• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inferno7

Smash Journeyman
still waiting for the AT rule to be broken someday, hopefully by a worthy candidate
seriously, the Smash community has never realized that it's as easy as simply programming the game so an AT doesn't appear in the same match as a fighter
and iirc they have done that before with Alucard and the DDD background in Dream Land

AnEasterEgg

Smash Journeyman
still waiting for the AT rule to be broken someday, hopefully by a worthy candidate
seriously, the Smash community has never realized that it's as easy as simply programming the game so an AT doesn't appear in the same match as a fighter
and iirc they have done that before with Alucard and the DDD background in Dream Land
Honestly, it barely matters in my opinion. Assist trophies are only a thing in casual matches anyway, which are already total chaos. It can hardly make it that much more confusing and unbalanced than any fight with assist trophies already is.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Honestly, it barely matters in my opinion. Assist trophies are only a thing in casual matches anyway, which are already total chaos. It can hardly make it that much more confusing and unbalanced than any fight with assist trophies already is.
And it'd be mostly competitive players left this late anyway. Casuals have either already moved on or just buy whoever they recognize.

rychu_supadude

Smash Journeyman
"Fan rules" are just an easy way to describe "observations of patterns that have held true until now", and always have been. They absolutely have meaning so long as you're judging them for what they are, not what they aren't.

Only the most obsessed think that they're actually written down and can't change when they need to. An AT promotion has always been possible, but it's completely justifiable to think that the reasons it hasn't happened could continue to stay in place. That's all.

If I had to make any predictions at all, it would be for Waluigi to get the upgrade. Just my uneducated gut feeling.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I think the AT rule hasn't been broken yet because there's not much there that's catching Nintendo's eye. Every DLC first-party so far has represented a Switch game, so if that's what they're looking for, that eliminates a majority of our options right off the bat. Most of the third-party ATs are from franchises already on the roster, so that limits our options significantly. Unrepped franchises can't get an upgrade if there's no AT to upgrade.

TBH Spring Man is the only AT who I feel like ever had a decent chance. I never really got the feeling that they'd prioritize fan demand over relevancy.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
I do think that E3's only going to give us a single reveal

But honestly, even a single reveal at this point is going to be amazing.

GRANTED, the big monkey's paw of it being a single reveal, is that speculation is arguably going to be in its worst state, ever. Regardless if the E3 character is a "hype" reveal or not, if CP11 drops in September alongside the September Direct, the next 3~ months are just going to be "Smash ends on a low note." on repeat. For 3 months. And not a whole lot else.

Houndstooth

Smash Ace
I think the biggest one that irks me right now is the “I don’t think one company with get two spots on the pass,” but in the same breath call for Master Chief’s addition. Nothing against Master Chief. It’s just an example. I think it has to do more with the franchise the character is coming from, rather than who owns it. That’s just me though.
Yeah, I think these are two different groups of people. Mostly they just disagree with this one point. I'm not sure how you can want a double dip and be against it, honestly. That's just a terrible argument for that person.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I love this fanrule argument because once again something Sakurai outright believes and we know for a fact is a factor in his decisions is called a fanrule, first it was 'too big', now it's 'worldwide familiarity', something he's only gone back on by accident and after being convinced by playtesters for characters initially planned to be JP exclusive. Almost like it's a fanrule what does and doesn't count as a fanrule

PacificFun

Smash Ace
Same honestly. I wanted Strikers/Sports Daisy not "Peach Clone" Daisy.
I just wanted semi-clone Daisy tbh.
I think it's hands down the greatest trailer in Nintendo history. There are undoubtedly others that were more hype for specific people at specific moments in time, but EVERYONE IS HERE, man... The entire thing is perfectly choreographed down to the nearest frame. It's insane how much thought was put into getting every reveal in exactly the right order for the appropriate reactions. There's just no way you can ever top that!

...And now I'm crying again. It really does get me every time.
I feel like the Super Mario Odyssey teaser/E3 2017 trailer, BOTW Teaser/NSO presentation and a good chunk of the original Mario Kart 8 trailers were also amazing.

This trailer still gets me so pumped up to this very day: https://youtu.be/yfVTC2uTHYA

Last edited:

xenother

Smash Apprentice
I'm sorry, what? This is the first time I've seen this and you'd think this would be brought up a lot more considering how popular a request Dante became, only basegame rumours I saw for him was the one from the DMCV leaker
The actual quote:
"Dante is an interesting case because there was some confusion around whether he was only scrapped for the base game and if there was a chance for work to pick back up on him for DLC."

Shroob

Sup?
The actual quote:
"Dante is an interesting case because there was some confusion around whether he was only scrapped for the base game and if there was a chance for work to pick back up on him for DLC."

"Katalina was considered"
No she wasn't.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
The actual quote:

I don't see what that has to do with anything nor do I have a reason to believe the claims, especially as Dante only started being a popular request in 2018

Shroob

Sup?
I'm the biggest ****ing Granblue stan on this website, I've played the game for over 6 years now, and there's no chance in hell that Cygames would have chosen Katalina as their GBF rep, nor would they have been okay with it being Sakurai's choice.

Katalina would be like getting an Earthbound rep, except you chose Jeff, and Ness were never playable.

People love to point as the original Re:Link trailer of "Cygames is pushing Katalina!", no, they weren't. Re:Link HAD a confirmed main character.

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
The actual quote:

I think we can safely put this list in the trashcan since none of these ended up playable.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
The actual quote:

Ah yes, back in the good ol' days when the Geno Thread was the Newcomer Speculation Thread and this site was actually super active.

While I won't speak of Xenother's post, I will say this list intrigues me. I also thought it was just a good guess back then, but upon re-evaluation it has only gotten two things wrong:
  1. Min Min, nor nothing from ARMS is on the list.
  2. Rex is on the list, but we know that Rex was going to be playable, however it didn't work out. This is wrong by technicality but also right by technicality.

LAA9000

Smash Journeyman
Slippi.gg
JUST#956
3DS FC
0361-9069-2936
Switch FC
SW-5393-4946-0209
I heard from the E3 2021 thread that a semi-reputable leaker claims Challenger Pack 10 will disappoint many fans. Can anyone find the source of this?

Not that it really matters when that could be said of every DLC fighter thus far.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
I think fan rules are the chillest they’ve ever been. We’re all kind of dreaming about pie in the sky things like Master Chief of all things. To me, that proves that the biggest limitation is actually a “You must be this hype to ride” sign that ”the Smash community” (not a monolith but everyone, including me, has generalized it to mean different things to pretend to be smarter than it) has arbitrarily placed.

What remains of the term “fanrule” to me seems like a handful of valid complains about the distribution of perceived liklehood but otherwise a husk of its former self now used mostly to be a blanket term for “People have different opinions than me??” and “SmashBoards is making up a speculator and then getting mad at them” in the assumption that any attempt at speculation gets posted in hard cast-iron rules rather than a weird collection of hunches and perceived patterns.

I mean, people are saying “I don’t think we’ll get a second character from Square” rather than “We are never ever ever ever, getting Square characters” already says a lot about what it means to be a fanrule.

Shroob

Sup?
I heard from the E3 2021 thread that a semi-reputable leaker claims Challenger Pack 10 will disappoint many fans. Can anyone find the source of this?

Not that it really matters when that could be said of every DLC fighter thus far.
You mean Brush's reddit post?

Brush says they don't know who the hell CP10 is but "There'll always be people disappointed".

rychu_supadude

Smash Journeyman

Yeah, most "popular community picks" would be personally disappointing to me, so BRING IT ON

Last edited:

Dinoman96

Smash Master

Link to this?

LAA9000

Smash Journeyman
Slippi.gg
JUST#956
3DS FC
0361-9069-2936
Switch FC
SW-5393-4946-0209
Link to this?
The only "leak" I've seen so far is from someone who people claim is credible but nobody ever backs that statement up. And all they said was that the character is someone who will make a lot of people mad.

Which is, like... Yeah. Have you seen the Smash community?

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
So, who's the person said leak is from? Hard to say anything if a name's not given?

Brush flat out says they don't know who CP10 is and I've heard nothing else from anyone else.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
I mean it's kinda hard to really say anything about this considering how vague Hinata is about this individual.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
The fighter still hasn't been leaked eh? Hmmm...I wonder which kind of fighters are less likely to get leaked...

...obviously FP2 ones since we've had bad luck getting them leaked.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
I mean, unless there's receipts on "CP10 will disappoint people" then I see no reason to humor it. Especially since it's bound to do so anyway.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Reminder that no one leaked Sephiroth prior to his reveal. And even Steve only got leaked/teased at like, five minutes prior to his reveal.

Shroob

Sup?
The only thing I've found is just Brush saying:

Someone always will be disappointed tho

But that entire thread is full of people hounding him for info and his response is clearly "I don't know who it is".

I haven't seen any of the big name leakers saying to expect disappointment, and the way it's worded makes it sound like said leaker isn't a super trustworthy source.

Shroob

Sup?
Yeah, and that while Square’s other character was so often leaked it was barely a secret anymore. So we can’t really strike out companies.
That was on the dev team tbh. We knew a Square Enix character was coming, but we had no idea as to who. It was thanks to the devs leaving data on the game cart that we knew it'd be ErdrickHero. Yeah, a 2nd Square character did leak, but we didn't know who they were(Until the datamine).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom