• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Technomage

Smash Champion
Genres that have no playable representation in smash yet;

survival horror, music/rhythm, bullet hell/shmup, FPS (Samus doesn’t count, Metroid started as a side scrolling shooter), MOBA, visual novel

And I might be forgetting a few others
You forgot sports games.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Genres that have no playable representation in smash yet;

survival horror, music/rhythm, bullet hell/shmup, FPS (Samus doesn’t count, Metroid started as a side scrolling shooter), MOBA, visual novel

And I might be forgetting a few others
Think we can also count Western RPGs, MMOs, and beat-em-ups under that banner too

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
Do you think Ultimate will add at least one character from a genre with no playable representation yet?
The FPS genre technically has Dark Samus as a playable rep.. if we don't count her, we have some other genres besides FPS that COULD CERTAINLY get representation:

Visual Novels
Western RPGs
MMOs
MOBAs
Beat-Em-Ups
Tower Defenses
etc.

Last edited:

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Maybe. I can't give anyone higher than a maybe anymore. That being said, I could see Lloyd or Yuri, or Velvet to a lesser extent. Tales is regarded highly when it comes to JRPGs, often being grouped in with Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest as the Big Three of JRPGs and getting conventions andanniversary livestreams dedicated to it. Regarding their individual strengths, Lloyd's been a decently popular Smash request, and Yuri was once so popular he had to be taken off the Tales popularity polls, so both can lay claim to being "The most popular Tales character" in different fandoms. Velvet isn't quite at their level yet, but Tales of Berseria was the most recent release when FP2 was finalized and was met with positive reception.

On the topic of Lloyd's Mii, I'm sorting those on a case-by-case basis. Each of those characters had their own merits and positives to being added and aren't inherently sitting above the other Miis in any sort of pecking order. Ultimately, there's more characters who will get the shaft that the ones who'll get added, and I'm not gonna go rock-brain mode and insist that Lloyd's absolutely 100% going to get Mii'd again. I'm also not gonna say "It will be Yuri because Lloyd has a Mii that hasn't come back yet;" If he gets in, it's by his own merits, not because the other major is predicted to be off the table.
I’ve already mentioned a few times here that Velvet is one of my most wanted characters so I won’t go too far into that for now. Something else I mentioned once is I think it would be exciting to get someone who isn’t one of the main characters. I think, if any have a chance, Zaveid from Tales of Zestiria is a strong option. Zaveid has a really cool design and personality and he is the only character to my knowledge to play a major role in two separate Tales games (other than direct sequels where the whole cast returns).

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Do you think Ultimate will add at least one character from a genre with no playable representation yet?
We don't have a cooking game character yet so that's how Saber can win:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I think it’s likely, not particularly to fill a quota or anything but because there’s a wide variety of great choices who can all bring something new to the table and bring new audiences toward Smash DLC. I’d be surprised and a bit disappointed if at least one of those picks didn’t try to take advantage of that.

Also depends how wide of an umbrella you consider to be “new”. Like, Dark Souls may not apply under one lens but pretty much created a new genre from another perspective. Although my big two right now are from FPS and Puzzle anyway, lmao.

Last edited:

SKX31

Smash Master
If Heihachi’s, Geno’s, Gil’s and the Monster Hunters’ costumes returned, I feel Lloyd’s days are numbered imo

We could get a different Namco character like Yuri, Velvet, KOS-MOS, someone from Soul Calibur, someone from Dark Souls etc. but Namco seems to be too prideful to add another character, I guess they’ll think it’s nepotism cuz they’re working on the game or something idk
I don't get this logic, tbh. Sakurai/Nintendo decides which characters are going to be added, not Bandai-Namco. Sure, they can refuse to add one but it seems weird going rejecting an offer because it would be favoritism when it's not even their idea in the first place.
Yeah it's not some pride thing, it's literally being too worried about favouritism even though they're woefully represented for a company with a character on the roster.
While we don't know how the Smash 4 / Ultimate contracts were finalized - what's worth noting is that Bamco do get a sizeable cut out of all Smash 4 / Ultimate-related sales (I don't see why they wouldn't given that their dev team are aiding Sakurai). It might not be the sole reason, but that probably doesn't incentivitize getting DLC characters in when Bamco can sit back knowing that they gain revenue out of every character.

Do y'all think we'll get at least one more JRPG character?
It's certainly possible - one could certainly argue it's the most likely genre due to past precedent - but I'm not going to guarantee it because of the numerous amounts of curveballs that have come this way.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
One of my most wanted characters, Illidan Stormrage, would fill the roll of many new genres to Smash all at once. Warcraft has been an RTS, MMORPG, and digital TCG and is a big part of a MOBA. All genres not yet represented in Smash.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Do y'all think we'll get at least one more JRPG character?
Wish I saw this to respond alongside the other genre related question but I still wanna get into it a bit - personally I don’t.

Again, kinda depends on where your definition lies... like, Dark Souls isn’t what first comes to mind when you think “JRPG” but it technically classifies. And I consider it to be a valid possibility although not one I would put all my marbles behind either. Although when I hear JRPG I think a bit more traditionally.

As arbitrary as it is I’m suspicious about the placement of certain types of characters through the pass. Plopping Seph and Pythra in the middle of the pass, as opposed to bookends like Joker and Hero with Byleth all the way at the tail end, make the potential flow of characters a bit more volatile if we continue to get characters with similar appeal within close proximity of one another. And as is I think Sephiroth / Pythra kinda cover the old and new of the genre and the more classic turnbased style vs a modern more action oriented model.

Do I legitimately think Nintendo cares about this arbitrary balance? Not much, although I think they’d at least be aware of it enough to keep a potential third swordie for CP11 rather than stacking up 3/3 back to back to back (assuming another JRPG character would wield a sword - but generally most of the major protagonists do).

But perhaps a better answer would be that I simply don’t find many of the most popular candidates to be very likely, lmao. If I felt there was a strong enough case for a JRPG character in a vacuum then none of this would matter to me.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Still calling the pass will close out with two shooter archetypes (including pure mages and not sword-magic hybrids like Robin and Hero)

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
I don't know; maybe they'd want to have it both ways, where they both return Heihachi's Mii costume (due to feeling obligated to make all Mii costumes (at least the 3rd-party ones) return) and add Heihachi himself as a fighter, where Heihachi himself reps his elderly self while the Mii costume reps his younger self (so they don't have to put in the effort to add the younger version as one of Fighter Heihachi's alternate costumes)? :drshrug:
That's a massive stretch, honestly.

Even if the Tekken character would be Heihachi, younger Heihachi would likely still be in his Mii wave because both are from Tekken.

Wouldn't Nightmare from Soulcalibur create complications if he were to be attempted to be implemented? iirc, Siegfried becomes Nightmare or something along those lines, as he was possessed.
I don't see how the franchise's lore, of all things, would be what makes Nightmare complicated.

Plus, Siegfried and Nightmare have never shown the ability to transform into each other. Becoming Nightmare is essentially a point of no return where the corruption of Soul Edge is so strong you have no hope of becoming who you once were on your own. In Siegfried's case, it was Raphael freeing him in II, iirc.

Only one character in the history of the franchise could handle Soul Edge without becoming Nightmare, and Siegfriend ain't that character so there's no reason to make him a transforming character. At best, Siegfried would be an alt that references Nightmare's Malfested Siegfried outfit in II.

Last edited:

Technomage

Smash Champion
Back on another thread, someone asked a question about balancing healing moves without breaking its character, and I suggested a character who specializes in defense and survival, but sucks at damaging and killing others; any characters who could fit that mold?

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Back on another thread, someone asked a question about balancing healing moves without breaking its character, and I suggested a character who specializes in defense and survival, but sucks at damaging and killing others; any characters who could fit that mold?
I guess Ahri? Can heal herself with her Q if it has three stacks (?) but is more suited for farming minions than enemy champion takedown

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Gonna post this guy here because someone's gonna post 'em in response eventually
1621616034828.png

Technomage

Smash Champion
Other defensive characters that suck at offense, but have healing moves could include Snorlax and Chansey.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
That doesn't help at all holy ****, no offence but that may be even more toxic to fight than 2 Min Mins without friendly fire
But didn't Yasuda say " We’re waiting for our invite "? The wording tells me that it's Koei waiting for the invite, which practically says that Ryu Hayabusa and other Koei characters aren't gonna be in the roster.
I mean. Would anyone go "Yeah our character's in the game, Nintendo just hasn't announced it yet"?

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
That doesn't help at all holy ****, no offence but that may be even more toxic to fight than 2 Min Mins without friendly fire

I mean. Would anyone go "Yeah our character's in the game, Nintendo just hasn't announced it yet"?
You missed the part where he said two interviews later that KT has no plans for crossover appearances for Hayabusa

like boom. Right there. Doesn’t get any more “nope they’re not in” than that

Sephirothorsomethingidk

Smash Apprentice
Censor dodge
You missed the part where he said two interviews later that KT has no plans for crossover appearances for Hayabusa

Didn't virgin***** say something about Koei Tecmo rep or something?

Last edited by a moderator:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

Ok but let's ask an honest question. What stops them from lying? Like, if I was in charge of a decently sized company and my character was going to make an appearance in a crossover, why should I tell fans something's happening if the other company's going to announce it? Interviews are as useful as mashing your head against a keyboard when it comes to Smash speculation

cashregister9

Smash Hero
Bloons started as a puzzle game, sorry.

Which to be fair still means he'd rep an unrepresented genre.
I mean in the original Bloons game the monkey only threw 1 type of Dart, it would be safe to assume that if Dart Monkey ever got in it's moveset would take inspiration from mostly the Tower Defense games.

Last edited:

Technomage

Smash Champion

Ah, I forgot about that part. Though judging by the fact he said "Hayabusa," does that mean that other Koei characters (like Kasumi) can get in? What was the exact wording?

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Ah, I forgot about that part. Though judging by the fact he said "Hayabusa," does that mean that other Koei characters (like Kasumi) can get in? What was the exact wording?
I know someone else said they’d prefer Kasumi get in, that’s not indicative of her chances either way

a different interview for the Atelier director pretty much shoots down Ryza or an Atelier rep tho

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom