• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I wouldn't be surprised if some people veered away from shooters during the late 2000s when there were so frickin' many shooter games and it felt like only Nintendo was not focused on shooters aside from Metroid Prime. Like there were some great ones, but good lord, there were so many of them trying to get that Call of Duty/FPS money.
I, for one, am very happy to be out of the gritty, washed in brown, monster energy, testosterone oozing, everything is overexposed with the bloom effect and for some reason Avenged Sevenfold is playing era. It was drab as **** and every company bar Nintendo was racing to see who could inject their games with shooting and grunting fastest. But I mean Nintendo was also busy sailing the Blue Ocean and circle-jerking over their own spreadsheets, so...

That is my lasting overall memory of the 360/PS3/Wii epoch. It wasn't my favourite, lol.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Found this on Era, seemed fun so I'm sharing it here

I don't know how reliable is this or how exactly they took the data for this, so maybe this is kinda iffy (I'd say so because seeing the Ice Climbers so ****ing high is just hilarious), but it's still kinda curious. I'll put the images within the spoiler because they're very large

In the link there are more images and funny percentage comparisons.
Interesting how only one character in that top 10 isn’t playable in Smash.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I will say though, I think it's great how Nintendo managed to make a successful shooter without using any of the mundane and overused concepts that everyone and their grandma used in a desperate attempt to make their game a hit. Drab, dark alleyway colors are swapped out for bright candy store colors. Intense and serious action music was ignored in favor of weeb music with gibberish vocals. Your avatar isn't a buff heartthrob, but rather a weird preteen squid human hybrid. Oh, and you won't find any blood or weird oozing slime that mutates stuff. Just ink. Lots and lots of ink that has colors from only the brightest parts of the rainbow.

It sounds really stupid on paper. I'm not even sure they were confident in the game themselves considering the shooters that most people play are absolutely nothing like Splatoon.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Found this on Era, seemed fun so I'm sharing it here

I don't know how reliable is this or how exactly they took the data for this, so maybe this is kinda iffy (I'd say so because seeing the Ice Climbers so ****ing high is just hilarious), but it's still kinda curious. I'll put the images within the spoiler because they're very large

In the link there are more images and funny percentage comparisons.
I find it funny how Toad is somehow more recognizable than Bowser.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Whoever put the chart together accidentally colour-coded Kerrigan into the "civil rights leaders" category, so that's the funniest takeaway of all.
Zerg are people too.

That is my lasting overall memory of the 360/PS3/Wii epoch. It wasn't my favourite, lol.
For me, the N64/PS1 era will always be my least favorite. It's the only generation I think was actually worse than the previous one.

Those ugly early polygon graphics just looked worse than 16-bit sprites. And nobody had really figured out 3d controls yet, so most of them played worse as well.

Last edited:

Flik

Smash Journeyman
I, for one, am very happy to be out of the gritty, washed in brown, monster energy, testosterone oozing, everything is overexposed with the bloom effect and for some reason Avenged Sevenfold is playing era. It was drab as **** and every company bar Nintendo was racing to see who could inject their games with shooting and grunting fastest. But I mean Nintendo was also busy sailing the Blue Ocean and circle-jerking over their own spreadsheets, so...

My lasting PS3 memory is creating tons of characters in Dynasty Warriors, Samurai Warriors, Soul Calibur and Dragon's Dogma and developing players on PES 2009's Master League, the only "shooter" I played were Metal Gear Solid 2, 4 and Peace Walker. I'd say I had a good time :roll:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
My lasting PS3 memory is creating tons of characters in Dynasty Warriors, Samurai Warriors, Soul Calibur and Dragon's Dogma and developing players on PES 2009's Master League, the only "shooter" I played were Metal Gear Solid 2, 4 and Peace Walker. I'd say I had a good time :roll:
I mean yeah, I didn't play much of the games I didn't like. I didn't even dislike all the games that could fit under that aforementioned description. I enjoyed Gears of War well enough, the game that kicked off both this topic and the popularity of cover-based shooters, which would spawn quite a lot of uninspired imitators. That said, I was still attuned to what the trends of the industry were at the time, and that's the memory that sticks with me. There was just so much of that ilk. So much bleak grit with muddy colour palettes and companies trying to bend into things they just weren't, especially in Japan.

It's like in the 90s, when every company wanted a Sonic. And some of those mascots were better than others, but there sure were a lot for a minute there.

I found the following push to make things more open-world to be more tolerable than trying to ape games like Halo, Gears, RE4 and especially CoD, which that gen was big on. Open-world innately stresses freedom, which gives more leeway for series to mesh their existing sensibilities with the newer direction. Plus Japan once again slowly realized that being Japanese wasn't a bad thing. I'm not totally into the more narrative and cinematic movement that continues to be spearheaded by Sony, largely off of the work of Naughty Dog, but those kind of games take such a substantial budget it's hard for there to be that many.

And then there's GaaS.

But no matter what trends are being bled dry, no entire gen is going to be completely devoid of variety. It's just what's being oversaturated at any given time.

D

Deleted member

I suppose it matters not of what characters are considered to me. It's all a working progress personally, for getting as much as I can out of them all through training and exclusively confirming to random select.

Although, it would be an honor if Vergil were to be among them and including his theme "Bury The Light".

Last edited by a moderator:

Stratos

Smash Ace
Some want the Super Smash Bros. series. characters that do not come from video games but from cartoons, comics, movies and more that are not related to Nintendo such as Popeye, Son Goku, Monkey D. Luffy, Bugs Bunny and others. If that happened then the series would be renamed MUGEN and I don't want that. Only Daitoryo (Nintendo Hanafuda cards), Tengu (Nintendo Hanafuda cards), Nester (Nintendo Power), Mini Kangaroo (Mini Game Series) and Kevin "Captain N" Keene (Captain N: The Game Master) who although they do not come from video games related to Nintendo and I want see them in Super Smash Bros. series.

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
My prediction...we're gonna see both characters announced during the E3 Direct. The Sakurai Presents for FP10 will be, like, a week later, with the character immediately after. And then the last Sakurai Presents with be 2-3 months later.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Everyone's here wanting to get the new character to see who it is.
And here I'am just hopping for a patch that just throw into the mud Min-min and Pyra/Mythra competitively-

Bobthealligator

Smash Ace
My prediction...we're gonna see both characters announced during the E3 Direct. The Sakurai Presents for FP10 will be, like, a week later, with the character immediately after. And then the last Sakurai Presents with be 2-3 months later.
I don't think they'll make us sit on the last character for 3 months before it releases.

Staarih

Smash Master
I don't think they'll make us sit on the last character for 3 months before it releases.
Banjo was revealed in June and released in September, Terry revealed in September and released in November, not to mention the 4+ month wait with Joker.

They were Pass 1 and different times, sure, and they seem to have stepped up with the reveal to release ratio these days... but waiting for a few months until release isn't so farfetched imo. Not to say I necessarily expect both characters revealed at E3 but I could see it happen.

One of them being the last DLC character may also play a part I guess and it could be wanted to be kept under wraps for a last surprise at a later date. That's a reasonable take.

Last edited:

Bobthealligator

Smash Ace
Banjo was revealed in June and released in September, Terry revealed in September and released in November, not to mention the 4+ month wait with Joker.

They were Pass 1 and different times, sure, and they seem to have stepped up with the reveal to release ratio these days... but waiting for a few months until release isn't so farfetched imo. Not to say I necessarily expect both characters revealed at E3 but I could see it happen.

One of them being the last DLC character may also play a part I guess and it could be wanted to be kept under wraps for a last surprise at a later date.
Banjo wasn't the last character though. And Banjo and Hero were revealed when we only knew about one character. If the reveal the last two characters in one go then they're going to kill a lot of hype for the last couple months of Ultimate's development.

rychu_supadude

Smash Journeyman
There's just different ideology behind the timing of DLC reveals from Nintendo's point of view. FP1 originally had a primary focus of driving sales for Ultimate itself, so revealing the characters months ahead of time was a key part of getting that early attention. By the time of FP2's release, the game was already a sales juggernaut, and the characters are instead focused on driving sales for the DLC itself. To that end, it's important to have a small window between reveal and release to keep the hype at its highest level.

If there are two reveals at E3, I'd expect it would be because BOTH releases are imminent.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
One thing I don't think has been pointed out about Calendar Theory is that it lines up with how DLC fighters seem to need about seven months of development each. If CP10 started development right after Steve, they could be done this month, and if 11 was right after Sephiroth, they could be done in August.

Bobthealligator

Smash Ace
A few hours until we should see whether Calendar Theory is correct or another pattern that yet breaks.
Have none of you guys heard of standard deviation?

I made my account here because you'd conveniently forgotten about that concept for Blog Theory because ignoring the Standard Deviation meant you were going to get 6 more characters.

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
I never really dug modern first-person shooters, but I do have to say that DOOM 2016 really had me appreciating a modern FPS for the first time. Mainly thanks to being an actual video game that you play, with a setting and personality that you can actually distinguish from generic shadow-man war game #23453981. DOOM Eternal is also bangin'. It's a real shame that I never really started vibing with the idea of the Doom Slayer in Smash until after his seeming deconfirmation.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Anyway if we’re gonna talk crackpot theories I have a theory the last two will be gunner type characters like Reimu, Octoling, or Jinx

we got:
Two swordies (Sephiroth and Pythra)
One punchy (Min Min)
One pseudo-punchy cuz they sure ain’t swordies or shooties (Steve/Alex) yes they technically can use a sword or axe but their moveset isn’t limited to that

so we need two shooters. Or one shooter and one pseudo-shooter (would mage types count as pseudo-shooters?)

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master
Anyway if we’re gonna talk crackpot theories I have a theory the last two will be gunner type characters like Reimu, Octoling, or Jinx

we got:
One punchy (Min Min)
One pseudo-punchy cuz they sure ain’t swordies or shooties (Steve/Alex) yes they technically can use a sword or axe but their moveset isn’t limited to that

so we need two shooters. Or one shooter and one pseudo-shooter (would mage types count as pseudo-shooters?)
Reimu and Master Chief. This lines up with the double reveal idea too where we get one Western pick and one Japanese pick.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Tbf I don't think it'll be this week but I could see the Mr Sakurai Presents being at E3 and the reveal being at the end of May
A Sakurai Presents at E3 would take too much time, they wanna take the time to show off new games or reveal DLC, not go into detail. Treehouses are usually reserved for new games

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
Call of Duty would've been taken more seriously if it wasn't released every year. Back then, the story modes were enjoyable, the multiplayer was fun, and the zombies mode was different enough from the "generic shooter" tropes that it spawned its own dedicated modding community still active to this day.

I never thought Call of Duty, at least the older titles, deserved the flack it got, it's just unfortunately tied to Activision. They're still a great introduction to the FPS genre. Little kids flocking to the games probably didn't help, but I don't think they should be counted out as legitimate FPS games because that's kinda the impression I'm getting.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
I personally spoke with Sakurai some time ago.

He says the DLC is canceled because he can't be ****ed to do anything anymore because y'all are a bunch of God-less heathens.
That's strange because Sakurai said progress on Tingle and the Master Chief Mii costume was going great when I called him this morning (I walk his cat).

SharkLord

Smash Hero

we got:
One punchy (Min Min)

If Steve's a pseudo-punchy because of their short range, I'd say a mage would be close enough to a shooty.

In this case, let's predict, uh... Reimu and Ahri. I dunno, they're just the first characters who fit that come to mind. At this point it's as good a guess as any :drshrug:

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334

we got:
One punchy (Min Min)

Crash Bandicoot as the pseudo shooter (Because of his fruit bazooka) and of course Sgt. Cortez as the full shooter.

Time to Split!

Time to Split compressed 2.gif

Last edited:

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
I could see a Sakurai Presents occuring prior to Nintendo's formal direct. Smash is big enough to justify giving a dedicated presentation, we're most likely getting FP10 around E3 based on the average period between releases, and Nintendo already has a very loaded direct with the Switch Pro, BotW2, Splatoon 3, and whatever else is coming in the near future.

It's not the first time this happened either, E3 2015 also had a dedicated Smash DLC direct, so there's also some precedent supporting this outcome.

Gengar84

Smash Hero

we got:
One punchy (Min Min)

I’ll take Bill Rizer and Lance Bean from Contra or Pharaoh Man as the shooter. As far as pseudo shooters go, I think Zegram Ghart counts here since he uses a shuriken, if not, I’ll take Magus.

Last edited:

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
What interests me to the most about this year's E3 for Nintendo is the fact that the Switch is beginning to age. The titles that are announced, depending on their size and impact, might give us a better estimate of how many years the Switch still has outside of hearing corporate repeat it's staying for a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom