isn't that popular anymore, even in Japan. I am not sure it is due to any factor or than the fact that he just hasn't been in any major Zelda titles recently.

Because fans will be like, "Buy this game like your future depends on it! Give them the message that this is the Mario Party gameplay we want!"
Actually it is kind of like Mario Kart, it appeals to a very large demo graph and to casual gamers. The same people who love Wii Sports for example are likely to play Mario Party. Mario Party is a family oriented game that anyone can pick up and play.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom