• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Call of Duty would've been taken more seriously if it wasn't released every year. Back then, the story modes were enjoyable, the multiplayer was fun, and the zombies mode was different enough from the "generic shooter" tropes that it spawned its own dedicated modding community still active to this day.

I never thought Call of Duty, at least the older titles, deserved the flack it got, it's just unfortunately tied to Activision. They're still a great introduction to the FPS genre. Little kids flocking to the games probably didn't help, but I don't think they should be counted out as legitimate FPS games because that's kinda the impression I'm getting.
I only played up to Black Ops back in the day (although I have had a taste of some of the entries after that through playing them at friend's houses and stuff like that), but classic Call of Duty does get a pretty bum rap. They're well-designed games with easy-to-understand controls and a very enjoyable and addictive core gameplay loop. Media generally doesn't get and remain as big as Call of Duty is without some thought being put into the product itself, regardless of ridiculous their marketing budgets might be.

I think a lot of people see the series' size and its "dudebro" reputation and assume that it's lowest common denominator entertainment when that's really not the case (at least with the classic games, not sure about the modern ones).

PacificFun

Smash Ace
Anyway if we’re gonna talk crackpot theories I have a theory the last two will be gunner type characters like Reimu, Octoling, or Jinx

we got:
Two swordies (Sephiroth and Pythra)
One punchy (Min Min)
One pseudo-punchy cuz they sure ain’t swordies or shooties (Steve/Alex) yes they technically can use a sword or axe but their moveset isn’t limited to that

so we need two shooters. Or one shooter and one pseudo-shooter (would mage types count as pseudo-shooters?)
Lara Croft and Octoling (would be an actual zoner unlike Inkling).

Technomage

Smash Champion
Anyway if we’re gonna talk crackpot theories I have a theory the last two will be gunner type characters like Reimu, Octoling, or Jinx

we got:
Two swordies (Sephiroth and Pythra)
One punchy (Min Min)
One pseudo-punchy cuz they sure ain’t swordies or shooties (Steve/Alex) yes they technically can use a sword or axe but their moveset isn’t limited to that

so we need two shooters. Or one shooter and one pseudo-shooter (would mage types count as pseudo-shooters?)
Okay, the two shooter fighters I'd pick are Eggman and Lara Croft.

Crash Bandicoot as the pseudo shooter (Because of his fruit bazooka) and of course Sgt. Cortez as the full shooter.

Time to Split!

View attachment 315638
I've been thinking about Cortez, and since he'd have time-manipulation moves in his moveset, if he were the first FPS fighter to enter Smash, would he make any later FPS fighters lose some of their hype due to making them look less unique? Don't get me wrong, I'd be interested in Cortez entering the roster; I'm just a bit worried about what it could potentially do to other FPS characters.

Call of Duty would've been taken more seriously if it wasn't released every year. Back then, the story modes were enjoyable, the multiplayer was fun, and the zombies mode was different enough from the "generic shooter" tropes that it spawned its own dedicated modding community still active to this day.
Yeah, nothing against CoD, but I thinks it's okay to make its game at least a bi-yearly thing and that it should happen, since not only would it steal less resources from other titles, but it also wouldn't get stale as early.

SNEKeater

Smash Master

"Would you like to relive the good old Klonoa days, last felt 13 years ago?"

Namco seems to be kinda teasing something, SharkLord SharkLord

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Last edited:

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
I've been thinking about Cortez, and since he'd have time-manipulation moves in his moveset, if he were the first FPS fighter to enter Smash, would he make any later FPS fighters lose some of their hype due to making them look less unique? Don't get me wrong, I'd be interested in Cortez entering the roster; I'm just a bit worried about what it could potentially do to other FPS characters.
I wouldn't worry about Cortez stealing the hype away from other First Person Shooter characters since the other FPS characters that people talk about are much more popular than him so them showing up at all would be hype for people. Maybe Cortez's temporal Uplink would damage the uniqueness of the gravity gun for Gordon Freeman since they function identically but that's all I can really think that would put a damper on any other FPS character.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero

From what I've gathered, this is part of some kind of "Nostalgia Week" thing they're doing. Every day, they make a thread related to an old/obscure IP and explain it to Twitter, ending with a poll asking if we wanted to see a return. Yesterday, they did Idolmaster, and today they did Klonoa. This doesn't guarantee that something will happen, but the person doing this mentioned they'll send the data to the higher-ups to let them know.

Kinda wish more companies would do this sort of thing. It might help with more revivals...

spicynun

Smash Journeyman

I would take a Klonoa 2 port if nothing else. The game has become rather expensive and has never been re-released. (And my sister currently has our copy)

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero

Oh shoot Klonoa got acknowledged

Oh wait the account says "NO." must be a fan account.

Oh wait no that's official just for the Nordic states

OH SHOOT KLONOA JUST GOT ACKNOWLEDGED

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
From what I've gathered, this is part of some kind of "Nostalgia Week" thing they're doing. Every day, they make a thread related to an old/obscure IP and explain it to Twitter, ending with a poll asking if we wanted to see a return. Yesterday, they did Idolmaster, and today they did Klonoa. This doesn't guarantee that something will happen, but the person doing this mentioned they'll send the data to the higher-ups to let them know.

Kinda wish more companies would do this sort of thing. It might help with more revivals...
Whoa, Idolmaster? IN THE WEST? I thought that was a JP only thing

also, Xenosaga when... 😭

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Whoa, Idolmaster? IN THE WEST? I thought that was a JP only thing

also, Xenosaga when... 😭
Um... what game is this from?

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Um... what game is this from?

...not Xenosaga that much is certain

doesn’t look like Katamari either

WHOA WHOA HOL UP WESTERN IDOLMASTER RELEASE??

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I think a lot of people see the series' size and its "dudebro" reputation and assume that it's lowest common denominator entertainment when that's really not the case (at least with the classic games, not sure about the modern ones).
What really happened is that PC gamers were mad that Modern Warfare 2 would not have support for mods and dedicated servers unlike previous games, causing them to boycott the game. Contrarians joined the boycott just to say "**** what all the kids are into these days", and here we are today.

Dukefire

Smash Master
I remember the Klonoa series. Only I play the demo ps2 bits growing up and the Wii version later.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Hold up

that dot on the white background looks suspiciously like a frame from the opening to Namco X Capcom

what series is the successor to that...?

GASP

HOLY MOTHER OF FRICK IS PROJECT X ZONE 3 ACTUALLY HAPPENING DO NOT PLAY WITH MY HEART LIKE THIS NAMCO AND MONOLITH I GAVE UP HOPE AFTER SOME OF THE TEAM LEFT IFKFJEOSUHWKALA);&93’

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Hold up

that dot on the white background looks suspiciously like a frame from the opening to Namco X Capcom

what series is the successor to that...?

GASP

HOLY MOTHER OF FRICK IS PROJECT X ZONE 3 ACTUALLY HAPPENING DO NOT PLAY WITH MY HEART LIKE THIS NAMCO AND MONOLITH I GAVE UP HOPE AFTER SOME OF THE TEAM LEFT IFKFJEOSUHWKALA);&93’
Calm down, CALM DOWN! Like I said earlier, there's no guarantee this will lead to a new game. The most we can do is hope that the data collected from this is enough to convince Bandai Namco to at least consider it.

Besides, what if it's related to .hack or something? I can totally see that one showing up here...

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Calm down, CALM DOWN! Like I said earlier, there's no guarantee this will lead to a new game. The most we can do is hope that the data collected from this is enough to convince Bandai Namco to at least consider it.

Besides, what if it's related to .hack or something? I can totally see that one showing up here...
Doesn’t look like .hack either, and I’ve watched playthrus of IMOQ and GU and I don’t recall anything looking like that

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Hey uh

when was the last time they permanently added event spirits to the normal spirit board rotation?

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Let’s have a bit of fun.
Name 5 assist trophies and 2 pokeballs you would want upgrade to playable and why.
Isaac: I love Golden Sun
Zero: Mostly cause he's just a favorite character of mine.
Shadow: Sweet echo choice or just for the fact we're missing great Shadow music.
Ashley: My favorite WarioWare character.
Takamaru: He's a Samurai. Yes.

Shovel Knight I don't want as much as Zero, but an easy option too.

Genesect,: Best Gen 5 Pokemon, imo.
Meowth: Team Rocket rules.

Mimikyu, Deoxys, and Gardevoir also stand out.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom