• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
which directly deconfirms Rayman and indirectly kills off all of Ubisoft all together if true
Not that Rayman is happening, but just because some dude has some info from Ubisoft doesn’t mean he’s privy to ALL info from Ubisoft. Smash is likely kept under far tighter wraps than Brawlhalla.

Because if I remember correctly the source was more like “well I haven’t heard anything about Rayman in Smash so it must not be happening” which is like… a bit of a leap in logic lmao.

Last edited:

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
E3 is upon us, let us look back at some games that released during the month of June... like Ghosts n Goblins on the Famicom!

Having only played for about 2 levels before getting Game Over'd again and again, I know Ridley represents the main antagonist but who do the Mummy and King Dedede represent?

Last edited:

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
So we were talking about it it in discord earlier, but the TMNT info that Papagenos got seems to be real based on the Ubisoft presentation today, which directly deconfirms Rayman and indirectly kills off all of Ubisoft all together if true. My apologies if it's already been discussed. Info is at the very start.

Rest in peace Rayman, maybe next game. Shame this might be the silver bullet that puts him down.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
Not that Rayman is happening, but just because some dude has some info from Ubisoft doesn’t mean he’s privy to ALL info from Ubisoft. Smash is likely kept under far tighter wraps than Brawlhalla.

Because if I remember correctly the source was more like “well I haven’t heard anything about Rayman in Smash so it must not be happening” which is like… a bit of a leap in logic lmao.
Unless the source is somebody who would know. It's not like only 1 or 2 people at any particular company know who the character is. There's very likely a decent handful of people that know. People that would very likely know include: Directors, producers, legal teams, veteran/high ranking staff in parts of art/scenario creations. A collaboration in something like Smash is not some thing that can realistically be held by a super small group of people. There are a ton of people involved, what makes leaks hard is that the people that do know are not the common riff raff because the people that do know actually care about their jobs.

Ivander

Smash Legend
E3 is upon us, let us look back at some games that released during the month of June... like Ghosts n Goblins on the Famicom!

Having only played for about 2 levels before getting Game Over'd again and again, I know Ridley represents the main antagonist but who do the Mummy and King Dedede represent?
The Mummy I think is a regular Zombie. Ridley is Red Arremer and Dedede I think represents Astaroth.

Ivander

Smash Legend
Was there anyone who was really wanted from Ubisoft outside of Rayman?
I've seen requests for Ezio and the Prince of Persia. Ezio is understandable as I think Assassin's Creed 1 and 2 were popular in Japan. And interestingly enough, Altair got a Mii costume and Venice Rooftops was used in it's showing, but no sign of Ezio.

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
My lord that would be a fun pass. Would have loved to see Billy and Jimmy as well!
Eh...Billy and Jimmy are just a poor man's Kunio and Riki.

They should be Mii Brawlers that come out alongside the Kunio pack. With the Double Dragon theme, of course.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860

Ridley makes a surprisingly good stand-in for a Red Arremer.

Chaosmaster8753

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ChaoticZelos3578
3DS FC
2750-1187-7177
Even though Rex was considered at first for CP9, should the fact that all the 3rd party Mii Fighter costumes from Smash 4 ended up being resold again a big hint at how negotiating for them probably has more difficult hurdles than a character Nintendo either fully or somewhat owns?

MisterMike

Smash Champion
Welp, E3 season is here once again, and with it comes a new Nintendo Direct to reveal the next Smash DLC fighter. There are plenty of characters who we could be seeing get revealed on the 15th, and since I've yet to throw my predictions out there yet (I haven't been logging in to Smashboards much as of late), I figured there's no time like the present to do so, especially since the chance of a potential leak tends to increase relative to how close we are to said reveal. This post will be separated into several sections, each going over different topics of discussion and breaking down my reasonings for each. If you have any questions for me regarding my predictions, feel free to let me know. So, without further ado, here are my predictions for Fighter Pass 10.

Before I discuss any characters in particular, I'd like to go over where my head's at regarding speculation for FP10. As you probably guessed, my speculation has been centered around the timing of this next reveal, being during E3. Given it's status as the mecca of gaming news each year it's held, E3 has historically brought us some of the biggest, most exciting reveals for Smash games. From the Super Smash Bros. Brawl reveal to Mega Man, from Ridley to Banjo & Kazooie, E3 Smash reveals have typically been big deals that tend to cater to who the hardcore fans want, and I firmly believe that we'll be seeing history repeat itself.

Next, I'd like to touch on how many characters I think we'll be getting. Since I'm basing my speculation for FP10 around the E3 trends, you'd figure I'd be expecting more than one character to be revealed. Previous E3 reveals didn't only ever reveal one fighter, after all, and we've only got about 2-3 characters left before Ultimate's DLC is over and done with, so maybe they're just going to go whole hog and reveal everything that's left for Fighter Pass 2? As tempting as it is to believe that it would happen like that, I'm going to stick with only one character getting revealed. I don't believe they're in any rush to reveal everything all at once, since they've got half a year to finish these last few characters.

Lastly, I'd like to touch on the character's party status. Will FP10 be first party or third party? While there's no real way of knowing for sure, my gut says this character is most likely going to be third party. There really aren't many first party Nintendo characters who would be a big enough deal for E3, or at least not many who are still in contention and really, I think we've gotten quite enough first party characters as of late.
Now that I've laid out my general outlook for FP10, I think it's time to get a bit more specific regarding series and characters. While you may think it unusual for a character predictions list, I'd like to begin with the series and character who I feel will NOT be joining as FP10. A lot of this has less to do with the characters themselves being "wrong" or "unfit" for Smash (too sexy, too violent, etc.), and more to do with the circumstances they currently find themselves in.

- Part 1: Already Included Companies/Franchises -
I think it's safe to say that, with the exception of Nintendo for obvious reasons, there likely won't be any double-dipping with regards to companies for the Fighters Pass. As such, we can count out SquareEnix entirely, and since SNK realistically only has Terry in terms of notable characters we can scratch them off the list as well. While Microsoft should count as already represented since we have Steve in Vol. 2, I'll give them a pass since they technically don't own Steve directly, Mojang does. That said, I believe the chances of a Microsoft character are kind of low. With regards to specific franchises, it's pretty cut and dry on this front: No new ARMS fighter, no new Minecraft fighter, no new Final Fantasy fighter, and no new Xenoblade fighter.

- Part 2: Spirit Events -
Now I know that some of you may find it unfair that I'm making this call, but don't misunderstand me. I'm not saying that having Spirits in and of themselves disconfirms a character, that's already been well disproven at this point. Rather, I'm basing this off of the logic behind their inclusion: We all know that each fighter comes with several Spirits, right? Well, if they were planning to include Leon S. Kennedy from Resident Evil to Smash sometime down the line, why would they have had a Spirit Event for his franchise in the first place? I mean, wouldn't you rather wait until you release Leon to include those Spirits alongside him? As such, I'm firmly in the camp that any series that has gotten a post-launch Spirit Event is out of the running for DLC, period.

The notable franchises affected are as follows: Daemon X Machina, Pokemon, Resident Evil, Astral Chain, River City, Cuphead, Warframe, Ring Fit Adventure, Animal Crossing, the Mana series, Octopath Traveler, Paper Mario, The Legend of Zelda (specifically the Breath of the Wild games), Bravely Default, Ghosts N' Goblins, and Monster Hunter.

- Part 3: Mii Costumes -
Just like with Spirit Events, I think DLC Mii Costumes are a good indicator of which characters and series we likely won't be seeing as DLC at this juncture. The notable characters/characters/companies affected are as follows (the ones already affected by Part 2 are in bold): Rex, the Sonic series, Goemon, the Mega Man series, the Mega Man X series, Sans/Undertale, Assassin's Creed, Rabbids, the Mega Man Battle Network series, Cuphead, Heihachi, the Splatoon series, the Fallout Series, Gil, Bomberman, Travis Touchdown, Geno, the Monster Hunter franchise, and Arthur.

- Part 4: Pokemon and Fire Emblem -
Both of these franchises are ones that I feel relatively safe in saying we likely won't be getting another character from them. While they both have their own unique reason as to why that is (listed in the next paragraph), the one thing they both share is that we've already gotten new fighters from these franchises in Ultimate: Incineroar for Pokemon and Byleth for Fire Emblem. Neither franchise is particularly starving for a new fighter, so I see little reason for them to want to add another as DLC.

On the Fire Emblem side specifically, Byleth wasn't too long ago relatively speaking. I think it'd be very weird to get another Fire Emblem character at this point, especially since there's no new game to pull a fighter from. On the Pokemon side, while Gen VIII is still recent, it appears that The Pokemon Company has already shifted their focus away from the Galar games. There's also the Gen VIII Spirit Event they had a while ago, which says to me that there's no plans for a Galar Pokemon to join as DLC.

- Part 5: The Legend of Zelda -
I've seen a lot of buzz surrounding the idea that the Legend of Zelda series could potentially be getting a fighter as DLC. The reasons behind this buzz is rather straightforward: Zelda is having it's 35th anniversary, BotW2 is coming out in about 1-2 years time, and Sakurai/Nintendo loves to add in characters to help prevent the roster from being "outdated". All of these reasons ring very hollow for me for several reasons.
  • Firstly, anniversaries/new games do not a new fighter make.
  • Second, if their goal was to "futureproof" the roster, why would they go with the Zelda series? The most recent new character they could add at this point would be BotW!Zelda, and she's not particularly new herself, dating back to at least 2017.
  • Third, while the character selection process sometimes happens before a character's game is out, we've only had two characters, in the entirety of Smash history, debut in Smash before their own game, and only one of those fully counts. The likelihood of that happening again, especially as a DLC fighter who likely would've been chosen around E3 2019, is astronomically low.
  • Fourth, Breath of the Wild 2, and Zelda as a whole really, don't need help being advertised.
  • And fifth, I can't help but find a Zelda character as an E3 reveal to be very underwhelming, no matter who it is.
So now that I've gone over where my mind is at and who I think is off the table, the only question now is: Who do I actually think has a chance? Well, there are quite a few characters who I feel could be E3's big headliner. I'll start off with the one that I feel is the most likely:

- Crash Bandicoot -
This character, in my mind, is the most likely character to be shown at E3, and there are plenty of reasons one can give as to why that would be the case: It could be the strong sales, the renewed sense of relevancy, the need to have Mario, Sonic and Crash fighting each other like it's the late 90's, the alleged 5-year plan, something as farfetch'd as some potential hints, or even simply because I really, REALLY want him in the game. But none of these are the main reason as to why I believe he's so likely. Rather, the reason I think Crash is coming to Smash is... a feeling.

For whatever reason, I just have this gut feeling that Crash is the next DLC Fighter. He's the kind of character who just makes sense to be revealed at this time. He'd appeal to both hardcore Smash fans and casual gamers, to western fans as well as the eastern fans. Even if his getting in would be seen as too predictable, he'd still be a huge deal, and I could see plenty of people freaking out over him. Even if people didn't really care for him getting in they would still see him and go "Oh yeah, that makes sense.". He's unique, he's recognizable, he's got a lot of potential for a crazy moveset, he would be the perfect choice for an E3 reveal.

Next are some characters who I think could potentially happen:

- Ryu Hayabusa -
Ryu is a name that gets bandied about quite a bit these days, and I could totally see him happening. He kind of reminds me a bit of Terry in the sense that he's not really everyone's first pick for a Smash newcomer, but he's got a decent legacy behind him and he'd fit well with the rest of the Smash cast. He'd be a bit weird being revealed at E3, but I'd certainly be happy if he got in, I can tell you that much.

- Dante from the Devil May Cry series -
While not my first pick, I think Dante would be a pretty cool addition to the roster. He'd certainly have a great bit of variety in terms of his moveset, using stuff like guns and scythes in addition to his usual sword, his Devil Trigger could make for an interesting mechanic to differentiate him from other fighters, and maybe they could even give him combos like in his home series. He's be pretty fitting as an E3 reveal, also.

rychu_supadude

Smash Journeyman
It's been 3 years since not only Daisy's and Ridley's reveals but that everyone from every previous Smash installment had returned.

And yet here we still are with it still going on with two characters left to yet be announced.

Time has really flown.
I think it's hands down the greatest trailer in Nintendo history. There are undoubtedly others that were more hype for specific people at specific moments in time, but EVERYONE IS HERE, man... The entire thing is perfectly choreographed down to the nearest frame. It's insane how much thought was put into getting every reveal in exactly the right order for the appropriate reactions. There's just no way you can ever top that!

...And now I'm crying again. It really does get me every time.

Last edited:

SuperSmashStephen

Smash Ace
I feel like a lot of Smash fans have weird limitations on the arenas of video game design that Smash can cite, even when they know rationally Sakurai wouldn't make such limitations...
See, I agree. I feel like Euden has a good shot, and a lot of people are discrediting that.

If there is one thing I loathe about Smash Speculation, it’s the fan “rules.” I feel like a cast majority of the time, many of us are trying to justify the legitimacy and existence of certain fan “rules” to spin a narrative of why “insert desired character here” has more of a shot/deserves a spot on the roster over another character. Looking for patterns. Yada-yada what have you.

I think the biggest one that irks me right now is the “I don’t think one company with get two spots on the pass,” but in the same breath call for Master Chief’s addition. Nothing against Master Chief. It’s just an example. I think it has to do more with the franchise the character is coming from, rather than who owns it. That’s just me though.

I think our most likely addition are a mix of highly speculated and underdogs.

A Pokémon. Euden. Dr. Eggman or Tails. A Tales Of character. A Monster Hunter. Master Chief. Doomguy potentially. Crash. And Sora (my most wanted.) If Crash got in, I can’t sit here and say I’d be super hyped. I’d be happy for his fans though.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I think the biggest one that irks me right now is the “I don’t think one company with get two spots on the pass,” but in the same breath call for Master Chief’s addition. Nothing against Master Chief. It’s just an example. I think it has to do more with the franchise the character is coming from, rather than who owns it. That’s just me though.
I'm not really expecting Master Chief or a double-dip in general, but I feel like around here people who are against repeats and people who push Master Chief are separate groups who usually end up disagreeing. Dunno about anywhere else, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom