• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rhythm Theif

Smash Ace
An Apartment With Stolen Forgery Art In Paris
Switch FC
SW-2028-5151-9144
Nintendo has always chosen 3rd party characters for Smash using the same criteria. Among those criteria are recognizability and popularity. In the unlikely event that we do get a Darkstalkers character, it will be Morrigan no matter how much you or anyone else would prefer it wasn't.
Yeah, but still. I wouldn't complain on whichever Darkstalkers character we got if that ever happened, but it's always nice to throw a curveball every now and then and I can totally see Nintendo doing it with Darkstalkers if it ever got into Smash. Besides, Nintendo has never ALWAYS chosen third-party characters by the same criteria of recognizability and popularity. I mean, look at Banjo & Kazooie.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I don't really care about Chun-Li personally, but I'm 100% willing to say she deserves to be here, probably more so than literally any other Smash candidate. She's THE video game girl. It's pretty telling that Smash is one of the few times Ryu has crossed over without Chun-Li coming with him, and this is coming from someone who has Phoenix as his most wanted newcomer.

Anyone who thinks that we'll get another SF character before Chun-Li is flat out delusional.
I think Alex would be more appropriate for the purpose of an SF challenger pack, to showcase more music/spirits from post-SFII, but Smash would still be a HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGE outlier for having three SF reps and none of them being Chun-Li.

Pillow

Smash Lord
Yeah, but still. I wouldn't complain on whichever Darkstalkers character we got if that ever happened, but it's always nice to throw a curveball every now and then and I can totally see Nintendo doing it with Darkstalkers if it ever got into Smash. Besides, Nintendo has never ALWAYS chosen third-party characters by the same criteria of recognizability and popularity. I mean, look at Banjo & Kazooie.
I mean, yeah side characters are cool. My favorite DS character is BB Hood. But Morrigan is really the only candidate.

...also the B&K comment just confuses me. Are you implying that there was a character from Banjo & Kazooie that should've been added in their stead?

SKX31

Smash Master
Would Morrigan be like Ryu, Ken, and Terry? She's from a fighting game, so she'd probably have all the inputs and facing-the-opponent bits down.

Come to think of it, any fighting game character added to Smash could be like that.
All that plus extra mechanics like chain combos, which I suppose in Smash would become light jab->light tilt->heavy tilt->smash attack.

On a basic level, yeah. But: :ultryu: , :ultken: and :ult_terry: already play pretty damn differently from each other. Ryu generally prefers confirming into Hadokens and just play traditional Street Fighter footsies, Ken benefits a lot from combo extensions and getting people into SHORYUKENs. Terry, meanwhile, is Mr. "oops-you-hit-a-button-in-neutral-here's-45%" because he doesn't have Ken's extensions but devastating confirms.

Morrigan would likely share inputs, cancelling into specials and facing-the-opponent, yes - but she has temporary Flight for starters, which alone drastically gives her more aerial mobility than the three FGC characters in the game. Some of her other unique attacks include a missile barrage (Finishing Shower), Vector Drain is a grab that can function as a slight life drain (IIRC).

Of the moves she does share with Ryu and Ken: Soul Fist has different properties from Hadoken and Shadow Blade goes in a more diagonal angle than Shoryuken does. She's also able to cancel these into Flight, at least in UMV3.

While this does remind me of her UMVC3 days, which was infamous for Soul Fist + Astral Vision (the copy from across the stage) spam, I don't think she'd neccessarily play like that. At least all the time. She'd probably be able to extend and confirm comboes - but she'd also likely be very light, to account for her Flight and more aerial mobility overall. She might have some disjoints unlike the three already in, but those might not be as safe as the other FGC characters' tilts or whatever. She'd still likely be more focused on the spacing game as a result.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Now, the question is:
where would the character appear on the Smash Ultimate poster should he or she get in?

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
One: I love that photo. Thank you. I'mma save it to my desktop later.

Two: Sadly, that movie was a live action film. And it did not get received well. Wasn't as bad as the original live-action Street Fighter movie, but STILL.

Three, and I've ALREADY explained this to detail on the previous page: not only has Morrigan been the Darkstalkers representative in crossover fighting game Capcom has ever made, she's been the Darkstalkers representative in EVERYTHING. Bringing her into Smash would mean two things: 1, Sakurai would have to censor her, and 2, if you put her in before any other Darkstalkers rep, it would TOTALLY defeat the purpose of Darkstalkers having various characters newcomers to the series would still have to be introduced too, because Morrigan would overshadow every other Darkstalkers character the series has and hog all the limelight. Besides, I don't know if you know this or not, but Morrigan is the most popular Darkstalker. And she's been used OVER AND OVER AGAIN. And I get that when I mentioned Sakura and Makoto I brought up their popularity, but with a series like Darkstalkers, variety is key. Don't just keep using Morrigan. SNK gets it: just look at 2003's SNK vs. Capcom: SVC Chaos.

Four: Like I said before, if Dante and Phoenix get in, I'm fine with that. I'm not a whiny little butthead who complains over not getting what I want (looking at you, people complaining over Smash having 16 swordfighters at this point).
The movie being badly received doesn't matter, where's Sakura's movie? Where's Sakura in MvC3, TvC, Power Rangers and more? Where's Sakura's song done by a mainstream artist?

Are you upset that Smash had Sonic instead of Vector the Crocodile or Cream the Rabbit? Are you upset we got Snake instead of Silent Wolf or Vamp? Are you upset we got Mega Man instead of Guts Tank or Dr. Cossack? I'm not sure if you're aware of this, but Morrigan's the main character of Darkstalkers. They keep using her because of her status as the main character and thus, the mascot.

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
All you need to do is look at my signature for my top 10 most wanted as well as all the other dozens of characters I support.

But since I haven't gone in depth on why they are my most wanteds for a while, I'll share my thoughts on them again.

Phoenix Wright: My second most wanted. My second favorite game next to Ultimate itself. The games are amazing with some fantastic stories and has some of my favorite casts of characters ever. It also has my favorite overall soundtrack and the gameplay gives me a feeling that no other game has given me. The moment when I present the correct evidence, the music starts kicking in, and I see the killer shaking in their boots, that feeling is next level satisfying.

Doom Slayer: Badass moveset potential. Badass music. Badass design. Doom is soooooo cool all around and It's easy to imagine in Smash with him being a fast glass cannon with some powerful close-combat capabilities.

Monokuma: Another one of my top favorite series. Danganronpa is one of the most immersive series I've experienced and has such a fun cast of characters. Monokuma would stand out overall due to his out there design and moveset centering around what I would assume to be elements from the various executions. This is also another killer soundtrack with Scrum Debate being one of my favorite songs in general.

Agumon: I grew up with Digimon. Agumon would be unique due to digivolution and with Sephiroth bringing Advent Children music with him, I'd hope that we would get maybe at least the opening song for Digimon Adventure. The anime is one of my favorite shows and I loved the Rumble Arena games when I was younger.

Crash: He is nostalgic fuel for me. Some of my earliest gaming memories were with him and I've had a blast with many of his games. The Crash trilogy, all the racing games, Twinsanity, and even Crash of the Titans I enjoyed. I love this series so much and Crash is such a lovable doofus which is why he is my top most wanted.

Kratos: Out of all the Sony characters, I think Kratos would be the coolest. He has so many weapons to make for an absolutely badass moveset, there are a lot of iconic set pieces like the Hydra fight and the opening fights from God of War 2 and 3, as well as some gorgeous locations from the new game to make for a very interesting stage. There is also plenty of kickass music like Rage of Sparta and the Hades boss fight theme. Kratos would be such a great choice and I've enjoyed every single God of War game.

Master Chief: It's god dam Master Chief. The mascot of Xbox. The thought of him fighting Mario is mindblowing. I dig his design, his weapons, and his games, Having Halo in Smash would solidify Ultimate as the best crossover of all time.

Crypto: My top pipe dream. Destroy All Humans is a great series filled with witty characters, smart commentary and parodies on the decades that the games are set in, and very cool weapons and abilities. If you want to play an alien invasion game where you are the alien blowing **** up and probing humans, I highly recommend trying Destroy All Humans and it's coming to the Switch in a couple months!

Nightmare: Soul Calibur (other than Smash) is the game that got me into fighting games and is my favorite traditional fighter. I really enjoy the atmosphere and lore of the series and the characters are colorful and memorable. Nightmare is badass, and Soul Calibur has one of my top favorite OSTs. It is absolute banger after banger. I want the soundtrack in Smash so badly.

Bill Rizer: The Contra games are some of my favorite games on the NES, SNES, and Genesis. Upbeat, memorable music, protagonists and stories that come straight out of an 80s action film, and a balls to the wall moveset. I don't have much else to say. Contra is just great all around.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Maybe I'm a bit disillusioned about what the problem would be with getting Chun-Li because I'm always a little annoyed when the conversation comes up about whether or not Chun-Li should make it in over Dante / Phoenix / whoever else from Capcom. I get it, putting all your eggs in one basket isn't ideal especially when Capcom has so much to offer, but I guess on my end it's like... the Street Fighter I love still is not represented in Smash.

SFII is cool, it's an iconic game that defined a genre. Obviously it's the bread and butter of the series and everything that has followed suit has followed its example. But with Smash treating SFII as the only game in the series, there is so much left to explore that leaves me feeling empty. And especially after Terry came with KOF Stadium, it really really sucks that none of SF's amazing characters have the opportunity to appear beyond Guile's AT. SF's content is deceiving in that despite having a good amount of content on the surface, the distribution of that content is IMO very poor and dismissive toward Street Fighter's entire legacy. There's hardly anything here that shows people like... why Street Fighter is cool, yknow?

Also... regardless of how you feel about those other Capcom characters, Chun-Li is really in a league of her own. I find it difficult to be too upset over giving SF its third character (on technicality - obviously Ken is an echo fighter, although he's a damn good one) when said character is one of the most popular and influential video game characters of all time. Chun-Li's presence in and of itself would be a crossover milestone for Smash.

Prior to Sephiroth I think you'd have a lot of people suggesting that if we got another FF character it shouldn't be from FF7, right? Granted, Sephiroth provided content from FF7 that wasn't there from the start, but you get the jist here. In my eyes the worth of the character themselves is enough to transcend whether or not the game they came from is well enough off. Sephiroth was enough and I think Chun-Li would be too. But of course if you don't want her in the game then that's fine - although I'd really like to see people judge her more on her merit as a character and less from her merit quantified by whether or not Street Fighter needs a "third rep".

But that's just me I suppose, and I'm definitely biased. And at one point I would have been disappointed to get another Sonic character over something new from Sega, but admittedly I've gotten over that and saw the potential in expanding on Sonic as well so... I urge you all to do the same, lmao. Or not, that's fine.

Last edited:

ahemtoday

Smash Ace
Update on this, I've checked in with @Ramen Tengoku about pinning the thread and they're checking in with the rest of the staff. Now we just have to wait for a response.

I'm trying to keep momentum for the idea going, so it doesn't just die out after the initial conception, so are there any other rules we should add? I think we've nailed the basics down, but I feel like we might be missing a couple subtleties.
We haven't quite explored the "content concept submission" side of the rules, but I'm not sure how much management that would even need. Maybe an incentive to reply to those with detailed thoughts?

Even so, if we do end up having to add in new rules, it's not the end of the world. I doubt RTC had all its rules in place from the start anyhow.

Dukefire

Smash Master
How would crash use his tools and his gimmick?

We got the different types of crates with the Nitro crate being the most DANGEROUS and would Aku Aku be applied? How would his Final Smash work?

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
How would crash use his tools and his gimmick?

We got the different types of crates with the Nitro crate being the most DANGEROUS and would Aku Aku be applied? How would his Final Smash work?
SKX31 made a good post for how his gameplan could work assuming no gimmicks a while ago about momentum iirc which works for the character, but for a final smash? Easy, have Crash wear Aku Aku and run in the enemy, go to a cutscene where he looks behind himself to blow raspberries at who he caught before crashing into something, setting a boulder free, in a panicked state, he runs away, running the trapped opponent once more before they get crushed by the boulder

SharkLord

Smash Hero
We haven't quite explored the "content concept submission" side of the rules, but I'm not sure how much management that would even need. Maybe an incentive to reply to those with detailed thoughts?

Even so, if we do end up having to add in new rules, it's not the end of the world. I doubt RTC had all its rules in place from the start anyhow.
Yeah, I definitely remember a couple rules being added on when I was still frequenting RTC, and that was like 400-500 different submissions in. If we need to change some stuff midway through, there's nothing stopping us.

And yeah, maybe some noms for feedback would help. It's always nice to get acknowledgement for your efforts beyond just a silent like and that's it.

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
No. I'm talking about how people expected Challenger Pack 3 to be Crash Bandicoot and instead we got Banjo & Kazooie.
Nah, I wouldn't say that and this coming from someone who's "Current" most wanted is Crash Bandicoot after Banjo-Kazooie made the cut in Fighter Pass 1.

While Crash Bandicoot has been speculated before he kind of was viewed more of a "Middle of the pack" pick, It wasn't until Banjo-Kazooie's inclusion where "Western characters" were starting to be taken more seriously.

Banjo-Kazooie was in the same boat only because most didn't think he would be possible because Microsoft owns the IP, But once Phil Spencer (Head of the Xbox division) gave the "OK" Banjo-Kazooie's stock then got a rocket ship up it's ass then became one of the most heavily speculated characters in "Smash Bros Ultimate" speculation and the rest is history.

Crash Bandicoot is going through a somewhat similar phase has he's constantly been compared to and viewed as the potential "Banjo-Kazooie" of fighter pass 2 as he's a popular pick that many Smash fans see as a natural fit and a character that just makes too much sense not to be in Smash and his big comeback the last few years has only further elevated that demand.

But based on the Smash speculation scene whether it's on forums or Youtube, I think most will agree that Crash Bandicoot is probably the "Current" most speculated and wanted character for Smash Bros.

Last edited:

Merengue

Smash Journeyman
Most Wanteds

1.KOS-MOS

2.Heavy(Team Fortress 2)
(The most fever dream character in my list)

3.Porky
(Likely to be another main antagonist for a WoL sequel if introduced)

4.Reimu

5.Steve

6.Sephirtoh
(Getting One-Winged Angel in the game would be good)

The Rhythm Theif

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-2028-5151-9144
The movie being badly received doesn't matter, where's Sakura's movie? Where's Sakura in MvC3, TvC, Power Rangers and more? Where's Sakura's song done by a mainstream artist?
Here's Sakura's song and it's done by her JAPANESE VOICE ACTRESS.
Plus, I know it's not the intent behind your post, but I could tell just from the way you worded that first paragraph that your reply (in my head) sounds extremely rude.

Are you upset that Smash had Sonic instead of Vector the Crocodile or Cream the Rabbit? Are you upset we got Snake instead of Silent Wolf or Vamp? Are you upset we got Mega Man instead of Guts Tank or Dr. Cossack?
I'm not upset by any of that.

I'm not sure if you're aware of this, but Morrigan's the main character of Darkstalkers. They keep using her because of her status as the main character and thus, the mascot.
Yeah, well, Donovan was the MAIN CHARACTER of Darkstalkers: The Night Warriors. So according to your logic, Donovan should be used more just because of his main character status in one game. Plus, if you still don't believe me, Cutie, at the ending of Morrigan's story in Super Gem Fighter Mini Mix, it literally shows Morrigan complaining that Lilith - which is basically Morrigan with a more cheerful personality and less painful moves - is more popular than she is. I am serious about this.
Morrigan complaining about Lilith's popularity.jpg

(You tried it, Morrigan. You tried it.)

My point is that while it is nice to use the main character, you shouldn't use them TOO MUCH. Morrigan is - as you say - the "main character of Darkstalkers" (Yeah, I'm sorry, Donovan came first), and Capcom is using her to no end when they have other characters to represent the Darkstalkers series. Like I said: not only has Morrigan been the Darkstalkers representative in crossover fighting game Capcom has ever made, she's been the Darkstalkers representative in EVERYTHING. Like SNK proved in SNK vs. Capcom: SVC Chaos by adding Demitri into the game over Morrigan (and they did it again in King of Fighters 14 by adding Nakoruru as the Samurai Shodown rep over Haohmaru - and that choice ended up getting them out of bankruptcy), you don't need to use the main character of a series in order for people to recognize it. And that's what I want Nintendo to do with Darkstalkers if it ever comes to Smash. If you don't want that to happen, that's alright: it's just MY opinion. You have no right to be rude over it and make your replies sound rude to me.

I don't know whether you know this or not, but in order for a series or franchise to be recognized, you don't just need to copy and paste your "main character" into every single piece of media you can find. There's all sorts of secondary characters too, and they need some attention in the spotlight as well. Capcom did it with Red Earth, because even though they usually use Tessa for crossovers, in Capcom Fighting Evolution they brought over characters that WEREN'T TESSA (Kenji, Leo, Hauzer, and Hydron). They also did it with Cyberbots as well, as though they usually use Jin Saotome for the crossovers, they also bring in Devilotte as well, and hell: sometimes they even bring in BOTH OF THEM. They even did it with Rival Schools, and they used a LOT of variety when it came to wondering which characters from Rival Schools to put in other fighting games. I just want the same thing to happen with Darkstalkers, as though they bring in some other Darkstalkers characters sometimes, Morrigan just hogs the spotlight from every one of the Darkstalkers who joins her in a crossover (usually Felicia and Hsien-Ko, and sometimes Donovan is thrown in there).

Listen, you can reply to my comment in whatever way you want: just don't make it sound like you're being rude.

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Crash Bandicoot is going through a somewhat similar phase has he's constantly been compared to and viewed as the potential "Banjo-Kazooie" of fighter pass 2 as he's a popular pick that many Smash fans see as a natural fit and a character that just makes too much sense not to be in Smash and his big comeback the last few years has only further elevated that demand.
I really don't like the comparison of Crash's support to that of Banjo, one of which has only just gotten started to the extent it's at now and the other which has been a strong and vocal movement for twenty years. Like, Crash would certainly be a crowd pleaser but he is not the same kind of crowd pleaser.

I see a lot of people treating Crash like he's been a longtime request that people have been rallying behind for ages (a la Ridley, K. Rool, Banjo) and, while it doesn't disqualify his merit in a vacuum or the popularity he's gained over the last three years, Crash is not that. So I kind of take issue to him being the "Banjo-Kazooie" of the pass for a reason I can only assume is the similar aesthetics and genre that they share.

I feel like in a lot of ways Ultimate has people feeling like these big requests are just gonna get fast-tracked to playing out when unfortunately, more often than not, it's gonna take a while to send that message. Again, twenty years for Banjo and three for Crash.

Last edited:

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
5.Steve

6.Sephirtoh
(Getting One-Winged Angel in the game would be good)
I must have traveled back in time. And I can confirm that Crash gets in. Also Crypto is the last character. Now bow down to your alien overlord.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
The big difference between Chun-Li being DLC compared to Sephiroth is that her hypothetical challenger pack would help improve SF representation and make it less lopsided, focusing on stuff beyond SF2, whereas Sephiroth did nothing to deal with the issue of FF’s lack of overall representation, only getting more content from FF7.

Merengue

Smash Journeyman
Just like that Porky brings missing Earthbound content such as Fassad(with evolution), Natural Killer Cyborg, Giygas, Pork Trooper, Pigmask, and the Pig King Statue from Brawl

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Sephiroth did nothing to deal with the issue of FF’s lack of overall representation, only getting more content from FF7.
You say this like FF7 had anything beyond the absolute bare minimum in the base game. Sure, we don't have spirits and music from the other FFs, but it seems a bit disingenuous to claim that Sephiroth's inclusion did nothing for improving for FF's representation in Smash.

Last edited:

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
I really don't like the comparison of Crash's support to that of Banjo, one of which has only just gotten started to the extent it's at now and the other which has been a strong and vocal movement for twenty years. Like, Crash would certainly be a crowd pleaser but he is not the same kind of crowd pleaser.

I see a lot of people treating Crash like he's been a longtime request that people have been rallying behind for ages (a la Ridley, K. Rool, Banjo) and, while it doesn't disqualify his merit in a vacuum or the popularity he's gained over the last three years, Crash is not that. So I kind of take issue to him being the "Banjo-Kazooie" of the pass for a reason I can only assume is the similar aesthetics and genre that they share.

I feel like in a lot of ways Ultimate has people feeling like these big requests are just gonna get fast-tracked to playing out when unfortunately, more often than not, it's gonna take a while to send that message. Again, twenty years for Banjo and three for Crash.
I guess it really depends on how you view it.

I was going more for a comparison in terms of gameplay style and aesthetics as the potential "Platformer Mascot" character for fighter pass 2.

But, In terms of demand, I'll will agree with you that Crash hasn't reached the levels of demand (It's on the rise though) of Banjo-Kazooie which for me is to be expected as one was an N64 icon (During Smash's Bros inception) and the other was a PS1 icon, older Nintendo/Smash fans would naturally go with Banjo-Kazooie likely because of the franchise exposure even though Crash Bandicoot is the bigger name/icon.

Last edited:

Technomage

Smash Champion
On a basic level, yeah. But: :ultryu: , :ultken: and :ult_terry: already play pretty damn differently from each other. Ryu generally prefers confirming into Hadokens and just play traditional Street Fighter footsies, Ken benefits a lot from combo extensions and getting people into SHORYUKENs. Terry, meanwhile, is Mr. "oops-you-hit-a-button-in-neutral-here's-45%" because he doesn't have Ken's extensions but devastating confirms.

Morrigan would likely share inputs, cancelling into specials and facing-the-opponent, yes - but she has temporary Flight for starters, which alone drastically gives her more aerial mobility than the three FGC characters in the game. Some of her other unique attacks include a missile barrage (Finishing Shower), Vector Drain is a grab that can function as a slight life drain (IIRC).

Of the moves she does share with Ryu and Ken: Soul Fist has different properties from Hadoken and Shadow Blade goes in a more diagonal angle than Shoryuken does. She's also able to cancel these into Flight, at least in UMV3.

While this does remind me of her UMVC3 days, which was infamous for Soul Fist + Astral Vision (the copy from across the stage) spam, I don't think she'd neccessarily play like that. At least all the time. She'd probably be able to extend and confirm comboes - but she'd also likely be very light, to account for her Flight and more aerial mobility overall. She might have some disjoints unlike the three already in, but those might not be as safe as the other FGC characters' tilts or whatever. She'd still likely be more focused on the spacing game as a result.
Interesting. Now I'm starting to get interested in Morrigan as a Smasher.

Now, the question is:
where would the character appear on the Smash Ultimate poster should he or she get in?
Hmmmm, I think potential candidates could include:

That empty space surrounded by Sheik, Diddy, Yoshi, and Samus
Above Game & Watch, and below Duck Hunt
Maybe directly above Shulk and Pyra

SKX31 made a good post for how his gameplan could work assuming no gimmicks a while ago about momentum iirc which works for the character, but for a final smash? Easy, have Crash wear Aku Aku and run in the enemy, go to a cutscene where he looks behind himself to blow raspberries at who he caught before crashing into something, setting a boulder free, in a panicked state, he runs away, running the trapped opponent once more before they get crushed by the boulder
Hilarious. It also fits Crash's personality. XD

Louie G.

Smash Hero

To piggyback on this, I believe that Morrigan's "gimmick" would probably play into the EX Meter that Darkstalkers helped standardize. Some mechanic where her special attacks could be enhanced in a similar but more lenient fashion to Cloud's Limit Break specials feels fitting and would give her a flair all her own up against the other fighting game boys.

She'd definitely be a lot more aerial centric as well, potentially having a slight air dash in the form of her little jet booster which could make for some very interesting mixups. It's kinda crazy to me that we don't have a Smash character who can properly air dash yet, even though we've already touched well upon unique aerial properties (since Melee!).

Last edited:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
You say this like FF7 had anything beyond the absolute bare minimum in the base game. Sure, we don't have spirits and music from the other FFs, but it seems a bit disingenuous to claim that Sephiroth's inclusion did nothing for improving for FF's representation in Smash.
Because it didn’t really. It only really improved FF7’s lack of representation and as there is far more to FF than just the 7 universe in terms of scope, FF is still poorly represented, just slightly less now. Then again, Sephiroth didn’t make it in because of the lack of FF representation but because of his legacy just like how Chun-Li would get in due to her legacy.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Banjo is a unique case because the support from him started at the beginning of things, but between the buyout and Spencer's tweet it wasn't really maintained because people thought he was off the table. It's not like Banjo had twenty years of sustained demand. It was there, it largely dissipated, and then it returned with a vengeance to the level as if some big Brawl-era inclusion had failed to get in for both Brawl and 4.

It picked up at the place it would've naturally been had Banjo stayed with Nintendo, but for some reason not been included. Which at that point, would be at the top of the charts.

Crash, on the other hand, never experienced much demand until his series actually started rising up from the rubble pile it was under. And that didn't happen until post-ballot. And even then, he didn't hit his stride until his games started releasing on the Switch, which put his peak very recently, all things considered.

Banjo still had more demand than Crash when they were both active, but they also weren't really in the same situation. No character was really in the same situation as Banjo. But like I said, it wasn't seen as Crash vs. Banjo. If anything it was Banjo vs. Steve. Banjo and Crash have similarities in style and genre, but no one ever thought they were mutually exclusive. If anything, getting one western character would only mean good things for getting more.

Last edited:

Dan Quixote

Smash Lord
On the topic of Chun-Li, if she does get in then I really, really hope she has her moveset from the more modern Street Fighter games, with as few overt references to SFII as possible. We had that enough with Ryu and Ken. And I love how Ryu and Ken play! But two fighters like that is pretty much enough. Sakurai has this tendency to be as "classic" as possible heh. And yes I know that Chun-Li obviously has a lot of parts of her modern moveset carried over from SFII, but idk stylize them to look like the modern incarnations or something. The stage too should hopefully be from a newer game.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
On the topic of Chun-Li, if she does get in then I really, really hope she has her moveset from the more modern Street Fighter games, with as few overt references to SFII as possible. We had that enough with Ryu and Ken. And I love how Ryu and Ken play! But two fighters like that is pretty much enough. Sakurai has this tendency to be as "classic" as possible heh. And yes I know that Chun-Li obviously has a lot of parts of her modern moveset carried over from SFII, but idk stylize them to look like the modern incarnations or something. The stage too should hopefully be from a newer game.
Yeah I agree, although to remain that classic flair that Sakurai has an affinity for I'd probably opt more toward direct inspiration from the Alpha games and / or Third Strike. Especially the latter because Chun-Li is particularly dominant in that game - and her animations are incredible so I'd love to see some of those replicated in Ultimate. Third Strike in general is gorgeous, lmao.

Also, similarly to what I was talking about with Morrigan, if they wanted to lean into Alpha with Chun-Li they may want to take advantage of the fact that it was the first Street Fighter game to incorporate its own EX Meter.

In any case, at least the Alpha outfit is a must. I will say though that Chun-Li's classic SFII stage is a perfect vessel for cameos, since it's a bustling street corner... but maybe they can take more direct influence from SFV's iteration of the concept to shake things up.

Last edited:

The Rhythm Theif

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-2028-5151-9144
Yeah I agree, although to remain that classic flair that Sakurai has an affinity for I'd probably opt more toward direct inspiration from the Alpha games and / or Third Strike. Especially the latter because Chun-Li is particularly dominant in that game - and her animations are incredible so I'd love to see some of those replicated in Ultimate.

In any case, at least the Alpha outfit is a must.
My thoughts on Chun-Li exactly.

Last edited:

cashregister9

Smash Hero
Last edited:

Technomage

Smash Champion
So today is the last day of Golden Week and it should be the morning of the 6th in Japan in a couple of hours. So perhaps the semi big Nintendo news for May will be announced tonight or tomorrow.
I hope so, especially with a new Smash fighter announcement. Speculation is starting to get older than Mr. Burns. 💤

Last edited:

Gnateb

Smash Journeyman
Nintendo revealed a new game

It looks like Dreams fused with WarioWare DIY

The Nodon would be cool spirits.
I'm actually gonna get this. I love this kind of thing. Dreams, MM1, and MM2 were all super fun.

Last edited:

Flik

Smash Journeyman
My Top 10 Most Wanted in no order:

Adol Christin (Ys)
Sakura Shinguji (Sakura Wars)
Kazuya Mishima (Tekken)
Siegfreid Schtauffen (Soul Calibur)
Ryu Hayabusa (Ninja Gaiden)
X (Mega Man X)
Captain Commando
Miriam (Bloodstained)
Geno (Super Mario RPG)
Dixie Kong (Donkey Kong)

Some still have chances, some have no chance at all and all of them seem unlikely :dizzy:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom