• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZelDan

Smash Master
Either a LoL or Pokemon guessing game being what we get for CP11 would be very awkward (as well as disappointing) for me.

Like, while Smash speculation wouldn't technically be over and would be heated for some Smash fans probably, it would practically be over me for since I wouldn't give a crap what character ends up winning in the end since I never played LoL or have no Pokemon characters I have no interest in. At least with ARMS I actually played it and actually cared about the cast of that game.

Last edited:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
There's more where that came from
Regarding the quality, I'm willing to give it the benefit of the doubt until I can see it for myself. 99% sure the version the 4chan people played is far from the final product.
The reason this sounds somewhat plausible is that 3D Sonic titles have had a tendency to include other elements to give the game length. SA1/2 had the other character's game play styles, Heroes with four campaigns, Unleashed with the Werehog, Colors/Lost World with 2D, Generations with Classic Sonic, and Forces utilizing Classic Sonic and the Avatar character.

Them having an open world to give players something other than fairly quick platformer levels does fit within Sega's wheelhouse.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
Either a LoL or Pokemon guessing game being what we get for CP11 would be very awkward (as well as disappointing) for me.

Like, while Smash speculation wouldn't technically be over and would be heated for some Smash fans probably, it would practically be over me for since I wouldn't give a crap what character ends up winning in the end since I never played LoL or have no Pokemon characters I have no interest in. At least with ARMS I actually played it and actually cared about the cast of that game.
As someone who played it for 5~ years

You're not missing much.

1622150365543.png

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero

UltimateCyborgOverlord

Smash Champion
As far as the new Sonic game, this post from months old post from 4chan (yeah yeah I know) has been making the rounds with some commenting it could line up with what we saw in the teaser:

Regarding the quality, I'm willing to give it the benefit of the doubt until I can see it for myself. 99% sure the version the 4chan people played is far from the final product.

Awwwwwwww you guys beat me to the Sonic Rangers thing, I thought I had something super cool when I found Nibel man's post about the trailer data....

Are we gonna put this in the Hall of "4chan Posts That Were Right" along with the April Fools Pokemon Let's Go Leak if it does indeed turn out to be as described?

Sage of Ice

Smash Ace
NNID
SageofIce

i'm trying to convince myself that if a Pokemon happens, it'll be something to go along with Legends: Arceus rather than anyone from gen 8. Deci redemption arc let's goooo

Paraster

Smash Lord
I don't think I've ever seen a supposed leak that says "yeah it sucks a little lol."

Ivander

Smash Legend
Demi Fiend x Dante E3 let's ****ing goooooooo
On that subject, what double reveal trailers would be fitting? Or which two characters would be fitting back-to-back? Like Demi-Fiend and Dante would be one due to their crossover and the origin of the Featuring Dante from the Devil May Cry series meme. What would be some others?

I still think a Phantasy Star character and Master Chief would be fitting.
Edit: Could you imagine a double reveal trailer for Phantasy Star? Start with Phantasy Star.....and then end with Halo

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I feel like the status quo of Sonic Team's output are titles that aren't very good. That's generally the expectation I set for every Sonic game, and when things deviate from time to time, you get to be pleasantly surprised. That said, if people who have played a build of this game say it's rough, I'm inclined to believe them. It's a Sonic game a year away from release, with intentions of an open-world. I bet it's rough, lol.

That kind of mentality just seems a lot simpler than thinking every upcoming Sonic game is going to be the one to start the series on an upward trajectory and then have to reconcile with that mostly not being the case. At this point Sonic has been mediocre longer than he's been good.

So, how bad was the ARMS guessing game?
It was cyclical and not very fun after a couple days but people act like that's literally the only thing we talked about during that stretch, and it wasn't. It just wasn't helped because that was also during the dry days of covid-spurred silence on the gaming front.

SKX31

Smash Master
I'll add my honest thoughts on the "Pokemon or LoL guessing game":

Hoo boy. One of the reasons I've brought it up as a "worst case scenario" of sorts is that in either case you'd have practically the entire Internet in flames. And I'm not just talking the English-speaking web either (such as LoL / Smash subreddits): Korean and Chinese forums would likely devolve into the exact same arguments and bickering as here over which LoL character would (deserve to) be in Smash and share the same spotlight with Mario. I'm mentioning those two sections since those are arguably LoL's biggest hotspots. And those forums would 100 % notice the guessing game being announced.

It's a similar case with Pokemon, although the anime is much more well-known than the games in certain countries / regions, so it might be a bit more low-key in some sections of the Net.

I don't mind either getting into Smash - I'd be in favor of LoL getting in. But...

Honestly the ARMs guessing game just.... sucked.

The discussion became extremely stagnant after the first few weeks, and it eventually just became everyone spinning their wheels.
... To close my thoughts, I really don't want either of two guessing games since they'd effectively be the ARMS guessing game multiplied. Sure, it may be kinda interesting for the first couple days, but not for weeks or months.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
I feel like the status quo of Sonic Team's output are titles that aren't very good. That's generally the expectation I set for every Sonic game, and when things deviate from time to time, you get to be pleasantly surprised. That said, if people who have played a build of this game say it's rough, I'm inclined to believe them. It's a Sonic game a year away from release, with intentions of an open-world. I bet it's rough, lol.

That kind of mentality just seems a lot simpler than thinking every upcoming Sonic game is going to be the one to start the series on an upward trajectory and then have to reconcile with that mostly not being the case. At this point Sonic has been mediocre longer than he's been good.

It was cyclical and not very fun after a couple days but people act like that's literally the only thing we talked about during that stretch, and it wasn't. It just wasn't helped because that was also during the dry days of covid-spurred silence on the gaming front.
I mean, obviously it wasn't 'the only thing'

But a majority of the stuff we talked about was just either the same old that we already discuss daily, Cacomallow stuff, since there was a much larger following back then, and then July hit and "Gamespot leaked Geno", which was a whole can of worms unto itself.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
On that subject, what double reveal trailers would be fitting? Or which two characters would be fitting back-to-back? Like Demi-Fiend and Dante would be one due to their crossover and the origin of the Featuring Dante from the Devil May Cry series meme. What would be some others?

I still think a Phantasy Star character and Master Chief would be fitting.
Dr. Eggman trying to capture wild animals to be roboticized only to be cartoonishly blown up by an arriving cherry bomb. He gets up swearing vengeance on whomever threw that... only to reveal Amaterasu herself poised to take him on.

Technomage

Smash Champion
Honestly the ARMs guessing game just.... sucked.

The discussion became extremely stagnant after the first few weeks, and it eventually just became everyone spinning their wheels.
Didn't last long, huh? Well, would a LoL guessing game or Pokemon guessing game last much longer than that?

Shroob

Sup?
Didn't last long, huh? Well, would a LoL guessing game or Pokemon guessing game last much longer than that?
It wouldn't last that long, since I feel like the character would probably drop August or September.

The whole ARMS guessing game period was just an awkward spot for speculation.

We just came off Byleth, a divisive pick, and COVID was just becoming a big thing across the world, so people were eager for news... only to not really get any news for another 3 months.

Technomage

Smash Champion
...do I need to break out the Horny Jail Bonk Stick?
Yes, but not on him; on me, because I'm once again taking Horny Jail to yet another level. :4pacman:

I do, however, think this'll be the last time I take it to new levels, since I doubt I can go any higher than Scythana. XD

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master
As far as the new Sonic game, this post from months old post from 4chan (yeah yeah I know) has been making the rounds with some commenting it could line up with what we saw in the teaser:

I'm surprised they even went with an Open world Sonic game if this is true. Considering it's already hard enough to make Contained levels for a character as Fast as Sonic (Especially if he keeps the boosting), I thought Open World would require way too much budget that Sega might not have

I guess they just following the trend of more open world, which is spreading around to more games. It's also why according to this post it seems half baked and needs some re-tweaking to make fun. I don't imagine Sonic Himself would be very complex character in gameplay despite the Skill tree, if the game is being called Button mashy, so it sounds like they really need to up the Enemy Design to make at least the combat interesting. Sonic GT, a Fangame which has very open ended levels has some good enemy design to actually challenge Sonic and make use of all of his abilities. It's was an early build, so hopefully the testers gave their honest opinions, and the devs took their words into account

From the Final Boss thing, it seems that combining with the time travel aspect and/or Alternate Dimension, we are getting some type of Ancient and perhaps futuristic stuff in this Game. I Imagine the ancient stuff might tie into the origin of Hedgehog kind, showing that even back then that Robotics were threatening the natural life, and if the ghost girl is any indication, we might see the Retying of Human Kind and Animal Kind back in Sonic again. We might also see elements of this in Sonic Prime also

Sonic Rangers does make sense if the whole thing is a Open world where Sonic can just run around in.

In any case, I think even if the Game is mediocre, Sonic as a brand should be fine. I guess if the reception is mediocre or even worse, we might see even more diversion from Video games to other medium, if they feel Sonic would do better there. I hope for gamers though, this game is something above mediocrity though

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
But a majority of the stuff we talked about was just either the same old that we already discuss daily, Cacomallow stuff, since there was a much larger following back then, and then July hit and "Gamespot leaked Geno", which was a whole can of worms unto itself.
I didn't find post-Min Min any more enjoyable than pre-Min Min, frankly. That whole stretch presented us with a dearth of news and one particular fanbase that was getting progressively more off the deep end. We we coming off one controversial character, we got one that would've been more polarizing if not for the guessing game, and then we got another controversial character.

The ARMS guessing game wasn't that enjoyable but I think that's endemic of a whole majority of a year that didn't provide much levity, speculation-wise. It doesn't stand out to me as that much more trying than the other endless conversations we've endured. This directionless void we're in now is pretty cyclical itself.

Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I've said it before, but if we get another guessing game, I hope it's not a Capcom-themed one.

(in this case, Bane would be Nintendo and Capcom would be the guy Bane's talking to - it's not a perfect metaphor)

I figure the end result would be much worse than the Banjo-Steve quagmire of pre-E3 2019.

Last edited:

Technomage

Smash Champion
After learning about Min Min's guessing game, I will say that I'm glad I wasn't part of the speculation scene when it was going on. * whew *

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
I'd honestly point to the post Min-Min period as being one of the nadir periods of speculation, not because of her or ARMS, but because Nintendo updates/news in general had slowed to such a crawl thanks to the pandemic. Even what we did get like the early Partner Showcase weren't handled that well, and there seemed to be an overall discontent with much the fanbase about being left in the dark in regards to what was to come. As slow as things have seemed since Pyra/Mythra, the mood still feels less frustrating overall.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom