• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ivander

Smash Legend
The joke is that in game, no one realizes that Kellam exists, to the point that even in his best ending, he just up and vanishes.
His better endings don't have him vanish. They just have his name lost to history. And if your Avatar is married to him, his name is actually mentioned in the Avatar's ending. Certainly better than his normal ending.

Twilord

Smash Ace
We'll find out in 3 days, but I bet that pretty much all of you are impatient.

Sakurai announces that he'll announce the character on the 18th and no one believes me when I point out that coincides with something potentially important for a potential fighter.

PacificFun

Smash Ace
Posted this on Gfaqs:

Today is the anniversary of Daisy's Smash reveal. Daisy was my original MW.

When she was revealed, I had a mini heart attack for a second...and then realized she was a godamn carbon copy clone of Peach (Lucina and Dark Pit were shown as the examples of "Echo Fighters").

Her reveal was so bittersweet for me. After nearly 10 years of clamoring, I had "won" and "lost" all at once. I got my character...but not in the form I wanted. The people would said she wouldn't be nothing more than a pallette swap ended up being right. ;-;

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
We're three days away (maybe two, depending on your time zone); I don't want some ****ty little text leak to steal the thunder of a trailer. We're down to the wire here, it's not like we're months away where the alternative is waiting indefinitely. I'm staying away from the usual haunts in preparation.

UltimateCyborgOverlord

Smash Champion
Posted this on Gfaqs:

Today is the anniversary of Daisy's Smash reveal. Daisy was my original MW.

When she was revealed, I had a mini heart attack for a second...and then realized she was a godamn carbon copy clone of Peach (Lucina and Dark Pit were shown as the examples of "Echo Fighters").

Her reveal was so bittersweet for me. After nearly 10 years of clamoring, I had "won" and "lost" all at once. I got my character...but not in the form I wanted. The people would said she wouldn't be nothing more than a pallette swap ended up being right. ;-;

Same honestly. I wanted Strikers/Sports Daisy not "Peach Clone" Daisy.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Anyone who’s afraid of being hit by spoilers, I would recommend heading over to the E3 thread and probably steer clear of this one until the Nintendo Direct hits. I’m not everyone but I know I’d be annoyed as hell if I got spoiled two days before reveal.

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
People who see any relatively good looking game that is on switch:
View attachment 318780
"Guys guys there's NO WAY THIS GAME COULD RUN IN NORMAL SWITCH HARDWARE IT MUST BE THE SWITCH PRO!!!!!"
1623540367872.png

(see the joke is that the image is from the first Mario + Rabbids in 2017, which looks just as good as the new game. Might even be using the same exact engine. It's not ****ing smoking gun evidence of a Switch Pro.)

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Wait til the last character gets revealed and then we have to wait 6-7 years at minimum for the next one.
I think we'll see the next Smash game well before 2027 or 2028. The Switch only has about 4 years left of life in it and Smash games tend to launch relatively early in a console's lifetime, generally before the end of its second year on the market. Smash for 3DS is kind of an exception as it launched about 3 and half years after the 3DS, but that's kind of an exception given that it had to launch alongside Smash for Wii U.

I wouldn't surprise me if planning for the next Smash game starts basically as soon as development on the DLC wraps up, similar to how Ultimate enters its planning stage before Bayonetta and Corrin were released.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I think we'll see the next Smash game well before 2027 or 2028. The Switch only has about 4 years left of life in it and Smash games tend to launch relatively early in a console's lifetime, generally before the end of its second year on the market. Smash for 3DS is kind of an exception as it launched about 3 and half years after the 3DS, but that's kind of an exception given that it had to launch alongside Smash for Wii U.

I wouldn't surprise me if planning for the next Smash game starts basically as soon as development on the DLC wraps up, similar to how Ultimate enters its planning stage before Bayonetta and Corrin were released.
That assumes that Sakurai would want to return for Smash 6, as he might want to hand the series over to a new director.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
The show will go on with or without Sakurai. Smash makes far too much money and grabs far too much attention to retire with Sakurai.
Smash is also too big of a name to give it to a random Director. Whenever you like it or not, Sakurai basically also act as a PR for smash. And historically, licences switching Face-figure just crash and burn into the ground

Shroob

Sup?
Smash is also too big of a name to give it to a random Director. Whenever you like it or not, Sakurai basically also act as a PR for smash. And historically, licences switching Face-figure just crash and burn into the ground
Miyamoto's still the face of Mario, but he hasn't been actually making the games for awhile, hasn't he? Hasn't that been Tanabe?

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
That mostly depends on the vision that the new director has for Smash and whether or not fans and general audiences will accept it.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
Is Fire Emblem a joke to you?
(The series got Chrom and Byleth)
I think Fire Emblem is a joke to a good chunk of the Smash community at this point.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The show will go on with or without Sakurai. Smash makes far too much money and grabs far too much attention to retire with Sakurai.
This is factually true: never forget that Nintendo and Iwata announced Brawl without Sakurai even knowing before hand, thus he found out with the public. They then got him later and basically said "Come back and make this game, or we are making a effortless port of Melee with online functionality."

Obviously Smash will exist without Sakurai, but as long as Furukawa is PoN I think Sakurai will be involved.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
These Switch Pro jokes aren't very funny, unless the idea is making fun of people who think these new Switch games are too good graphically for regular Switch, which is silly because just look at Rise.

If the joke is insinuating there is no console upgrade for Switch, that's just dumb.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Miyamoto's still the face of Mario, but he hasn't been actually making the games for awhile, hasn't he? Hasn't that been Tanabe?
Exactly, but Miyamoto is still here doing the PR for Mario, and still sorta have an eye, even from afar...
That and he's literally on the board of directors of Nintendo. Y'know.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
It just means they'll want someone they trust to replace Sakurai, obviously Nintendo wouldn't just grab some random employee to replace him

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
I really think you're really overestimating how much the average consumer really cares about whether or not Sakurai is attached to a product. Sure, hardcore fans would notice and there would be a lot of doomposting and skepticism about Smash switching away from a director as famous as Sakurai, but Little Timmy or Frat Bro Fred aren't going to reconsider their purchases on Super Smash Bros. Kerfuffle just because the director changed.

In terms of franchises crashing and burning once they switch faces, I'm not sure if I agree with that either. With the exception of Sakamoto and Metroid, virtually every Nintendo franchise has switched directors and come out the other end fine. Miyamoto has handed Mario and Zelda off to Koizumi and Aonuma. Tajiri hasn't directed a Pokemon game since Gold and Silver and Kaga hasn't directed a Fire Emblem game since Thracia 776. Hell, this isn't even the first franchise that Sakurai has left, given that Kirby has been going strong for the 18 years since Sakurai's departure from the series.

Unless its something like Metal Gear or Mother, where the overall creative vision of the series is really dependent upon the skills and tastes of the creator, most franchises come out fine after a new captain takes command of the ship.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I wonder though if Sakurai is no longer in charge of Smash, would third parties still trust the team with their licenses? Or would a new director have to deal with the same stuff that the devs of PlayStation All-Stars did, with third parties making dumb, marketing-oriented demands or outright refusing? After all it seems that Sakurai's many connections and great handling of most characters is what has made licensing so easy for Smash.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Eventually Sakurai will move on from Smash though, and the series creator leaving will cause a hole that no one will be able to fill the same way, but eventually someone else will be on it, whether they angle them as PR or not. I mean, who's the face of Kirby now? Idk. But the series continues.

Look at Zelda - Miyamoto begat Aonuma who will beget Fujibayashi. Obviously they will continue to want Sakurai to helm the series, as he is not only a highly skilled developer, but he carries immense clout which undeniably aids in the acquisition process, now a significant aspect of Smash. And they will probably give him highly lucrative offers to continue. But ultimately he's freelance and can do what he wants. He's not going to stick around forever and Smash will continue with or without him.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
I wonder though if Sakurai is no longer in charge of Smash, would third parties still trust the team with their licenses? Or would a new director have to deal with the same stuff that the devs of PlayStation All-Stars did, with third parties making dumb, marketing-oriented demands or outright refusing? After all it seems that Sakurai's many connections and great handling of most characters is what has made licensing so easy for Smash.
I remember reading something that said Square or Sakaguchi were only comfortable giving Cloud to Smash because they knew Sakurai would do the character justice, but I might be misremembering.

Either way, I think Nintendo's general connections and Smash's clout as a franchise are enough to entice any publisher into signing a contract that would let any of their characters into Smash, barring a few massive companies like Sony or potentially Disney.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
I remember reading something that said Square or Sakaguchi were only comfortable giving Cloud to Smash because they knew Sakurai would do the character justice, but I might be misremembering.
That was Nomura, who jumped on the gun and directly made sure that Square Said Yes, the moment he knew that Sakurai was the one to ask for Cloud.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom